Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mbl1
Description: mannose-binding lectin (protein A) 1
Alias: Mbpa, Mlb1, mannose-binding protein A, MBP-A, Mannose binding protein A, serum, mannan-binding protein, mannose binding lectin (A), mannose binding lectin 1, protein A, mannose binding lectin 2, protein C
- Ikeda K, Sannoh T, Kawasaki N, Kawasaki T, Yamashina I. Serum lectin with known structure activates complement through the classical pathway. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:7451-4 pubmed
- Wallis R, Shaw J, Uitdehaag J, Chen C, Torgersen D, Drickamer K. Localization of the serine protease-binding sites in the collagen-like domain of mannose-binding protein: indirect effects of naturally occurring mutations on protease binding and activation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14065-73 pubmed..Thus, the effect of the mutations is to destabilize the collagen-like domain, indirectly disrupting the binding sites for MASPs. In addition, at least one of the mutations has a further effect on the ability of MBP to activate MASPs. ..
- Weis W, Drickamer K. Trimeric structure of a C-type mannose-binding protein. Structure. 1994;2:1227-40 pubmed..Sequence alignments reveal that other C-type lectins are likely to have a similar oligomeric structure, but differences in their detailed organization will have an important role in determining their interactions with oligosaccharides. ..
- Heise C, Nicholls J, Leamy C, Wallis R. Impaired secretion of rat mannose-binding protein resulting from mutations in the collagen-like domain. J Immunol. 2000;165:1403-9 pubmed..The results suggest that defective secretion resulting from structural changes in the collagen-like domain is likely to be a contributory factor for MBP immunodeficiency. ..
- Wallis R, Dodd R. Interaction of mannose-binding protein with associated serine proteases: effects of naturally occurring mutations. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:30962-9 pubmed..Analysis of MASP binding by rat MBP containing naturally occurring mutations equivalent to those associated with human immunodeficiency indicates that binding to both truncated MASP-1 and MASP-2 proteins is defective in such mutants. ..
- Chen C, Wallis R. Two mechanisms for mannose-binding protein modulation of the activity of its associated serine proteases. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26058-65 pubmed..MASP-1 cleaves C2 almost as efficiently as MASP-2 does, but it does not cleave C4. Thus MASP-1 probably enhances complement activation triggered by MBP.MASP-2 complexes, but it cannot initiate activation itself. ..
- Drickamer K, Dordal M, Reynolds L. Mannose-binding proteins isolated from rat liver contain carbohydrate-recognition domains linked to collagenous tails. Complete primary structures and homology with pulmonary surfactant apoprotein. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:6878-87 pubmed..The entire structure of the mannose-binding proteins is homologous to dog pulmonary surfactant apoprotein. ..
- Ng K, Drickamer K, Weis W. Structural analysis of monosaccharide recognition by rat liver mannose-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:663-74 pubmed..3 M. These structures explain how MBPs recognize a wide range of monosaccharides and suggest how fine specificity differences between MBP-A and MBP-C may be achieved. ..
- Clemons K, Martinez M, Tong A, Stevens D. Resistance of MBL gene-knockout mice to experimental systemic aspergillosis. Immunol Lett. 2010;128:105-7 pubmed publisher..015). At the lowest inoculum used, deaths of KO mice were delayed, but survival was not significantly different than WT (P>0.05). These results suggest MBL may play a deleterious role in systemic aspergillosis. ..
- Walsh M, Bourcier T, Takahashi K, Shi L, Busche M, Rother R, et al. Mannose-binding lectin is a regulator of inflammation that accompanies myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury. J Immunol. 2005;175:541-6 pubmed..MBL is an example of a pattern recognition molecule that plays a dual role in modifying inflammatory responses to sterile and infectious injury. ..
- Gadjeva M, Paludan S, Thiel S, Slavov V, Ruseva M, Eriksson K, et al. Mannan-binding lectin modulates the response to HSV-2 infection. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004;138:304-11 pubmed..0369). This suggests that lack of MBL-mediated complement activation increases susceptibility to viral infection. ..
- Weis W, Kahn R, Fourme R, Drickamer K, Hendrickson W. Structure of the calcium-dependent lectin domain from a rat mannose-binding protein determined by MAD phasing. Science. 1991;254:1608-15 pubmed..The strong anomalous scattering observed at the Ho LIII edge demonstrates that traditional heavy atom complexes will be generally amenable to the MAD phasing method. ..
- Miller A, Phillips A, Gor J, Wallis R, Perkins S. Near-planar solution structures of mannose-binding lectin oligomers provide insight on activation of lectin pathway of complement. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:3930-45 pubmed publisher..They also provided insight on how MBL presents a structural template for the binding and auto-activation of the MBL-associated serine proteases to initiate the lectin pathway of complement activation. ..
- Fernandez Real J, Straczkowski M, Vendrell J, Soriguer F, Perez Del Pulgar S, Gallart L, et al. Protection from inflammatory disease in insulin resistance: the role of mannan-binding lectin. Diabetologia. 2006;49:2402-11 pubmed..Incubation of rat soleus muscle with human MBL markedly increased fatty acid oxidation. These findings suggest that MBL, previously thought only to be involved in inflammation and immune system function, affects metabolic pathways. ..
- Kuroki Y, Honma T, Chiba H, Sano H, Saitoh M, Ogasawara Y, et al. A novel type of binding specificity to phospholipids for rat mannose-binding proteins isolated from serum and liver. FEBS Lett. 1997;414:387-92 pubmed..L-MBP also bound to cardiolipin. These results provide evidence for a novel type of ligand binding specificity for MBPs, and raise the possibility that phospholipids are ligands for collectins. ..
- Venkatraman Girija U, Furze C, Toth J, Schwaeble W, Mitchell D, Keeble A, et al. Engineering novel complement activity into a pulmonary surfactant protein. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:10546-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, the active rather than the zymogen state is default in lectin.MASP complexes and must be inhibited through additional regions in circulating MBLs until triggered by pathogen recognition. ..
- Yang Y, Huang S, Yan X, Wu W. [Relationship between activation of mannan-binding lectin complement and NF-kappaB in diabetic nephropathy]. Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2011;42:490-3 pubmed..The expression of MBL was positively correlated with NF-kappaB expression. The activation of mannose-binding lectin complement participates in the onset and development of DN. ..
- Nakamura A, Okigaki M, Miura N, Suzuki C, Ohno N, Kametani F, et al. Involvement of mannose-binding lectin in the pathogenesis of Kawasaki disease-like murine vasculitis. Clin Immunol. 2014;153:64-72 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that some types of pathogens provoke the MBL-dependent complement pathway (lectin pathway) to cause and/or exacerbate KD-like vasculitis. ..
- Drickamer K, McCreary V. Exon structure of a mannose-binding protein gene reflects its evolutionary relationship to the asialoglycoprotein receptor and nonfibrillar collagens. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:2582-9 pubmed..The 3' end of a mannose-binding protein pseudogene has also been characterized. ..
- Weis W, Drickamer K, Hendrickson W. Structure of a C-type mannose-binding protein complexed with an oligosaccharide. Nature. 1992;360:127-34 pubmed..Two branches of the oligosaccharide crosslink neighbouring carbohydrate-recognition domains in the crystal, enabling multivalent binding to a single oligosaccharide chain to be visualized directly. ..
- Shi L, Takahashi K, Dundee J, Shahroor Karni S, Thiel S, Jensenius J, et al. Mannose-binding lectin-deficient mice are susceptible to infection with Staphylococcus aureus. J Exp Med. 2004;199:1379-90 pubmed..aureus infection in mice and raises the idea that the MBL gene may act as a disease susceptibility gene against staphylococci infections in humans. ..
- Wallis R. Dominant effects of mutations in the collagenous domain of mannose-binding protein. J Immunol. 2002;168:4553-8 pubmed..The dominant effects of the mutations demonstrate how the presence of a single mutant allele gives rise to the molecular defects that lead to the disease phenotype in heterozygous individuals. ..
- Wallis R, Lynch N, Roscher S, Reid K, Schwaeble W. Decoupling of carbohydrate binding and MASP-2 autoactivation in variant mannose-binding lectins associated with immunodeficiency. J Immunol. 2005;175:6846-51 pubmed..Analogous molecular defects in human MBL probably combine to create the mutant phenotypes of immunodeficient individuals. ..
- Zhang M, Takahashi K, Alicot E, Vorup Jensen T, Kessler B, Thiel S, et al. Activation of the lectin pathway by natural IgM in a model of ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Immunol. 2006;177:4727-34 pubmed..The results reveal that IgM binds initially to ischemic Ag providing a binding site for mannan-binding lectin which subsequently leads to activation of complement and injury. ..
- de Vries B, Walter S, Peutz Kootstra C, Wolfs T, van Heurn L, Buurman W. The mannose-binding lectin-pathway is involved in complement activation in the course of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am J Pathol. 2004;165:1677-88 pubmed..These data indicate that the MBL-pathway is involved in ischemia-induced complement activation. ..
- Jordan J, Montalto M, Stahl G. Inhibition of mannose-binding lectin reduces postischemic myocardial reperfusion injury. Circulation. 2001;104:1413-8 pubmed..Blockade of the lectin pathway with inhibitory mAbs protects the heart from ischemia-reperfusion by reducing neutrophil infiltration and attenuating proinflammatory gene expression. ..
- Ng K, Park Snyder S, Weis W. Ca2+-dependent structural changes in C-type mannose-binding proteins. Biochemistry. 1998;37:17965-76 pubmed..The highly conserved nature of Ca2+ site 2 suggests that the transitions observed in MBPs are general features of Ca2+ binding in C-type lectins. ..
- La Bonte L, Dokken B, Davis Gorman G, Stahl G, McDonagh P. The mannose-binding lectin pathway is a significant contributor to reperfusion injury in the type 2 diabetic heart. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2009;6:172-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate that the MBL pathway plays a key role in the severity of complement-mediated I/R injury in the type 2 diabetic heart. ..