Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Jag1
Description: jagged 1
Alias: protein jagged-1
- Xue Y, Gao X, Lindsell C, Norton C, Chang B, Hicks C, et al. Embryonic lethality and vascular defects in mice lacking the Notch ligand Jagged1. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:723-30 pubmed..Mutations in the human JAGGED1 ( JAG1 ) gene, which encodes a ligand for the Notch family of transmembrane receptors, cause the autosomal dominant ..
- Su Y, Buchler P, Gazdhar A, Giese N, Reber H, Hines O, et al. Pancreatic regeneration in chronic pancreatitis requires activation of the notch signaling pathway. J Gastrointest Surg. 2006;10:1230-41; discussion 1242 pubmed..These findings suggest a possible role of the Notch pathway during pancreatic regeneration since Jagged-1 inhibits inducible collagen-1 production, suggesting a new mechanism of tissue repair in this disease. ..
- Wong M, Prudovsky I, Vary C, Booth C, Liaw L, Mousa S, et al. A non-transmembrane form of Jagged-1 regulates the formation of matrix-dependent chord-like structures. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;268:853-9 pubmed..These data suggest that J-1 may be able to modulate, in a matrix-dependent manner, the organization of cell to cell interactions including its ability to promote the development of chord-like structures. ..
- Lee H, Yoon J, Ahn J, Jo E, Kim M, Lee Y, et al. Fe65 negatively regulates Jagged1 signaling by decreasing Jagged1 protein stability through the E3 ligase Neuralized-like 1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:2918-28 pubmed publisher..Consequently, Jagged1 is a novel binding partner of Fe65, and Fe65 may act as a novel effector of Jagged1 signaling. ..
- Piccoli D, Spinner N. Alagille syndrome and the Jagged1 gene. Semin Liver Dis. 2001;21:525-34 pubmed..Identification of the role of Jagged1 (JAG1) in the etiology of Alagille syndrome has improved diagnosis for this variably expressed disorder...
- Tsai H, Hardisty R, Rhodes C, Kiernan A, Roby P, Tymowska Lalanne Z, et al. The mouse slalom mutant demonstrates a role for Jagged1 in neuroepithelial patterning in the organ of Corti. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:507-12 pubmed..We show that the slalom mutant carries a mutation in the Jagged1 gene, implicating a new ligand in the signalling processes that pattern the inner ear neuro-epithelium. ..
- Ross D, Rao P, Kadesch T. Dual roles for the Notch target gene Hes-1 in the differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3505-13 pubmed..The results presented in this study establish a new target downstream of the Notch-Hes-1 pathway and suggest a dual role for Hes-1 in adipocyte development. ..
- Karlsson C, Brantsing C, Egell S, Lindahl A. Notch1, Jagged1, and HES5 are abundantly expressed in osteoarthritis. Cells Tissues Organs. 2008;188:287-98 pubmed publisher..Notch signalling is dysregulated in OA, inducing and repressing transcription of genes that could potentially partly contribute to the OA phenotype. ..
- Le Caignec C, Lefevre M, Schott J, Chaventre A, Gayet M, Calais C, et al. Familial deafness, congenital heart defects, and posterior embryotoxon caused by cysteine substitution in the first epidermal-growth-factor-like domain of jagged 1. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;71:180-6 pubmed..A candidate-gene approach was undertaken and culminated in the identification of a novel Jagged 1 (JAG1) missense mutation (C234Y) in the first cysteine of the first epidermal-growth-factor-like repeat domain of the ..
- Bash J, Zong W, Banga S, Rivera A, Ballard D, Ron Y, et al. Rel/NF-kappaB can trigger the Notch signaling pathway by inducing the expression of Jagged1, a ligand for Notch receptors. EMBO J. 1999;18:2803-11 pubmed..These findings also highlight the potential for an interplay between the Notch and NF-kappaB signaling pathways in the immune system. ..
- Meng H, Zhang X, Lee S, Strickland D, Lawrence D, Wang M. Low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein-1 (LRP1) regulates thrombospondin-2 (TSP2) enhancement of Notch3 signaling. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23047-55 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that LRP1 and TSP2 stimulate Notch activity by driving trans-endocytosis of the Notch ectodomain into the signal-sending cell and demonstrate a novel, non-cell autonomous function of LRP1 in cell-cell signaling. ..
- Uyttendaele H, Closson V, Wu G, Roux F, Weinmaster G, Kitajewski J. Notch4 and Jagged-1 induce microvessel differentiation of rat brain endothelial cells. Microvasc Res. 2000;60:91-103 pubmed..The observed morphological changes to RBE4 cells correlated with endogenous Notch4 and Jagged-1 gene activation. Our observations demonstrate that Notch signaling can promote endothelial cell differentiation and morphogenesis. ..
- Hock B, Böhme B, Karn T, Yamamoto T, Kaibuchi K, Holtrich U, et al. PDZ-domain-mediated interaction of the Eph-related receptor tyrosine kinase EphB3 and the ras-binding protein AF6 depends on the kinase activity of the receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:9779-84 pubmed
- Woo S, Kim J, Han H, Chae J, Son M, Cho S, et al. Notch signaling is required for maintaining stem-cell features of neuroprogenitor cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. BMC Neurosci. 2009;10:97 pubmed publisher..Expression levels of Notch signaling molecules such as NICD, DLLs, JAG1, HES1 and HES5 were increased in the NESs...
- He W, Hu J, Xia Y, Yan R. ?-site amyloid precursor protein cleaving enzyme 1(BACE1) regulates Notch signaling by controlling the cleavage of Jagged 1 (Jag1) and Jagged 2 (Jag2) proteins. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:20630-7 pubmed..In this study, we showed that BACE1 can effectively shed the membrane-anchored signaling molecule Jagged 1 (Jag1).Wealso mapped the cleavage sites of Jag1 by ADAM10 and ADAM17...
- Hatakeyama J, Wakamatsu Y, Nagafuchi A, Kageyama R, Shigemoto R, Shimamura K. Cadherin-based adhesions in the apical endfoot are required for active Notch signaling to control neurogenesis in vertebrates. Development. 2014;141:1671-82 pubmed publisher..Our results identified the apical endfoot as the central site of active Notch signaling to securely prohibit inappropriate differentiation of neural progenitors. ..
- Chen G, Sun L, Yu M, Meng D, Wang W, Yang Y, et al. The Jagged-1/Notch-1/Hes-1 pathway is involved in intestinal adaptation in a massive small bowel resection rat model. Dig Dis Sci. 2013;58:2478-86 pubmed publisher..The Jagged-1/Notch-1/Hes-1 signaling pathway is involved in intestinal adaptation through increasing crypt epithelial cell proliferation. ..
- Stoop M, Singh V, Dekker L, Titulaer M, Stingl C, Burgers P, et al. Proteomics comparison of cerebrospinal fluid of relapsing remitting and primary progressive multiple sclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12442 pubmed publisher..Vitamin D directly and indirectly regulates the differentiation, activation of CD4+ T-lymphocytes and can prevent the development of autoimmune processes, and so it may be involved in neuroprotective elements in MScl. ..
- Nickoloff B, Qin J, Chaturvedi V, Denning M, Bonish B, Miele L. Jagged-1 mediated activation of notch signaling induces complete maturation of human keratinocytes through NF-kappaB and PPARgamma. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:842-55 pubmed..These results indicate that activation of Notch signaling is necessary for maturation of human epidermis, and activation by a soluble Notch ligand is sufficient to trigger complete KC differentiation including cornification. ..
- Shimizu K, Chiba S, Saito T, Kumano K, Hirai H. Physical interaction of Delta1, Jagged1, and Jagged2 with Notch1 and Notch3 receptors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;276:385-9 pubmed..All interactions between the DSL proteins and soluble Notch proteins were dependent on Ca(2+). Taken together, these results suggest that Delta1, Jagged1, and Jagged2 are ligands for Notch1 and Notch3 receptors. ..
- Radi E, Formichi P, Di Maio G, Battisti C, Federico A. Oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in two patients with Alagille syndrome. J Neurol Sci. 2011;308:49-56 pubmed publisher..AGS is in most cases caused by heterozygous mutations in the Jagged-1 (JAG1) gene encoding a cell-surface ligand of the Notch receptors...
- Weber J, Forsythe S, Christianson C, Frisch B, Gigliotti B, Jordan C, et al. Parathyroid hormone stimulates expression of the Notch ligand Jagged1 in osteoblastic cells. Bone. 2006;39:485-93 pubmed
- Oda T, Elkahloun A, Meltzer P, Chandrasekharappa S. Identification and cloning of the human homolog (JAG1) of the rat Jagged1 gene from the Alagille syndrome critical region at 20p12. Genomics. 1997;43:376-9 pubmed..We have isolated the human homolog of the rat Jagged1 gene, JAG1, from a CpG island in a YAC clone covering the Alagille syndrome critical region at chromosome 20p12 (tel-SNAP-..
- Zhu G, Wang J, Song M, Zhou F, Fu D, Ruan G, et al. Overexpression of Jagged1 Ameliorates Aged Rat-Derived Endothelial Progenitor Cell Functions and Improves Its Transfusion Efficiency for Rat Balloon-Induced Arterial Injury. Ann Vasc Surg. 2017;41:241-258 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of Jagged1 ameliorates aged rat-derived EPC functions and increases its transfusion efficiency for balloon-induced rat arterial injury. ..
- Cao Q, Lu J, Kaur C, Sivakumar V, Li F, Cheah P, et al. Expression of Notch-1 receptor and its ligands Jagged-1 and Delta-1 in amoeboid microglia in postnatal rat brain and murine BV-2 cells. Glia. 2008;56:1224-37 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that Notch-1 signaling in the AMC and LPS-activated microglia/BV-2 cells modulates the expression of proinflammatory cytokines and nitric oxide. ..
- Piggott K, Deng J, Warrington K, Younge B, Kubo J, Desai M, et al. Blocking the NOTCH pathway inhibits vascular inflammation in large-vessel vasculitis. Circulation. 2011;123:309-18 pubmed publisher..Modulating the NOTCH signaling cascade emerges as a promising new strategy for immunosuppressive therapy of large-vessel vasculitis. ..
- Chen A, Guo L, Ostaszewski B, Selkoe D, LaVoie M. Aph-1 associates directly with full-length and C-terminal fragments of gamma-secretase substrates. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11378-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest a dominant role for Aph-1 in interacting with gamma-secretase substrates prior to their processing by the proteolytic complex. ..
- Zhou X, Xiao Y, Mao Z, Huang J, Geng Q, Wang W, et al. Soluble Jagged-1 inhibits restenosis of vein graft by attenuating Notch signaling. Microvasc Res. 2015;100:9-16 pubmed publisher..these rats was interposed into the left common carotid artery, followed without any treatment (control), or with Ad-Jag1 (treatment) or placebo (DMSO) post operation...
- Karanu F, Murdoch B, Gallacher L, Wu D, Koremoto M, Sakano S, et al. The notch ligand jagged-1 represents a novel growth factor of human hematopoietic stem cells. J Exp Med. 2000;192:1365-72 pubmed
- Fiuza U, Arias A. Cell and molecular biology of Notch. J Endocrinol. 2007;194:459-74 pubmed..In this review, we will describe the multiple roles of Notch and how various factors can regulate Notch signalling...
- Nikopoulos G, Duarte M, Kubu C, Bellum S, Friesel R, Maciag T, et al. Soluble Jagged1 attenuates lateral inhibition, allowing for the clonal expansion of neural crest stem cells. Stem Cells. 2007;25:3133-42 pubmed..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Zine A, Van De Water T, de Ribaupierre F. Notch signaling regulates the pattern of auditory hair cell differentiation in mammals. Development. 2000;127:3373-83 pubmed..components shows both distinct and overlapping expression patterns of Notch1 receptor and its ligands Jagged1 (Jag1) and Jagged2 (Jag2) in the developing auditory epithelium of the rat...
- Shimizu K, Chiba S, Hosoya N, Kumano K, Saito T, Kurokawa M, et al. Binding of Delta1, Jagged1, and Jagged2 to Notch2 rapidly induces cleavage, nuclear translocation, and hyperphosphorylation of Notch2. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6913-22 pubmed..Moreover, the findings of rapid cleavage, nuclear translocation, and phosphorylation of Notch2 after ligand binding facilitate the understanding of the Notch signaling. ..
- Wang J, Ren K, Wang Y, Kou Y, Zhang P, Peng J, et al. Effect of active Notch signaling system on the early repair of rat sciatic nerve injury. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2015;43:383-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that SCs activated by Notch signaling could promote nerve repair effectively in the early regenerative stage, suggesting the possible clinical application for the treatment of peripheral nerve defects. ..
- Eldadah Z, Hamosh A, Biery N, Montgomery R, Duke M, Elkins R, et al. Familial Tetralogy of Fallot caused by mutation in the jagged1 gene. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:163-9 pubmed..autosomal dominant ToF with reduced penetrance culminated in identification of a missense mutation (G274D) in JAG1, the gene encoding jagged1, a Notch ligand expressed in the developing right heart...
- Cobellis L, Caprio F, Trabucco E, Mastrogiacomo A, Coppola G, Manente L, et al. The pattern of expression of Notch protein members in normal and pathological endometrium. J Anat. 2008;213:464-72 pubmed publisher..Deregulation of these functions may induce the onset of several endometrial pathologies from polyps to cancer. ..
- Xu H, Li B, Wang R, Andersson R. Alterations of Notch/Jagged mRNA and protein expression after partial hepatectomy in rats. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:1522-8 pubmed publisher..The Notch/Jagged signaling pathways are activated and probably represent important contributors to the regenerative process following hepatectomy including both hepatocyte proliferation and bile duct formation and growth. ..
- Wang S, Ren M, Jiang H, Wang J, Jiang H, Yin X, et al. Notch pathway is activated in cell culture and mouse models of mutant SOD1-related familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, with suppression of its activation as an additional mechanism of neuroprotection for lithium and valproate. Neuroscience. 2015;301:276-88 pubmed publisher
- Liu Z, Chen S, Boyle S, Zhu Y, Zhang A, Piwnica Worms D, et al. The extracellular domain of Notch2 increases its cell-surface abundance and ligand responsiveness during kidney development. Dev Cell. 2013;25:585-98 pubmed publisher..This context-specific asymmetry in NICD release efficiency is further enhanced by Fringe. Our results indicate that an elevated N1 surface level could compensate for the loss of N2 signal in specific cell contexts. ..
- Yin Q, Wang W, Cui G, Yan L, Zhang S. Potential role of the Jagged1/Notch1 signaling pathway in the endothelial-myofibroblast transition during BLM-induced pulmonary fibrosis. J Cell Physiol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..The precise mechanism and the molecules involved in this signaling pathway need to be further elucidated. ..
- Saravanamuthu S, Gao C, Zelenka P. Notch signaling is required for lateral induction of Jagged1 during FGF-induced lens fiber differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;332:166-76 pubmed publisher..This work investigates the role of Notch2 and Jagged1 (Jag1) in secondary fiber cell differentiation using rat lens epithelial explants undergoing FGF-2 dependent ..
- Li H, Yu B, Zhang Y, Pan Z, Xu W, Li H. Jagged1 protein enhances the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells into cardiomyocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;341:320-5 pubmed..3. Jagged1 protein can activate Notch signal and enhance the differentiation of MSC into cardiomyocyte, while the effect can be inhibited by DAPT. ..
- Kohler C, Bell A, Bowen W, Monga S, Fleig W, Michalopoulos G. Expression of Notch-1 and its ligand Jagged-1 in rat liver during liver regeneration. Hepatology. 2004;39:1056-65 pubmed..In conclusion, Notch/Jagged signaling pathway is activated during liver regeneration and is potentially contributing to signals affecting cell growth and differentiation. ..
- Zimrin A, Pepper M, McMahon G, Nguyen F, Montesano R, Maciag T. An antisense oligonucleotide to the notch ligand jagged enhances fibroblast growth factor-induced angiogenesis in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:32499-502 pubmed..These data suggest that Jagged-Notch signaling is able to regulate fibroblast growth factor-induced endothelial cell migration in vitro, an early event during angiogenesis in vivo. ..
- Brooker R, Hozumi K, Lewis J. Notch ligands with contrasting functions: Jagged1 and Delta1 in the mouse inner ear. Development. 2006;133:1277-86 pubmed..We have used a Cre-LoxP approach to knock out two of these ligands, Delta1 (Dll1) and Jagged1 (Jag1), in the mouse ear...
- Kakuda S, Haltiwanger R. Deciphering the Fringe-Mediated Notch Code: Identification of Activating and Inhibiting Sites Allowing Discrimination between Ligands. Dev Cell. 2017;40:193-201 pubmed publisher..Combined, these results suggest that Fringe modifications "mark" different regions in the Notch1 extracellular domain for activation or inhibition. ..
- Chen T, Margariti A, Kelaini S, Cochrane A, Guha S, Hu Y, et al. MicroRNA-199b Modulates Vascular Cell Fate During iPS Cell Differentiation by Targeting the Notch Ligand Jagged1 and Enhancing VEGF Signaling. Stem Cells. 2015;33:1405-18 pubmed publisher..Notably, miR-199b targeted the Notch ligand JAG1, resulting in vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) transcriptional activation and secretion through the ..
- Yang L, Nichols J, Yao C, Manilay J, Robey E, Weinmaster G. Fringe glycosyltransferases differentially modulate Notch1 proteolysis induced by Delta1 and Jagged1. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:927-42 pubmed
- Lindner V, Booth C, Prudovsky I, Small D, Maciag T, Liaw L. Members of the Jagged/Notch gene families are expressed in injured arteries and regulate cell phenotype via alterations in cell matrix and cell-cell interaction. Am J Pathol. 2001;159:875-83 pubmed..We suggest that Jagged regulation of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions may contribute to the control of cell migration in situations of tissue remodeling in vivo. ..
- Caolo V, Schulten H, Zhuang Z, Murakami M, Wagenaar A, Verbruggen S, et al. Soluble Jagged-1 inhibits neointima formation by attenuating Notch-Herp2 signaling. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:1059-65 pubmed publisher..formation in carotid artery and enhanced reendothelialization, whereas adenoviral full-length Jagged-1 (Ad-Fl-Jag1) or LacZ had no effect. Injury-induced Herp2 expression was absent in vessels treated with Ad-sJag1...
- Li L, Krantz I, Deng Y, Genin A, Banta A, Collins C, et al. Alagille syndrome is caused by mutations in human Jagged1, which encodes a ligand for Notch1. Nat Genet. 1997;16:243-51 pubmed..We have mapped the human Jagged1 gene (JAG1), encoding a ligand for the developmentally important Notch transmembrane receptor, to the Alagille syndrome ..
- Bosman E, Quint E, Fuchs H, Hrabe de Angelis M, Steel K. Catweasel mice: a novel role for Six1 in sensory patch development and a model for branchio-oto-renal syndrome. Dev Biol. 2009;328:285-96 pubmed publisher..Bmp4, Jag1 and Sox2 expression were largely absent at early stages of sensory development and NeuroD expression was reduced in ..
- Small D, Kovalenko D, Kacer D, Liaw L, Landriscina M, Di Serio C, et al. Soluble Jagged 1 represses the function of its transmembrane form to induce the formation of the Src-dependent chord-like phenotype. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:32022-30 pubmed
- Ba K, Yang X, Wu L, Wei X, Fu N, Fu Y, et al. Jagged-1-mediated activation of notch signalling induces adipogenesis of adipose-derived stem cells. Cell Prolif. 2012;45:538-44 pubmed publisher..The results led to the conclusion that activation of Notch signalling had stimulated adipogenesis of mASCs in the presence of adipogenic medium by promoting expression of PPAR-?. ..
- Dishowitz M, Zhu F, Sundararaghavan H, Ifkovits J, Burdick J, Hankenson K. Jagged1 immobilization to an osteoconductive polymer activates the Notch signaling pathway and induces osteogenesis. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2014;102:1558-67 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that Jagged1 coupled to an osteogenic biomaterial could promote bone tissue formation during fracture healing. ..
- Wu X, Zhou Q, Huang L, Sun A, Wang K, Zou Y, et al. Ageing-exaggerated proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells is related to attenuation of Jagged1 expression in endothelial cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;77:800-8 pubmed..Ageing enhanced VSMC proliferation, at least in part, through impairing Jagged1 expression in the EC after vascular injury. ..
- Bauer R, Laney A, Smith R, Gerfen J, Morrissette J, Woyciechowski S, et al. Jagged1 (JAG1) mutations in patients with tetralogy of Fallot or pulmonic stenosis. Hum Mutat. 2010;31:594-601 pubmed publisherMutations in the Notch pathway ligand Jagged1 (JAG1) cause Alagille syndrome (AGS), as well as cardiac defects in seemingly nonsyndromic individuals...
- McCright B, Lozier J, Gridley T. A mouse model of Alagille syndrome: Notch2 as a genetic modifier of Jag1 haploinsufficiency. Development. 2002;129:1075-82 pubmed..Alagille syndrome is caused by mutations in the Jagged 1 (JAG1) gene, which encodes a ligand for Notch family receptors...
- Maruyama K, Uematsu S, Kondo T, Takeuchi O, Martino M, Kawasaki T, et al. Strawberry notch homologue 2 regulates osteoclast fusion by enhancing the expression of DC-STAMP. J Exp Med. 2013;210:1947-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sbno2 plays a pivotal role in bone homeostasis in vivo by fine-tuning osteoclast fusion. ..
- Kong Y, Glickman J, Subramaniam M, Shahsafaei A, Allamneni K, Aster J, et al. Functional diversity of notch family genes in fetal lung development. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;286:L1075-83 pubmed..Cumulatively, these observations suggest that interactions between distinct Notch family members can have diverse tissue-specific regulatory functions during development, arguing against simple functional redundancy. ..
- Harada H, Ichimori Y, Yokohama Tamaki T, Ohshima H, Kawano S, Katsube K, et al. Stratum intermedium lineage diverges from ameloblast lineage via Notch signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;340:611-6 pubmed..Additionally, overexpression of the Notch1 internal domain increased the number of stratum intermedium cells. We hypothesize that the stratum intermedium lineage differentiates from the ameloblast lineage via Notch signaling. ..
- Tando Y, Fujiwara K, Yashiro T, Kikuchi M. Localization of Notch signaling molecules and their effect on cellular proliferation in adult rat pituitary. Cell Tissue Res. 2013;351:511-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Notch signaling is involved in the proliferation of S100-protein-positive cells, presumably precursor cells, in adult rat pituitary gland. ..
- Bansal K, Balaji K. Intracellular pathogen sensor NOD2 programs macrophages to trigger Notch1 activation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:5823-35 pubmed publisher..These findings serve as a paradigm to understand the pathogenesis of NOD2-associated inflammatory diseases and clearly pave a way toward development of novel therapeutics. ..