Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ncor1
Description: nuclear receptor co-repressor 1
Alias: Rxrip13, nuclear receptor corepressor 1, N-CoR, N-CoR1, N-Cor/SMRT corepressor, Rip13, NCoR
- Yoon H, Chan D, Huang Z, Li J, Fondell J, Qin J, et al. Purification and functional characterization of the human N-CoR complex: the roles of HDAC3, TBL1 and TBLR1. EMBO J. 2003;22:1336-46 pubmed..Together, our data reveal the roles of HDAC3 and TBL/TBLR1 and provide evidence for the functional importance of histone interaction in repression mediated by SMRT-N-CoR complexes. ..
- Zhang J, Kalkum M, Chait B, Roeder R. The N-CoR-HDAC3 nuclear receptor corepressor complex inhibits the JNK pathway through the integral subunit GPS2. Mol Cell. 2002;9:611-23 pubmed..More importantly, we show here that the N-CoR-HDAC3 complex inhibits JNK activation through the associated GPS2 subunit and thus could potentially provide an alternative mechanism for hormone-mediated antagonism of AP-1 function. ..
- van der Laan S, Lachize S, Schouten T, Vreugdenhil E, de Kloet E, Meijer O. Neuroanatomical distribution and colocalisation of nuclear receptor corepressor (N-CoR) and silencing mediator of retinoid and thyroid receptors (SMRT) in rat brain. Brain Res. 2005;1059:113-21 pubmed..Taken together, these findings are consistent with the idea that the uneven neuroanatomical distribution of N-CoR and SMRT protein may contribute to the site-specific effects exerted by hormones, such as glucocorticoids, in the brain. ..
- Ishii S, Kurasawa Y, Wong J, Yu Lee L. Histone deacetylase 3 localizes to the mitotic spindle and is required for kinetochore-microtubule attachment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4179-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies raise the interesting possibility that acetylation-deacetylation of mitotic spindle components may be essential for mitotic spindle function. ..
- Voss T, Demarco I, Booker C, Day R. Functional interactions with Pit-1 reorganize co-repressor complexes in the living cell nucleus. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3277-88 pubmedThe co-repressor proteins SMRT and NCoR concentrate in specific subnuclear compartments and function with DNA-binding factors to inhibit transcription...
- Chmelar R, Buchanan G, Need E, Tilley W, Greenberg N. Androgen receptor coregulators and their involvement in the development and progression of prostate cancer. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:719-33 pubmed
- Picard F, Kurtev M, Chung N, Topark Ngarm A, Senawong T, Machado De Oliveira R, et al. Sirt1 promotes fat mobilization in white adipocytes by repressing PPAR-gamma. Nature. 2004;429:771-6 pubmed..Sirt1 represses PPAR-gamma by docking with its cofactors NCoR (nuclear receptor co-repressor) and SMRT (silencing mediator of retinoid and thyroid hormone receptors)...
- Simons S. Glucocorticoid receptor cofactors as therapeutic targets. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2010;10:613-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, studies of all three parameters reveal new factors acting at various stages of receptor action, thereby increasing the potential therapeutic targets for adjusting GR actions in pathological situations. ..
- Furuya F, Guigon C, Zhao L, Lu C, Hanover J, Cheng S. Nuclear receptor corepressor is a novel regulator of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6116-26 pubmedThe nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR) regulates the activities of DNA-binding transcription factors...
- Wang L, Tankersley L, Tang M, Potter J, Mezey E. Regulation of alpha 2(I) collagen expression in stellate cells by retinoic acid and retinoid X receptors through interactions with their cofactors. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004;428:92-8 pubmed
- Evert B, Araujo J, Vieira Saecker A, de Vos R, Harendza S, Klockgether T, et al. Ataxin-3 represses transcription via chromatin binding, interaction with histone deacetylase 3, and histone deacetylation. J Neurosci. 2006;26:11474-86 pubmed..and represses transcription by recruitment of the histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3), the nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR), and deacetylation of histones bound to the promoter...
- Heinzel T, Lavinsky R, Mullen T, Soderstrom M, Laherty C, Torchia J, et al. A complex containing N-CoR, mSin3 and histone deacetylase mediates transcriptional repression. Nature. 1997;387:43-8 pubmed
- Daverey A, Saxena R, Tewari S, Goel S, Dwivedi A. Expression of estrogen receptor co-regulators SRC-1, RIP140 and NCoR and their interaction with estrogen receptor in rat uterus, under the influence of ormeloxifene. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;116:93-101 pubmed publisher..was aimed to examine the changes in expression pattern of co-regulatory proteins SRC-1 (co-activator), RIP140 and NCoR (co-repressors) and their interaction with ERalpha in rat uterus under the influence of ormeloxifene (Orm) and ..
- Dai Y, Ngo D, Forman L, Qin D, Jacob J, Faller D. Sirtuin 1 is required for antagonist-induced transcriptional repression of androgen-responsive genes by the androgen receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:1807-21 pubmed..Collectively, these findings identify SIRT1 as a corepressor of AR and elucidate a new molecular pathway relevant to prostate cancer growth and approaches to therapy. ..
- Nomura T, Khan M, Kaul S, Dong H, Wadhwa R, Colmenares C, et al. Ski is a component of the histone deacetylase complex required for transcriptional repression by Mad and thyroid hormone receptor. Genes Dev. 1999;13:412-23 pubmed..The involvement of c-Ski in the HDAC complex indicates that the function of the HDAC complex is important for oncogenesis. ..
- Harding H, Atkins G, Jaffe A, Seo W, Lazar M. Transcriptional activation and repression by RORalpha, an orphan nuclear receptor required for cerebellar development. Mol Endocrinol. 1997;11:1737-46 pubmed..Thus, transcriptional regulation by RORalpha is complex and likely to be regulated in a cell type- and target gene-specific manner. ..
- Bosquiazzo V, Varayoud J, Muñoz de Toro M, Luque E, Ramos J. Effects of neonatal exposure to bisphenol A on steroid regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression and endothelial cell proliferation in the adult rat uterus. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:86-95 pubmed publisher..cells than in controls, a higher expression of silencing mediator of retinoic acid and thyroid hormone receptor (NCOR1, also known as SMRT) corepressor was evidenced in the same compartment...
- Hall J, McDonnell D. Coregulators in nuclear estrogen receptor action: from concept to therapeutic targeting. Mol Interv. 2005;5:343-57 pubmed..This review also describes current efforts aimed at developing pharmaceutical agents that target ER-cofactor interactions as therapeutics for estrogen-associated pathologies. ..
- Wang D, Xia X, Weiss R, Refetoff S, Yen P. Distinct and histone-specific modifications mediate positive versus negative transcriptional regulation of TSHalpha promoter. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9853 pubmed publisher..Of note, cAMP recruited pCREB, CBP/p300, and PCAF to the promoter whereas T(3) caused dissociation of NCoR/SMRT and HDAC3...
- Hong Wei G, Lan L, De Guo X, Zhong Hao L, Peng R, Zhi Qiang L, et al. NCoR negatively regulates adipogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2015;51:749-58 pubmed publisherThe nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR) regulates the activities of gene transcription. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) derived from bone marrow are multipotent cells which can differentiate into osteoblasts and adipocytes...
- Kim S, Ho S, Hong S, Kim K, So E, Christoffolete M, et al. A novel mechanism of thyroid hormone-dependent negative regulation by thyroid hormone receptor, nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR), and GAGA-binding factor on the rat cD44 promoter. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14545-55 pubmed..We demonstrate that nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR) enhances thyroid hormone receptor (TR)-mediated basal transactivation by a weak TR...
- Pourcet B, Pineda Torra I, Derudas B, Staels B, Glineur C. SUMOylation of human peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha inhibits its trans-activity through the recruitment of the nuclear corepressor NCoR. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:5983-92 pubmed publisher..by recruitment of coactivators such as SRC1 and CBP/p300 and is inhibited by binding of corepressors such as NCoR and SMRT...
- Ghisletti S, Huang W, Jepsen K, Benner C, Hardiman G, Rosenfeld M, et al. Cooperative NCoR/SMRT interactions establish a corepressor-based strategy for integration of inflammatory and anti-inflammatory signaling pathways. Genes Dev. 2009;23:681-93 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that, while the nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR) and silencing mediator of retinoic acid and thyroid hormone receptor (SMRT) corepressors establish repression ..
- Qu F, Wang F, Yin R, Ding G, El Prince M, Gao Q, et al. A molecular mechanism underlying ovarian dysfunction of polycystic ovary syndrome: hyperandrogenism induces epigenetic alterations in the granulosa cells. J Mol Med (Berl). 2012;90:911-23 pubmed publisher..epigenetic alterations of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma 1 (PPARG1), nuclear corepressor 1 (NCOR1), and histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3) genes in granulosa cells (GCs) of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) women and ..
- Iso T, Sartorelli V, Poizat C, Iezzi S, Wu H, Chung G, et al. HERP, a novel heterodimer partner of HES/E(spl) in Notch signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6080-9 pubmed..Thus, Notch signaling relies on cooperation between HES and HERP, two transcriptional repressors with distinctive repression mechanisms which, either as homo- or as heterodimers, regulate target gene expression. ..
- Sardi S, Murtie J, Koirala S, Patten B, Corfas G. Presenilin-dependent ErbB4 nuclear signaling regulates the timing of astrogenesis in the developing brain. Cell. 2006;127:185-97 pubmed..This pathway could be of importance for neural stem cell biology and for understanding the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- You S, Liao X, Weiss R, Lazar M. The interaction between nuclear receptor corepressor and histone deacetylase 3 regulates both positive and negative thyroid hormone action in vivo. Mol Endocrinol. 2010;24:1359-67 pubmed publisher..the absence of TH, TH receptors repress genes that are TH-activated by recruiting the nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR), which exists in a tight complex with histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3)...
- Jessen H, Kolodkin M, Bychowski M, Auger C, Auger A. The nuclear receptor corepressor has organizational effects within the developing amygdala on juvenile social play and anxiety-like behavior. Endocrinology. 2010;151:1212-20 pubmed publisher..Little is known about the role of corepressors, such as nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR), on the organization of behavior...
- Guan H, Ishizuka T, Chui P, Lehrke M, Lazar M. Corepressors selectively control the transcriptional activity of PPARgamma in adipocytes. Genes Dev. 2005;19:453-61 pubmed..Thus, selective modulation of adipocyte PPARgamma target genes by TZDs involves the dissociation of corepressors by direct and indirect mechanisms. ..
- Macejova D, Dvorak Z, Vrzal R, Ulrichova J, Ondkova S, Brtko J. The effect of all-trans retinoic acid and/or colchicine on expression of rexinoid and thyroid hormone nuclear receptors and their coregulators in primary rat hepatocytes. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2007;26:240-2 pubmed..Treatment with these components, either alone or in combination, induced differences of the expression profiles between distinct treatment groups. ..
- Seol W, Mahon M, Lee Y, Moore D. Two receptor interacting domains in the nuclear hormone receptor corepressor RIP13/N-CoR. Mol Endocrinol. 1996;10:1646-55 pubmed..Differences between the interactions observed in the different systems suggest that corepressor function may be modified by additional factors present in various cell types. ..
- Rochette Egly C, Germain P. Dynamic and combinatorial control of gene expression by nuclear retinoic acid receptors (RARs). Nucl Recept Signal. 2009;7:e005 pubmed publisher..Here we will review these mechanisms, focusing on how kinase signaling and the proteasome pathway cooperate to influence the dynamics of RAR transcriptional activity. ..
- Martinez de Arrieta C, Koibuchi N, Chin W. Coactivator and corepressor gene expression in rat cerebellum during postnatal development and the effect of altered thyroid status. Endocrinology. 2000;141:1693-8 pubmed..These results indicate that coactivator and corepressor messenger RNAs exhibit differential expression through cerebellar development but are not regulated by TH during this period. ..
- Girault I, Bieche I, Lidereau R. Role of estrogen receptor alpha transcriptional coregulators in tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer. Maturitas. 2006;54:342-51 pubmed..Many altered pathways may account for tamoxifen resistance which may be best studied by multigene approaches. ..
- Alenghat T, Meyers K, Mullican S, Leitner K, Adeniji Adele A, Avila J, et al. Nuclear receptor corepressor and histone deacetylase 3 govern circadian metabolic physiology. Nature. 2008;456:997-1000 pubmed publisher..The nuclear receptor corepressor 1 (Ncor1) functions as an activating subunit for the chromatin modifying enzyme histone deacetylase 3 (..
- Boutell J, Thomas P, Neal J, Weston V, Duce J, Harper P, et al. Aberrant interactions of transcriptional repressor proteins with the Huntington's disease gene product, huntingtin. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:1647-55 pubmed..The relocalization of repressor proteins in HD brain may alter transcription and be involved in the pathology of the disease. ..
- Wu K, Liu M, Li A, Donninger H, Rao M, Jiao X, et al. Cell fate determination factor DACH1 inhibits c-Jun-induced contact-independent growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:755-67 pubmed..DACH1 coprecipitated the histone deacetylase proteins (HDAC1, HDAC2, and NCoR), providing a mechanism by which DACH1 represses c-Jun activity through the conserved delta domain...
- González Arenas A, Neri Gomez T, Guerra Araiza C, Camacho Arroyo I. Sexual dimorphism in the content of progesterone and estrogen receptors, and their cofactors in the lung of adult rats. Steroids. 2004;69:351-6 pubmed..Our results suggest a sexual dimorphism in the content of PR, ER-beta, and SMRT in the rat lung as well as a relation of their content to the physiological levels of progesterone and estradiol. ..
- Tiefenbach J, Novac N, Ducasse M, Eck M, Melchior F, Heinzel T. SUMOylation of the corepressor N-CoR modulates its capacity to repress transcription. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1643-51 pubmed..Mutation of K152 to R in RD1, for example, not only significantly reduced repression of a reporter gene, but also abolished the effect of Ubc9 on transcriptional repression. ..
- Schuler M, Pette D. Quantification of thyroid hormone receptor isoforms, 9-cis retinoic acid receptor gamma, and nuclear receptor co-repressor by reverse-transcriptase PCR in maturing and adult skeletal muscles of rat. Eur J Biochem. 1998;257:607-14 pubmed..Expression levels of the nuclear receptor co-repressor (NCoR) were measured in the same muscles because responses to thyroid hormones during muscle maturation might not only ..
- Macejova D, Baranova M, Liska J, Brtko J. Expression of nuclear hormone receptors, their coregulators and type I iodothyronine 5'-deiodinase gene in mammary tissue of nonlactating and postlactating rats. Life Sci. 2005;77:2584-93 pubmed
- Feng X, Jiang Y, Meltzer P, Yen P. Transgenic targeting of a dominant negative corepressor to liver blocks basal repression by thyroid hormone receptor and increases cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:15066-72 pubmed..Additionally, compensatory increases in endogenous SMRT and NCoR mRNA were observed in hypothyroid transgenic mice...
- Malik I, Baumgartner B, Naz N, Sheikh N, Moriconi F, Ramadori G. Changes in gene expression of DOR and other thyroid hormone receptors in rat liver during acute-phase response. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;342:261-72 pubmed publisher..Transcripts specific for DOR, nuclear receptor co-repressor 1 (NCoR-1), and TR?1 were down-regulated with a minimum at 6-12 h, whereas expression for TR?1 and TR?2 was slightly and ..
- Vella K, Ramadoss P, Costa e Sousa R, Astapova I, Ye F, Holtz K, et al. Thyroid hormone signaling in vivo requires a balance between coactivators and corepressors. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1564-75 pubmed publisher..Conversely, mice expressing a mutant nuclear corepressor 1 (Ncor1) allele that cannot interact with TR?, termed NCoR?ID, have low TH levels and normal TSH...
- Soriano F, Chawla S, Skehel P, Hardingham G. SMRT-mediated co-shuttling enables export of class IIa HDACs independent of their CaM kinase phosphorylation sites. J Neurochem. 2013;124:26-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, SMRT's presence may render Class IIa HDACs exportable by a wider range of signals than those which simply promote direct phosphorylation. ..
- Schuler M, Buhler S, Pette D. Effects of contractile activity and hypothyroidism on nuclear hormone receptor mRNA isoforms in rat skeletal muscle. Eur J Biochem. 1999;264:982-8 pubmed..The nuclear hormone receptor corepressor (NCoR) mRNA was quantified by noncompetitive RT-PCR in the same muscles...
- Pascual G, Fong A, Ogawa S, Gamliel A, Li A, Perissi V, et al. A SUMOylation-dependent pathway mediates transrepression of inflammatory response genes by PPAR-gamma. Nature. 2005;437:759-63 pubmed..SUMOylation of the PPAR-gamma ligand-binding domain, which targets PPAR-gamma to nuclear receptor corepressor (NCoR)-histone deacetylase-3 (HDAC3) complexes on inflammatory gene promoters...
- Choi K, Oh S, Kang H, Lee Y, Haam S, Kim H, et al. The functional relationship between co-repressor N-CoR and SMRT in mediating transcriptional repression by thyroid hormone receptor alpha. Biochem J. 2008;411:19-26 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that both SMRT and N-CoR are limited in cells and that knocking down either of them results in co-repressor-free TR and consequently de-repression of TR target genes. ..
- Iannacone E, Yan A, Gauger K, Dowling A, Zoeller R. Thyroid hormone exerts site-specific effects on SRC-1 and NCoR expression selectively in the neonatal rat brain. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002;186:49-59 pubmed
- Astapova I, Lee L, Morales C, Tauber S, Bilban M, Hollenberg A. The nuclear corepressor, NCoR, regulates thyroid hormone action in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19544-9 pubmed publisher..expression of target genes in the absence of triiodothyronine (T(3)) through the recruitment of the corepressors, NCoR and SMRT...
- Yang J, Fuller P. Interactions of the mineralocorticoid receptor--within and without. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;350:196-205 pubmed publisher..This review will discuss the current understanding of interactions involving the MR and highlight their relevance to ligand- or tissue-specificity as well as their suitability as therapeutic targets. ..
- Camacho Arroyo I, Neri Gomez T, González Arenas A, Guerra Araiza C. Changes in the content of steroid receptor coactivator-1 and silencing mediator for retinoid and thyroid hormone receptors in the rat brain during the estrous cycle. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;94:267-72 pubmed
- Seol W, Choi H, Moore D. Isolation of proteins that interact specifically with the retinoid X receptor: two novel orphan receptors. Mol Endocrinol. 1995;9:72-85 pubmed