Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: N cadherin
Description: cadherin 2
Alias: N-cadherin, cadherin-2, cadherin 2, type 1, N-cadherin (neuronal), neural cadherin
Products: N cadherin
- Yasuda S, Tanaka H, Sugiura H, Okamura K, Sakaguchi T, Tran U, et al. Activity-induced protocadherin arcadlin regulates dendritic spine number by triggering N-cadherin endocytosis via TAO2beta and p38 MAP kinases. Neuron. 2007;56:456-71 pubmed..This pathway of regulated endocytosis of N-cadherin via protocadherin/TAO2beta/MEK3/p38 provides a molecular mechanism for transducing neuronal activity into changes in synaptic morphologies. ..
- Stan A, Pielarski K, Brigadski T, Wittenmayer N, Fedorchenko O, Gohla A, et al. Essential cooperation of N-cadherin and neuroligin-1 in the transsynaptic control of vesicle accumulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11116-21 pubmed publisher..This cooperation of two cell adhesion systems provides a mechanism for coupling bidirectional synapse maturation mediated by neuroligin-1 to cell type recognition processes mediated by classical cadherins. ..
- Wei C, Francis R, Xu X, Lo C. Connexin43 associated with an N-cadherin-containing multiprotein complex is required for gap junction formation in NIH3T3 cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19925-36 pubmed....
- Bamji S, Shimazu K, Kimes N, Huelsken J, Birchmeier W, Lu B, et al. Role of beta-catenin in synaptic vesicle localization and presynaptic assembly. Neuron. 2003;40:719-31 pubmed..This study defines a specific role for cadherins and catenins in synapse organization beyond their roles in mediating cell adhesion. ..
- Tang L, Hung C, Schuman E. A role for the cadherin family of cell adhesion molecules in hippocampal long-term potentiation. Neuron. 1998;20:1165-75 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that cadherins are involved in synaptic plasticity, and the stability of cadherin-cadherin bonds may be regulated by synaptic stimulation. ..
- Bozdagi O, Shan W, Tanaka H, Benson D, Huntley G. Increasing numbers of synaptic puncta during late-phase LTP: N-cadherin is synthesized, recruited to synaptic sites, and required for potentiation. Neuron. 2000;28:245-59 pubmed..N-cadherin may play a critical role in L-LTP by holding nascent pre-and postsynaptic membranes in apposition, enabling incipient synapses to acquire function and contribute to potentiation. ..
- Harrison O, Bahna F, Katsamba P, Jin X, Brasch J, Vendome J, et al. Two-step adhesive binding by classical cadherins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:348-57 pubmed publisher..These results reconcile apparently disparate results from prior structural studies and suggest that X dimers are binding intermediates that facilitate the formation of strand-swapped dimers. ..
- Bozdagi O, Wang X, Nikitczuk J, Anderson T, Bloss E, Radice G, et al. Persistence of coordinated long-term potentiation and dendritic spine enlargement at mature hippocampal CA1 synapses requires N-cadherin. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9984-9 pubmed publisher....
- Okamura K, Tanaka H, Yagita Y, Saeki Y, Taguchi A, Hiraoka Y, et al. Cadherin activity is required for activity-induced spine remodeling. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:961-72 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that cadherin-based adhesion machinery coupled with the actin-cytoskeleton is critical for the remodeling of synaptic apposition zone. ..
- Hertig C, Butz S, Koch S, Eppenberger Eberhardt M, Kemler R, Eppenberger H. N-cadherin in adult rat cardiomyocytes in culture. II. Spatio-temporal appearance of proteins involved in cell-cell contact and communication. Formation of two distinct N-cadherin/catenin complexes. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 1):11-20 pubmed....
- El Sayegh T, Arora P, Laschinger C, Lee W, Morrison C, Overall C, et al. Cortactin associates with N-cadherin adhesions and mediates intercellular adhesion strengthening in fibroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:5117-31 pubmed..Thus cortactin, and phosphorylation of its tyrosine residues, are important for N-cadherin-mediated intercellular adhesion strength. ..
- Derycke L, Morbidelli L, Ziche M, De Wever O, Bracke M, Van Aken E. Soluble N-cadherin fragment promotes angiogenesis. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2006;23:187-201 pubmed..Our results suggest that soluble N-cadherin stimulates migration of endothelial cells through the FGF-receptor. ..
- Nygren M, Døsen Dahl G, Stubberud H, Walchli S, Munthe E, Rian E. beta-catenin is involved in N-cadherin-dependent adhesion, but not in canonical Wnt signaling in E2A-PBX1-positive B acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells. Exp Hematol. 2009;37:225-33 pubmed publisher..Instead, beta-catenin is involved in N-cadherin-dependent adherence junctions, suggesting for the first time that leukemia-stroma interactions may be mediated via an N-cadherin-dependent mechanism. ..
- Huntley G, Elste A, Patil S, Bozdagi O, Benson D, Steward O. Synaptic loss and retention of different classic cadherins with LTP-associated synaptic structural remodeling in vivo. Hippocampus. 2012;22:17-28 pubmed publisher....
- Guo H, Lee I, Kamar M, Pierce M. N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V expression levels regulate cadherin-associated homotypic cell-cell adhesion and intracellular signaling pathways. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52412-24 pubmed..Aberrant N-linked beta(1,6) branching that occurs during oncogenesis can, therefore, lessen cell-cell adhesion, contributing to increased cellular motility and invasiveness. ..
- Simonneau L, Gallego M, Pujol R. Comparative expression patterns of T-, N-, E-cadherins, beta-catenin, and polysialic acid neural cell adhesion molecule in rat cochlea during development: implications for the nature of Kölliker's organ. J Comp Neurol. 2003;459:113-26 pubmed..CAMs) during rat cochlea ontogeny, from embryo day 16 to adulthood, with the use of immunohistochemistry: neural cadherin (N-cad) and polysialic acid neural CAM (PSA-NCAM) as two different neural CAM paradigms; epithelial cadherin (..
- Hu L, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A. The kinase domains of obscurin interact with intercellular adhesion proteins. FASEB J. 2013;27:2001-12 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our studies demonstrate that the obscurin kinase domains are enzymatically active and may be involved in the regulation of cell adhesion. ..
- Matsunami H, Miyatani S, Inoue T, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, et al. Cell binding specificity of mouse R-cadherin and chromosomal mapping of the gene. J Cell Sci. 1993;106 ( Pt 1):401-9 pubmed..Thus, the cell binding specificity of R-cadherin is entirely conserved between the two species, suggesting a conserved role for this protein in morphogenesis. We also located the mouse R-cadherin gene to chromosome 2. ..
- Lin H, Huang Y, Wang Y, Jia J. Spatiotemporal profile of N-cadherin expression in the mossy fiber sprouting and synaptic plasticity following seizures. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;358:201-5 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that N-cadherin may be involved in the pathfinding and synaptic specificity of MFS in mature brain after seizures, and can play an important role in the targeted growth of mossy fibers. ..
- Luo Y, Radice G. N-cadherin acts upstream of VE-cadherin in controlling vascular morphogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:29-34 pubmed..These findings provide a novel paradigm by which N-cadherin regulates angiogenesis, in part, by controlling VE-cadherin expression at the cell membrane. ..
- Gorski J, Gomez L, Scott J, Dell Acqua M. Association of an A-kinase-anchoring protein signaling scaffold with cadherin adhesion molecules in neurons and epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3574-90 pubmed..This neuronal regulation of AKAP79/150 targeting to cadherins may be important in functional and structural synaptic modifications underlying plasticity. ..
- Porlan E, Martí Prado B, Morante Redolat J, Consiglio A, Delgado A, Kypta R, et al. MT5-MMP regulates adult neural stem cell functional quiescence through the cleavage of N-cadherin. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:629-38 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the proliferative status of stem cells can be dynamically modulated by regulated cleavage of cell adhesion molecules. ..
- Sun Z, Li M, Li Z, Hill M, Meininger G. N-Cadherin, a novel and rapidly remodelling site involved in vasoregulation of small cerebral arteries. J Physiol. 2017;595:1987-2000 pubmed publisher..These observations provide compelling evidence that N-cadherin AJs are sensitive to pressure and vasomotor agonists in VSMCs and support a functional role of N-cadherin AJs in vasomotor regulation. ..
- BEKIROV I, Nagy V, Svoronos A, Huntley G, Benson D. Cadherin-8 and N-cadherin differentially regulate pre- and postsynaptic development of the hippocampal mossy fiber pathway. Hippocampus. 2008;18:349-63 pubmed....
- Manning J, Colussi P, Koblar S, Kumar S. Nedd1 expression as a marker of dynamic centrosomal localization during mouse embryonic development. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:751-64 pubmed publisher..This study reveals the localization of Nedd1 and the centrosome during important processes in mouse embryogenesis and provides a basis for further study into its role in development. ..
- Mayosi B, Fish M, Shaboodien G, Mastantuono E, Kraus S, Wieland T, et al. Identification of Cadherin 2 (CDH2) Mutations in Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..High-resolution melting analysis followed by Sanger sequencing was used to screen for mutations in cadherin 2 (CDH2) gene in unrelated genotype-negative patients with ARVC...
- Vendome J, Posy S, Jin X, Bahna F, Ahlsen G, Shapiro L, et al. Molecular design principles underlying ?-strand swapping in the adhesive dimerization of cadherins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:693-700 pubmed publisher..We use these findings to design site-directed mutations that transform a monomeric EC2-EC3 domain cadherin construct into a strand-swapped dimer. ..
- Valderrama F, Thevapala S, Ridley A. Radixin regulates cell migration and cell-cell adhesion through Rac1. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3310-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that radixin plays an important role in promoting cell migration by regulating Rac1-mediated epithelial polarity and formation of adherens junctions through Vav GEFs. ..
- Wang S, Celic I, Choi S, Riccomagno M, Wang Q, Sun L, et al. Dlg5 regulates dendritic spine formation and synaptogenesis by controlling subcellular N-cadherin localization. J Neurosci. 2014;34:12745-61 pubmed publisher..DLG5 regulates synaptogenesis by enhancing the cell surface localization of N-cadherin, revealing a key molecular mechanism for regulating the subcellular localization of this cell adhesion molecule during synaptogenesis. ..
- Hay E, Laplantine E, Geoffroy V, Frain M, Kohler T, Muller R, et al. N-cadherin interacts with axin and LRP5 to negatively regulate Wnt/beta-catenin signaling, osteoblast function, and bone formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:953-64 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that a previously unrecognized N-cadherin-axin-LRP5 interaction negatively regulates Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and is critical in the regulation of osteoblast function, bone formation, and bone mass. ..
- Lee N, Mruk D, Lee W, Cheng C. Is the cadherin/catenin complex a functional unit of cell-cell actin-based adherens junctions in the rat testis?. Biol Reprod. 2003;68:489-508 pubmed..These results thus unequivocally demonstrate that the cadherin/catenin complex, which can be up-regulated by testosterone, is indeed present between Sertoli and germ cells and is used for the assembly of functional AJs. ..
- Xu B, Washington A, Hinton B. PTEN signaling through RAF1 proto-oncogene serine/threonine kinase (RAF1)/ERK in the epididymis is essential for male fertility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:18643-8 pubmed publisher....
- Mohler P, Rivolta I, Napolitano C, LeMaillet G, Lambert S, Priori S, et al. Nav1.5 E1053K mutation causing Brugada syndrome blocks binding to ankyrin-G and expression of Nav1.5 on the surface of cardiomyocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:17533-8 pubmed..Together with previous work in neurons, these results in cardiomyocytes suggest that ankyrin-G participates in a common pathway for localization of voltage-gated Na(v) channels at sites of function in multiple excitable cell types. ..
- Thompson S, Blazeski A, Copeland C, Cohen D, Chen C, Reich D, et al. Acute slowing of cardiac conduction in response to myofibroblast coupling to cardiomyocytes through N-cadherin. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2014;68:29-37 pubmed publisher..We propose that myofibroblasts can impair the electrophysiological function of cardiac tissue through the application of contractile force to the cardiomyocyte membrane via N-cadherin junctions. ..
- Ferguson T, Scherer S. Neuronal cadherin (NCAD) increases sensory neurite formation and outgrowth on astrocytes. Neurosci Lett. 2012;522:108-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, the loss of NCAD greatly impairs the formation and extension neurites on astrocytes. ..
- Wanner I, Guerra N, Mahoney J, Kumar A, Wood P, Mirsky R, et al. Role of N-cadherin in Schwann cell precursors of growing nerves. Glia. 2006;54:439-59 pubmed....
- Karabekian Z, Gillum N, Wong E, Sarvazyan N. Effects of N-cadherin overexpression on the adhesion properties of embryonic stem cells. Cell Adh Migr. 2009;3:305-10 pubmed..The findings suggest that N-cadherin overexpression can facilitate electromechanical integration of stem cells into excitable tissues with endogenously high levels of N-cadherin, such as the heart and brain. ..
- Yam P, Pincus Z, Gupta G, Bashkurov M, Charron F, Pelletier L, et al. N-cadherin relocalizes from the periphery to the center of the synapse after transient synaptic stimulation in hippocampal neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79679 pubmed publisher..These results bring new information to the structural organization and activity-induced changes occurring at synapses, and suggest that N-cadherin relocalization may contribute to activity dependent changes at synapses. ..
- Jian M, Liu Y, Li Q, WOLKOWICZ P, Alexeyev M, Zmijewski J, et al. N-cadherin coordinates AMP kinase-mediated lung vascular repair. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2016;310:L71-85 pubmed publisher..This study provides insight into intrinsic repair mechanisms in the lung and supports AMPK stimulation as a modality for treating vascular disease. ..
- Lallemand D, Curto M, Saotome I, Giovannini M, McClatchey A. NF2 deficiency promotes tumorigenesis and metastasis by destabilizing adherens junctions. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1090-100 pubmed..Our studies indicate that merlin functions as a tumor and metastasis suppressor by controlling cadherin-mediated cell:cell contact. ..
- Govindarajan R, Chakraborty S, Johnson K, Falk M, Wheelock M, Johnson K, et al. Assembly of connexin43 into gap junctions is regulated differentially by E-cadherin and N-cadherin in rat liver epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:4089-107 pubmed publisher....
- Harrison O, Jin X, Hong S, Bahna F, Ahlsen G, Brasch J, et al. The extracellular architecture of adherens junctions revealed by crystal structures of type I cadherins. Structure. 2011;19:244-56 pubmed publisher..Our observations are consistent with a model for junction assembly involving strong trans and weak cis interactions localized in the ectodomain...
- Aiga M, Levinson J, Bamji S. N-cadherin and neuroligins cooperate to regulate synapse formation in hippocampal cultures. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:851-8 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that cadherins and NLs can act in concert to regulate synapse formation. ..
- Kaidoh T, Inoue T. N-cadherin expression in palisade nerve endings of rat vellus hairs. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:525-34 pubmed....
- Iijima Y, Nagai T, Mizukami M, Matsuura K, Ogura T, Wada H, et al. Beating is necessary for transdifferentiation of skeletal muscle-derived cells into cardiomyocytes. FASEB J. 2003;17:1361-3 pubmed..These results suggest that some part of skeletal muscle cells can transdifferentiate into cardiomyocytes and that direct cell-to-cell contact and contraction of neighboring cardiomyocytes are important for the transdifferentiation. ..
- Liu J, Li J, Li P, Wang Y, Liang Z, Jiang Y, et al. Loss of DLG5 promotes breast cancer malignancy by inhibiting the Hippo signaling pathway. Sci Rep. 2017;7:42125 pubmed publisher..In summary, loss of DLG5 expression promoted breast cancer malignancy by inactivating the Hippo signaling pathway and increasing nuclear YAP. ..
- Guillaume E, Comunale F, Do Khoa N, Planchon D, Bodin S, Gauthier Rouvière C. Flotillin microdomains stabilize cadherins at cell-cell junctions. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:5293-304 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data demonstrate that flotillin microdomains are required for cadherin stabilization at CCJs and for the formation of functional CCJs. ..
- Whaley Connell A, Habibi J, Panfili Z, Hayden M, Bagree S, Nistala R, et al. Angiotensin II activation of mTOR results in tubulointerstitial fibrosis through loss of N-cadherin. Am J Nephrol. 2011;34:115-25 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that Ang II activation of the AT(1)R contributes to PT brush border injury and remodeling, in part, due to enhanced mTOR/S6K1 signaling which promotes tubulointerstitial fibrosis through loss of N-cadherin. ..
- Jones M, Sabatini P, Lee F, Bendeck M, Langille B. N-cadherin upregulation and function in response of smooth muscle cells to arterial injury. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002;22:1972-7 pubmed..Therefore, N-cadherin may provide a novel target for therapies that are directed toward intimal proliferative disorders, including restenosis and vascular bypass graft failure. ..
- Schnädelbach O, Ozen I, Blaschuk O, Meyer R, Fawcett J. N-cadherin is involved in axon-oligodendrocyte contact and myelination. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:1084-93 pubmed..From these data we conclude that N-cadherin is important for the initial contact between a myelinating oligodendrocyte and axons and significantly contributes to the success of myelination. ..
- Poskanzer K, Needleman L, Bozdagi O, Huntley G. N-cadherin regulates ingrowth and laminar targeting of thalamocortical axons. J Neurosci. 2003;23:2294-305 pubmed....
- Bartelt Kirbach B, Langer Fischer K, Golenhofen N. Different regulation of N-cadherin and cadherin-11 in rat hippocampus. Cell Commun Adhes. 2010;17:75-82 pubmed publisher..These data hint at a critical role of N-cadherin at early embryonic stages and early synaptogenesis, whereas cadherin-11 might be more important for further stabilization of synapses in the postnatal period and adulthood. ..
- Xia W, Mruk D, Lee W, Cheng C. Differential interactions between transforming growth factor-beta3/TbetaR1, TAB1, and CD2AP disrupt blood-testis barrier and Sertoli-germ cell adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16799-813 pubmed..However, TGF-beta3 selectively disrupts Sertoli-germ cell adhesion in the seminiferous epithelium to facilitate germ cell migration without compromising BTB when TbetaRI interacts only with adaptor CD2AP. ..
- Wang T, Li Y, Chen K, Chen C, Wu C, Teng N, et al. SH2B1? regulates N-cadherin levels, cell-cell adhesion and nerve growth factor-induced neurite initiation. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:2063-74 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide significant new insights into how N-cadherin-mediated inter-cellular interactions may influence neurite initiation and how SH2B1? may regulate these processes. ..
- Lui W, Mruk D, Cheng C. Interactions among IQGAP1, Cdc42, and the cadherin/catenin protein complex regulate Sertoli-germ cell adherens junction dynamics in the testis. J Cell Physiol. 2005;202:49-66 pubmed..These results illustrate that the interactions among IQGAP1, Cdc42, and beta-catenin are crucial to the regulation of Sertoli-germ cell, but not Sertoli-Sertoli cell, AJ dynamics in the seminiferous epithelium. ..
- Gil Sanz C, Landeira B, Ramos C, Costa M, M ller U. Proliferative defects and formation of a double cortex in mice lacking Mltt4 and Cdh2 in the dorsal telencephalon. J Neurosci. 2014;34:10475-87 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that defects in adherens junctions components in mice massively affects progenitor cell proliferation and leads to a double cortex-like phenotype...
- Shan W, Yoshida M, Wu X, Huntley G, Colman D. Neural (N-) cadherin, a synaptic adhesion molecule, is induced in hippocampal mossy fiber axonal sprouts by seizure. J Neurosci Res. 2002;69:292-304 pubmed..Our findings show that N-cadherin is likely to be a key factor in responsive synaptogenesis following status epilepticus, where it functions as a mediator of de novo synapse formation. ..
- Hollnagel A, Grund C, Franke W, Arnold H. The cell adhesion molecule M-cadherin is not essential for muscle development and regeneration. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:4760-70 pubmed..It seems that N-cadherin or other cadherins can largely compensate for the lack of M-cadherin. ..
- Sabatini P, Zhang M, Silverman Gavrila R, Bendeck M, Langille B. Homotypic and endothelial cell adhesions via N-cadherin determine polarity and regulate migration of vascular smooth muscle cells. Circ Res. 2008;103:405-12 pubmed publisher....
- Chopra A, Tabdanov E, Patel H, Janmey P, Kresh J. Cardiac myocyte remodeling mediated by N-cadherin-dependent mechanosensing. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;300:H1252-66 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that cell-to-cell-mediated force perception and transmission are involved in the organization and development of cardiac structure and function...
- Lee N, Mruk D, Wong C, Cheng C. Regulation of Sertoli-germ cell adherens junction dynamics in the testis via the nitric oxide synthase (NOS)/cGMP/protein kinase G (PRKG)/beta-catenin (CATNB) signaling pathway: an in vitro and in vivo study. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:458-71 pubmed..These results illustrate that the CDH2/CATNB-mediated adhesion function in the testis is regulated, at least in part, via the NOS/cGMP/PRKG/CATNB pathway. ..
- Chen J, Zacharek A, Li Y, Li A, Wang L, Katakowski M, et al. N-cadherin mediates nitric oxide-induced neurogenesis in young and retired breeder neurospheres. Neuroscience. 2006;140:377-88 pubmed....