Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Il1rn
Description: interleukin 1 receptor antagonist
Alias: IL-1ra, interleukin-1 receptor antagonist protein, IL-1RN, IL1 inhibitor, IRAP
- Hannum C, Wilcox C, Arend W, Joslin F, Dripps D, Heimdal P, et al. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist activity of a human interleukin-1 inhibitor. Nature. 1990;343:336-40 pubmed..The protein binds to the interleukin-1 receptor but has no interleukin-1-like activity, even at very high concentrations, and is therefore a pure receptor antagonist. ..
- Horai R, Saijo S, Tanioka H, Nakae S, Sudo K, Okahara A, et al. Development of chronic inflammatory arthropathy resembling rheumatoid arthritis in interleukin 1 receptor antagonist-deficient mice. J Exp Med. 2000;191:313-20 pubmed..Possible involvement of IL-1ra gene deficiency in RA will be discussed. ..
- Perrier S, Coussediere C, Dubost J, Albuisson E, Sauvezie B. IL-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1RA) gene polymorphism in Sjögren's syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1998;87:309-13 pubmedThe gene encoding interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1ra) has a variable allelic polymorphism. The IL1RN*2 allele was recently described as a factor of severity in several autoimmune diseases and was paradoxically associated with ..
- Palin K, Verrier D, Tridon V, Hurst J, Perry V, Dantzer R, et al. Influence of the course of brain inflammation on the endogenous IL-1beta/IL-1Ra balance in the model of brain delayed-type hypersensitivity response to bacillus Calmette-Guérin in Lewis rats. J Neuroimmunol. 2004;149:22-30 pubmed..Besides showing that the course of inflammation alters the brain IL-1beta/IL-1Ra ratio, these findings point to the importance of monitoring plasma IL-1beta/IL-1Ra ratio to predict the course of brain inflammation. ..
- Clay F, Cork M, Tarlow J, Blakemore A, Harrington C, Lewis F, et al. Interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphism association with lichen sclerosus. Hum Genet. 1994;94:407-10 pubmed..The frequency of one of the alleles is related to increasing disease severity. Thus, IL-1RN may be a candidate gene or severity factor for lichen sclerosus or may possibly be a linked marker to another, as yet undefined, gene. ..
- Lim W, Fujimoto C, Ursea R, Mahesh S, Silver P, Chan C, et al. Suppression of immune-mediated ocular inflammation in mice by interleukin 1 receptor antagonist administration. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123:957-63 pubmed..Clinical Relevance Systemic administration of IL-1RA may have clinical application in the management of patients with uveitis. ..
- Hirsch E, Irikura V, Paul S, Hirsh D. Functions of interleukin 1 receptor antagonist in gene knockout and overproducing mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:11008-13 pubmed..These data demonstrate critical roles for endogenously produced IL-1ra in growth, responses to infection and inflammation, and regulation of cytokine expression. ..
- Aksentijevich I, Nowak M, Mallah M, Chae J, Watford W, Hofmann S, et al. De novo CIAS1 mutations, cytokine activation, and evidence for genetic heterogeneity in patients with neonatal-onset multisystem inflammatory disease (NOMID): a new member of the expanding family of pyrin-associated autoinflammatory diseases. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:3340-8 pubmed..IL-1 regulation by CIAS1 suggests that IL-1 receptor blockade may constitute a rational approach to the treatment of NOMID/CINCA syndrome. ..
- Solomon A, Dursun D, Liu Z, Xie Y, Macri A, Pflugfelder S. Pro- and anti-inflammatory forms of interleukin-1 in the tear fluid and conjunctiva of patients with dry-eye disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42:2283-92 pubmed..These results suggest that IL-1 may play a key role in the pathogenesis of keratoconjunctivitis sicca. ..
- Carter D, Deibel M, Dunn C, Tomich C, Laborde A, Slightom J, et al. Purification, cloning, expression and biological characterization of an interleukin-1 receptor antagonist protein. Nature. 1990;344:633-8 pubmedA human myelomonocytic cell line, U937, produced an interleukin-1 (IL-1) receptor antagonist protein (IRAP) which was purified and partially sequenced. A complementary DNA coding for IRAP was cloned and sequenced...
- Mansfield J, Holden H, Tarlow J, di Giovine F, McDowell T, Wilson A, et al. Novel genetic association between ulcerative colitis and the anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-1 receptor antagonist. Gastroenterology. 1994;106:637-42 pubmed..This observation provides evidence that interleukin-1 receptor antagonist may have a role in determining the genetic susceptibility to and pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis. ..
- Fisher C, Dhainaut J, Opal S, Pribble J, Balk R, Slotman G, et al. Recombinant human interleukin 1 receptor antagonist in the treatment of patients with sepsis syndrome. Results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Phase III rhIL-1ra Sepsis Syndrome Study Group. JAMA. 1994;271:1836-43 pubmed
- Dana M, Yamada J, Streilein J. Topical interleukin 1 receptor antagonist promotes corneal transplant survival. Transplantation. 1997;63:1501-7 pubmed..Topical treatment with IL-1ra has a significantly positive effect in promoting corneal allograft survival. ..
- Hailer N, Vogt C, Korf H, Dehghani F. Interleukin-1beta exacerbates and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist attenuates neuronal injury and microglial activation after excitotoxic damage in organotypic hippocampal slice cultures. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:2347-60 pubmed
- Schreiber A, Pham C, Hu Y, Schneider W, Luft F, Kettritz R. Neutrophil serine proteases promote IL-1? generation and injury in necrotizing crescentic glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012;23:470-82 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the development of anti-MPO antibody-induced NCGN requires NSP-dependent IL-1? generation and that these processes may provide therapeutic targets for ANCA-mediated diseases in humans...
- Pradillo J, Denes A, Greenhalgh A, Boutin H, Drake C, McColl B, et al. Delayed administration of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist reduces ischemic brain damage and inflammation in comorbid rats. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2012;32:1810-9 pubmed publisher..These data are the first to indicate that IL-1Ra protects against ischemic brain injury when administered via a clinically relevant route and time window in animals with multiple risk factors for stroke. ..
- Antin J, Weinstein H, Guinan E, McCarthy P, Bierer B, Gilliland D, et al. Recombinant human interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in the treatment of steroid-resistant graft-versus-host disease. Blood. 1994;84:1342-8 pubmed..Inhibition of IL-1 activity with IL-1Ra is safe and has demonstrable efficacy in acute GVHD that failed to respond to conventional treatment. These data provide further evidence that IL-1 is a mediator of GVHD. ..
- Kuemmerle Deschner J, Lohse P, Koetter I, Dannecker G, Reess F, Ummenhofer K, et al. NLRP3 E311K mutation in a large family with Muckle-Wells syndrome--description of a heterogeneous phenotype and response to treatment. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R196 pubmed publisher..One patient had a severe course, which led to renal failure secondary to amyloidosis. IL-1 inhibition leads to rapid and sustained improvement of symptoms. ..
- Ghani R, Zainudin S, Ctkong N, Rahman A, Wafa S, Mohamad M, et al. Serum IL-6 and IL-1-ra with sequential organ failure assessment scores in septic patients receiving high-volume haemofiltration and continuous venovenous haemofiltration. Nephrology (Carlton). 2006;11:386-93 pubmed..In addition, the baseline serum IL-6 and IL-1-ra were independent predictors of a poor outcome as reflected by the higher SOFA scores at day 1. ..
- Zheng C, Huang D, Bergenbrant S, Sundblad A, Osterborg A, Bjorkholm M, et al. Interleukin 6, tumour necrosis factor alpha, interleukin 1beta and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist promoter or coding gene polymorphisms in multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol. 2000;109:39-45 pubmed..Our results indicate that the cytokine (IL-6, TNF-alpha and IL-1beta) and IL-Ra gene polymorphisms do not confer susceptibility to the development of MM. ..
- Hsieh M, Chong I, Hwang J, Lee C, Ho C, Yu M, et al. Lack of associations between several polymorphisms in cytokine genes and the risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases in Taiwan. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2008;24:126-37 pubmed publisher..Despite this, smoking is still an important risk factor for developing COPD. ..
- Porzio S, Bossù P, Ruggiero P, Boraschi D, Tagliabue A. Mucosal delivery of anti-inflammatory IL-1Ra by sporulating recombinant bacteria. BMC Biotechnol. 2004;4:27 pubmed..Mucosal administration of recombinant B. subtilis causes the release of cytoplasmic recombinant proteins, which can then be found in serum and exert their biological activity in vivo systemically. ..
- Tsao T, Li L, Hsieh M, Liao S, Chang K. Soluble TNF-alpha receptor and IL-1 receptor antagonist elevation in BAL in active pulmonary TB. Eur Respir J. 1999;14:490-5 pubmed
- Blakemore A, Cox A, Gonzalez A, Maskil J, Hughes M, Wilson R, et al. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist allele (IL1RN*2) associated with nephropathy in diabetes mellitus. Hum Genet. 1996;97:369-74 pubmedWe have previously found association between an allele of the interleukin-1 (IL-1) receptor antagonist gene (IL1RN) and several inflammatory diseases, where IL-1 has been implicated in the inflammatory mechanism...
- Yokoo T, Ohashi T, Utsunomiya Y, Kojima H, Imasawa T, Kogure T, et al. Prophylaxis of antibody-induced acute glomerulonephritis with genetically modified bone marrow-derived vehicle cells. Hum Gene Ther. 1999;10:2673-8 pubmed..This success may strengthen the rationale for gene therapy in the treatment of inflammatory diseases such as glomerulonephritis. ..
- Morgera S, Haase M, Kuss T, Vargas Hein O, Zuckermann Becker H, Melzer C, et al. Pilot study on the effects of high cutoff hemofiltration on the need for norepinephrine in septic patients with acute renal failure. Crit Care Med. 2006;34:2099-104 pubmed..In addition, we demonstrate that high cutoff hemofiltration is superior to conventional hemofiltration in the elimination of IL-6 and IL-1ra from the circulating blood of septic patients. ..
- Nowak D, Karolak J, Kubiak J, Gut M, Pitarque J, Molinari A, et al. Substitution at IL1RN and deletion at SLC4A11 segregating with phenotype in familial keratoconus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:2207-15 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to identify sequence variants in candidate genes segregating with the KTCN phenotype in another Ecuadorian family...
- Allen J, Wong H, Costa G, Bienkowski M, Wahl S. Suppression of monocyte function and differential regulation of IL-1 and IL-1ra by IL-4 contribute to resolution of experimental arthritis. J Immunol. 1993;151:4344-51 pubmed..Through an expanding spectrum of effects on monocyte-macrophage phenotypic and functional parameters, IL-4 is emerging as an important inhibitor of cell-mediated immune responses and pathogenic processes. ..
- Chu Y, Zhang Y, Zhang Y, Zhao Z. Involvement of microglial P2X7 receptors and downstream signaling pathways in long-term potentiation of spinal nociceptive responses. Brain Behav Immun. 2010;24:1176-89 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that microglial P2X7Rs and its downstream signaling pathways play a pivotal role in the induction of spinal LTP and persistent pain induced by TSS. ..
- van Minkelen R, de Visser M, Houwing Duistermaat J, Vos H, Bertina R, Rosendaal F. Haplotypes of IL1B, IL1RN, IL1R1, and IL1R2 and the risk of venous thrombosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:1486-91 pubmed..The aim of this study was to investigate whether common variations in IL1B, IL1RN, IL1R1, and IL1R2 influence the risk of venous thrombosis...
- Fabricio A, Tringali G, Pozzoli G, Melo M, Vercesi J, Souza G, et al. Interleukin-1 mediates endothelin-1-induced fever and prostaglandin production in the preoptic area of rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R1515-23 pubmed..In conclusion, our results show that ET-1 increases IL-1 production in the POA, and this effect appears to be correlated to ET-1-induced fever in vivo, as well as to PG production in vitro. ..
- Pindjáková J, Hanley S, Duffy M, Sutton C, Weidhofer G, Miller M, et al. Interleukin-1 accounts for intrarenal Th17 cell activation during ureteral obstruction. Kidney Int. 2012;81:379-90 pubmed publisher..Production of interleukin 1 family cytokines by resident dendritic cells and infiltrating monocytes enhances intrarenal Th17 activation in acute kidney injury. ..
- Chai B, Guo W, Wei F, Dubner R, Ren K. Trigeminal-rostral ventromedial medulla circuitry is involved in orofacial hyperalgesia contralateral to tissue injury. Mol Pain. 2012;8:78 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the development of CFA-induced contralateral orofacial hyperalgesia is mediated through descending facilitatory mechanisms of the RVM-Vi/Vc circuitry. ..
- Lan H, Nikolic Paterson D, Mu W, Vannice J, Atkins R. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist halts the progression of established crescentic glomerulonephritis in the rat. Kidney Int. 1995;47:1303-9 pubmed
- Franchimont D, Martens H, Hagelstein M, Louis E, Dewe W, Chrousos G, et al. Tumor necrosis factor alpha decreases, and interleukin-10 increases, the sensitivity of human monocytes to dexamethasone: potential regulation of the glucocorticoid receptor. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:2834-9 pubmed..This study suggests that the pattern of pro-/antiinflammatory cytokine secretion may alter the response of patients to glucocorticoid therapy. ..
- Tsai L, Lan J, Lin C, Hsiao S, Tsai L, Tsai J. The different expression patterns of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in systemic lupus erythematosus. Tissue Antigens. 2006;68:493-501 pubmedThe interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL1RN or IL-1Ra) is a natural antagonist of IL-1-beta...
- Dripps D, Verderber E, Ng R, Thompson R, Eisenberg S. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist binds to the type II interleukin-1 receptor on B cells and neutrophils. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:20311-5 pubmed..There may be a population of cells for which the actions of IL-1 cannot be effectively opposed by IL-1ra, although this group does not include mature B cells and PMNs. ..
- Pineda E, Hensler J, Sankar R, Shin D, Burke T, Mazarati A. Interleukin-1? causes fluoxetine resistance in an animal model of epilepsy-associated depression. Neurotherapeutics. 2012;9:477-85 pubmed publisher..In such forms of depression, the use of interleukin-1? blockers in conjunction with SSRI may represent an effective therapeutic approach. ..
- Whyte M, Hubbard R, Meliconi R, Whidborne M, Eaton V, Bingle C, et al. Increased risk of fibrosing alveolitis associated with interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene polymorphisms. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;162:755-8 pubmed..These data suggest IL-1RN (+2018) allele 2 and TNF-A (-308) allele 2 confer increased risk of developing FA and, therefore, that unopposed IL-1beta and/or excessive TNF-alpha may play a pathophysiologic role in this condition. ..
- Swiergiel A, Smagin G, Johnson L, Dunn A. The role of cytokines in the behavioral responses to endotoxin and influenza virus infection in mice: effects of acute and chronic administration of the interleukin-1-receptor antagonist (IL-1ra). Brain Res. 1997;776:96-104 pubmed..The results suggest that IL-1 contributes to sickness behavior induced by LPS and influenza virus infection, but it is not the only factor involved. ..
- Osika E, Cavaillon J, Chadelat K, Boule M, Fitting C, Tournier G, et al. Distinct sputum cytokine profiles in cystic fibrosis and other chronic inflammatory airway disease. Eur Respir J. 1999;14:339-46 pubmed..They also suggest that impairment of interleukin-6 expression may represent an important component of the excessive inflammatory response observed in cystic fibrosis. ..
- Ahirwar D, Agrahari A, Mandhani A, Mittal R. Cytokine gene polymorphisms are associated with risk of urinary bladder cancer and recurrence after BCG immunotherapy. Biomarkers. 2009;14:213-8 pubmed publisher..37) and enhanced (HR 2.24) risk of recurrence after BCG immunotherapy, respectively. The study suggests that cytokine gene variants may modulate CaB susceptibility and risk of recurrence after BCG immunotherapy. ..
- Buraczynska M, Ksiazek P, Kubit P, Zaluska W. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphism affects the progression of chronic renal failure. Cytokine. 2006;36:167-72 pubmed..Our results demonstrate for the first time the association of the IL-1Ra allele 2 with faster progression to ESRD. If confirmed in other populations, it might be a predictor of faster disease progression. ..
- Loscher C, Mills K, Lynch M. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist exerts agonist activity in the hippocampus independent of the interleukin-1 type I receptor. J Neuroimmunol. 2003;137:117-24 pubmed..These data, taken together with our findings that IL-1ra binds to hippocampal synaptosomes in the absence of IL-1RI, provide evidence that IL-1ra exerts agonist activity in the hippocampus independent of IL-1RI. ..
- Kumari S, Bhol K, Rehman F, Foster C, Ahmed A. Interleukin 1 components in cicatricial pemphigoid. Role in intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. Cytokine. 2001;14:218-24 pubmed..0001). IL-1 may be an important cytokine involved in the pathogenesis of CP. The regulation of IL-1 could be one of the mechanisms, amongst others, by which IVIg may exert its beneficial effect in the treatment of CP. ..
- Patwari P, O Cain P, Goodman D, Smith M, Krushkal J, Liu C, et al. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist intron 2 variable number of tandem repeats polymorphism and respiratory failure in children with community-acquired pneumonia. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2008;9:553-9 pubmed publisher..Conversely, presence of the A1 allele is associated with decreased risk for more severe lung injury in this patient population. ..
- Wetzler M, Kurzrock R, Estrov Z, Kantarjian H, Gisslinger H, Underbrink M, et al. Altered levels of interleukin-1 beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in chronic myelogenous leukemia: clinical and prognostic correlates. Blood. 1994;84:3142-7 pubmed..7 pg/2.4 x 10(5); P = .03). Finally, although IL-1 beta has been previously shown to increase IL-1RA levels, there was no correlation between IL-1 beta and IL-1RA levels in our CML patients.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Zeyrek D, Demir E, Alpman A, Ozkinay F, Gulen F, Tanac R. Association of interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms in Turkish children with atopic asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2008;29:468-74 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, it has been proposed that IL-1beta -511C/T and IL-Ra intron 2 gene polymorphism are useful markers for prediction of asthma. ..
- Moulin D, Bianchi A, Boyault S, Sebillaud S, Koufany M, Francois M, et al. Rosiglitazone induces interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in interleukin-1beta-stimulated rat synovial fibroblasts via a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor beta/delta-dependent mechanism. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:759-69 pubmed
- Buckham T, McKnight A, Benevente D, Courtney A, Patterson C, Simmonds M, et al. Evaluation of five interleukin genes for association with end-stage renal disease in white Europeans. Am J Nephrol. 2010;32:103-8 pubmed publisher..No study has yet reported the comprehensive investigation of IL1A, IL1B, IL1RN,IL6 and IL10 genes...
- Sims J, Smith D. The IL-1 family: regulators of immunity. Nat Rev Immunol. 2010;10:89-102 pubmed publisher..This Review provides an overview of both the long-established and more recently characterized members of the IL-1 family. In addition to their effects on immune cells, their involvement in human disease and disease models is discussed. ..
- Hulkkonen J, Vilpo J, Vilpo L, Koski T, Hurme M. Interleukin-1 beta, interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and interleukin-6 plasma levels and cytokine gene polymorphisms in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: correlation with prognostic parameters. Haematologica. 2000;85:600-6 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that in B-CLL, plasma levels of IL-1 beta, IL-1Ra and IL-6 differ from normal, and mechanisms other than allelic imbalance of their genes account for the distinct cytokine profiles observed in this disease. ..
- Vidal Vanaclocha F, Amezaga C, Asumendi A, Kaplanski G, Dinarello C. Interleukin-1 receptor blockade reduces the number and size of murine B16 melanoma hepatic metastases. Cancer Res. 1994;54:2667-72 pubmed..Using this regimen, survival was 18.1 +/- 2.4 days in the IL-1Ra group and 11.2 +/- 1.5 in controls (P < 0.001). These studies demonstrate a significant role for IL-1 in implantation and growth of metastatic melanoma in the liver. ..
- Lively S, Schlichter L. Age-related comparisons of evolution of the inflammatory response after intracerebral hemorrhage in rats. Transl Stroke Res. 2012;3:132-46 pubmed publisher..The online version of this article (doi:10.1007/s12975-012-0151-3) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users. ..
- Moore J, McMullen T, Campbell I, Rohan R, Kaji Y, Afshari N, et al. The inflammatory milieu associated with conjunctivalized cornea and its alteration with IL-1 RA gene therapy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:2905-15 pubmed..The findings demonstrate the feasibility of using transient cytokine gene expression, either in donor or recipient corneal tissue, to alter the ocular surface environment beneficially. ..
- Bermejo Martin J, Martin Loeches I, Rello J, Antón A, Almansa R, Xu L, et al. Host adaptive immunity deficiency in severe pandemic influenza. Crit Care. 2010;14:R167 pubmed publisher..Interruption of this deleterious cycle may improve disease outcome. ..
- Barak V, Nisman B, Polliack A, Vannier E, Dinarello C. Correlation of serum levels of interleukin-1 family members with disease activity and response to treatment in hairy cell leukemia. Eur Cytokine Netw. 1998;9:33-9 pubmed..Serum levels of these cytokines may therefore be used to monitor therapeutic efficacy of therapy in HCL and to detect any residual disease. ..
- Boehm B, Colopy S, Jerde T, Loftus C, Bushman W. Acute bacterial inflammation of the mouse prostate. Prostate. 2012;72:307-17 pubmed publisher..Transurethral inoculation of uropathogenic E. coli 1677 reliably infects the mouse prostate, produces a significant inflammatory response, and induces quantifiable epithelial proliferation and reactive hyperplasia. ..
- Joki Erkkilä V, Karjalainen J, Hulkkonen J, Pessi T, Nieminen M, Aromaa A, et al. Allergic rhinitis and polymorphisms of the interleukin 1 gene complex. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2003;91:275-9 pubmed..We studied the polymorphisms of 3 IL-1 gene complex genes, IL1A (+4845G>T), IL1B (-511 degrees C>T), and IL1RN (variable number of tandem repeats; IVS2, 86 bp, duplicates 2 to 5), in patients with allergic rhinitis...
- Achyut B, Srivastava A, Bhattacharya S, Mittal B. Genetic association of interleukin-1beta (-511C/T) and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (86 bp repeat) polymorphisms with Type 2 diabetes mellitus in North Indians. Clin Chim Acta. 2007;377:163-9 pubmed..The IL-1beta (-511C/T) and IL-1RN (VNTR) polymorphisms are significantly associated with increased risk of T2DM as well as associated complications in North Indians. ..
- de Vos A, Klaren V, Kijlstra A. Expression of multiple cytokines and IL-1RA in the uvea and retina during endotoxin-induced uveitis in the rat. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1994;35:3873-83 pubmed..This suggests that these mediators may contribute to the development and recovery of this intraocular inflammation. ..
- Mao X, Kawai M, Yamashita T, Enomoto T, Dake Y, Sasaki S, et al. Imbalance production between interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) and IL-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra) in bronchial asthma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;276:607-12 pubmed..We show that the A2 allele of IL1RN (encoding IL-1Ra) associates with nonatopic asthma [OR = 5.71, 95% CI: 1.63-19. 8, Pc = 0.007]...
- Liu Z, Cheng Z, Yu Y, Tang Z, Li L. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist allele: is it a genetic link between Henoch-Schönlein nephritis and IgA nephropathy?. Kidney Int. 1997;51:1938-42 pubmed..It was found that the allele frequency and carriage rate of the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist allele (IL1RN*2) of the IL-1ra gene increased significantly in HSPN patients as compared to IgAN (P < 0.01), APGN (P < 0...
- Rostoker G, Rymer J, Bagnard G, Petit Phar M, Griuncelli M, Pilatte Y. Imbalances in serum proinflammatory cytokines and their soluble receptors: a putative role in the progression of idiopathic IgA nephropathy (IgAN) and Henoch-Schönlein purpura nephritis, and a potential target of immunoglobulin therapy?. Clin Exp Immunol. 1998;114:468-76 pubmed..This process may play a role in the progression of the disease and be one of the targets of immunoglobulin therapy. ..
- Partrick D, Moore E, Moore F, Biffl W, Barnett C. Release of anti-inflammatory mediators after major torso trauma correlates with the development of postinjury multiple organ failure. Am J Surg. 1999;178:564-9 pubmed..High levels of antagonists to TNF-alpha and IL-1beta suggest tissue level involvement of these cytokines in postinjury hyperinflammation. ..
- Prins M, Eriksson C, Wierinckx A, Bol J, Binnekade R, Tilders F, et al. Interleukin-1Î² and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist appear in grey matter additionally to white matter lesions during experimental multiple sclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e83835 pubmed publisher..Endogenously produced IL-1ra seems not capable to counteract IL-1Î²-induced effects. We put forward that IL-1Î² may behold promise as a target to address GM, in addition to WM, related pathology in MS. ..
- Fathalla B, Hamada K, Vannier E, Smith D, Edwards C, Roubenoff R. Effects of aging and cytokine blockade on inflammatory cachexia. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2004;22:85-90 pubmed..Inhibition of both IL-1 and TNF is needed to mitigate AA-associated weight loss, and this effect is dissociated from the effect of such inhibition on joint inflammation. ..
- Pattaro C, Heinrich J, Werner M, de Marco R, Wjst M. Association between interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene and asthma-related traits in a German adult population. Allergy. 2006;61:239-44 pubmed..The genetic variants of IL1RA gene do not to seem to affect asthma alone, but to act as modulators of asthma-related traits as well, where different haplotypes drive the development of different phenotypes. ..
- Chen A, Sheu L, Chou W, Tsai S, Chang D, Liang S, et al. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist modulates the progression of a spontaneously occurring IgA nephropathy in mice. Am J Kidney Dis. 1997;30:693-702 pubmed..Data from these experiments also confirm the pathogenic effects of IL-1 in the established phase of IgAN in ddY mice. ..
- Pugh C, Johnson J, Martin D, Rudy J, Maier S, Watkins L. Human immunodeficiency virus-1 coat protein gp120 impairs contextual fear conditioning: a potential role in AIDS related learning and memory impairments. Brain Res. 2000;861:8-15 pubmed..Finally, heat denaturation of the tertiary structure of gp120 abolished its effects on fear conditioning, suggesting that gp120 impairs contextual fear conditioning by binding to its receptors on glia. ..
- Litalien C, Proulx F, Mariscalco M, Robitaille P, Turgeon J, Orrbine E, et al. Circulating inflammatory cytokine levels in hemolytic uremic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 1999;13:840-5 pubmed..An imbalance between the pro- and the anti-inflammatory responses may be involved in the pathophysiology of VTEC-associated HUS. ..
- Barbaud A, Waton J, Herbeth B, Bursztejn A, Bollaert M, Schmutz J, et al. Comparison of cytokine gene polymorphism in drug-induced maculopapular eruption, urticaria and drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS). J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2014;28:491-9 pubmed publisher..These gene variants may decrease drug tolerance and promote herpes virus reactivation. ..
- del Rey A, Balschun D, Wetzel W, Randolf A, Besedovsky H. A cytokine network involving brain-borne IL-1?, IL-1ra, IL-18, IL-6, and TNF? operates during long-term potentiation and learning. Brain Behav Immun. 2013;33:15-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together with previous studies, we conclude that activation of a cytokine network in the brain is a physiologic relevant phenomenon not only for LTP maintenance but also for certain types of learning. ..
- Tsao T, Hong J, Li L, Hsieh M, Liao S, Chang K. Imbalances between tumor necrosis factor-alpha and its soluble receptor forms, and interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in BAL fluid of cavitary pulmonary tuberculosis. Chest. 2000;117:103-9 pubmed
- Blankenberg F, Levashova Z, Goris M, Hamby C, Backer M, Backer J. Targeted systemic radiotherapy with scVEGF/177Lu leads to sustained disruption of the tumor vasculature and intratumoral apoptosis. J Nucl Med. 2011;52:1630-7 pubmed publisher..As high levels of VEGFR expression in the tumor vasculature are a common feature in a variety of cancers, targeting tumor angiogenesis with scVEGF/(177)Lu warrants further exploration. ..
- Netea M, Hancu N, Blok W, Grigorescu Sido P, Popa L, Popa V, et al. Interleukin 1 beta, tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist in newly diagnosed insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: comparison to long-standing diabetes and healthy individuals. Cytokine. 1997;9:284-7 pubmed..Circulating concentrations of IL-1ra in LS-IDDM patients were increased. These data suggest a proinflammatory imbalance in ND-IDDM patients and this may play an important role in beta cell loss. ..
- Yucesoy B, Vallyathan V, Landsittel D, Sharp D, Weston A, Burleson G, et al. Association of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms with silicosis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2001;172:75-82 pubmed..These studies suggest that gene-environment interactions involving cytokine polymorphisms play a significant role in silicosis by modifying the extent of and susceptibility to disease. ..
- Wang C, Fu C, Yang Y, Lo Y, Wang L, Chuang Y, et al. Adenovirus expressing interleukin-1 receptor antagonist alleviates allergic airway inflammation in a murine model of asthma. Gene Ther. 2006;13:1414-21 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicated that administration of Ad-hIL-1ra may have therapeutic potential for the immunomodulatory treatment of allergic asthma. ..
- Zhao M, Cui J, Cui Y, Li R, Tian Y, Song S, et al. Therapeutic effect of exogenous bone marrow?derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation on silicosis via paracrine mechanisms in rats. Mol Med Rep. 2013;8:741-6 pubmed publisher..The present study provides an experimental basis for cellular therapy in silicosis. ..
- Kafka D, Ling E, Feldman G, Benharroch D, Voronov E, Givon Lavi N, et al. Contribution of IL-1 to resistance to Streptococcus pneumoniae infection. Int Immunol. 2008;20:1139-46 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae infection and suggest that IL-1beta has a major role in resistance to primary pneumococcal infection while the role of IL-1alpha is less important. ..
- Mao H, Yu S, Yu X, Zhang B, Zhang L, Xu X, et al. Effects of coupled plasma filtration adsorption on immune function of patients with multiple organ dysfunction syndrome. Int J Artif Organs. 2009;32:31-8 pubmed..To investigate the effects of coupled plasma filtration adsorption (CPFA) on the immune function of patients with multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS)...