Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ltbp1
Description: latent transforming growth factor beta binding protein 1
Alias: latent-transforming growth factor beta-binding protein 1, LTBP-1, LanC (bacterial lantibiotic synthetase component C)-like 1, TGF-beta-1-BP-1, transforming growth factor beta-1-binding protein 1, transforming growth factor beta-1-masking protein large subunit, transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) masking protein large subunit
- Saharinen J, Hyytiäinen M, Taipale J, Keski Oja J. Latent transforming growth factor-beta binding proteins (LTBPs)--structural extracellular matrix proteins for targeting TGF-beta action. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 1999;10:99-117 pubmed..The significance of this structural diversity is mostly unclear at present. ..
- Roth Eichhorn S, Kuhl K, Gressner A. Subcellular localization of (latent) transforming growth factor beta and the latent TGF-beta binding protein in rat hepatocytes and hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology. 1998;28:1588-96 pubmed..Baseline information is provided from which new hypotheses regarding intracellular functions of TGF-beta, LAP, and LTBP in liver parenchymal and stellate cells can be concluded. ..
- Pedrozo H, Schwartz Z, Gomez R, Ornoy A, Xin Sheng W, Dallas S, et al. Growth plate chondrocytes store latent transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta 1 in their matrix through latent TGF-beta 1 binding protein-1. J Cell Physiol. 1998;177:343-54 pubmed..transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) as well as a 290 kDa form containing latent TGF-beta binding protein-1 (LTBP1), which targets the latent complex to the matrix for storage...
- Pedrozo H, Schwartz Z, Mokeyev T, Ornoy A, Xin Sheng W, Bonewald L, et al. Vitamin D3 metabolites regulate LTBP1 and latent TGF-beta1 expression and latent TGF-beta1 incorporation in the extracellular matrix of chondrocytes. J Cell Biochem. 1999;72:151-65 pubmed..TGF-beta1 in latent form (LTGF-beta1) and store it in the extracellular matrix via LTGF-beta1 binding protein (LTBP1)...
- Westhoff J, Sawitza I, Keski Oja J, Gressner A, Breitkopf K. PDGF-BB induces expression of LTBP-1 but not TGF-beta1 in a rat cirrhotic fat storing cell line. Growth Factors. 2003;21:121-30 pubmed..This divergent regulation may represent an important mechanism for modulation of TGF-beta bioavailability. ..
- Dallas S, Sivakumar P, Jones C, Chen Q, Peters D, Mosher D, et al. Fibronectin regulates latent transforming growth factor-beta (TGF beta) by controlling matrix assembly of latent TGF beta-binding protein-1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18871-80 pubmed..Here we show that fibronectin is critical for the incorporation of LTBP1 and transforming growth factor-beta (TGF beta) into the ECM of osteoblasts and fibroblasts...
- Koli K, Hyytiäinen M, Ryynänen M, Keski Oja J. Sequential deposition of latent TGF-beta binding proteins (LTBPs) during formation of the extracellular matrix in human lung fibroblasts. Exp Cell Res. 2005;310:370-82 pubmed..Our results suggest that ECM is an important site of deposition also for LTBP-3 and -4 and that the temporal and spatial targeting of the TGF-beta complexes are associated with ECM maturation. ..
- Lamers M, Gimenes F, Nogueira F, Nicolau J, Gama P, Santos M. Chronic hyperglycaemia increases TGFbeta2 signaling and the expression of extracellular matrix proteins in the rat parotid gland. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:572-82 pubmed..TGFbeta receptor II (TbetaRII), phosphorylated Smads 2 and 3 (pSmads 2-3) and Latent TGFbeta Binding Protein 1 (LTBP1)...
- Soo C, Hu F, Zhang X, Wang Y, Beanes S, Lorenz H, et al. Differential expression of fibromodulin, a transforming growth factor-beta modulator, in fetal skin development and scarless repair. Am J Pathol. 2000;157:423-33 pubmed..This inverse relationship between fibromodulin expression and scarring in both fetal and adult rat wound repair suggests that fibromodulin may be a biologically relevant modulator of TGF-beta activity during scar formation. ..
- Saharinen J, Keski Oja J. Specific sequence motif of 8-Cys repeats of TGF-beta binding proteins, LTBPs, creates a hydrophobic interaction surface for binding of small latent TGF-beta. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2691-704 pubmed
- Isogai Z, Ono R, Ushiro S, Keene D, Chen Y, Mazzieri R, et al. Latent transforming growth factor beta-binding protein 1 interacts with fibrillin and is a microfibril-associated protein. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2750-7 pubmed..In tissues where LTBP-1 is not expressed, LTBP-4 may substitute for LTBP-1, because the C-terminal end of LTBP-4 binds equally well to fibrillin. A model depicting the relationship between LTBP-1 and fibrillin microfibrils is proposed. ..
- Hori Y, Katoh T, Hirakata M, Joki N, Kaname S, Fukagawa M, et al. Anti-latent TGF-beta binding protein-1 antibody or synthetic oligopeptides inhibit extracellular matrix expression induced by stretch in cultured rat mesangial cells. Kidney Int. 1998;53:1616-25 pubmed
- Nakajima Y, Miyazono K, Kato M, Takase M, Yamagishi T, Nakamura H. Extracellular fibrillar structure of latent TGF beta binding protein-1: role in TGF beta-dependent endothelial-mesenchymal transformation during endocardial cushion tissue formation in mouse embryonic heart. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:193-204 pubmed..These results suggest that LTBP-1 exists as an extracellular fibrillar structure and plays a role in the storage of TGF beta as a large latent TGF beta complex. ..