Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Itga5
Description: integrin subunit alpha 5
Alias: Itga5_retired, integrin alpha-5, integrin alpha 5 (fibronectin receptor alpha), integrin, alpha 5 (fibronectin receptor, alpha polypeptide)
- Finnegan E, Barabino G, Liu X, Chang H, Jonczyk A, Kaul D. Small-molecule cyclic alpha V beta 3 antagonists inhibit sickle red cell adhesion to vascular endothelium and vasoocclusion. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H1038-45 pubmed..Because of their metabolic stability, the use of these cyclic alpha V beta 3 antagonists may constitute a novel therapeutic strategy to block SS RBC adhesion and associated vasoocclusion under flow conditions. ..
- Salehi Had H, Roh M, Giani A, Hisatomi T, Nakao S, Kim I, et al. Utilizing targeted gene therapy with nanoparticles binding alpha v beta 3 for imaging and treating choroidal neovascularization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18864 pubmed publisher..Targeted gene delivery with NP-ATP?-Raf leads to a reduction in size and leakage of the CNV by induction of apoptosis in the CNV. ..
- Soldi R, Mitola S, Strasly M, Defilippi P, Tarone G, Bussolino F. Role of alphavbeta3 integrin in the activation of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2. EMBO J. 1999;18:882-92 pubmed
- Meng Y, Eshghi S, Li Y, Schmidt R, Schaffer D, Healy K. Characterization of integrin engagement during defined human embryonic stem cell culture. FASEB J. 2010;24:1056-65 pubmed publisher..Meng, Y., Eshghi, S., Li, Y. J., Schmidt, R., Schaffer, D. V., Healy, K. E. Characterization of integrin engagement during defined human embryonic stem cell culture. ..
- Jan Y, Matter M, Pai J, Chen Y, Pilch J, Komatsu M, et al. A mitochondrial protein, Bit1, mediates apoptosis regulated by integrins and Groucho/TLE corepressors. Cell. 2004;116:751-62 pubmed..Thus, we have elucidated an integrin-controlled pathway that is, at least in part, responsible for the cell survival effects of cell-ECM interactions. ..
- Webb D, Zhang H, Majumdar D, Horwitz A. alpha5 integrin signaling regulates the formation of spines and synapses in hippocampal neurons. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6929-35 pubmed..Thus, our results point to a critical role for integrin signaling in regulating the formation of dendritic spines and synapses in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Srinivasan K, Blesson C, Fatima I, Kitchlu S, Jain S, Mehrotra P, et al. Expression of alphaVbeta3 integrin in rat endometrial epithelial cells and its functional role during implantation. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2009;160:124-33 pubmed publisher..The present study has successfully demonstrated the expression of alpha(V)beta(3) in rat EEC as a marker of endometrial receptivity and showed that this molecule is indispensable for the process of implantation in this species. ..
- Dina O, Hucho T, Yeh J, Malik Hall M, Reichling D, Levine J. Primary afferent second messenger cascades interact with specific integrin subunits in producing inflammatory hyperalgesia. Pain. 2005;115:191-203 pubmed
- Liu Z, Zhou W, Tangl S, Liu S, Xu X, Rausch fan X. Potential mechanism for osseointegration of dental implants in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;53:748-53 pubmed publisher..Diabetes interferes with the osseointegration of implants by deferring expression of fibronectin and integrin Î±5Î²1. ..
- Wu H, Zhang Y, Xu Z, Zhang J, Zhang X, Zhao Z. [The expression of integrin alpha5beta1 and transforming growth factor-beta in pulmonary fibrosis of rat]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi. 1999;28:427-31 pubmed..Integrin alpha(5)beta(1) played a key role in inducing the activation, proliferation and differentiation of PFbs, causing an increase of extra-cellular matrix synthesis during pulmonary fibrogenesis. ..
- Baudoin C, Goumans M, Mummery C, Sonnenberg A. Knockout and knockin of the beta1 exon D define distinct roles for integrin splice variants in heart function and embryonic development. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1202-16 pubmed..We propose that beta1D is less efficient than beta1A in mediating the signaling that regulates cell motility and responses of the cells to mechanical stress. ..
- Almeida M, Monteiro K, Kato E, Sampaio S, Braga T, Camara N, et al. Hyperglycemia reduces integrin subunits alpha v and alpha 5 on the surface of dermal fibroblasts contributing to deficient migration. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;421:19-28 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the mechanisms involved in the deleterious effects of Diabetes Mellitus on wound healing include the ability of fibroblasts to secrete and to adhere to fibronectin. ..
- Gohlke H, Schmitz B, Sommerfeld A, Reinehr R, Haussinger D. ?5 ?1-integrins are sensors for tauroursodeoxycholic acid in hepatocytes. Hepatology. 2013;57:1117-29 pubmed publisher..TUDC can directly activate intrahepatocytic ?1 integrins, which trigger signal transduction pathways toward choleresis. (HEPATOLOGY 2013). ..
- Dina O, Parada C, Yeh J, Chen X, McCarter G, Levine J. Integrin signaling in inflammatory and neuropathic pain in the rat. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:634-42 pubmed..These results strongly implicate specific integrins in the maintenance of inflammatory and neuropathic hyperalgesia. ..
- Chan C, Weeber E, Kurup S, Sweatt J, Davis R. Integrin requirement for hippocampal synaptic plasticity and spatial memory. J Neurosci. 2003;23:7107-16 pubmed..These results demonstrate that several different integrins are involved in physiological plasticity and provide the first evidence of their requirement for behavioral plasticity in vertebrates. ..
- Lee B, Clarke D, Al Ahmad A, Kahle M, Parham C, Auckland L, et al. Perlecan domain V is neuroprotective and proangiogenic following ischemic stroke in rodents. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:3005-23 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that perlecan domain V represents a promising approach for stroke treatment. ..
- Wadehra M, Iyer R, Goodglick L, Braun J. The tetraspan protein epithelial membrane protein-2 interacts with beta1 integrins and regulates adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:41094-100 pubmed..This study demonstrates for the first time the interaction of a GAS3/PMP22 family member with an integrin protein and suggests that such interactions and their functional consequences are a physiologic role of GAS3/PMP22 proteins. ..
- Nishimura K, Doi D, Samata B, Murayama S, Tahara T, Onoe H, et al. Estradiol Facilitates Functional Integration of iPSC-Derived Dopaminergic Neurons into Striatal Neuronal Circuits via Activation of Integrin ?5?1. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;6:511-524 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the simultaneous administration of E2B with stem cell-derived DA progenitors can enhance the efficacy of cell transplantation therapy for PD. ..
- Wang Z, Wang M, Carr B. Integrin alpha5-induced EGFR activation by prothrombin triggers hepatocyte apoptosis via the JNK signaling pathway. J Cell Physiol. 2008;216:551-7 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that integrin-related EGFR activation by prothrombin can induce cell growth inhibition and apoptosis via an EGFR-JNK signaling pathway. ..
- Kim Y, Kim K, Park D, Eom S, Park H, Lee H, et al. Integrin ?(5) interacts with EGFR, is necessary for Fc?RI signaling and is necessary for allergic inflammation in relation with angiogenesis. Mol Immunol. 2011;48:1035-45 pubmed publisher..This enhanced angiogenic potential of RAECs was dependent on EGFR and integrin ?(5). In conclusion, EGFR, via interaction with Fc?RI and integrin ?(5), is necessary for allergic inflammation associated with cellular interaction. ..
- Wu Y, Pagel M, Muldoon L, Fu R, Neuwelt E. High ?v Integrin Level of Cancer Cells Is Associated with Development of Brain Metastasis in Athymic Rats. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4029-4040 pubmed..Targeting ?v integrin with intetumumab could provide clinical benefit in treating cancer patients who develop metastases. ..
- Mufti R, Zechariah A, Sancho M, Mazumdar N, Brett S, Welsh D. Implications of Î±vÎ²3 Integrin Signaling in the Regulation of Ca2+ Waves and Myogenic Tone in Cerebral Arteries. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015;35:2571-8 pubmed publisher..These discrete asynchronous Ca(2+) events facilitate MLC20 phosphorylation and, in part, myogenic tone by influencing both MLC kinase and MLC phosphatase activity. ..
- Maldonado H, Calderon C, Burgos Bravo F, Kobler O, Zuschratter W, Ramirez O, et al. Astrocyte-to-neuron communication through integrin-engaged Thy-1/CBP/Csk/Src complex triggers neurite retraction via the RhoA/ROCK pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:243-254 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to detail the signaling pathway triggered by ?v?3, the endogenous Thy-1 ligand, highlighting the role of membrane-bound integrins as trans acting ligands in astrocyte-neuron communication. ..
- Shynlova O, Williams S, Draper H, White B, MacPhee D, Lye S. Uterine stretch regulates temporal and spatial expression of fibronectin protein and its alpha 5 integrin receptor in myometrium of unilaterally pregnant rats. Biol Reprod. 2007;77:880-8 pubmed..a dramatic increase in the expression of the mRNAs that encode fibronectin (FN) and its alpha5-integrin receptor (ITGA5) in pregnant rat myometrium near to term...
- Jovanovic J, Takagi J, Choulier L, Abrescia N, Stuart D, van der Merwe P, et al. alphaVbeta6 is a novel receptor for human fibrillin-1. Comparative studies of molecular determinants underlying integrin-rgd affinity and specificity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6743-51 pubmed..Non-focal contact distribution of alpha5beta1 suggests that its engagement by fibrillin-1 may elicit a lesser degree and/or different type of intracellular signaling compared with that seen with a high affinity ligand. ..
- Chao C, Ma Y, Chu K, Lee E. Integrin alphav and NCAM mediate the effects of GDNF on DA neuron survival, outgrowth, DA turnover and motor activity in rats. Neurobiol Aging. 2003;24:105-16 pubmed..These results demonstrate that integrin alphav and NCAM mediate the effects of GDNF on DA neuron survival and outgrowth during development and on DA turnover and motor function during adulthood. ..
- Milliano M, Luxon B. Initial signaling of the fibronectin receptor (alpha5beta1 integrin) in hepatic stellate cells is independent of tyrosine phosphorylation. J Hepatol. 2003;39:32-7 pubmed..Initial integrin signaling by alpha(5)beta(1) are associated with cytoskeletal proteins and are independent of tyrosine phosphorylation. We suggest that there may be cytoskeletal changes that may be targeted to diminish HSC activation. ..
- Balasubramanian L, Lo C, Sham J, Yip K. Remanent cell traction force in renal vascular smooth muscle cells induced by integrin-mediated mechanotransduction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;304:C382-91 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, mechanical force transduced by ?(5)?(1)-integrins triggered a myogenic response-like behavior in isolated renal VSMCs. ..
- Sutherland A, Calarco P, Damsky C. Developmental regulation of integrin expression at the time of implantation in the mouse embryo. Development. 1993;119:1175-86 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Ruppert M, Aigner S, Hubbe M, Yagita H, Altevogt P. The L1 adhesion molecule is a cellular ligand for VLA-5. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:1881-91 pubmed..Given its rapid downregulation on lymphocytes after induction of cell proliferation, L1 may be important in integrin-mediated and activation-regulated cell-cell interactions. ..
- Wada J, Kumar A, Liu Z, Ruoslahti E, Reichardt L, Marvaldi J, et al. Cloning of mouse integrin alphaV cDNA and role of the alphaV-related matrix receptors in metanephric development. J Cell Biol. 1996;132:1161-76 pubmed..The expressions of integrin beta3, beta5, and beta6 were unaltered. These findings suggest that the integrin alphaV is developmentally regulated, has a distinct spatio-temporal expression, and is relevant in the mammalian organogenesis. ..
- Nawata J, Ohno I, Isoyama S, Suzuki J, Miura S, Ikeda J, et al. Differential expression of alpha 1, alpha 3 and alpha 5 integrin subunits in acute and chronic stages of myocardial infarction in rats. Cardiovasc Res. 1999;43:371-81 pubmed..The expression of the alpha 3 subunit was not altered throughout the experimental period. These data suggest that integrin subunits play an important role in healing and remodeling processes after myocardial infarction. ..
- Jiang G, Giannone G, Critchley D, Fukumoto E, Sheetz M. Two-piconewton slip bond between fibronectin and the cytoskeleton depends on talin. Nature. 2003;424:334-7 pubmed
- Chernousov M, Carey D. alphaVbeta8 integrin is a Schwann cell receptor for fibrin. Exp Cell Res. 2003;291:514-24 pubmed..Taken together, these results strongly suggest that alphaVbeta8 integrin is a Schwann cell receptor for fibrin. ..
- Bax D, Messent A, Tart J, van Hoang M, Kott J, Maciewicz R, et al. Integrin alpha5beta1 and ADAM-17 interact in vitro and co-localize in migrating HeLa cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22377-86 pubmed..We postulate that the interaction of ADAM-17 with alpha(5)beta(1) may target or modulate its metalloproteolytic activity. ..
- Williams S, White B, Macphee D. Expression of alpha5 integrin (Itga5) is elevated in the rat myometrium during late pregnancy and labor: implications for development of a mechanical syncytium. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1114-24 pubmed..in the regulation of smooth muscle contractility and cell adhesion, we hypothesized that alpha5 integrin mRNA (Itga5) and protein (ITGA5) expression would be induced in the rat myometrium during late pregnancy and labor...
- Trache A, Trzeciakowski J, Meininger G. Mg2+ modulates integrin-extracellular matrix interaction in vascular smooth muscle cells studied by atomic force microscopy. J Mol Recognit. 2010;23:316-21 pubmed publisher..These changes can be recorded as direct measurements on live smooth muscle cells by using AFM. ..
- Bonauer A, Carmona G, Iwasaki M, Mione M, Koyanagi M, Fischer A, et al. MicroRNA-92a controls angiogenesis and functional recovery of ischemic tissues in mice. Science. 2009;324:1710-3 pubmed publisher..MiR-92a appears to target mRNAs corresponding to several proangiogenic proteins, including the integrin subunit alpha5. Thus, miR-92a may serve as a valuable therapeutic target in the setting of ischemic disease. ..
- Chao J, Gui P, Zamponi G, Davis G, Davis M. Spatial association of the Cav1.2 calcium channel with ?5?1-integrin. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;300:C477-89 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new evidence for how interactions between ?(5)?(1)-integrin and FN can modulate Ca(L) entry and consequently alter the physiological function of multiple types of excitable cells. ..