Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: inhibin alpha
Description: inhibin alpha subunit
Alias: inhibin alpha chain
Products: inhibin alpha
- Burkart A, Mukherjee A, Sterneck E, Johnson P, Mayo K. Repression of the inhibin alpha-subunit gene by the transcription factor CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein-beta. Endocrinology. 2005;146:1909-21 pubmed..Expression of inhibin alpha- and beta-subunit genes in the rodent ovary is positively regulated by FSH and negatively regulated after the ..
- Mylonas I, Jeschke U, Shabani N, Kuhn C, Friese K, Gerber B. Inhibin/activin subunits (inhibin-alpha, -betaA and -betaB) are differentially expressed in human breast cancer and their metastasis. Oncol Rep. 2005;13:81-8 pubmed..Therefore, inhibin/activin subunits might be useful prognostic markers for breast cancer. ..
- Suescun M, Lustig L, Calandra R, Groome N, Campo S. Correlation between inhibin secretion and damage of seminiferous tubules in a model of experimental autoimmune orchitis. J Endocrinol. 2001;170:113-20 pubmed..Strong expression of the inhibin alpha-subunit in Sertoli cells of untreated and control rats was observed; this subunit was undetectable or poorly ..
- Fujimura H, Ohsawa K, Funaba M, Murata T, Murata E, Takahashi M, et al. Immunological localization and ontogenetic development of inhibin alpha subunit in rat brain. J Neuroendocrinol. 1999;11:157-63 pubmed..Immunohistochemistry using antiserum directed against the mature region of porcine inhibin alpha (1-19, Tyr20) revealed positive reactions in process-bearing cells resembling astroglia in several regions, ..
- Meunier H, Rivier C, Evans R, Vale W. Gonadal and extragonadal expression of inhibin alpha, beta A, and beta B subunits in various tissues predicts diverse functions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:247-51 pubmed..In addition to the ovary and testis, inhibin alpha, beta A, and beta B RNAs were detected in the placenta, pituitary, adrenal, bone marrow, kidney, spinal cord, ..
- Matzuk M, Finegold M, Mather J, Krummen L, Lu H, Bradley A. Development of cancer cachexia-like syndrome and adrenal tumors in inhibin-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:8817-21 pubmed..However, these gonadectomized, inhibin-deficient mice eventually develop adrenal cortical sex steroidogenic tumors with nearly 100% penetrance, demonstrating that inhibin is also a tumor suppressor for the adrenal gland...
- Yu W, Riedel M, Yamashiro D, Ramasharma K, McCann S. Effects of alpha-inhibin-92 fragments and alpha-inhibin-92 antiserum on the control of follicle-stimulating hormone release in male rats. Life Sci. 1994;55:93-102 pubmed..01). Since immunoneutralization of alpha-IB-92 significantly elevated FSH release in immature rats, alpha-IB-92 has a physiological inhibiting role in control of FSH but not LH release at this stage of development. ..
- Woodruff T, Meunier H, Jones P, Hsueh A, Mayo K. Rat inhibin: molecular cloning of alpha- and beta-subunit complementary deoxyribonucleic acids and expression in the ovary. Mol Endocrinol. 1987;1:561-8 pubmed..In the present work, cDNA clones encoding the inhibin alpha- and beta A-subunits have been isolated from rat ovary and characterized...
- Cobellis L, Cataldi P, Reis F, De Palo G, Raspagliesi F, Pilotti S, et al. Gonadal malignant germ cell tumors express immunoreactive inhibin/activin subunits. Eur J Endocrinol. 2001;145:779-84 pubmed..The present results show positive staining for inhibin/activin subunits in ovarian and testicular MGCT, suggesting a possible role in tumorigenesis with the resultant clinical implication. ..
- Wiater E, Lewis K, Donaldson C, Vaughan J, Bilezikjian L, Vale W. Endogenous betaglycan is essential for high-potency inhibin antagonism in gonadotropes. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:1033-42 pubmed publisher..These data establish that betaglycan is an endogenous inhibin coreceptor required for high-sensitivity inhibin antagonism of activin signaling in rat anterior pituitary gonadotropes. ..
- Jidong W, Xiaohui M, Fang D, Xiaojing H, Shuang L, Hongjuan P, et al. Changes in the reproductive endocrine function in rat following intraovary microinjection of inhba overexpression lentivirus vectors. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2013;29:775-8 pubmed publisher..inhba overexpression in rat ovary in vivo may change reproductive endocrine function. ..
- Andreone L, Velásquez E, Abramovich D, Ambao V, Loreti N, Croxatto H, et al. Regulation of inhibin/activin expression in rat early antral follicles. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;309:48-54 pubmed publisher..These results show that FSH and the steroid follicular microenvironment differentially modulate the gene expression of inhibin/activin subunits, their assembly and secretion. ..
- Herath C, Watanabe G, Wanzhu J, Noguchi J, Akiyama K, Kuramoto K, et al. Elevated levels of inhibin-A and immunoreactive inhibin in aged male Wistar rats with testicular Leydig cell tumor. J Androl. 2001;22:838-46 pubmed..rats examined immunohistochemically showed strong positive staining for all 3 inhibin subunits, in particular inhibin alpha and betaA subunits, in the tumor cells...
- Lebrun J, Vale W. Activin and inhibin have antagonistic effects on ligand-dependent heteromerization of the type I and type II activin receptors and human erythroid differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1682-91 pubmed
- Rivier C, Vale W. Immunoneutralization of endogenous inhibin modifies hormone secretion and ovulation rate in the rat. Endocrinology. 1989;125:152-7 pubmed..They also indicate that immunization against inhibin increases ovulation rate, a phenomenon probably mediated through elevated levels of circulating FSH. ..
- Koike S, Noumura T. Effects of inhibin on rat gonadal differentiation and development in vitro. Zoolog Sci. 1996;13:385-92 pubmed..These results indicate that inhibin induces the seminiferous tubule formation and suppresses the female germ cell division in developing rat gonads in vitro. ..
- Klaij I, Timmerman M, Kramer P, Meijs Roelofs H, de Jong F. Testicular and serum levels of inhibin and expression of inhibin subunit mRNAs are differentially affected by hemicastration in rats of various ages. J Endocrinol. 1994;141:143-51 pubmed..b>Inhibin alpha-subunit mRNA expression was increased in the testes of hemicastrated rats of 8 and 15 days of age, whereas ..
- Ying S, Li S, Zhang Z. Expression and localization of inhibin alpha-subunit in rat retinal photoreceptor cells. Life Sci. 1995;57:45-52 pubmed..The localization of mature inhibin protein and its corresponding message to photoreceptor cells suggest that inhibin may have a paracrine function in the retina, perhaps in the photoreceptor cells themselves. ..
- Yeh J, Kim B. Increasing blunting of inhibin responses to dynamic ovarian challenge is associated with reproductive aging in the rat. Reprod Sci. 2007;14:10-9 pubmed..analyses of ovarian lysates were consistent with the serum inhibin level results and revealed that ovarian inhibin alpha, inhibin beta A, and inhibin beta B subunit levels in adult ovaries were elevated after ovarian stimulation ..
- Xu J, McKeehan K, Matsuzaki K, McKeehan W. Inhibin antagonizes inhibition of liver cell growth by activin by a dominant-negative mechanism. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6308-13 pubmed..The results suggest that inhibin may be a natural antagonist of assembly of the heterodimeric activin receptor complex through a dominant-negative mechanism. ..
- Worbs S, Shabani N, Mayr D, Gingelmaier A, Makrigiannakis A, Kuhn C, et al. Expression of the inhibin/activin subunits (-alpha, -betaA and -betaB) in normal and carcinogenic endometrial tissue: possible immunohistochemical differentiation markers. Oncol Rep. 2007;17:97-104 pubmed..However, the utilization of these subunits as specific tumor markers still remains unclear. ..
- Lukefahr A, Frye J, Wright L, Marion S, Hoyer P, Funk J. Decreased bone mineral density in rats rendered follicle-deplete by an ovotoxic chemical correlates with changes in follicle-stimulating hormone and inhibin A. Calcif Tissue Int. 2012;90:239-49 pubmed publisher..Thus, for the first time, both the hormonal milieu of perimenopause and the association of dynamic perimenopausal changes in FSH and inhibin A with decreased BMD have been reproduced in an animal model. ..
- Mellor S, Richards M, Pedersen J, Robertson D, Risbridger G. Loss of the expression and localization of inhibin alpha-subunit in high grade prostate cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83:969-75 pubmed..In contrast, functional deletion of the inhibin alpha gene in male and female mice results in the development of primary gonadal granulosa/Sertoli cell tumors...
- Esch F, Shimasaki S, Cooksey K, Mercado M, Mason A, Ying S, et al. Complementary deoxyribonucleic acid (cDNA) cloning and DNA sequence analysis of rat ovarian inhibins. Mol Endocrinol. 1987;1:388-96 pubmed..e. activin (beta A beta B) and homoactivin A (beta A beta A), which are derived from the beta subunits of the two inhibins. ..
- Lewis K, Gray P, Blount A, MacConell L, Wiater E, Bilezikjian L, et al. Betaglycan binds inhibin and can mediate functional antagonism of activin signalling. Nature. 2000;404:411-4 pubmed..The ability of betaglycan to facilitate inhibin antagonism of activin provides a variation on the emerging roles of proteoglycans as co-receptors modulating ligand-receptor sensitivity, selectivity and function. ..
- Ahn J, Jung H, Cho C, Choi D, Mayo K, Cho B. Changes in the reproductive functions of mice due to injection of a plasmid expressing an inhibin alpha-subunit into muscle: a transient transgenic model. Mol Cells. 2004;18:79-86 pubmed..To investigate the roles of inhibin alpha in the reproductive system, an expression plasmid, pCMV-rINA, with the rat inhibin alpha cDNA fused to the ..
- Gummow B, Winnay J, Hammer G. Convergence of Wnt signaling and steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1) on transcription of the rat inhibin alpha gene. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26572-9 pubmed..These data support the recent observation that beta-catenin can participate in nuclear receptor-mediated transcriptional activation and extend the findings to the monomer binding class of orphan nuclear receptors. ..
- Lopez P, Vidal F, Rassoulzadegan M, Cuzin F. A role of inhibin as a tumor suppressor in Sertoli cells: down-regulation upon aging and repression by a viral oncogene. Oncogene. 1999;18:7303-9 pubmed..Both the tumors and the cells in culture exhibited reduced levels of the inhibin alpha subunit mRNA...
- Buzzard J, Loveland K, O Bryan M, O Connor A, Bakker M, Hayashi T, et al. Changes in circulating and testicular levels of inhibin A and B and activin A during postnatal development in the rat. Endocrinology. 2004;145:3532-41 pubmed
- McCluggage W, Young R. Ovarian sertoli-leydig cell tumors with pseudoendometrioid tubules (pseudoendometrioid sertoli-leydig cell tumors). Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:592-7 pubmed..The presence of more typical Sertoli cell elements and Leydig cells, an absence of squamous elements, endometriosis or associated adenofibroma, and the characteristic immunophenotype assist in diagnosis...
- Rapp J, Garrett M, Dene H, Meng H, Hoebee B, Lathrop G. Linkage analysis and construction of a congenic strain for a blood pressure QTL on rat chromosome 9. Genomics. 1998;51:191-6 pubmed..R(chr 9), had a lower blood pressure (19 mm Hg, P < 0.0001) and lower heart weight (112 mg, P < 0.0001) than S rats (2% NaCl diet for 24 days), proving the existence of a blood pressure QTL in the congenic region of about 21 cM. ..
- Sakurada Y, Shirota M, Inoue K, Uchida N, Shirota K. New approach to in situ quantification of ovarian gene expression in rat using a laser microdissection technique: relationship between follicle types and regulation of inhibin-alpha and cytochrome P450aromatase genes in the rat ovary. Histochem Cell Biol. 2006;126:735-41 pubmed
- Feng Z, Li Y, Chen C. Analysis of the 5'-flanking regions of rat inhibin alpha- and beta-B-subunit genes suggests two different regulatory mechanisms. Mol Endocrinol. 1989;3:1914-25 pubmedThe genes encoding rat inhibin alpha- and beta-B-subunits were isolated and characterized. Both genes contain one intron that interrupts the region coding for the precursor portion of the alpha- and beta-B-subunits...