Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kv1 1
Description: potassium voltage-gated channel subfamily A member 1
Alias: Kcna, Kcpvd, Kv1.1, potassium voltage-gated channel subfamily A member 1, RBKI, RCK1, potassium (K+) channel protein voltage dependent, potassium channel, voltage gated shaker related subfamily A, member 1, potassium voltage gated channel shaker related subfamily member 1, voltage-gated potassium channel subunit Kv1.1
Products: Kv1 1
- Baker M, Chen Y, Shah S, Okuse K. In vitro and intrathecal siRNA mediated K(V)1.1 knock-down in primary sensory neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;48:258-65 pubmed publisher..1 contributes to the control of peripheral sensory nerve excitability, and suggests that its characteristics as a putative drug target can be assessed by siRNA transfection in primary sensory neurons in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Sosanya N, Brager D, Wolfe S, Niere F, Raab Graham K. Rapamycin reveals an mTOR-independent repression of Kv1.1 expression during epileptogenesis. Neurobiol Dis. 2015;73:96-105 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that following kainic-acid induced status epilepticus there are two phases of Kv1.1 repression: (1) an initial mTOR-dependent repression of Kv1.1 that is followed by (2) a miR-129-5p persistent reduction of Kv1.1. ..
- Ramaswami M, Gautam M, Kamb A, Rudy B, Tanouye M, Mathew M. Human potassium channel genes: Molecular cloning and functional expression. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1990;1:214-23 pubmed..Differences are observed between the pharmacological sensitivities of human channels and the reported sensitivities of their rat homology. ..
- Hoopengardner B, Bhalla T, Staber C, Reenan R. Nervous system targets of RNA editing identified by comparative genomics. Science. 2003;301:832-6 pubmed..These results point to a pivotal role for RNA editing in nervous system function. ..
- Mederos y Schnitzler M, Rinné S, Skrobek L, Renigunta V, Schlichthörl G, Derst C, et al. Mutation of histidine 105 in the T1 domain of the potassium channel Kv2.1 disrupts heteromerization with Kv6.3 and Kv6.4. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4695-704 pubmed publisher..1 is required for functional heteromerization with members of the Kv6 subfamily. We conclude from our findings that Kv2.1 and Kv6.x subunits have complementary T1 domains that control selective heteromerization. ..
- San Cristobal P, Lainez S, Dimke H, de Graaf M, Hoenderop J, Bindels R. Ankyrin-3 is a novel binding partner of the voltage-gated potassium channel Kv1.1 implicated in renal magnesium handling. Kidney Int. 2014;85:94-102 pubmed publisher..Thus, our observations demonstrate a novel role for ANK3 in modulating the biophysical properties of Kv1.1. Such regulation appears to be particularly important in conditions of high dietary magnesium. ..
- Al Sabi A, Shamotienko O, Dhochartaigh S, Muniyappa N, Le Berre M, Shaban H, et al. Arrangement of Kv1 alpha subunits dictates sensitivity to tetraethylammonium. J Gen Physiol. 2010;136:273-82 pubmed publisher..These collective findings indicate that assembly of alpha subunits can be directed by this optimized concatenation, and that subunit arrangement in heteromeric Kv channels affects TEA affinity...
- Dodson P, Barker M, Forsythe I. Two heteromeric Kv1 potassium channels differentially regulate action potential firing. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6953-61 pubmed..Our results show that heteromeric channels containing Kv1.2 subunits govern AP firing and suggest that their localization at the initial segment of MNTB axons can explain their dominance of AP firing behavior. ..
- Christie M, Adelman J, Douglass J, North R. Expression of a cloned rat brain potassium channel in Xenopus oocytes. Science. 1989;244:221-4 pubmed..The potassium current through the expressed channels resembles both the transient (or A) and the delayed rectifier currents reported in mammalian neurons and is sensitive to both 4-aminopyridine and tetraethylammonium. ..
- Wissmann R, Baukrowitz T, Kalbacher H, Kalbitzer H, Ruppersberg J, Pongs O, et al. NMR structure and functional characteristics of the hydrophilic N terminus of the potassium channel beta-subunit Kvbeta1.1. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35521-5 pubmed..These structural and functional properties of betaN-(1-62) closely resemble those of the "unstructured" ID from Shaker B, but differ markedly from those of the compactly folded ID of the Kv3.4 alpha-subunit. ..
- Fisahn A, Lavebratt C, Canlon B. Acoustic startle hypersensitivity in Mceph mice and its effect on hippocampal excitability. Eur J Neurosci. 2011;34:1121-30 pubmed publisher..Our results provide novel insights into the mechanisms that underlie the spread of hypersensitivity and hypersynchrony across functionally different parts of the brain. ..
- Bhalla T, Rosenthal J, Holmgren M, Reenan R. Control of human potassium channel inactivation by editing of a small mRNA hairpin. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:950-6 pubmed..These results suggest an ancient and key regulatory role for this residue in K(V) channels. ..
- Chi X, Nicol G. Manipulation of the potassium channel Kv1.1 and its effect on neuronal excitability in rat sensory neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2007;98:2683-92 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Kv1.1 plays an important role in limiting AP firing and that siRNA may be a useful approach to establish the role of specific ion channels in the absence of selective antagonists. ..
- Zhu J, Gomez B, Watanabe I, Thornhill W. Kv1 potassium channel C-terminus constant HRETE region: arginine substitution affects surface protein level and conductance level of subfamily members differentially. Mol Membr Biol. 2007;24:194-205 pubmed..These findings are consistent with the notion that the arginine amino acid in the HRETE region plays a different role in affecting conductance levels or cell surface protein levels of very closely related Kv1 potassium channels. ..
- Hu C, Zeng X, Zhou M, Shi Y, Cao H, Mei Y. Kv 1.1 is associated with neuronal apoptosis and modulated by protein kinase C in the rat cerebellar granule cell. J Neurochem. 2008;106:1125-37 pubmed publisher..1 gene, and that the PKC pathway promotes neuronal apoptosis by a brief modulation of the I(A) amplitude and a permanent increase in the levels of expression of the Kv1.1 alpha-subunit. ..
- Speake T, Kibble J, Brown P. Kv1.1 and Kv1.3 channels contribute to the delayed-rectifying K+ conductance in rat choroid plexus epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C611-20 pubmed..In conclusion, Kv1.1 and Kv1.3 channels make a significant contribution to K+ efflux at the apical membrane of the choroid plexus. ..
- Schulte U, Thumfart J, Klocker N, Sailer C, Bildl W, Biniossek M, et al. The epilepsy-linked Lgi1 protein assembles into presynaptic Kv1 channels and inhibits inactivation by Kvbeta1. Neuron. 2006;49:697-706 pubmed..The results establish Lgi1 as a novel subunit of Kv1.1-associated protein complexes and suggest that changes in inactivation gating of presynaptic A-type channels may promote epileptic activity. ..
- Saito M, Murai Y, Sato H, Bae Y, Akaike T, Takada M, et al. Two opposing roles of 4-AP-sensitive K+ current in initiation and invasion of spikes in rat mesencephalic trigeminal neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2006;96:1887-901 pubmed..Consistent with these findings, strong immunoreactivities for Kv1.1 and Kv1.6, among 4-AP-sensitive and low-voltage-activated Kv1 family examined, were detected in the soma but not in the stem axon of MTN neurons. ..
- Sosanya N, Huang P, Cacheaux L, Chen C, Nguyen K, Perrone Bizzozero N, et al. Degradation of high affinity HuD targets releases Kv1.1 mRNA from miR-129 repression by mTORC1. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:53-69 pubmed publisher..1 mRNA. Hence, mTORC1 activity regulation of mRNA stability and high affinity HuD-target mRNA degradation mediates the bidirectional expression of dendritic Kv1.1 ion channels. ..
- Poliak S, Salomon D, Elhanany H, Sabanay H, Kiernan B, Pevny L, et al. Juxtaparanodal clustering of Shaker-like K+ channels in myelinated axons depends on Caspr2 and TAG-1. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:1149-60 pubmed
- Pan Y, Weng J, Cao Y, Bhosle R, Zhou M. Functional coupling between the Kv1.1 channel and aldoketoreductase Kvbeta1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:8634-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, cofactor oxidation by Kvbeta1 is regulated by membrane potential, presumably via voltage-dependent structural changes in Kv1.1 channels. ..
- Al Sabi A, Kaza S, Dolly J, Wang J. Pharmacological characteristics of Kv1.1- and Kv1.2-containing channels are influenced by the stoichiometry and positioning of their ? subunits. Biochem J. 2013;454:101-8 pubmed publisher..This is important in designing drugs with abilities to inhibit particular oligomeric Kv1 subtypes, with the goal of elevating neuronal excitability and improving neurotransmission in certain diseases. ..
- Savvaki M, Panagiotaropoulos T, Stamatakis A, Sargiannidou I, Karatzioula P, Watanabe K, et al. Impairment of learning and memory in TAG-1 deficient mice associated with shorter CNS internodes and disrupted juxtaparanodes. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;39:478-90 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Tag-1(-/-) mice had shorter internodes in the cerebral and cerebellar white matter. The detected molecular alterations may account for the behavioural deficits and hyperexcitability in these animals. ..
- Yang Q, Chen S, Li D, Pan H. Kv1.1/1.2 channels are downstream effectors of nitric oxide on synaptic GABA release to preautonomic neurons in the paraventricular nucleus. Neuroscience. 2007;149:315-27 pubmed..These findings suggest that NO increases GABAergic input to PVN presympathetic neurons through a downstream mechanism involving the Kv1.1 and Kv1.2 channels at the nerve terminals. ..
- Caminos E, Vale C, Lujan R, Martinez Galan J, Juiz J. Developmental regulation and adult maintenance of potassium channel proteins (Kv 1.1 and Kv 1.2) in the cochlear nucleus of the rat. Brain Res. 2005;1056:118-31 pubmed..Thus, normal excitatory synaptic input in adult animals is not a requirement to regulate the expression and cellular and subcellular distribution of these potassium channel proteins. ..
- Oiso S, Takeda Y, Futagawa T, Miura T, Kuchiiwa S, Nishida K, et al. Contactin-associated protein (Caspr) 2 interacts with carboxypeptidase E in the CNS. J Neurochem. 2009;109:158-67 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that CPE may be a key molecule to regulate Caspr2 trafficking to the cell membrane. ..
- Kim E, Niethammer M, Rothschild A, Jan Y, Sheng M. Clustering of Shaker-type K+ channels by interaction with a family of membrane-associated guanylate kinases. Nature. 1995;378:85-8 pubmed..3) and syntrophin), suggest that PDZ-domain-containing polypeptides may be widely involved in the organization of proteins at sites of membrane specialization. ..
- Heeroma J, Henneberger C, Rajakulendran S, Hanna M, Schorge S, Kullmann D. Episodic ataxia type 1 mutations differentially affect neuronal excitability and transmitter release. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:612-9 pubmed publisher..The results provide direct evidence that EA1 mutations increase neurotransmitter release, and provide an insight into mechanisms underlying the phenotypic differences that are associated with different mutations. ..
- Streit A, Derst C, Wegner S, Heinemann U, Zahn R, Decher N. RNA editing of Kv1.1 channels may account for reduced ictogenic potential of 4-aminopyridine in chronic epileptic rats. Epilepsia. 2011;52:645-8 pubmed publisher..1(I400V) editing level can in fact lead to significant loss of 4-AP sensitivity. Our data suggest that altered Kv1.1(I400V) RNA editing contributes to the reduced ictogenic potential of 4-AP in chronic epileptic rats. ..
- Hao J, Padilla F, Dandonneau M, Lavebratt C, Lesage F, Noel J, et al. Kv1.1 channels act as mechanical brake in the senses of touch and pain. Neuron. 2013;77:899-914 pubmed publisher..By balancing the activity of excitatory mechanotransducers, Kv1.1 acts as a mechanosensitive brake that regulates mechanical sensitivity of fibers associated with mechanical perception. ..
- Shen Q, Zhao Y, Cao D, Wang X. Contribution of Kv channel subunits to glutamate-induced apoptosis in cultured rat hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:3153-60 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that these two Kv channel subunits may represent potential therapeutic targets for neuropathological conditions in which glutamate-induced toxicity is thought to contribute to neuronal dysfunction. ..
- Ishida S, Sakamoto Y, Nishio T, Baulac S, Kuwamura M, Ohno Y, et al. Kcna1-mutant rats dominantly display myokymia, neuromyotonia and spontaneous epileptic seizures. Brain Res. 2012;1435:154-66 pubmed publisher..ADMS rats provide a new model, distinct from previously reported mouse models, for studying the diverse functions of Kv1.1 in vivo, as well as for understanding the pathology of EA1...
- Watanabe I, Wang H, Sutachan J, Zhu J, Recio Pinto E, Thornhill W. Glycosylation affects rat Kv1.1 potassium channel gating by a combined surface potential and cooperative subunit interaction mechanism. J Physiol. 2003;550:51-66 pubmed..Differences in glycosylation pattern among closely related channels may contribute to their functional differences and affect their physiological roles. ..
- Utsunomiya I, Yoshihashi E, Tanabe S, Nakatani Y, Ikejima H, Miyatake T, et al. Expression and localization of Kv1 potassium channels in rat dorsal and ventral spinal roots. Exp Neurol. 2008;210:51-8 pubmed..1 and Kv1.2 were coassembled. These findings indicate that Kv1 subtypes in DRs and VRs are somewhat different from those in spinal cord, and that the numbers of Kv1.1 and Kv1.2 channels are higher in DRs than VRs. ..
- Koeberle P, Wang Y, Schlichter L. Kv1.1 and Kv1.3 channels contribute to the degeneration of retinal ganglion cells after optic nerve transection in vivo. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:134-44 pubmed publisher..Kv1.1 depletion increased the antiapoptotic gene, Bcl-X(L), whereas Kv1.3 depletion reduced the proapoptotic genes, caspase-3, caspase-9 and Bad. ..
- Ivanina T, Perets T, Thornhill W, Levin G, Dascal N, Lotan I. Phosphorylation by protein kinase A of RCK1 K+ channels expressed in Xenopus oocytes. Biochemistry. 1994;33:8786-92 pubmed..oocyte expression system to study the biosynthesis and phosphorylation by protein kinase A (PKA) of rat brain RCK1 (Kv1.1) K+ channel protein...
- Manganas L, Trimmer J. Subunit composition determines Kv1 potassium channel surface expression. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29685-93 pubmed..These data suggest that subunit composition and stoichiometry determine surface expression characteristics of Kv1 channels in excitable cells. ..
- Ma Z, Lavebratt C, Almgren M, Portwood N, Forsberg L, Bränström R, et al. Evidence for presence and functional effects of Kv1.1 channels in ?-cells: general survey and results from mceph/mceph mice. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18213 pubmed publisher..1 null mice. Kv1.1 channels are expressed in the ?-cells of several species, and these channels can influence glucose-stimulated insulin release. ..
- Fulton S, Thibault D, Mendez J, Lahaie N, Tirotta E, Borrelli E, et al. Contribution of Kv1.2 voltage-gated potassium channel to D2 autoreceptor regulation of axonal dopamine overflow. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:9360-72 pubmed publisher..2-containing channels in striatal tissue. These findings underline the contribution of Kv1.2 in the regulation of nigrostriatal DA release by the D2-AR and thereby offer a novel mechanism by which DA release is regulated. ..
- Almgren M, Persson A, Fenghua C, Witgen B, Schalling M, Nyengaard J, et al. Lack of potassium channel induces proliferation and survival causing increased neurogenesis and two-fold hippocampus enlargement. Hippocampus. 2007;17:292-304 pubmed..This phenotype is a result, at least in DG, from increased proliferation, neurogenesis, and enhanced general hippocampal cell survival. ..
- Gulbis J, Zhou M, Mann S, MacKinnon R. Structure of the cytoplasmic beta subunit-T1 assembly of voltage-dependent K+ channels. Science. 2000;289:123-7 pubmed..The inactivation peptides of voltage-dependent K(+) channels reach their site of action by entering these openings. ..
- Kanda V, Lewis A, Xu X, Abbott G. KCNE1 and KCNE2 inhibit forward trafficking of homomeric N-type voltage-gated potassium channels. Biophys J. 2011;101:1354-63 pubmed publisher..The findings illustrate two contrasting mechanisms controlling surface expression of N-type Kv ?-subunits and therefore, potentially, cellular excitability and refractory periods. ..
- Jung D, Lee S, Kim D, Joo K, Cha C, Yang H, et al. Age-related changes in the distribution of Kv1.1 and Kv3.1 in rat cochlear nuclei. Neurol Res. 2005;27:436-40 pubmed..The number of Kv3.1-positive cells was also significantly decreased in aged PVCN. This study may provide useful data to compare age-related changes in Kv1.1 and Kv3.1 with known physiological properties of auditory neurons. ..
- Grgic I, Wulff H, Eichler I, Flothmann C, Kohler R, Hoyer J. Blockade of T-lymphocyte KCa3.1 and Kv1.3 channels as novel immunosuppression strategy to prevent kidney allograft rejection. Transplant Proc. 2009;41:2601-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, selective blockade of T-lymphocyte K(Ca)3.1 and K(v)1.3 channels may represent a novel alternative therapy for prevention of kidney allograft rejection. ..
- Wu C, Kaur C, Sivakumar V, Lu J, Ling E. Kv1.1 expression in microglia regulates production and release of proinflammatory cytokines, endothelins and nitric oxide. Neuroscience. 2009;158:1500-8 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that Kv1.1, constitutively expressed by microglia, is elicited by hypoxia and LPS and this may be linked to production of proinflammatory cytokines, endothelins and NO. ..
- Finnegan T, Chen S, Pan H. Mu opioid receptor activation inhibits GABAergic inputs to basolateral amygdala neurons through Kv1.1/1.2 channels. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95:2032-41 pubmed..This study provides new information that activation of presynaptic mu opioid receptors primarily attenuates GABAergic synaptic inputs to CeA-projecting neurons in the BLA through a signaling mechanism involving Kv1.1 and Kv1.2 channels. ..
- Hall M, Weidner D, Edwards M, Schwalbe R. Complex N-Glycans Influence the Spatial Arrangement of Voltage Gated Potassium Channels in Membranes of Neuronal-Derived Cells. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0137138 pubmed publisher..1a, like Kv3.1b, provides a mechanism for the distribution of these proteins to the cell body and outgrowths and thereby can generate different voltage-dependent conductances in these membranes. ..
- Pan Y, Weng J, Kabaleeswaran V, Li H, Cao Y, Bhosle R, et al. Cortisone dissociates the Shaker family K+ channels from their beta subunits. Nat Chem Biol. 2008;4:708-14 pubmed publisher..Further studies demonstrated that cortisone promotes dissociation of Kv beta. The new mode of channel modulation may be explored by native or synthetic ligands to fine-tune cellular excitability. ..
- Baumann A, Grupe A, Ackermann A, Pongs O. Structure of the voltage-dependent potassium channel is highly conserved from Drosophila to vertebrate central nervous systems. EMBO J. 1988;7:2457-63 pubmed..The corresponding rat mRNA apparently belongs to a family of mRNA molecules which are preferentially expressed in the central nervous system. ..
- Stuhmer W, Ruppersberg J, Schröter K, Sakmann B, Stocker M, Giese K, et al. Molecular basis of functional diversity of voltage-gated potassium channels in mammalian brain. EMBO J. 1989;8:3235-44 pubmed
- Glaudemans B, van der Wijst J, Scola R, Lorenzoni P, Heister A, van der Kemp A, et al. A missense mutation in the Kv1.1 voltage-gated potassium channel-encoding gene KCNA1 is linked to human autosomal dominant hypomagnesemia. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:936-42 pubmed publisher..1 channel function. These data suggest that Kv1.1 is a renal K+ channel that establishes a favorable luminal membrane potential in DCT cells to control TRPM6-mediated Mg2+ reabsorption. ..