Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Itgb1
Description: integrin subunit beta 1
Alias: integrin beta-1, VLA-4 subunit beta, beta OL, beta oligodendroglia, fibronectin receptor subunit beta, integrin VLA-4 subunit beta, integrin beta 1 (fibronectin receptor beta)
- Ryan D, Nuccie B, Abboud C, Winslow J. Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and the integrin VLA-4 mediate adhesion of human B cell precursors to cultured bone marrow adherent cells. J Clin Invest. 1991;88:995-1004 pubmed
- Khorram O, Han G, Bagherpour R, Magee T, Desai M, Ross M, et al. Effect of maternal undernutrition on vascular expression of micro and messenger RNA in newborn and aging offspring. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;298:R1366-74 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that MUN modulation of offspring gene expression may be mediated in part by a miRNA mechanism. ..
- Cooper H, Tamura R, Quaranta V. The major laminin receptor of mouse embryonic stem cells is a novel isoform of the alpha 6 beta 1 integrin. J Cell Biol. 1991;115:843-50 pubmed..The switch from alpha 6 B to alpha 6 A, if confirmed in early embryos, could then be of striking potential relevance to the developmental role of laminin. ..
- Moiseeva E, Williams B, Goodall A, Samani N. Galectin-1 interacts with beta-1 subunit of integrin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;310:1010-6 pubmed..Galectin-1 is likely to affect SMC adhesion by interacting with beta1 integrin on the cell surface of SMCs and inducing outside-in signalling. ..
- Gehad A, Al Banna N, Vaci M, Issekutz A, Mohan K, Latta M, et al. Differing requirements for CCR4, E-selectin, and ?4?1 for the migration of memory CD4 and activated T cells to dermal inflammation. J Immunol. 2012;189:337-46 pubmed publisher..The differentiation from activated to memory CD4 cells increases the dependence on CCR4 for skin homing and decreases the requirement for ESL. ..
- Balasubramanian L, Lo C, Sham J, Yip K. Remanent cell traction force in renal vascular smooth muscle cells induced by integrin-mediated mechanotransduction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;304:C382-91 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, mechanical force transduced by ?(5)?(1)-integrins triggered a myogenic response-like behavior in isolated renal VSMCs. ..
- Sipilä K, Haag S, Denessiouk K, Kapyla J, Peters E, Denesyuk A, et al. Citrullination of collagen II affects integrin-mediated cell adhesion in a receptor-specific manner. FASEB J. 2014;28:3758-68 pubmed publisher..Here, CII citrullination was shown to decrease the survival of mesenchymal stem cells. ..
- Terracio L, Rubin K, Gullberg D, Balog E, Carver W, Jyring R, et al. Expression of collagen binding integrins during cardiac development and hypertrophy. Circ Res. 1991;68:734-44 pubmed
- Jovanovic J, Takagi J, Choulier L, Abrescia N, Stuart D, van der Merwe P, et al. alphaVbeta6 is a novel receptor for human fibrillin-1. Comparative studies of molecular determinants underlying integrin-rgd affinity and specificity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6743-51 pubmed..Non-focal contact distribution of alpha5beta1 suggests that its engagement by fibrillin-1 may elicit a lesser degree and/or different type of intracellular signaling compared with that seen with a high affinity ligand. ..
- Lal H, Verma S, Feng H, Golden H, Gerilechaogetu F, Nizamutdinov D, et al. Caveolin and ?1-integrin coordinate angiotensinogen expression in cardiac myocytes. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:436-45 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies indicate that lipid rafts/caveolae couple to Ao gene expression through a mechanism that involves ?1-integrin and the differential actions of MAP kinase family members. ..
- Wingerd K, Goodman N, Leu S, Clegg D. Expression and function of integrin alpha4beta1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) during sympathetic innervation of the heart. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:359-69 pubmed..The regulation of alpha4beta1 function, and localization of alpha4 and VCAM-1, are consistent with a role for the alpha4beta1--VCAM-1 interaction in extension of sympathetic axons into the myocardium. ..
- Thodeti C, Albrechtsen R, Grauslund M, Asmar M, Larsson C, Takada Y, et al. ADAM12/syndecan-4 signaling promotes beta 1 integrin-dependent cell spreading through protein kinase Calpha and RhoA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9576-84 pubmed..Syndecan-4 can promote cell spreading in a beta(1) integrin-dependent fashion through PKCalpha and RhoA, and PKCalpha and RhoA likely function in separate pathways. ..
- Chernousov M, Kaufman S, Stahl R, Rothblum K, Carey D. Alpha7beta1 integrin is a receptor for laminin-2 on Schwann cells. Glia. 2007;55:1134-44 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest that alpha7beta1 integrin is a Schwann cell receptor for laminin-2 that provides transmembrane linkage between the Schwann cell basal lamina and cytoskeleton. ..
- Häger M, Bigotti M, Meszaros R, Carmignac V, Holmberg J, Allamand V, et al. Cib2 binds integrin alpha7Bbeta1D and is reduced in laminin alpha2 chain-deficient muscular dystrophy. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:24760-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate that Cib2 is a calcium-binding protein that interacts with integrin alpha7Bbeta1D. Thus, our data suggest a role for Cib2 as a cytoplasmic effector of integrin alpha7Bbeta1D signaling in skeletal muscle...
- Kitamura A, Kagami S, Urushihara M, Kondo S, Yoshizumi M, Tamaki T, et al. Endothelin-1 is a potent stimulator of alpha1beta1 integrin-mediated collagen matrix remodeling by rat mesangial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:555-61 pubmed..We therefore conclude that ET is a potential molecule inducing pathological collagen matrix remodeling observed in progressive GN. ..
- Tadayoni R, Paques M, Gaudric A, Vicaut E. Erythrocyte and leukocyte dynamics in the retinal capillaries of diabetic mice. Exp Eye Res. 2003;77:497-504 pubmed..The above results are in line with the hypothesis that microvascular flow increases in diabetes, as one of the first microvascular alterations. In contrast, WBC velocity was not different in diabetic and control mice. ..
- Uemura A, Kusuhara S, Wiegand S, Yu R, Nishikawa S. Tlx acts as a proangiogenic switch by regulating extracellular assembly of fibronectin matrices in retinal astrocytes. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:369-77 pubmed..This work identifies Tlx as an essential component of the molecular network involved in the hypoxia-inducible proangiogenic switch in retinal astrocytes. ..
- Gohlke H, Schmitz B, Sommerfeld A, Reinehr R, Haussinger D. ?5 ?1-integrins are sensors for tauroursodeoxycholic acid in hepatocytes. Hepatology. 2013;57:1117-29 pubmed publisher..TUDC can directly activate intrahepatocytic ?1 integrins, which trigger signal transduction pathways toward choleresis. (HEPATOLOGY 2013). ..
- Bianchi Smiraglia A, Kunnev D, Limoge M, Lee A, Beckerle M, Bakin A. Integrin-?5 and zyxin mediate formation of ventral stress fibers in response to transforming growth factor ?. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:3377-89 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a platform for defining the molecular mechanism regulating the organization and activities of VSFs in response to TGF-?. ..
- Lee S, Won J, Lee H, Lee H, Youn S, Lee J, et al. Angiopoietin-1 protects heart against ischemia/reperfusion injury through VE-cadherin dephosphorylation and myocardiac integrin-?1/ERK/caspase-9 phosphorylation cascade. Mol Med. 2011;17:1095-106 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest the novel cardioprotective mechanisms of angiopoietin-1 that are achieved by reducing both vascular leakage and cardiomyocyte death after ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- Obremski V, Hall A, Fernandez Valle C. Merlin, the neurofibromatosis type 2 gene product, and beta1 integrin associate in isolated and differentiating Schwann cells. J Neurobiol. 1998;37:487-501 pubmed..Together, these results provide evidence that merlin interacts with beta1 integrin and that merlin localization changes from a cytosolic to cytoskeletal compartment during SC differentiation. ..
- Le Goff E, Vallentin A, Harmand P, Aldrian Herrada G, Rebière B, Roy C, et al. Characterization of L-plastin interaction with beta integrin and its regulation by micro-calpain. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2010;67:286-96 pubmed publisher..We discuss these results in the light of the three-dimensional structure of the actin-binding domains of L-plastin. ..
- Tomaselli K, Hall D, Flier L, Gehlsen K, Turner D, Carbonetto S, et al. A neuronal cell line (PC12) expresses two beta 1-class integrins-alpha 1 beta 1 and alpha 3 beta 1-that recognize different neurite outgrowth-promoting domains in laminin. Neuron. 1990;5:651-62 pubmed..These integrins are candidates for mediating neurite outgrowth of sympathetic and other neurons in response to these ECM components. ..
- Anderson R, Fassler R, Georges Labouesse E, Hynes R, Bader B, Kreidberg J, et al. Mouse primordial germ cells lacking beta1 integrins enter the germline but fail to migrate normally to the gonads. Development. 1999;126:1655-64 pubmed..These results demonstrate a role for beta1-containing integrins in the development of the germline, although an equivalent role for * integrin subunit(s) has yet to be established. ..
- Wadehra M, Iyer R, Goodglick L, Braun J. The tetraspan protein epithelial membrane protein-2 interacts with beta1 integrins and regulates adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:41094-100 pubmed..This study demonstrates for the first time the interaction of a GAS3/PMP22 family member with an integrin protein and suggests that such interactions and their functional consequences are a physiologic role of GAS3/PMP22 proteins. ..
- Shanker A, Yamada K, Green K, Yamada K, Saffitz J. Matrix-protein-specific regulation of Cx43 expression in cardiac myocytes subjected to mechanical load. Circ Res. 2005;96:558-66 pubmed..Changes in the composition of the extracellular matrix may affect electrical coupling in cardiac myocytes. ..
- Giebel J, Loster K, Rune G. Localization of integrin beta 1, alpha 1, alpha 5 and alpha 9 subunits in the rat testis. Int J Androl. 1997;20:3-9 pubmed..The alpha 9 subunit was immunolocalized only in the basement membrane and in peritubular cells. These data suggest that integrins are involved in spermatogenesis, in particular in the process of spermatid maturation. ..
- Blaess S, Graus Porta D, Belvindrah R, Radakovits R, Pons S, Littlewood Evans A, et al. Beta1-integrins are critical for cerebellar granule cell precursor proliferation. J Neurosci. 2004;24:3402-12 pubmedWe have previously shown that mice with a CNS restricted knock-out of the integrin beta1 subunit gene (Itgb1-CNSko mice) have defects in the formation of lamina and folia in the cerebral and cerebellar cortices that are caused by ..
- Tukaj C, Trzonkowski P, Pikuła M, Hallmann A, Tukaj S. Increased migratory properties of aortal smooth muscle cells exposed to calcitriol in culture. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;121:208-11 pubmed publisher..It has been also suggested that such responses of SMCs to calcitriol play a beneficial role in fibrous cap formation during atherosclerotic process. ..
- Sendag F, Akdogan A, Ozbilgin K, Giray G, Oztekin K. Effect of ovarian stimulation with human menopausal gonadotropin and recombinant follicle stimulating hormone on the expression of integrins alpha3, beta1 in the rat endometrium during the implantation period. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010;150:57-60 pubmed publisher..05). Ovarian stimulation by low and high doses of HMG and rFSH may have an effect on endometrial receptivity, possibly via a decrease in expression of integrins in the endometrium during the implantation period. ..
- Zigrino P, Steiger J, Fox J, Löffek S, Schild A, Nischt R, et al. Role of ADAM-9 disintegrin-cysteine-rich domains in human keratinocyte migration. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30785-93 pubmed..In summary, our results indicate that the ADAM-9 adhesive domain plays a role in regulating the motility of cells by interaction with beta1 integrins and modulates MMP synthesis. ..
- Garrigues H, DeMaster L, Rubinchikova Y, Rose T. KSHV attachment and entry are dependent on ?V?3 integrin localized to specific cell surface microdomains and do not correlate with the presence of heparan sulfate. Virology. 2014;464-465:118-133 pubmed publisher..Reconstitution of cell surface ?V?3 rendered HSG cells highly susceptible to KSHV infection, demonstrating a critical role for ?V?3 in the binding and entry of KSHV that is not shared with other proposed receptors. ..
- Pan L, North H, Sahni V, Jeong S, McGuire T, Berns E, et al. ?1-Integrin and integrin linked kinase regulate astrocytic differentiation of neural stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e104335 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate an important role for ?1-integrin/ILK signaling in regulating astrogliosis from ESCs and suggest ILK as a potential target for limiting glial scar formation after nervous system injury. ..
- Chao J, Gui P, Zamponi G, Davis G, Davis M. Spatial association of the Cav1.2 calcium channel with ?5?1-integrin. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;300:C477-89 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new evidence for how interactions between ?(5)?(1)-integrin and FN can modulate Ca(L) entry and consequently alter the physiological function of multiple types of excitable cells. ..
- Michaluk P, Mikasova L, Groc L, Frischknecht R, Choquet D, Kaczmarek L. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 controls NMDA receptor surface diffusion through integrin beta1 signaling. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6007-12 pubmed publisher..These findings describe a new target pathway for MMP-9 action in key physiological and pathological brain processes. ..
- Bhide V, Laschinger C, Arora P, Lee W, Hakkinen L, Larjava H, et al. Collagen phagocytosis by fibroblasts is regulated by decorin. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23103-13 pubmed..Thus a novel collagen binding domain in decorin acts cooperatively with leucine-rich repeat 4 to mask the alpha2beta1 integrin-binding site on collagen, an important sequence for the phagocytosis of collagen fibrils. ..
- Mulholland D, Dedhar S, Vogl A. Rat seminiferous epithelium contains a unique junction (Ectoplasmic specialization) with signaling properties both of cell/cell and cell/matrix junctions. Biol Reprod. 2001;64:396-407 pubmed..Our observations indicate that ESs share cell signaling features both of cell-cell junctions and of cell-extracellular matrix junctions. ..
- Revilla G, Darwin E, Yanwirasti -, Rantam F. Effect of Allogeneic Bone Marrow-mesenchymal Stem Cells (BM-MSCs) to Accelerate Burn Healing of Rat on the Expression of Collagen Type I and Integrin ?2?1. Pak J Biol Sci. 2016;19:345-351 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to investigate the effect of allogeneic BM-MSC treatment on the expression of collagen type I and integrin ?2?1 in burn skin tissue of rat observed on day 14...
- Cheng Y, Chen C, Chang J, Chen H. Albumin overload down-regulates integrin-Î²1 through reactive oxygen species-endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway in podocytes. J Biochem. 2015;158:101-8 pubmed publisher..Our results show that in proteinuric disease, albumin decreases precursor and mature forms of integrin-Î²1 through ROS-ER stress pathway in podocytes. ..
- Manduca P, Castagnino A, Lombardini D, Marchisio S, Soldano S, Ulivi V, et al. Role of MT1-MMP in the osteogenic differentiation. Bone. 2009;44:251-65 pubmed publisher..MT1-MMP has multiple functions and is implicated in multiple steps of the differentiation process, acting to regulate homeostasis of the osteogenic differentiation. ..
- Han H, Zhang J, Ji S, Liang Q, Kang H, Tang R, et al. ?? and ?1 Integrins mediate A?-induced neurotoxicity in hippocampal neurons via the FAK signaling pathway. PLoS ONE. 2014;8:e64839 pubmed publisher..Thus, we concluded that both ?? and ?1 integrins interfered with A?-induced neurotoxicity in hippocampal neurons and that this mechanism partially contributes to the activation of the Integrin-FAK signaling pathway. ..
- Zhang J, Elzey B, Williams G, Lu S, Law D, Horowits R. Ultrastructural and biochemical localization of N-RAP at the interface between myofibrils and intercalated disks in the mouse heart. Biochemistry. 2001;40:14898-906 pubmed..These results demonstrate that N-RAP remains tightly bound to myofibrils and fasciae adherentes during biochemical purification and may be a key constituent in the mechanical link between these two structures. ..
- Juric V, Chen C, Lau L. Fas-mediated apoptosis is regulated by the extracellular matrix protein CCN1 (CYR61) in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:3266-79 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that CCN1 is a physiologic regulator of Fas-mediated apoptosis and that the extracellular matrix microenvironment can modulate Fas-dependent apoptosis through CCN1 expression. ..
- Wang J, Gualco E, Peruzzi F, Sawaya B, Passiatore G, Marcinkiewicz C, et al. Interaction between serine phosphorylated IRS-1 and beta1-integrin affects the stability of neuronal processes. J Neurosci Res. 2007;85:2360-73 pubmed..IGF-I counteracts TNFalpha-mediated accumulation of pS-IRS-1-beta1-integrin complexes supporting the stability of neuronal processes. ..
- Xiaowei C, Jia M, Xiaowei W, Yina Z. Overexpression of CXCL12 chemokine up-regulates connexin and integrin expression in mesenchymal stem cells through PI3K/Akt pathway. Cell Commun Adhes. 2013;20:67-72 pubmed publisher..Increased CXCL12 elevated membrane Cx43, Cx45, and integrin ?V?3 expression, as well as Cx phosphorylaton, which was activated by PI3K/Akt pathway. This mechanism may serve to improve mesenchymal stem cell viability in host tissue. ..
- Wu X, Wang J, Jiang H, Hu Q, Chen J, Zhang J, et al. Wnt3a activates ?1-integrin and regulates migration and adhesion of vascular smooth muscle cells. Mol Med Rep. 2014;9:1159-64 pubmed publisher..Wnt3a treatment of VSMCs also activated ?1-integrin without changing the quantity of protein expressed on the cell surface. These results demonstrate that Wnt3a enhances migration and adhesion of VSMCs by activating ?1-integrin. ..
- Milliano M, Luxon B. Initial signaling of the fibronectin receptor (alpha5beta1 integrin) in hepatic stellate cells is independent of tyrosine phosphorylation. J Hepatol. 2003;39:32-7 pubmed..Initial integrin signaling by alpha(5)beta(1) are associated with cytoskeletal proteins and are independent of tyrosine phosphorylation. We suggest that there may be cytoskeletal changes that may be targeted to diminish HSC activation. ..
- Menon B, Singh M, Ross R, Johnson J, Singh K. beta-Adrenergic receptor-stimulated apoptosis in adult cardiac myocytes involves MMP-2-mediated disruption of beta1 integrin signaling and mitochondrial pathway. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;290:C254-61 pubmed..These data suggest that MMP-2 interferes with the beta1 integrin survival signals and activates JNK-dependent mitochondrial death pathway leading to apoptosis. ..
- Shi L, Fisslthaler B, Zippel N, Frömel T, Hu J, Elgheznawy A, et al. MicroRNA-223 antagonizes angiogenesis by targeting ?1 integrin and preventing growth factor signaling in endothelial cells. Circ Res. 2013;113:1320-30 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that miR-223 is an antiangiogenic microRNA that prevents endothelial cell proliferation at least partly by targeting ?1 integrin. ..
- Wang X, Yu T, Zhang J, Yan Q, Luo Y. Fibronectin and focal adhesion kinase small interfering RNA modulate rat retinal Müller cells adhesion and migration. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2009;29:549-56 pubmed publisher..047; F = 5.985, P = 0.042). Take together, FAK is involved in beta(1)-integrin mediated adhesive signaling and play a critical role in regulating Müller cell adhesion, migration, and so far as to glutamate transportation functions. ..