Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kcna4
Description: potassium voltage-gated channel subfamily A member 4
Alias: KCHAN, Kv1.4, Kv4, RHK1, RK3, potassium voltage-gated channel subfamily A member 4, RCK4, potassium channel, voltage gated shaker related subfamily A, member 4, potassium voltage-gated channel, shaker-related subfamily, member 4, voltage-gated potassium channel subunit Kv1.4
- Antz C, Geyer M, Fakler B, Schott M, Guy H, Frank R, et al. NMR structure of inactivation gates from mammalian voltage-dependent potassium channels. Nature. 1997;385:272-5 pubmed..channels (Raw3 (Kv3.4) and RCK4 (Kv1.4))...
- Naisbitt S, Kim E, Tu J, Xiao B, Sala C, Valtschanoff J, et al. Shank, a novel family of postsynaptic density proteins that binds to the NMDA receptor/PSD-95/GKAP complex and cortactin. Neuron. 1999;23:569-82 pubmed..Shank may function as a scaffold protein in the PSD, potentially cross-linking NMDA receptor/PSD-95 complexes and coupling them to regulators of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Nishiyama A, Ishii D, Backx P, Pulford B, Birks B, Tamkun M. Altered K(+) channel gene expression in diabetic rat ventricle: isoform switching between Kv4.2 and Kv1.4. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H1800-7 pubmed..Although hypertrophy was not detected in diabetic rats at 12 wk after streptozocin treatment, ventricular Kv4.2 mRNA levels decreased 41% relative to nondiabetic controls. Kv1...
- Gomez B, Zhu J, Recio Pinto E, Thornhill W. Amino Acid Properties of Trafficking Determinants in the Outer Pore-Forming Region of Kv1 Potassium Channels in Cell Lines. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2017;75:25-33 pubmed publisher..We propose that these four prolines and four lysines in a Kv1.4 homotetramer might provide a binding site for a putative endoplasmic reticulum-export molecule to ensure high cell surface protein expression of the channel. ..
- Al Sabi A, Kaza S, Le Berre M, O Hara L, Bodeker M, Wang J, et al. Position-dependent attenuation by Kv1.6 of N-type inactivation of Kv1.4-containing channels. Biochem J. 2011;438:389-96 pubmed publisher..2 yielded slow-inactivating currents, because in this concatamer Kv1.4 and 1.6 should be together. These findings also confirm that the gene concatenation can generate K(+) channels with ? subunits in pre-determined positions. ..
- Liu B, Westhead D, Boyett M, Warwicker J. Modelling the pH-dependent properties of Kv1 potassium channels. J Mol Biol. 2007;368:328-35 pubmed..This hypothesis is examined in the context of pH dependence for other members of the Kv1 family, and may represent a general tool with which to study potassium channels. ..
- Yuan W, Burkhalter A, Nerbonne J. Functional role of the fast transient outward K+ current IA in pyramidal neurons in (rat) primary visual cortex. J Neurosci. 2005;25:9185-94 pubmed..exploited to directly test the hypothesis that voltage-gated K+ (Kv) channel pore-forming (alpha) subunits of the Kv4 subfamily encode the fast transient outward K+ current (IA) in cortical pyramidal neurons and to explore the ..
- Kim E, Niethammer M, Rothschild A, Jan Y, Sheng M. Clustering of Shaker-type K+ channels by interaction with a family of membrane-associated guanylate kinases. Nature. 1995;378:85-8 pubmed..3) and syntrophin), suggest that PDZ-domain-containing polypeptides may be widely involved in the organization of proteins at sites of membrane specialization. ..
- Wissmann R, Bildl W, Oliver D, Beyermann M, Kalbitzer H, Bentrop D, et al. Solution structure and function of the "tandem inactivation domain" of the neuronal A-type potassium channel Kv1.4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16142-50 pubmed..Together, the concerted action of ID1 and ID2 may promote rapid inactivation of Kv1.4 that is crucial for the channel function in short term plasticity. ..
- Rhodes K, Strassle B, Monaghan M, Bekele Arcuri Z, Matos M, Trimmer J. Association and colocalization of the Kvbeta1 and Kvbeta2 beta-subunits with Kv1 alpha-subunits in mammalian brain K+ channel complexes. J Neurosci. 1997;17:8246-58 pubmed
- Niethammer M, Kim E, Sheng M. Interaction between the C terminus of NMDA receptor subunits and multiple members of the PSD-95 family of membrane-associated guanylate kinases. J Neurosci. 1996;16:2157-63 pubmed..Members of the PSD-95 family might serve to anchor NMDA receptors to the submembrane cytoskeleton and aid in the assembly of signal transduction complexes at postsynaptic sites. ..
- Takeda M, Tanimoto T, Nasu M, Matsumoto S. Temporomandibular joint inflammation decreases the voltage-gated K+ channel subtype 1.4-immunoreactivity of trigeminal ganglion neurons in rats. Eur J Pain. 2008;12:189-95 pubmed..These results lead us to suggest that Kv channel openers may be a potential therapeutic agents for prevention of mechanical allodynia. ..
- Roepke T, Kontogeorgis A, Ovanez C, Xu X, Young J, Purtell K, et al. Targeted deletion of kcne2 impairs ventricular repolarization via disruption of I(K,slow1) and I(to,f). FASEB J. 2008;22:3648-60 pubmed publisher..5--a previously unknown partner for MiRP1. I(to,f), generated by Kv4 alpha subunits, was also diminished, by approximately 25%...
- Kanda V, Lewis A, Xu X, Abbott G. KCNE1 and KCNE2 inhibit forward trafficking of homomeric N-type voltage-gated potassium channels. Biophys J. 2011;101:1354-63 pubmed publisher..The findings illustrate two contrasting mechanisms controlling surface expression of N-type Kv ?-subunits and therefore, potentially, cellular excitability and refractory periods. ..
- Guan D, Horton L, Armstrong W, FOEHRING R. Postnatal development of A-type and Kv1- and Kv2-mediated potassium channel currents in neocortical pyramidal neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2011;105:2976-88 pubmed publisher..The putative Kv2-mediated component was the largest at all ages. Immunocytochemistry indicated that protein expression for Kv4.2, Kv4.3, Kv1.4, and Kv2.1 increased between 1 wk and 4-5 wk of age.
- Suzuki T, Takimoto K. Differential expression of Kv4 pore-forming and KChIP auxiliary subunits in rat uterus during pregnancy. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;288:E335-41 pubmed..rapidly inactivating K(v) current is prominent in myometrial cells and may be carried by complexes consisting of Kv4 pore-forming and KChIP auxiliary subunits...
- Stuhmer W, Ruppersberg J, Schröter K, Sakmann B, Stocker M, Giese K, et al. Molecular basis of functional diversity of voltage-gated potassium channels in mammalian brain. EMBO J. 1989;8:3235-44 pubmed
- Schreier C, Auer A, Kalbitzer H, Kremer W. NMR assignments of a 48 kDa tetramer of the T1 domain of the mammalian voltage gated potassium channel Kv1.4. Biomol NMR Assign. 2009;3:167-70 pubmed publisher..The secondary structure analysis derived from the chemical shifts is in line with the expectations from X-ray structures of related proteins. ..
- Po S, Roberds S, Snyders D, Tamkun M, Bennett P. Heteromultimeric assembly of human potassium channels. Molecular basis of a transient outward current?. Circ Res. 1993;72:1326-36 pubmed..However, one combination of subunits could not be excluded. Therefore, this mechanism of channel assembly may underlie some of the functional diversity of potassium channels found in the cardiovascular system. ..
- González Pérez V, Neely A, Tapia C, Gonzalez Gutierrez G, Contreras G, Orio P, et al. Slow inactivation in Shaker K channels is delayed by intracellular tetraethylammonium. J Gen Physiol. 2008;132:633-50 pubmed publisher..1, cause severe changes in inactivation kinetics. ..
- Angelova P, Müller W. Arachidonic acid potently inhibits both postsynaptic-type Kv4.2 and presynaptic-type Kv1.4 IA potassium channels. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:1943-50 pubmed publisher..This inhibition is blocked by some antioxidants. The somatodendritic I(A) is mediated by Kv4.2 gene products, whereas presynaptic I(A) is mediated by Kv1.4 channel subunits...
- Ramaswami M, Gautam M, Kamb A, Rudy B, Tanouye M, Mathew M. Human potassium channel genes: Molecular cloning and functional expression. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1990;1:214-23 pubmed..Differences are observed between the pharmacological sensitivities of human channels and the reported sensitivities of their rat homology. ..
- Sheng M, Liao Y, Jan Y, Jan L. Presynaptic A-current based on heteromultimeric K+ channels detected in vivo. Nature. 1993;365:72-5 pubmed..We propose that Kv1.4/Kv1.2 heteromultimers may form the molecular basis of a presynaptic A-type K+ channel involved in the regulation of neurotransmitter release. ..
- Kanda V, Lewis A, Xu X, Abbott G. KCNE1 and KCNE2 provide a checkpoint governing voltage-gated potassium channel ?-subunit composition. Biophys J. 2011;101:1364-75 pubmed publisher..The KCNE1/2-enforced checkpoint ensures N-type ?-subunits only reach the cell surface as part of intra-subfamily mixed-? complexes, thereby governing channel composition, inactivation rate, and-by extension-cellular excitability. ..
- Niethammer M, Valtschanoff J, Kapoor T, Allison D, Weinberg R, Craig A, et al. CRIPT, a novel postsynaptic protein that binds to the third PDZ domain of PSD-95/SAP90. Neuron. 1998;20:693-707 pubmed..These findings suggest that CRIPT may regulate PSD-95 interaction with a tubulin-based cytoskeleton in excitatory synapses. ..
- Sahoo N, Goradia N, Ohlenschläger O, Schönherr R, Friedrich M, Plass W, et al. Heme impairs the ball-and-chain inactivation of potassium channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E4036-44 pubmed publisher..Heme binding to the N-terminal inactivation domain induces a conformational constraint that prevents it from reaching its receptor site at the vestibule of the channel pore. ..
- Wickenden A, Jegla T, Kaprielian R, Backx P. Regional contributions of Kv1.4, Kv4.2, and Kv4.3 to transient outward K+ current in rat ventricle. Am J Physiol. 1999;276:H1599-607 pubmed..free wall and the interventricular septum of the adult rat ventricle and to evaluate the relative contributions of Kv4.2, Kv4.3, and Kv1.4 to Ito in these regions...
- Watanabe I, Zhu J, Recio Pinto E, Thornhill W. Glycosylation affects the protein stability and cell surface expression of Kv1.4 but Not Kv1.1 potassium channels. A pore region determinant dictates the effect of glycosylation on trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:8879-85 pubmed