Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ncoa1
Description: nuclear receptor coactivator 1
Alias: SRC-1, nuclear receptor coactivator 1, steroid receptor coactivator 1
- Flajollet S, Lefebvre B, Cudejko C, Staels B, Lefebvre P. The core component of the mammalian SWI/SNF complex SMARCD3/BAF60c is a coactivator for the nuclear retinoic acid receptor. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;270:23-32 pubmed..This coactivating property is dependent on SRC1 expression, showing that HATs and SWI/SNF cooperate in this retinoid-controlled transcriptional process. ..
- Hsiao P, Fryer C, Trotter K, Wang W, Archer T. BAF60a mediates critical interactions between nuclear receptors and the BRG1 chromatin-remodeling complex for transactivation. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6210-20 pubmed..Thus, in addition to previously identified BAF250, BAF60a may provide another critical and direct link between nuclear receptors and the BRG1 complex that is required for promoter recruitment and subsequent chromatin remodeling. ..
- Carvallo L, Henriquez B, Paredes R, Olate J, Onate S, Van Wijnen A, et al. 1alpha,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3-enhanced expression of the osteocalcin gene involves increased promoter occupancy of basal transcription regulators and gradual recruitment of the 1alpha,25-dihydroxy vitamin D3 receptor-SRC-1 coactivator complex. J Cell Physiol. 2008;214:740-9 pubmed..Together, our results support a model where VDR preferentially recruits SRC-1 to enhance bone-specific OC gene transcription. ..
- Gonzalez M, Carlberg C. Cross-repression, a functional consequence of the physical interaction of non-liganded nuclear receptors and POU domain transcription factors. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:18501-9 pubmed..Taken together this study suggests that cross-repression should occur in all tissues in which POU domain factors and non-liganded NRs meet each other. ..
- Iannacone E, Yan A, Gauger K, Dowling A, Zoeller R. Thyroid hormone exerts site-specific effects on SRC-1 and NCoR expression selectively in the neonatal rat brain. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002;186:49-59 pubmed
- McInerney E, Rose D, Flynn S, Westin S, Mullen T, Krones A, et al. Determinants of coactivator LXXLL motif specificity in nuclear receptor transcriptional activation. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3357-68 pubmed
- Molenda Figueira H, Murphy S, Shea K, Siegal N, Zhao Y, Chadwick J, et al. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 from brain physically interacts differentially with steroid receptor subtypes. Endocrinology. 2008;149:5272-9 pubmed publisher..The present findings reveal distinct contrasts with previous cell culture studies and emphasize the importance of studying receptor-coactivator interactions using biologically relevant tissue. ..
- Ranson R, Santer R, Watson A. SRC-1 localisation in lumbosacral spinal cord of male and female Wistar rats. Neuroreport. 2003;14:1821-4 pubmed..Dorsal horn labelling appeared similarly reduced suggesting a possible age-related down-regulation of the transcription mediated by steroid receptors in some spinal neurons. ..
- Kershah S, Desouki M, Koterba K, Rowan B. Expression of estrogen receptor coregulators in normal and malignant human endometrium. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;92:304-13 pubmed..The nuclear receptor coregulators SRC-1, SRC-2, SRC-3, N-CoR, and SMRT were found to be up-regulated in malignant endometrium. Our findings suggest that these proteins may have a role in the development of endometrial carcinoma. ..
- Jenkins B, Pullen C, Darimont B. Novel glucocorticoid receptor coactivator effector mechanisms. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2001;12:122-6 pubmed..The emerging picture shows coactivators as flexible, but precise, coordinators of complex and dynamic networks, in which transcriptional regulation by GR and other NRs is linked to other signaling pathways. ..
- Auger A, Tetel M, McCarthy M. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 (SRC-1) mediates the development of sex-specific brain morphology and behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:7551-5 pubmed..Our data indicate that SRC-1 protein expression is critically involved in the hormone-dependent development of normal male reproductive behavior and brain morphology. ..
- González Arenas A, Neri Gomez T, Guerra Araiza C, Camacho Arroyo I. Sexual dimorphism in the content of progesterone and estrogen receptors, and their cofactors in the lung of adult rats. Steroids. 2004;69:351-6 pubmed..Our results suggest a sexual dimorphism in the content of PR, ER-beta, and SMRT in the rat lung as well as a relation of their content to the physiological levels of progesterone and estradiol. ..
- Cavarretta I, Martini L, Motta M, Smith C, Melcangi R. SRC-1 is involved in the control of the gene expression of myelin protein Po. J Mol Neurosci. 2004;24:217-26 pubmed..Altogether, these data indicate for the first time that in rat Schwann cells, SRC-1 plays a role in the regulation of one of the most typical proteins of peripheral myelin. ..
- Green A, Burney C, Granger C, Paish E, El Sheikh S, Rakha E, et al. The prognostic significance of steroid receptor co-regulators in breast cancer: co-repressor NCOR2/SMRT is an independent indicator of poor outcome. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008;110:427-37 pubmed..This study investigates the pattern of expression of the steroid receptor co-regulators NCOA1/SRC1, NCOA3/RAC3, NCOR2/SMRT, and CBP/p300 in breast cancer...
- Massinen S, Tammimies K, Tapia Paez I, Matsson H, Hokkanen M, Söderberg O, et al. Functional interaction of DYX1C1 with estrogen receptors suggests involvement of hormonal pathways in dyslexia. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:2802-12 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into the function of DYX1C1 and link neuronal migration and developmental dyslexia to the estrogen-signaling effects in the brain. ..
- Misiti S, Schomburg L, Yen P, Chin W. Expression and hormonal regulation of coactivator and corepressor genes. Endocrinology. 1998;139:2493-500 pubmed..These tissue variations may have physiological implications for heterogeneity of hormone responses that are observed in normal and malignant tissues. ..
- Kim S, Cheong C, Sohn Y, Goo Y, Oh W, Park J, et al. Multiple developmental defects derived from impaired recruitment of ASC-2 to nuclear receptors in mice: implication for posterior lenticonus with cataract. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8409-14 pubmed..Our results provide a novel insight into the molecular and histopathological mechanism of posterior lenticonus with cataract and attest to the importance of ASC-2 as a pivotal transcriptional coactivator of nuclear receptors in vivo...
- Linja M, Porkka K, Kang Z, Savinainen K, Janne O, Tammela T, et al. Expression of androgen receptor coregulators in prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:1032-40 pubmed..In addition, gene amplification of SRC1 in one of the xenografts implies that, in some tumors, genetic alteration of SRC1 may provide a growth advantage. ..
- Belandia B, Parker M. Functional interaction between the p160 coactivator proteins and the transcriptional enhancer factor family of transcription factors. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:30801-5 pubmed..These results suggest that the p160 proteins could be bona fide coactivators of the TEF family of transcription factors. ..
- Hayashi Y, Ohmori S, Ito T, Seo H. A splicing variant of Steroid Receptor Coactivator-1 (SRC-1E): the major isoform of SRC-1 to mediate thyroid hormone action. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;236:83-7 pubmed..SRC-1E enhanced thyroid hormone dependent transactivation of reporter gene expression more profoundly than SRC-1 or SRC-1(-Q). Taken together, it was suggested that SRC-1E is the major isoform of SRC-1 to mediate thyroid hormone action. ..
- Macejova D, Dvorak Z, Vrzal R, Ulrichova J, Ondkova S, Brtko J. The effect of all-trans retinoic acid and/or colchicine on expression of rexinoid and thyroid hormone nuclear receptors and their coregulators in primary rat hepatocytes. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2007;26:240-2 pubmed..Treatment with these components, either alone or in combination, induced differences of the expression profiles between distinct treatment groups. ..
- Chmelar R, Buchanan G, Need E, Tilley W, Greenberg N. Androgen receptor coregulators and their involvement in the development and progression of prostate cancer. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:719-33 pubmed
- Wang L, Tankersley L, Tang M, Potter J, Mezey E. Regulation of alpha 2(I) collagen expression in stellate cells by retinoic acid and retinoid X receptors through interactions with their cofactors. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004;428:92-8 pubmed
- Hall J, McDonnell D. Coregulators in nuclear estrogen receptor action: from concept to therapeutic targeting. Mol Interv. 2005;5:343-57 pubmed..This review also describes current efforts aimed at developing pharmaceutical agents that target ER-cofactor interactions as therapeutics for estrogen-associated pathologies. ..
- Meijer O, Kalkhoven E, van der Laan S, Steenbergen P, Houtman S, Dijkmans T, et al. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 splice variants differentially affect corticosteroid receptor signaling. Endocrinology. 2005;146:1438-48 pubmed..We conclude that the cellular differences in SRC-1a to SRC-1e ratio demonstrated in vivo might be involved in cell-specific responses to corticosteroids in a promoter- and ligand-dependent way. ..
- Mak H, Hoare S, Henttu P, Parker M. Molecular determinants of the estrogen receptor-coactivator interface. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3895-903 pubmed
- Xie H, Sadim M, Sun Z. RORgammat recruits steroid receptor coactivators to ensure thymocyte survival. J Immunol. 2005;175:3800-9 pubmed..Our results thus clearly demonstrate that RORgammat recruits SRCs to impose a gene expression pattern required to expand the life span of thymocytes in vivo, which increases the opportunities for assembling a functional TCR. ..
- Macejova D, Baranova M, Liska J, Brtko J. Expression of nuclear hormone receptors, their coregulators and type I iodothyronine 5'-deiodinase gene in mammary tissue of nonlactating and postlactating rats. Life Sci. 2005;77:2584-93 pubmed
- Miard S, Dombrowski L, Carter S, Boivin L, Picard F. Aging alters PPARgamma in rodent and human adipose tissue by modulating the balance in steroid receptor coactivator-1. Aging Cell. 2009;8:449-59 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that strategies aimed at increasing SRC-1 expression and recruitment to PPARgamma upon aging might help improve age-associated metabolic disorders. ..
- Vella K, Ramadoss P, Costa e Sousa R, Astapova I, Ye F, Holtz K, et al. Thyroid hormone signaling in vivo requires a balance between coactivators and corepressors. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1564-75 pubmed publisher..Mice with mutations in the thyroid hormone receptor beta (TR?) gene that cannot bind steroid receptor coactivator 1 (SRC-1) and Src-1(-/-) mice both have phenotypes similar to that of RTH...
- Chen M, Ni J, Zhang Y, Muyan M, Yeh S. ERAP75 functions as a coactivator to enhance estrogen receptor alpha transactivation in prostate stromal cells. Prostate. 2008;68:1273-82 pubmed publisher..The understanding of the mechanism of ER alpha transactivation in prostate stromal cells could possibly help in the development of new strategies to control or treat prostate cancer by targeting its transactivation protein complex. ..
- Mitev Y, Wolf S, Almeida O, Patchev V. Developmental expression profiles and distinct regional estrogen responsiveness suggest a novel role for the steroid receptor coactivator SRC-1 as discriminative amplifier of estrogen signaling in the rat brain. FASEB J. 2003;17:518-9 pubmed
- Carvallo L, Henriquez B, Olate J, Van Wijnen A, Lian J, Stein G, et al. The 1alpha,25-dihydroxy Vitamin D3 receptor preferentially recruits the coactivator SRC-1 during up-regulation of the osteocalcin gene. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;103:420-4 pubmed..We propose a model where specific protein-DNA and protein-protein interactions that occur within the context of the OC gene promoter in osteoblastic cells stabilize the preferential association of the VDR-SRC-1 complex. ..
- Trousson A, Grenier J, Fonte C, Massaad Massade L, Schumacher M, Massaad C. Recruitment of the p160 coactivators by the glucocorticoid receptor: dependence on the promoter context and cell type but not hypoxic conditions. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;104:305-11 pubmed..Altogether, these results reveal that the p160s are not interchangeable and that their recruitment by the GR is a multiparametric event. ..
- Yousefi B, Jingu H, Ohta M, Umezu M, Koibuchi N. Postnatal changes of steroid receptor coactivator-1 immunoreactivity in rat cerebellar cortex. Thyroid. 2005;15:314-9 pubmed..By Western blotting, SRC-1 protein level was greatest at P15, at which time TH action may be obvious. Taken together, the differential expression of SRC-1 may be crucial in mediating TH action during cerebellar development. ..
- Igarashi Migitaka J, Takeshita A, Koibuchi N, Yamada S, Ohtani Kaneko R, Hirata K. Differential expression of p160 steroid receptor coactivators in the rat testis and epididymis. Eur J Endocrinol. 2005;153:595-604 pubmed..Further, the strong cytoplasmic localization of TRAM-1 protein in epithelial cells of epididymis suggests that TRAM-1 may have additional role(s) in transcriptional regulation. ..
- Verma S, Ismail A, Gao X, Fu G, Li X, O Malley B, et al. The ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme UBCH7 acts as a coactivator for steroid hormone receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8716-26 pubmed..We also demonstrate that UBCH7 interacts with steroid receptor coactivator 1 (SRC-1) and that UBCH7 coactivation function is dependent on SRC-1...
- Yang J, Fuller P. Interactions of the mineralocorticoid receptor--within and without. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;350:196-205 pubmed publisher..This review will discuss the current understanding of interactions involving the MR and highlight their relevance to ligand- or tissue-specificity as well as their suitability as therapeutic targets. ..
- Nicolaides N, Galata Z, Kino T, Chrousos G, Charmandari E. The human glucocorticoid receptor: molecular basis of biologic function. Steroids. 2010;75:1-12 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the basic aspects of the structure and actions of the human (h) GR, and the molecular basis of its biologic functions. ..
- Iwasaki T, Koibuchi N, Chin W. Synovial sarcoma translocation (SYT) encodes a nuclear receptor coactivator. Endocrinology. 2005;146:3892-9 pubmed..These results indicate that SYT activates transcription, possibly through CoAA, to interact with the histone acetyltransferase complex. ..
- Rochette Egly C, Germain P. Dynamic and combinatorial control of gene expression by nuclear retinoic acid receptors (RARs). Nucl Recept Signal. 2009;7:e005 pubmed publisher..Here we will review these mechanisms, focusing on how kinase signaling and the proteasome pathway cooperate to influence the dynamics of RAR transcriptional activity. ..
- Martinez de Arrieta C, Koibuchi N, Chin W. Coactivator and corepressor gene expression in rat cerebellum during postnatal development and the effect of altered thyroid status. Endocrinology. 2000;141:1693-8 pubmed..These results indicate that coactivator and corepressor messenger RNAs exhibit differential expression through cerebellar development but are not regulated by TH during this period. ..
- Wang X, Herzog B, Waltner Law M, Hall R, Shiota M, Granner D. The synergistic effect of dexamethasone and all-trans-retinoic acid on hepatic phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene expression involves the coactivator p300. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:34191-200 pubmed..The functional importance of p300 in the Dex/RA response is illustrated by the observation that selective reduction of this coactivator, but not that of CREB-binding protein, abolishes the synergistic effect in H4IIE cells. ..
- Qi C, Chang J, Zhu Y, Yeldandi A, Rao S, Zhu Y. Identification of protein arginine methyltransferase 2 as a coactivator for estrogen receptor alpha. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:28624-30 pubmed..In this respect PRMT2 differs from coactivators PRMT1 and CARM1 (coactivator-associated arginine methyltransferase). These results suggest that PRMT2 is a novel ERalpha coactivator. ..
- Zhang D, Guo Q, Bian C, Zhang J, Cai W, Su B. Expression of steroid receptor coactivator-1 was regulated by postnatal development but not ovariectomy in the hippocampus of rats. Dev Neurosci. 2011;33:57-63 pubmed publisher..The above results showed that hippocampal SRC-1 is regulated by postnatal development but not ovariectomy, and that the exact role of SRC-1 in the estradiol regulation of hippocampus needs further investigation. ..
- Camacho Arroyo I, Neri Gomez T, González Arenas A, Guerra Araiza C. Changes in the content of steroid receptor coactivator-1 and silencing mediator for retinoid and thyroid hormone receptors in the rat brain during the estrous cycle. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;94:267-72 pubmed
- Laganiere J, Deblois G, Giguere V. Functional genomics identifies a mechanism for estrogen activation of the retinoic acid receptor alpha1 gene in breast cancer cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:1584-92 pubmed
- Liu M, Huangfu X, Zhao Y, Zhang D, Zhang J. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 mediates letrozole induced downregulation of postsynaptic protein PSD-95 in the hippocampus of adult female rats. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;154:168-75 pubmed publisher..Additionally, since letrozole is frequently used to treat estrogen-sensitive breast cancer, the above results also indicate its potential side effects in clinical administration. ..
- Molenda Figueira H, Williams C, Griffin A, Rutledge E, Blaustein J, Tetel M. Nuclear receptor coactivators function in estrogen receptor- and progestin receptor-dependent aspects of sexual behavior in female rats. Horm Behav. 2006;50:383-92 pubmed..These findings support our previous studies and provide further evidence that SRC-1 and CBP function together to regulate ovarian hormone action in behaviorally-relevant brain regions. ..