Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ncs1
Description: neuronal calcium sensor 1
Alias: Freq, neuronal calcium sensor 1, NCS-1, frequenin-like protein, frequenin-like ubiquitous protein
- McFerran B, Graham M, Burgoyne R. Neuronal Ca2+ sensor 1, the mammalian homologue of frequenin, is expressed in chromaffin and PC12 cells and regulates neurosecretion from dense-core granules. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:22768-72 pubmed..No effect of overexpression was seen on GH release because of Ca2+ in permeabilized cells suggesting that NCS-1 may have a regulatory but not direct role in neurosecretion. ..
- Rajebhosale M, Greenwood S, Vidugiriene J, Jeromin A, Hilfiker S. Phosphatidylinositol 4-OH kinase is a downstream target of neuronal calcium sensor-1 in enhancing exocytosis in neuroendocrine cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:6075-84 pubmed..Taken together, the present data indicate that NCS-1 modulates the activity of PI4K, leading to increased levels of phosphoinositides and concomitant enhancement of exocytosis. ..
- Saab B, Georgiou J, Nath A, Lee F, Wang M, Michalon A, et al. NCS-1 in the dentate gyrus promotes exploration, synaptic plasticity, and rapid acquisition of spatial memory. Neuron. 2009;63:643-56 pubmed publisher..Here we show that inducible, modest overexpression of neuronal calcium sensor 1 (Ncs1) selectively in the adult murine dentate gyrus (DG) promotes a specific form of exploratory ..
- Olafsson P, Soares H, Herzog K, Wang T, Morgan J, Lu B. The Ca2+ binding protein, frequenin is a nervous system-specific protein in mouse preferentially localized in neurites. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1997;44:73-82 pubmed..The distribution and subcellular localization of Mfreq may help understand its cellular function. ..
- Kapp Barnea Y, Ninio Many L, Hirschberg K, Fukuda M, Jeromin A, Sagi Eisenberg R. Neuronal calcium sensor-1 and phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase beta stimulate extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 signaling by accelerating recycling through the endocytic recycling compartment. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4130-41 pubmed..Our results further identify the ERC as a crucial determinant in controlling ERK1/2 signaling. ..
- Chandra K, Sharma Y, Chary K. Characterization of low-energy excited states in the native state ensemble of non-myristoylated and myristoylated neuronal calcium sensor-1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1814:334-44 pubmed publisher..Theoretical simulations reveal that these low-energy excited states are within an energy band of 2-4 kcal/mol with respect to the native state. ..
- Garcia N, Lanuza M, Besalduch N, Santafe M, Jeromin A, Tomas J. Localization of neuronal calcium sensor-1 at the adult and developing rat neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci Res. 2005;82:1-9 pubmed..These results suggest that NCS-1 is involved in the formation and function of presynaptic nerve terminal part of the neuromuscular junction during synaptogenesis and in adult mammals. ..
- McFerran B, Weiss J, Burgoyne R. Neuronal Ca(2+) sensor 1. Characterization of the myristoylated protein, its cellular effects in permeabilized adrenal chromaffin cells, Ca(2+)-independent membrane association, and interaction with binding proteins, suggesting a role in rapid Ca(2+). J Biol Chem. 1999;274:30258-65 pubmed..This differs from the Ca(2+) myristoyl switch model for the closely related recoverin and suggests a possible action in rapid Ca(2+) signal transduction in response to local Ca(2+) signals. ..
- Haynes L, Fitzgerald D, Wareing B, O Callaghan D, Morgan A, Burgoyne R. Analysis of the interacting partners of the neuronal calcium-binding proteins L-CaBP1, hippocalcin, NCS-1 and neurocalcin delta. Proteomics. 2006;6:1822-32 pubmed..These findings provide new clues to the functional roles of the neuronal calcium sensor proteins. ..
- Yip P, Wong L, Sears T, Yáñez Muñoz R, McMahon S. Cortical overexpression of neuronal calcium sensor-1 induces functional plasticity in spinal cord following unilateral pyramidal tract injury in rat. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000399 pubmed publisher..cortical neurons forming the corticospinal tract (CST) normally have low levels of the neuronal calcium sensor-1 (NCS1) protein...
- Zheng Q, Bobich J, Vidugiriene J, McFadden S, Thomas F, Roder J, et al. Neuronal calcium sensor-1 facilitates neuronal exocytosis through phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase. J Neurochem. 2005;92:442-51 pubmed
- Chen C, Yu L, Zhang P, Jiang J, Zhang Y, Chen X, et al. Human neuronal calcium sensor-1 shows the highest expression level in cerebral cortex. Neurosci Lett. 2002;319:67-70 pubmed..Our results suggest that NCS-1 in human brain might be involved in a variety of brain functions such as sensory processing, motor control, emotional control, learning and memory. ..
- Pandalaneni S, Karuppiah V, Saleem M, Haynes L, Burgoyne R, Mayans O, et al. Neuronal Calcium Sensor-1 Binds the D2 Dopamine Receptor and G-protein-coupled Receptor Kinase 1 (GRK1) Peptides Using Different Modes of Interactions. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:18744-56 pubmed publisher..This appears to be driven by the variability of the conformation of the C-lobe-binding site, which has ramifications for the target specificity and diversity of NCS-1. ..
- McCue H, Haynes L, Burgoyne R. The diversity of calcium sensor proteins in the regulation of neuronal function. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2010;2:a004085 pubmed publisher..In this article, we summarize synaptotagmins in neurotransmitter release, the neuronal roles of calmodulin, and the functional significance of the NCS and the CaBP/calneuron protein families of neuronal Ca(2+) sensors. ..
- Lourenssen S, Jeromin A, Roder J, Blennerhassett M. Intestinal inflammation modulates expression of the synaptic vesicle protein neuronal calcium sensor-1. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2002;282:G1097-104 pubmedThe calcium-binding protein neuronal calcium sensor 1 (NCS-1) is involved in modulation of neurotransmitter release in the peripheral and central nervous systems...
- Brackmann M, Zhao C, Kuhl D, Manahan Vaughan D, Braunewell K. MGluRs regulate the expression of neuronal calcium sensor proteins NCS-1 and VILIP-1 and the immediate early gene arg3.1/arc in the hippocampus in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;322:1073-9 pubmed..Therefore, mGluRs at concentrations which induce synaptic plasticity regulate the expression of IEGs and NCS proteins in different time frames and thus contribute to late phases of synaptic plasticity. ..
- Rosa D, Souza R, Souza B, Motta B, Caetano F, Jornada L, et al. NCS-1 expression in rat brain after electroconvulsive stimulation. Neurochem Res. 2007;32:81-5 pubmed..The aim of this work was to analyze the expression of NCS-1 (neuronal calcium sensor 1, a protein that was found to be altered in post-mortem prefrontal cortex of schizophrenic patients) in ..
- Aravind P, Chandra K, Reddy P, Jeromin A, Chary K, Sharma Y. Regulatory and structural EF-hand motifs of neuronal calcium sensor-1: Mg 2+ modulates Ca 2+ binding, Ca 2+ -induced conformational changes, and equilibrium unfolding transitions. J Mol Biol. 2008;376:1100-15 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the importance of Mg(2+) as a modulator of calcium homeostasis and active-state behavior of NCS-1. ..
- Guimarães M, Reis H, Guimarães L, Carneiro D, Ribeiro F, Gomez M, et al. Modulation of muscarinic signaling in PC12 cells overexpressing neuronal Ca2+ sensor-1 protein. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2009;55 Suppl:OL1138-50 pubmed
- Scalettar B, Rosa P, Taverna E, Francolini M, Tsuboi T, Terakawa S, et al. Neuronal calcium sensor-1 binds to regulated secretory organelles and functions in basal and stimulated exocytosis in PC12 cells. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:2399-412 pubmed..These results also reveal interesting similarities and differences between transport organelles in differentiated neuroendocrine cells and neurons. ..
- de Castro E, Nef S, Fiumelli H, Lenz S, Kawamura S, Nef P. Regulation of rhodopsin phosphorylation by a family of neuronal calcium sensors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;216:133-40 pubmed..Together, our data suggest a general role for NCS proteins in the regulation of calcium-dependent phosphorylation in the nervous system. ..
- Ren X, Shand S, Takimoto K. Effective association of Kv channel-interacting proteins with Kv4 channel is mediated with their unique core peptide. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:43564-70 pubmed..Because the three identified regions surround the large hydrophobic crevice based on the NCS-1 crystal structure, this crevice may be the association site of KChIPs for the channel protein. ..
- Bahi N, Friocourt G, Carrie A, Graham M, Weiss J, Chafey P, et al. IL1 receptor accessory protein like, a protein involved in X-linked mental retardation, interacts with Neuronal Calcium Sensor-1 and regulates exocytosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:1415-25 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that IL1RAPL may regulate calcium-dependent exocytosis and provide insight into the understanding of physiopathological mechanisms underlying cognitive impairment resulting from IL1RAPL dysfunction. ..
- Kawasaki T, Nishio T, Kurosawa H, Roder J, Jeromin A. Spatiotemporal distribution of neuronal calcium sensor-1 in the developing rat spinal cord. J Comp Neurol. 2003;460:465-75 pubmed..NCS-1 can serve as a Ca(2+)-sensor not only in neurons but also in radial glial cells or even in radially oriented astrocytes in the adult rat spinal cord. ..
- Taverna E, Francolini M, Jeromin A, Hilfiker S, Roder J, Rosa P. Neuronal calcium sensor 1 and phosphatidylinositol 4-OH kinase beta interact in neuronal cells and are translocated to membranes during nucleotide-evoked exocytosis. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:3909-22 pubmedb>Neuronal calcium sensor 1 (NCS-1) belongs to a family of EF-hand calcium-binding proteins and is mainly expressed in neurons and neuroendocrine cells, where it causes facilitation of neurotransmitter release through unknown mechanisms...
- de Barry J, Janoshazi A, Dupont J, Procksch O, Chasserot Golaz S, Jeromin A, et al. Functional implication of neuronal calcium sensor-1 and phosphoinositol 4-kinase-beta interaction in regulated exocytosis of PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18098-111 pubmed..PI4K-beta complex in regulated exocytosis. ..