Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kcnmb1
Description: potassium calcium-activated channel subfamily M regulatory beta subunit 1
Alias: BKbeta, BKbeta1, k(VCA)beta-1, slo-beta, slo-beta-1, calcium-activated potassium channel subunit beta-1, BK channel subunit beta-1, calcium-activated potassium channel beta subunit, calcium-activated potassium channel subunit beta, calcium-activated potassium channel, subfamily M subunit beta-1, charybdotoxin receptor subunit beta-1, maxi K channel subunit beta-1, potassium channel subfamily M regulatory beta subunit 1, potassium large conductance calcium-activated channel, subfamily M, beta member 1, slowpoke-beta
- Morimoto T, Sakamoto K, Sade H, Ohya S, Muraki K, Imaizumi Y. Voltage-sensitive oxonol dyes are novel large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel activators selective for beta1 and beta4 but not for beta2 subunits. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;71:1075-88 pubmed..These findings provide a molecular and structural basis for understanding the regulatory mechanism of BK channel activity by an auxiliary beta subunit and will be fundamental to the development of beta-selective BK channel openers. ..
- Jiang Z, Wallner M, Meera P, Toro L. Human and rodent MaxiK channel beta-subunit genes: cloning and characterization. Genomics. 1999;55:57-67 pubmed..We cloned and analyzed human and rodent genes for the modulatory beta subunit, KCNMB1. The human and mouse beta-subunit genes are approximately 11 and approximately 9 kb in length, respectively, and ..
- Wang Y, Zhao L, Su X, Yu W, Deng X. [Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channel switching in smooth muscle participates in atherosclerosis development in diabetic rats]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2014;34:188-92 pubmed..1 channels was obviously enhanced in the middle layer of the aorta in the diabetic rats. KCa channel switching in smooth muscles may play a role in the development of atherosclerosis in diabetic rats. ..
- Albarwani S, Al Siyabi S, Baomar H, Hassan M. Exercise training attenuates ageing-induced BKCa channel downregulation in rat coronary arteries. Exp Physiol. 2010;95:746-55 pubmed publisher..We conclude that low-intensity ET may be beneficial in restoring age-related decline in coronary vasodilatory properties mediated by BK(Ca) channels. ..
- Nehrke K, Quinn C, Begenisich T. Molecular identification of Ca2+-activated K+ channels in parotid acinar cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C535-46 pubmed..RT-PCR analysis revealed the presence of two mSlo beta-subunits (Kcnmb1 and Kcnmb4) in parotid tissue...
- Barman S, Zhu S, White R. PKC activates BKCa channels in rat pulmonary arterial smooth muscle via cGMP-dependent protein kinase. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;286:L1275-81 pubmed
- Wynne P, Puig S, Martin G, Treistman S. Compartmentalized beta subunit distribution determines characteristics and ethanol sensitivity of somatic, dendritic, and terminal large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channels in the rat central nervous system. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;329:978-86 pubmed publisher..This hypothesis is supported immunohistochemically by the appearance of distinct punctate beta1 or beta4 channel clusters in the membrane of somatic and dendritic or nerve terminal compartments, respectively. ..
- Amberg G, Santana L. Downregulation of the BK channel beta1 subunit in genetic hypertension. Circ Res. 2003;93:965-71 pubmed..These results support the view that changes in the molecular composition of BK channels may be a fundamental event contributing to the development of vascular dysfunction during hypertension. ..
- Shi L, Liu X, Li N, Liu B, Liu Y. Aging decreases the contribution of MaxiK channel in regulating vascular tone in mesenteric artery by unparallel downregulation of ?- and ?1-subunit expression. Mech Ageing Dev. 2013;134:416-25 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that aging decreases capability of MaxiK channel in regulating vascular tone in the MA, which may be partially mediated by unparallel downregulation of ?- and ?1-subunit expression. ..
- Li S, Deng Z, Wei L, Liang L, Ai W, Shou X, et al. Reduction of large-conductance Ca²(+) -activated K(+) channel with compensatory increase of nitric oxide in insulin resistant rats. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2011;27:461-9 pubmed publisher..These impairments may be related to the down-regulation of ?1 subunit expression and compensatory increase in plasma nitric oxide levels. ..
- Bukiya A, McMillan J, Liu J, Shivakumar B, Parrill A, Dopico A. Activation of calcium- and voltage-gated potassium channels of large conductance by leukotriene B4. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:35314-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the identification of LTB4 as a highly potent ligand for BK channels is critical for the future development of Î²1-specific BK channel activators. ..
- Bukiya A, Singh A, Parrill A, Dopico A. The steroid interaction site in transmembrane domain 2 of the large conductance, voltage- and calcium-gated potassium (BK) channel accessory ?1 subunit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:20207-12 pubmed publisher..Because this amino acid triplet is unique to BK ?1, our study provides a structural basis for advancing ?1 subunit-specific pharmacology of BK channels. ..
- Lu T, Ye D, He T, Wang X, Wang H, Lee H. Impaired Ca2+-dependent activation of large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels in the coronary artery smooth muscle cells of Zucker Diabetic Fatty rats. Biophys J. 2008;95:5165-77 pubmed publisher..These abnormalities in BK channel gating lead to an increase in the energy barrier for channel activation, and may contribute to the development of vascular dysfunction and complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Senti M, Fernández Fernández J, Tomas M, Vazquez E, Elosua R, Marrugat J, et al. Protective effect of the KCNMB1 E65K genetic polymorphism against diastolic hypertension in aging women and its relevance to cardiovascular risk. Circ Res. 2005;97:1360-5 pubmed
- Falk T, Kilani R, Strazdas L, Borders R, Steidl J, Yool A, et al. Developmental regulation of the A-type potassium-channel current in hippocampal neurons: role of the Kvbeta 1.1 subunit. Neuroscience. 2003;120:387-404 pubmed..1 is capable of decreasing the electrical excitability of post-mitotic hippocampal neurons, suggesting this approach has applicability to gene therapy of neurological diseases associated with hyperexcitability. ..
- McGahon M, Dash D, Arora A, Wall N, Dawicki J, Simpson D, et al. Diabetes downregulates large-conductance Ca2+-activated potassium beta 1 channel subunit in retinal arteriolar smooth muscle. Circ Res. 2007;100:703-11 pubmed..The BKbeta1 subunit confers Ca(2+)-sensitivity to BK channel complexes and both transcript and protein levels for BKbeta1 ..
- Bukiya A, Liu J, Dopico A. The BK channel accessory beta1 subunit determines alcohol-induced cerebrovascular constriction. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2779-84 pubmed publisher..Knocking-down KCNMB1 suppresses EtOH-reduction of arterial myocyte BK current and vessel diameter...
- Chang C, Dworetzky S, Wang J, Goldstein M. Differential expression of the alpha and beta subunits of the large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channel: implication for channel diversity. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1997;45:33-40 pubmed..These observations provide a structural basis for the BK channel diversity observed in a variety of tissues. ..
- Bautista L, Castro M, Lopez Barneo J, Castellano A. Hypoxia inducible factor-2alpha stabilization and maxi-K+ channel beta1-subunit gene repression by hypoxia in cardiac myocytes: role in preconditioning. Circ Res. 2009;104:1364-72 pubmed publisher..We report here that beta(1) protein may interact with mitochondrial proteins and that the beta(1)-subunit gene (KCNMB1) is repressed by sustained hypoxia in dispersed cardiomyocytes as well as in heart intact tissue...
- Chang H, Ma Y, Wang Y, Song Z, Li Q, Yang N, et al. High glucose alters apoptosis and proliferation in HEK293 cells by inhibition of cloned BK Ca channel. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:1660-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cloned BK(Ca) channel directly regulated apoptosis and proliferation of HEK293 cell under hyperglycemia condition. ..
- Salzmann M, Seidel K, Bernard R, Prüss H, Veh R, Derst C. BKbeta1 subunits contribute to BK channel diversity in rat hypothalamic neurons. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2010;30:967-76 pubmed publisher..gene, channel diversity is mainly generated by alternative splicing and interaction with auxiliary beta-subunits (BKbeta1-4)...