Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Munc13 1
Description: unc-13 homolog A
Alias: Munc13-1, Unc13h1, protein unc-13 homolog A
- Direct interaction of the rat unc-13 homologue Munc13-1 with the N terminus of syntaxinA Betz
Max Planck Institut fur experimentelle Medizin, Abteilung Molekulare Neurobiologie, Hermann Rein Strasse 3, D 37075 Gottingen, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 272:2520-6. 1997..It is possible that the phenotype of unc-13 and unc-18 mutations is caused by the inability of the respective mutated gene products to bind to syntaxin...
- Physical and functional interactions of Doc2 and Munc13 in Ca2+-dependent exocytotic machineryS Orita
Shionogi Institute for Medical Science, Settsu 566, Japan
J Biol Chem 272:16081-4. 1997..These results, together with the earlier findings that secretagogues produce DAG and elevate cytoplasmic Ca2+, suggest that the DAG-induced Doc2-Munc13 interactions play an important role in Ca2+-dependent exocytotic machinery...
- Munc13-1 is a presynaptic phorbol ester receptor that enhances neurotransmitter releaseA Betz
Max Planck Institut fur experimentelle Medizin, Abt Molekulare Neurobiologie, Gottingen, Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Neuron 21:123-36. 1998..These observations establish Munc13-1 as a novel presynaptic target of the diacylglycerol second messenger pathway that acts in parallel with protein kinase C to regulate neurotransmitter secretion...
- Mammalian homologues of Caenorhabditis elegans unc-13 gene define novel family of C2-domain proteinsN Brose
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas 75235, USA
J Biol Chem 270:25273-80. 1995..The presence of C1- and C2-domains in these proteins and the phenotype of the C. elegans mutants raise the possibility that Munc13s may have an essential signaling role during neurotransmitter release...
- Functional interaction of the active zone proteins Munc13-1 and RIM1 in synaptic vesicle primingA Betz
Max Planck Institut, für experimentelle Medizin, Abteilung Neurogenetik, AG Molekulare Neurobiologie, Hermann Rein Str 3, D 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Neuron 30:183-96. 2001..The Munc13-1/RIM1 interaction may create a functional link between synaptic vesicle tethering and priming, or it may regulate the priming reaction itself, thereby determining the number of fusion-competent vesicles...
- Beta phorbol ester- and diacylglycerol-induced augmentation of transmitter release is mediated by Munc13s and not by PKCsJeong Seop Rhee
Abteilung Membranbiophysik, Max Planck Institut fur biophysikalische Chemie, Am Fassberg 11, D 37077 Gottingen, Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Cell 108:121-33. 2002..Modulation of Munc13-1 activity by second messengers via the DAG/beta phorbol ester binding C(1) domain is essential for use-dependent alterations of synaptic efficacy and survival...
- Cast: a novel protein of the cytomatrix at the active zone of synapses that forms a ternary complex with RIM1 and munc13-1Toshihisa Ohtsuka
KAN Research Institute Inc, Kyoto 600 8815, Japan
J Cell Biol 158:577-90. 2002..These results suggest that these CAZ proteins are at least partly transported on the same vesicles during synapse formation...
- Binding of the Munc13-1 MUN domain to membrane-anchored SNARE complexesRong Guan
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Biochemistry 47:1474-81. 2008....
- Calmodulin and Munc13 form a Ca2+ sensor/effector complex that controls short-term synaptic plasticityHarald J Junge
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, Hermann Rein Strasse 3, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Cell 118:389-401. 2004....
- Structural basis for a Munc13-1 homodimer to Munc13-1/RIM heterodimer switchJun Lu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
PLoS Biol 4:e192. 2006....
- Role of the Doc2 alpha-Munc13-1 interaction in the neurotransmitter release processS Mochida
Department of Physiology, Tokyo Medical College, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:11418-22. 1998..1 mM Ca2+. These results suggest that the Doc2alpha-Munc13-1 interaction plays a role in a step before the final fusion step of synaptic vesicles with the presynaptic plasma membrane in the evoked neurotransmitter release process...
- Neuroligin-1 performs neurexin-dependent and neurexin-independent functions in synapse validationJaewon Ko
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5543, USA
EMBO J 28:3244-55. 2009..Thus, neuroligin-1 performs diverse synaptic functions by mechanisms that include as essential components of alpha-neurexin binding and neuroligin dimerization, but extend beyond these activities...
- Modular architecture of Munc13/calmodulin complexes: dual regulation by Ca2+ and possible function in short-term synaptic plasticityFernando Rodríguez-Castañeda
Department of NMR Based Structural Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Germany
EMBO J 29:680-91. 2010..This Ca(2+)/CaM-binding mode of Munc13 likely constitutes a key molecular correlate of the characteristic Ca(2+)-dependent modulation of short-term synaptic plasticity...
- Involvement of Rab3A in vesicle priming during exocytosis: interaction with Munc13-1 and Munc18-1Chien Chang Huang
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
Traffic 12:1356-70. 2011..Munc18-1 acts downstream of Munc13-1/RIM/Rab3A and interacts with syntaxin 1a allowing vesicle priming. Furthermore, Munc18-1 promotes Rab3A dissociation from vesicles, which then results in fusion...
- Munc13 homology domain-1 in CAPS/UNC31 mediates SNARE binding required for priming vesicle exocytosisChuenchanok Khodthong
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Cell Metab 14:254-63. 2011..The results show that MHD1 is a SNARE-binding domain and that SNARE protein binding is essential for CAPS function in dense-core vesicle exocytosis...
- Binding to Rab3A-interacting molecule RIM regulates the presynaptic recruitment of Munc13-1 and ubMunc13-2Yaisa S Andrews-Zwilling
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hermann Rein Strasse 3, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:19720-31. 2006..We conclude that one function of the Munc13/RIM1alpha interaction is the active zone recruitment of Munc13-1 and ubMunc13-2...
- Syntaxin opening by the MUN domain underlies the function of Munc13 in synaptic-vesicle primingXiaoyu Yang
Key Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics of the Ministry of Education, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Nat Struct Mol Biol 22:547-54. 2015..These results support the notion that orchestration of syntaxin-1 opening and SNARE-complex assembly underlies the central role of UNC-13-Munc13s in synaptic-vesicle priming. ..
- Regulation of insulin exocytosis by Munc13-1Laura Sheu
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:27556-63. 2003..In view of our findings, Munc13-1 is a potential drug target for therapeutic optimization of insulin secretion in diabetes...
- A novel brain-specific isoform of beta spectrin: isolation and its interaction with Munc13G Sakaguchi
Shionogi Institute for Medical Science, Settsu, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 248:846-51. 1998..Because spectrin has been shown to interact with the actin cytoskeleton which is involved in the exocytotic process, the present results suggest that the Munc13-beta SpIII sigma 1 interactions play a role in neurotransmitter release...
- Calcium-dependent activator protein for secretion 1 (CAPS1) binds to syntaxin-1 in a distinct mode from Munc13-1Leon Parsaud
Division of Fundamental Neurobiology, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
J Biol Chem 288:23050-63. 2013..We also propose that the preferential binding of CAPS1 to open syntaxin-1 can contribute to the stabilization of the open state of syntaxin-1 during its transition from "closed" state to the SNARE complex formation. ..
- The metabotropic glutamate receptor mGlu7 activates phospholipase C, translocates munc-13-1 protein, and potentiates glutamate release at cerebrocortical nerve terminalsRicardo Martín
Departamento de Bioquimica, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 285:17907-17. 2010..We propose that the mGlu7 receptor can facilitate or inhibit glutamate release through multiple pathways, thereby exerting homeostatic control of presynaptic function...
- Identification of a Munc13-sensitive step in chromaffin cell large dense-core vesicle exocytosisKwun Nok M Man
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, Gottingen, Germany
elife 4:. 2015..Our data demonstrate that the molecular steps of SV and LDCV priming are very similar while SV and LDCV docking mechanisms are distinct. ..
- Structural insights into the calmodulin-Munc13 interaction obtained by cross-linking and mass spectrometryKalina Dimova
Proteomics Group, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, Hermann Rein Strasse 3, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Biochemistry 48:5908-21. 2009....
- Genome-wide association study identifies 19p13.3 (UNC13A) and 9p21.2 as susceptibility loci for sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosisMichael A van Es
Department of Neurology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 41:1083-7. 2009..01 x 10(-8)) in the combined analysis of both stages. These SNPs are located at chromosome 9p21.2, in a linkage region for familial ALS with frontotemporal dementia found previously in several large pedigrees...
- Munc13-1 is required for presynaptic long-term potentiationYing Yang
Center for Translational Neuroscience, Department of Medicine Neurology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Neurosci 31:12053-7. 2011..These results advance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of presynaptic plasticity and suggest that modulation of vesicle priming may provide the cellular substrate for expression of LTP at mossy fiber synapses...
- The crystal structure of a Munc13 C-terminal module exhibits a remarkable similarity to vesicle tethering factorsWei Li
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Structure 19:1443-55. 2011..We propose a model whereby the MUN-CD module is central for Munc13 function but full activity requires adjacent sequences...
- Reconstitution of the vital functions of Munc18 and Munc13 in neurotransmitter releaseCong Ma
Key Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, Ministry of Education, and Institute of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Science 339:421-5. 2013....
- A role for the ubiquitin-proteasome system in activity-dependent presynaptic silencingXiaoping Jiang
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 30:1798-809. 2010..These results suggest that modulation of the UPS by electrical activity contributes to persistent presynaptic silencing by promoting the degradation of key presynaptic proteins...
- Munc13 C2B domain is an activity-dependent Ca2+ regulator of synaptic exocytosisOk Ho Shin
Department of Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 17:280-8. 2010....
- Mechanisms of biphasic insulin-granule exocytosis - roles of the cytoskeleton, small GTPases and SNARE proteinsZhanxiang Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Cell Sci 122:893-903. 2009....
- Munc13 mediates the transition from the closed syntaxin-Munc18 complex to the SNARE complexCong Ma
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 18:542-9. 2011....
- Characterization of Munc13-1 and insulin secretion during pancreatic development in ratsQ X Yuan
Department of Endocrinology, First Affiliated Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, 210029, China
J Endocrinol Invest 31:630-5. 2008..Munc13-1 may play an essential role in insulin exocytosis...
- Molecular in situ topology of Aczonin/Piccolo and associated proteins at the mammalian neurotransmitter release siteChristoph Limbach
Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University, S 75124 Uppsala, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:E392-401. 2011..At both conventional and ribbon synapses, CAST, Munc13, and RIM are segregated from Aczonin, closer to the PM, and Aczonin is positioned such that it may control the access of neurotransmitter vesicles to the fusion site...
- Expression, purification and characterization of critical domains of Munc13-1Cong Ma
Joint Laboratory of Huazhong University of Science and Technology and Institute of Biophysics, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 39:617-23. 2007..In addition, these purified recombinant proteins provide ideal starting materials for further biochemical, biophysical, and structural studies on mammalian Munc13 proteins...
- Intramolecular occlusion of the diacylglycerol-binding site in the C1 domain of munc13-1Nan Shen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Biochemistry 44:1089-96. 2005....
- Physical and functional interaction of the active zone proteins, CAST, RIM1, and Bassoon, in neurotransmitter releaseEtsuko Takao-Rikitsu
KAN Research Institute, Kyoto Research Park, Shimogyo ku, Kyoto 600 8815, Japan
J Cell Biol 164:301-11. 2004..These results indicate that CAST serves as a key component of the CAZ structure and is involved in neurotransmitter release by binding these CAZ proteins...
- Differential expression of two novel Munc13 proteins in rat brainI Augustin
Max Planck Institut fur experimentelle Medizin, Abteilung Molekulare Neurobiologie, Hermann Rein Strasse 3, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Biochem J 337:363-71. 1999..Munc13-2 and Munc13-3 are expressed in a complementary fashion and might act in concert with Munc13-1 to modulate neurotransmitter release...