Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kcnk2
Description: potassium two pore domain channel subfamily K member 2
Alias: Trek-1, rTREK1d, potassium channel subfamily K member 2, TREK-1 K(+) channel subunit, arachidonic acid sensitive tandem pore domain potassium channel, ion transport membrane protein, outward rectifying potassium channel protein TREK-1, potassium channel, two pore domain subfamily K, member 2, stretch-activated potassium channel TREK-1, tandem-pore-domain potassium channel TREK-1, two pore domain potassium channel TREK-1, two pore potassium channel TPKC1
- Tong L, Cai M, Huang Y, Zhang H, Su B, Li Z, et al. Activation of K(2)P channel-TREK1 mediates the neuroprotection induced by sevoflurane preconditioning. Br J Anaesth. 2014;113:157-67 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a novel mechanism for sevoflurane preconditioning-induced tolerance to focal cerebral ischaemia. ..
- Lu L, Wang W, Peng Y, Li J, Wang L, Wang X. Electrophysiology and pharmacology of tandem domain potassium channel TREK-1 related BDNF synthesis in rat astrocytes. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2014;387:303-12 pubmed publisher..TREK-1 channels might play important roles in regulating the function of astrocytes and might be used as a drug target for neuroprotection. ..
- Lloyd E, Marrelli S, Bryan R. cGMP does not activate two-pore domain K+ channels in cerebrovascular smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1774-80 pubmed publisher..Although K(2P) channels are highly expressed, K(2P) currents are not activated via the NO/cGMP pathway in rat MCA smooth muscle, despite the presence of numerous putative PKG phosphorylation sites. ..
- Pan Y, Xu X, Wang X. [mRNA expression alteration of two-pore potassium channels in the brain of beta-amyloid peptide25-35-induced memory impaired rats]. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2003;38:721-4 pubmed..The mRNA expression levels of two-pore potassium channels were increased significantly in the brain of beta-AP25-35-induced memory impaired rats. ..
- Marsh B, Acosta C, Djouhri L, Lawson S. Leak K? channel mRNAs in dorsal root ganglia: relation to inflammation and spontaneous pain behaviour. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2012;49:375-86 pubmed publisher..4>tresk(kcnk18)>traak(kcnk4)>trek2(kcnk10)=twik2(kcnk6)>trek1 (kcnk2)=thik2(kcnk12)>task1(kcnk3)>task2(kcnk5)>thik1(kcnk13)=task3(kcnk9)...
- Nicolas M, Lesage F, Reyes R, Barhanin J, Demêmes D. Localization of TREK-1, a two-pore-domain K+ channel in the peripheral vestibular system of mouse and rat. Brain Res. 2004;1017:46-52 pubmed..TREK-1 may subserve some neuroprotective function in afferent nerve fibers as well as play a role in endolymph potassium homeostasis. ..
- Yamamoto Y, Hatakeyama T, Taniguchi K. Immunohistochemical colocalization of TREK-1, TREK-2 and TRAAK with TRP channels in the trigeminal ganglion cells. Neurosci Lett. 2009;454:129-33 pubmed publisher..The present results revealed that TREK-1, TREK-2 and TRAAK channels colocalized with thermosensitive TRP channels in some small trigeminal ganglion neurons. ..
- Blondeau N, Petrault O, Manta S, Giordanengo V, Gounon P, Bordet R, et al. Polyunsaturated fatty acids are cerebral vasodilators via the TREK-1 potassium channel. Circ Res. 2007;101:176-84 pubmed
- Froese A, Breher S, Waldeyer C, Schindler R, Nikolaev V, Rinné S, et al. Popeye domain containing proteins are essential for stress-mediated modulation of cardiac pacemaking in mice. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:1119-30 pubmed publisher..Mice with mutant Popdc1 and Popdc2 alleles are therefore useful models for the dissection of the mechanisms causing pacemaker dysfunction and could aid in the development of strategies for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Benoist D, Stones R, Benson A, Fowler E, Drinkhill M, Hardy M, et al. Systems approach to the study of stretch and arrhythmias in right ventricular failure induced in rats by monocrotaline. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2014;115:162-72 pubmed publisher..Computer simulations incorporating MSCs and changes in ion channels with failure, based on altered gene expression, largely reproduced experimental observations. ..
- Rinné S, Renigunta V, Schlichthörl G, Zuzarte M, Bittner S, Meuth S, et al. A splice variant of the two-pore domain potassium channel TREK-1 with only one pore domain reduces the surface expression of full-length TREK-1 channels. Pflugers Arch. 2014;466:1559-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, TREK-1e might modulate the copy number of functional TREK-1 channels at the cell surface, providing a novel mechanism for fine tuning of TREK-1 currents. ..
- Jiang J, Liu J, Li J, Li M, Chen H, Yan H, et al. Trek1 contributes to maintaining nasal epithelial barrier integrity. Sci Rep. 2015;5:9191 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Trek1 is critical to maintain the nasal epithelial barrier function. ..
- Kanjhan R, Balke C, Housley G, Bellingham M, Noakes P. Developmental expression of two-pore domain K+ channels, TASK-1 and TREK-1, in the rat cochlea. Neuroreport. 2004;15:437-41 pubmed..The distribution of TASK-1 and TREK-1 suggest a role in K cycling and homeostasis. As TASK-1 and TREK-1 are inhibited by local anesthetics at doses used to treat tinnitus, 2P K channels may also be important in cochlear dysfunction. ..
- Popper P, Winkler J, Erbe C, Lerch Gaggl A, Siebeneich W, Wackym P. Distribution of two-pore-domain potassium channels in the adult rat vestibular periphery. Hear Res. 2008;246:1-8 pubmed publisher..K(2P)2.1 (TREK 1) immunoreactivity was detected in nerve terminals and transitional cells of the crista ampullaris, in the ..
- Wang W, Zhang M, Li P, Yuan H, Feng N, Peng Y, et al. An increased TREK-1-like potassium current in ventricular myocytes during rat cardiac hypertrophy. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2013;61:302-10 pubmed publisher..TREK-1 might balance potassium ion flow during hypertrophy and might be a potential drug target for heart protection. ..
- Xu X, Pan Y, Wang X. Alterations in the expression of lipid and mechano-gated two-pore domain potassium channel genes in rat brain following chronic cerebral ischemia. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;120:205-9 pubmed..These molecular studies provide evidence for an involvement of the lipid-sensitive mechano-gated 2P domain K(+) channels in the BCAL model, which might have neuroprotective effects in cerebral ischemia. ..
- Bearzatto B, Lesage F, Reyes R, Lazdunski M, Laduron P. Axonal transport of TREK and TRAAK potassium channels in rat sciatic nerves. Neuroreport. 2000;11:927-30 pubmed..The process was rapid and bidirectional suggesting that the channels are associated with vesicles. This represents the first report on the axonal transport of potassium channels. ..
- Liu Y, Sun Q, Chen X, Jing L, Wang W, Yu Z, et al. Linolenic acid provides multi-cellular protective effects after photothrombotic cerebral ischemia in rats. Neurochem Res. 2014;39:1797-808 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that LIN provides multiple cellular neuroprotective effects in cerebral ischemia. TREK-1 may serve as a promising multi-mechanism therapeutic target for the treatment of stroke. ..
- Koh S, Monaghan K, Sergeant G, Ro S, Walker R, Sanders K, et al. TREK-1 regulation by nitric oxide and cGMP-dependent protein kinase. An essential role in smooth muscle inhibitory neurotransmission. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:44338-46 pubmed..TREK-1 encodes a component of the stretch-activated K(+) conductance in smooth muscles and may contribute to nitrergic inhibition of gastrointestinal muscles. ..
- Kisselbach J, Schweizer P, Gerstberger R, Becker R, Katus H, Thomas D. Enhancement of K2P2.1 (TREK1) background currents expressed in Xenopus oocytes by voltage-gated K+ channel ? subunits. Life Sci. 2012;91:377-383 pubmed publisher..1 regulation. Kv? subunits stabilize the resting membrane potential through enhancement of K2P2.1K+ currents. The significance of this previously unappreciated biophysical mechanism in neuronal physiology remains to be investigated. ..
- Piechotta P, Rapedius M, Stansfeld P, Bollepalli M, Ehrlich G, Erhlich G, et al. The pore structure and gating mechanism of K2P channels. EMBO J. 2011;30:3607-19 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the primary activation mechanisms in TREK-1 reside close to, or within the selectivity filter and do not involve gating at the cytoplasmic bundle crossing. ..
- Thomas D, Plant L, Wilkens C, McCrossan Z, Goldstein S. Alternative translation initiation in rat brain yields K2P2.1 potassium channels permeable to sodium. Neuron. 2008;58:859-70 pubmed publisher..Control of ion selectivity via ATI is proposed to be a natural, epigenetic mechanism for spatial and temporal regulation of neuronal excitability. ..
- Zhao L, Fu L, Gao Q, Xie R, Cao J. Regional differential expression of TREK-1 at left ventricle in myocardial infarction. Can J Cardiol. 2011;27:826-33 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that TREK-1 may participate in pathophysiologic alteration and electrical remodelling of left ventricular myocardium after MI, which may eventually lead to post-MI ventricular arrhythmias. ..
- Gu W, Schlichthörl G, Hirsch J, Engels H, Karschin C, Karschin A, et al. Expression pattern and functional characteristics of two novel splice variants of the two-pore-domain potassium channel TREK-2. J Physiol. 2002;539:657-68 pubmed..Our results suggest that alternative splicing of TREK-2 contributes to the diversity of two-pore-domain K+ channels. ..
- Hervieu G, Cluderay J, Gray C, Green P, Ranson J, Randall A, et al. Distribution and expression of TREK-1, a two-pore-domain potassium channel, in the adult rat CNS. Neuroscience. 2001;103:899-919 pubmed..These studies indicate a widespread distribution of TREK-1 potassium channels throughout the rat brain and spinal cord, with expression in a number of areas being demonstrated to be present on GABA-containing neurones. ..
- Veale E, Rees K, Mathie A, Trapp S. Dominant negative effects of a non-conducting TREK1 splice variant expressed in brain. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29295-304 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the N-terminal domain and first transmembrane domain of TREK1 are likely to be important for channel dimerization and trafficking to the plasma membrane. ..
- Terrenoire C, Lauritzen I, Lesage F, Romey G, Lazdunski M. A TREK-1-like potassium channel in atrial cells inhibited by beta-adrenergic stimulation and activated by volatile anesthetics. Circ Res. 2001;89:336-42 pubmed..Such a background potassium channel might contribute to the positive inotropic effects produced by beta-adrenergic stimulation of the heart. It might also be involved in the regulation of the atrial natriuretic peptide secretion. ..
- Sandoz G, Levitz J, Kramer R, Isacoff E. Optical control of endogenous proteins with a photoswitchable conditional subunit reveals a role for TREK1 in GABA(B) signaling. Neuron. 2012;74:1005-14 pubmed publisher..We apply this approach to the TREK1 potassium channel, which lacks selective, reversible blockers. We find that TREK1, typically considered to be a leak channel, contributes to the hippocampal GABA(B) response. ..
- Woo D, Han K, Shim J, Yoon B, Kim E, Bae J, et al. TREK-1 and Best1 channels mediate fast and slow glutamate release in astrocytes upon GPCR activation. Cell. 2012;151:25-40 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal two distinct sources of astrocytic glutamate that can differentially influence neighboring neurons. ..
- Tan J, Liu W, Saint D. Trek-like potassium channels in rat cardiac ventricular myocytes are activated by intracellular ATP. J Membr Biol. 2002;185:201-7 pubmed..We conclude that intracellular ATP directly activates TREK-like channels, a property not previously described. ..
- Bockenhauer D, Zilberberg N, Goldstein S. KCNK2: reversible conversion of a hippocampal potassium leak into a voltage-dependent channel. Nat Neurosci. 2001;4:486-91 pubmed..to distinct transport pathways, we demonstrate here that phosphorylation of single, native hippocampal and cloned KCNK2 potassium channels produces reversible interconversion between leak and voltage-dependent phenotypes...
- Yang X, Guo P, Li J, Wang W, Xu S, Wang L, et al. Functional study of TREK-1 potassium channels during rat heart development and cardiac ischemia using RNAi techniques. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2014;64:142-50 pubmed publisher..It seems that TREK-1 is a potential drug target for treatment of acute heart ischemia. ..
- Azzalin A, Ferrara V, Arias A, Cerri S, Avella D, Pisu M, et al. Interaction between the cellular prion (PrPC) and the 2P domain K+ channel TREK-1 protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;346:108-15 pubmed..Our results indicated a novel PrP(C) interacting protein and suggested that this complex might be relevant in modulating a variety of electrophysiological-dependent cellular responses. ..
- Wang M, Song J, Xiao W, Yang L, Yuan J, Wang W, et al. Changes in lipid-sensitive two-pore domain potassium channel TREK-1 expression and its involvement in astrogliosis following cerebral ischemia in rats. J Mol Neurosci. 2012;46:384-92 pubmed publisher..TREK-1 inhibitor quinine inhibited the proliferation of astrocytes exposed to hypoxia condition. These data provide evidence showing the astrocytic TREK-1 involvement in ischemia pathology. ..
- Lin D, Zhang X, Ye D, Xi G, Hui J, Liu S, et al. The Role of the Two-Pore Domain Potassium Channel TREK-1 in the Therapeutic Effects of Escitalopram in a Rat Model of Poststroke Depression. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2015;21:504-12 pubmed publisher..TREK-1 plays an important role in the therapeutic effects of the SSRI escitalopram in PSD model, making TREK-1 an attractive candidate molecule for further understanding the pathophysiology and treatment of PSD. ..
- Wu X, Liu Y, Chen X, Sun Q, Tang R, Wang W, et al. Involvement of TREK-1 activity in astrocyte function and neuroprotection under simulated ischemia conditions. J Mol Neurosci. 2013;49:499-506 pubmed publisher..This would provide evidence showing astrocytic TREK-1 involvement in ischemia pathology which may serve as a potential therapeutic target in stroke. ..