Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Il10
Description: interleukin 10
Alias: IL10X, interleukin-10, CSIF, IL-10, cytokine synthesis inhibitory factor
- Milligan E, Sloane E, Langer S, Hughes T, Jekich B, Frank M, et al. Repeated intrathecal injections of plasmid DNA encoding interleukin-10 produce prolonged reversal of neuropathic pain. Pain. 2006;126:294-308 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that intrathecal IL-10 gene therapy may provide a novel approach for prolonged clinical pain control. ..
- Pestka S, Krause C, Sarkar D, Walter M, Shi Y, Fisher P. Interleukin-10 and related cytokines and receptors. Annu Rev Immunol. 2004;22:929-79 pubmed..Further investigation of these critical intercellular signaling molecules will provide important information to enable these proteins to be used more extensively in therapy for a variety of diseases. ..
- Liu N, Chen R, Du H, Wang J, Zhang Y, Wen J. Expression of IL-10 and TNF-alpha in rats with cerebral infarction after transplantation with mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Mol Immunol. 2009;6:207-13 pubmed publisher..This study strongly suggested transplantation with MSCs could reduce neuronal injury post focal cerebral ischemia in rats partly by regulating the expressions of IL-10 and TNF-alpha in the brain. ..
- Ledeboer A, Brevé J, Wierinckx A, van der Jagt S, Bristow A, Leysen J, et al. Expression and regulation of interleukin-10 and interleukin-10 receptor in rat astroglial and microglial cells. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;16:1175-85 pubmed..Together the findings support the concept that IL-10, produced by activated microglial and astroglial cells, modulates glia-mediated inflammatory responses through high-affinity IL-10 receptors via paracrine and autocrine interactions. ..
- Moore K, de Waal Malefyt R, Coffman R, O GARRA A. Interleukin-10 and the interleukin-10 receptor. Annu Rev Immunol. 2001;19:683-765 pubmed..This review highlights findings that have advanced our understanding of IL-10 and its receptor, as well as its in vivo function in health and disease...
- Ledeboer A, Jekich B, Sloane E, Mahoney J, Langer S, Milligan E, et al. Intrathecal interleukin-10 gene therapy attenuates paclitaxel-induced mechanical allodynia and proinflammatory cytokine expression in dorsal root ganglia in rats. Brain Behav Immun. 2007;21:686-98 pubmed..We propose that targeting the production of proinflammatory cytokines by intrathecal IL-10 gene therapy may be a promising therapeutic strategy for the relief of paclitaxel-induced neuropathic pain. ..
- Sosman J, Verma A, Moss S, Sorokin P, Blend M, Bradlow B, et al. Interleukin 10-induced thrombocytopenia in normal healthy adult volunteers: evidence for decreased platelet production. Br J Haematol. 2000;111:104-11 pubmedRecombinant human interleukin 10 (rhuIL-10) inhibits the production of proinflammatory cytokines and has shown promise in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease...
- Zhou Z, Peng X, Insolera R, Fink D, Mata M. Interleukin-10 provides direct trophic support to neurons. J Neurochem. 2009;110:1617-27 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that in addition to known anti-inflammatory effects through astroglia in other inflammatory cells, IL-10 has direct neuronal effects with important implications for development and neuroprotection. ..
- Apte R, Richter J, Herndon J, Ferguson T. Macrophages inhibit neovascularization in a murine model of age-related macular degeneration. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e310 pubmed..IL-10 regulates macrophage activity in the eye and is an attractive therapeutic target in order to suppress or inhibit CNV in AMD that can otherwise lead to blindness. ..
- Hocke A, Ermert M, Althoff A, Brell B, N Guessan P, Suttorp N, et al. Regulation of interleukin IL-4, IL-13, IL-10, and their downstream components in lipopolysaccharide-exposed rat lungs. Comparison of the constitutive expression between rats and humans. Cytokine. 2006;33:199-211 pubmed..We conclude that non-leukocytic cells in the organism play an important role in the regulation of organ-specific inflammatory reactions, especially in lungs. ..
- Cartmell T, Ball C, Bristow A, Mitchell D, Poole S. Endogenous interleukin-10 is required for the defervescence of fever evoked by local lipopolysaccharide-induced and Staphylococcus aureus-induced inflammation in rats. J Physiol. 2003;549:653-64 pubmed..Our data support a crucial regulatory role for endogenous IL-10 in limiting the fever responses during both Gram-negative and Gram-positive infections. ..
- Lau D, Harte S, Morrow T, Wang S, Mata M, Fink D. Herpes simplex virus vector-mediated expression of interleukin-10 reduces below-level central neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2012;26:889-97 pubmed publisher..Blunting of the neuroimmune response by HSV-mediated delivery of IL-10 reduced pain-related behaviors, and may represent a potential novel therapeutic agent. ..
- Nunes R, Tonetto M, Machado N, Chazan M, Heck T, Veiga A, et al. Physical exercise improves plasmatic levels of IL-10, left ventricular end-diastolic pressure, and muscle lipid peroxidation in chronic heart failure rats. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;104:1641-7 pubmed publisher..05). These findings demonstrate that regular physical training using a swimming protocol, with duration of 8 wk, improves the cardiac function and the anti-inflammatory response and reduces muscle cellular damage. ..
- Wang X, Zhang S, Chen Y, Chen Z, Huang Y, Zhang L. Effects of platelet-derived growth factor and interleukin-10 on Fas/Fas-ligand and Bcl-2/Bax mRNA expression in rat hepatic stellate cells in vitro. World J Gastroenterol. 2004;10:2706-10 pubmed..IL-10 may promote the apoptosis of HSCs by up-regulating the expressions of FasL and Bax and down-regulating the expression of Bcl-2, which may be involved in its antifibrosis mechanism. ..
- Broderick C, Smith A, Balaggan K, Georgiadis A, Georgarias A, Buch P, et al. Local administration of an adeno-associated viral vector expressing IL-10 reduces monocyte infiltration and subsequent photoreceptor damage during experimental autoimmune uveitis. Mol Ther. 2005;12:369-73 pubmed
- Batista M, Rosa J, Lopes R, Lira F, Martins E, Yamashita A, et al. Exercise training changes IL-10/TNF-alpha ratio in the skeletal muscle of post-MI rats. Cytokine. 2010;49:102-8 pubmed publisher..001) in post-MI HF rats. As a consequence, the IL-10/TNF-alpha ratio was increased. This "anti-inflammatory effect" was more pronounced in the soleus than in the EDL, suggesting a fiber composition dependent response. ..
- D Alfonso S, Giordano M, Mellai M, Lanceni M, Barizzone N, Marchini M, et al. Association tests with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) of IL10 markers indicate a direct involvement of a CA repeat in the 5' regulatory region. Genes Immun. 2002;3:454-63 pubmedMany lines of evidence suggest that IL10 is a strong candidate gene for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) susceptibility. In our previously reported study an allele (IL10.G-140bp) of the microsatellite IL10...
- Oishi H, Okada Y, Kikuchi T, Sado T, Oyaizu T, Hoshikawa Y, et al. Lipid-mediated transbronchial human interleukin-10 gene transfer decreases acute inflammation associated with allograft rejection in a rat model of lung transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2007;39:283-5 pubmed..2 +/- 0.4, 2.2 +/- 0.8, and 1.2 +/- 0.4, respectively). Ex vivo lipid-mediated transbronchial hIL-10 gene transfer attenuated acute inflammation associated with AR in a rat model of lung transplantation. ..
- Yang Y, Liu P, Chen L, Liu Z, Zhang H, Wang J, et al. Therapeutic effect of Ginkgo biloba polysaccharide in rats with focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury. Carbohydr Polym. 2013;98:1383-8 pubmed publisher..The neuroprotective effects of GBPw supplement may have potential implication in the future for prevention/protection against cerebral ischemic stroke. ..
- Ueki I, Abiru N, Kawagoe K, Nagayama Y. Interleukin 10 deficiency attenuates induction of anti-TSH receptor antibodies and hyperthyroidism in a mouse Graves' model. J Endocrinol. 2011;209:353-7 pubmed publisher..Although IFN-? is now well known to be essential for disease induction, the role(s) played by IL10 are unknown...
- Qin Q, Luo D, Shi Y, Zhao Q, Chen Y, Wu J, et al. CD25 siRNA induces Treg/Th1 cytokine expression in rat corneal transplantation models. Exp Eye Res. 2016;151:134-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, CD25 siRNA gene therapy played a protective role in corneal graft rejection via up-regulation of Treg cytokine expression and down-regulation of Th1 cytokine expression. ..
- Li H, Qian Z, Li J, Han X, Liu M. Effects of early administration of a novel anticholinergic drug on acute respiratory distress syndrome induced by sepsis. Med Sci Monit. 2011;17:BR319-325 pubmed..weight ratio, bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF), serum tumor necrosis factor (TNF-?), interleukin 6 (IL-6), interleukin 10 (IL-10), total nitrite/nitrate (NOx), superoxide dismutase (SOD), malondialdehyde (MDA) in lung tissues, and ..
- Sharma A, Raikwar S, Kurmi M, Srinivasan B. Gemfibrozil and its combination with metformin on pleiotropic effect on IL-10 and adiponectin and anti-atherogenic treatment in insulin resistant type 2 diabetes mellitus rats. Inflammopharmacology. 2013;21:137-45 pubmed publisher..856 %) (167.5 ± 16.037 mg/dl vs. 129.167 ± 4.214 mg/dl, P < 0.05). Gemfibrozil plus metformin decrease MMP-9, increase IL-10 and adiponectin acting as anti-atherogenic, anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory in IR type 2 DM. ..
- Stojic Vukanic Z, Bufan B, Arsenović Ranin N, Kosec D, Pilipovic I, Perišić Nanut M, et al. Aging affects AO rat splenic conventional dendritic cell subset composition, cytokine synthesis and T-helper polarizing capacity. Biogerontology. 2013;14:443-59 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in MLR, OX62+ DCs from aged rats exhibited enhanced Th1/Th17 driving force and diminished allostimulatory capacity compared with those from young rats. ..
- Dimitrijević M, Aleksić I, Vujić V, Stanojevic S, Pilipovic I, von Horsten S, et al. Peritoneal exudate cells from long-lived rats exhibit increased IL-10/IL-1? expression ratio and preserved NO/urea ratio following LPS-stimulation in vitro. Age (Dordr). 2014;36:9696 pubmed publisher..The study suggests that macrophages from long-lived rats, differently from those of old ones, have substantial ability to limit proinflammatory mediator production, which may contribute to their longevity. ..
- Godet C, Goujon J, Petit I, Lecron J, Hauet T, Mauco G, et al. Endotoxin tolerance enhances interleukin-10 renal expression and decreases ischemia-reperfusion renal injury in rats. Shock. 2006;25:384-8 pubmed..In this study, we demonstrated that administration of low doses of LPS to rats had a protective effect from renal reperfusion injury, and our data suggest that IL-10 might play a role in this phenomenon. ..
- Blazar B, Taylor P, Smith S, Vallera D. Interleukin-10 administration decreases survival in murine recipients of major histocompatibility complex disparate donor bone marrow grafts. Blood. 1995;85:842-51 pubmed..We conclude that the in vivo infusion of exogenous IL-10 in recipients of fully allogeneic donor grafts results in accelerated GVHD and graft rejection in the strain combinations tested to date. ..
- Shim J, Lee E, Park S, Bang D, Sohn S. CD4(+) CD25(+) regulatory T cells ameliorate Behcet's disease-like symptoms in a mouse model. Cytotherapy. 2011;13:835-47 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings are correlated with changes in pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokine levels. ..
- Blum L, Mohanan S, Fabre M, Yafawi R, Appleton J. Intestinal infection with Trichinella spiralis induces distinct, regional immune responses. Vet Parasitol. 2013;194:101-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that despite regional differences in immune responsiveness and colonization, immune mechanisms that clear T. spiralis operate effectively throughout the intestinal tract. ..
- Xu J, Anderson V, Schwarz S. Dietary GD3 ganglioside reduces the incidence and severity of necrotizing enterocolitis by sustaining regulatory immune responses. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013;57:550-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that dietary GD3 protects newborn rats from NEC, in part, by augmenting mucosal Foxp3+ T regulatory immune responses. ..
- Fluckiger A, Garrone P, Durand I, Galizzi J, Banchereau J. Interleukin 10 (IL-10) upregulates functional high affinity IL-2 receptors on normal and leukemic B lymphocytes. J Exp Med. 1993;178:1473-81 pubmedb>Interleukin 10 (IL-10) has recently been shown to induce normal human B lymphocytes to proliferate and differentiate into immunoglobulin (Ig)-secreting cells...
- Stol K, Diavatopoulos D, Graamans K, Engel J, Melchers W, Savelkoul H, et al. Inflammation in the middle ear of children with recurrent or chronic otitis media is associated with bacterial load. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:1128-34 pubmed publisher..The presence of bacteria, but not viruses, is associated with an increased inflammatory response in the middle ear of children with recurrent or chronic OM. ..
- Hara H, Mouri A, Yonemitsu Y, Nabeshima T, Tabira T. Mucosal immunotherapy in an Alzheimer mouse model by recombinant Sendai virus vector carrying A?1-43/IL-10 cDNA. Vaccine. 2011;29:7474-82 pubmed publisher..Thus, this is an alternative immunotherapy for AD, which has an advantage in non-invasive, safe and relatively long lasting features. ..
- Shao Q, Li Y, Wang Q, Zhao J. IL-10 and IL-1? mediate neuropathic-pain like behavior in the ventrolateral orbital cortex. Neurochem Res. 2015;40:733-9 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights and site for therapy at the cerebral cortex level in neuropathic pain condition. ..
- Balding J, Livingstone W, Pittock S, Mynett Johnson L, Ahern T, Hodgson A, et al. The IL-6 G-174C polymorphism may be associated with ischaemic stroke in patients without a history of hypertension. Ir J Med Sci. 2004;173:200-3 pubmed..The IL6 -174 CC genotype may be protective against stroke in those patients who have no history of hypertension. Further studies are required to verify these findings. ..
- Zhao Z, Feng X, Shi T, Yang C, Zhang L. [The comparison of CD4(+) CD25(+) Treg, IL-10 and TGF-beta from lymph and blood in bronchial asthmatic rat and the effect of dexamethasone on it]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2010;26:238-41 pubmed
- Qian L, Hong J, Flood P. Role of microglia in inflammation-mediated degeneration of dopaminergic neurons: neuroprotective effect of interleukin 10. J Neural Transm Suppl. 2006;:367-71 pubmed..IL-10 significantly inhibited the microglial production of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), nitric oxide, ROS and superoxide free radicals after LPS stimulation. ..
- Chu H, Sun J, Xu H, Niu Z, Xu M. Effect of periaqueductal gray melanocortin 4 receptor in pain facilitation and glial activation in rat model of chronic constriction injury. Neurol Res. 2012;34:871-88 pubmed publisher..This research suggests that activation of MC4R in PAG after peripheral nerve injury participates in pain facilitation by regulating the glial activation and inflammatory cytokines secretion. ..
- Rajasagi N, Suryawanshi A, Sehrawat S, Reddy P, Mulik S, Hirashima M, et al. Galectin-1 reduces the severity of herpes simplex virus-induced ocular immunopathological lesions. J Immunol. 2012;188:4631-43 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, our findings are the first to show that gal-1 treatment represents a useful approach to control lesion severity in a virally induced immunopathological disease. ..
- Nivenius E, Montan P, Chryssanthou E, Jung K, van Hage Hamsten M, van der Ploeg I. No apparent association between periocular and ocular microcolonization and the degree of inflammation in patients with atopic keratoconjunctivitis. Clin Exp Allergy. 2004;34:725-30 pubmed..aureus to on-going inflammation in AKC can be dismissed. ..
- Haase M, Klawitter A, Geyer P, Baretton G. Expression of the immunomodulator IL-10 in type I pneumocytes of the rat: alterations of IL-10 expression in radiation-induced lung damage. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007;55:1167-72 pubmed..These cells have the potential to act in a pro-inflammatory way by tumor necrosis factor alpha and also in a pro-fibrotic way by activating TH2 cytokines...
- Raychaudhuri B, Fisher C, Farver C, Malur A, Drazba J, Kavuru M, et al. Interleukin 10 (IL-10)-mediated inhibition of inflammatory cytokine production by human alveolar macrophages. Cytokine. 2000;12:1348-55 pubmed..These observations provide the first evidence that IL-10 antagonizes cytokine transcription in human alveolar macrophages by impeding the nuclear translocation of NF-kappa B by delaying the degradation of I kappa B. ..
- Ambrosius W, Kazmierski R, Michalak S, Kozubski W. Anti-inflammatory cytokines in subclinical carotid atherosclerosis. Neurology. 2006;66:1946-8 pubmed..They discovered that lower IL-10 levels were associated with increased mean IMT in common carotid arteries. ..
- Hebeda C, Teixeira S, Tamura E, Muscara M, de Mello S, Markus R, et al. Nitric oxide modulates lipopolysaccharide-induced endothelial platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule expression via interleukin-10. Clin Exp Immunol. 2011;165:172-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, an association between NO, IL-10 and PECAM-1 was found and may represent a novel mechanism by which NO controls endothelial cell functions. ..
- Myśliwiec M, Zorena K, Balcerska A, Mysliwska J, Lipowski P, Raczynska K. The activity of N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase and tumor necrosis factor-alpha at early stage of diabetic retinopathy development in type 1 diabetes mellitus children. Clin Biochem. 2006;39:851-6 pubmed..One hundred and two children with DM type 1 and 35 healthy controls were analyzed. Levels of TNF-alpha, IL10 and total NAG enzyme activity with its A and B isoforms were measured in serum and urine of all participants...
- Song J, Zhang M, Li D, Li M, An J, Cheng M, et al. Dynamic expression of the suppressor of cytokine signaling-3 and cytokines in the cerebral basilar artery of rats with subarachnoid hemorrhage, and the effect of acetylcholine. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2014;156:941-9; discussion 949 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that SOCS-3 was involved in vasospasm via an IL-6- and IL-10-related mechanism, and that CVS following SAH could be reversed by the intraventricular injection of ACh. ..
- Laughlin T, Bethea J, Yezierski R, Wilcox G. Cytokine involvement in dynorphin-induced allodynia. Pain. 2000;84:159-67 pubmed..Modulation of cytokine activity in the spinal cord may therefore prove to be an effective therapeutic strategy for the treatment of chronic pain. ..
- Jiskra J, Antosova M, Limanova Z, Telicka Z, Lacinova Z. The relationship between thyroid function, serum monokine induced by interferon gamma and soluble interleukin-2 receptor in thyroid autoimmune diseases. Clin Exp Immunol. 2009;156:211-6 pubmed publisher..573, P = 0.00234) and positively with TSH (R = 0.462, P = 0.0179). The results suggest that serum concentrations of sIL-2R and MIG are related to thyroid function rather than to activation of autoimmunity. ..
- Lech Maranda E, Grzybowska Izydorczyk O, Wyka K, Mlynarski W, Borowiec M, Antosik K, et al. Serum tumor necrosis factor-? and interleukin-10 levels as markers to predict outcome of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia in different risk groups defined by the IGHV mutation status. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2012;60:477-86 pubmed publisher..02) followed by Rai stage III-IV (p = 0.048) to be independent factors predicting shorter OS. At diagnosis, TNF-? and IL-10 may predict the outcome of patients with CLL. ..
- Kaur K, Sharma A, Singal P. Significance of changes in TNF-alpha and IL-10 levels in the progression of heart failure subsequent to myocardial infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H106-13 pubmed..This study suggests that a decrease in IL-10 and IL-10-to-TNF-alpha ratio correlates with depressed cardiac function. ..
- Dickinson A, Pearce K, Norden J, O Brien S, Holler E, Bickeböller H, et al. Impact of genomic risk factors on outcome after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for patients with chronic myeloid leukemia. Haematologica. 2010;95:922-7 pubmed publisher..in genes for interleukin 1 receptor antagonist (IL1RN), interleukin 4 (IL4), interleukin 6 (IL6), interleukin 10 (IL10), interferon (IFNG), tumor necrosis factor (TNF) and the cell surface receptors tumor necrosis factor ..
- Hang L, Hsia T, Chen W, Chen H, Tsai J, Tsai F. Interleukin-10 gene -627 allele variants, not interleukin-I beta gene and receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms, are associated with atopic bronchial asthma. J Clin Lab Anal. 2003;17:168-73 pubmed..The results revealed no significant differences between normal individuals and asthma patients (P=0.454, Fisher's exact test). The IL-10 gene -627 "A" allele is an associated risk factor of developing atopic asthma. ..
- Chang D, Shyue S, Liu S, Chen Y, Yeh C, Lai J, et al. Dual biological functions of an interleukin-1 receptor antagonist-interleukin-10 fusion protein and its suppressive effects on joint inflammation. Immunology. 2004;112:643-50 pubmed..Our investigations indicate that this fusion protein effectively suppresses inflammatory arthritis and may initiate a trend for future clinical application to target multiple molecules at the same time. ..
- Skwor T, Atik B, Kandel R, Adhikari H, Sharma B, Dean D. Role of secreted conjunctival mucosal cytokine and chemokine proteins in different stages of trachomatous disease. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2008;2:e264 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight novel pathologic and protective factors involved in trachomatous disease, which will aid in designing immunomodulating therapeutics and a vaccine. ..
- Fukushima A, Sumi T, Fukuda K, Kumagai N, Nishida T, Yagita H, et al. Interleukin 10 and transforming growth factor beta contribute to the development of experimentally induced allergic conjunctivitis in mice during the effector phase. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:1535-41 pubmed..developing experimentally induced allergic conjunctivitis were injected intraperitoneally with 200 microg of anti-IL10 or anti-TGF beta antibodies at 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 days (induction phase treatment) or 500 microg of antibodies 2 h ..
- Caligiuri G, Rudling M, Ollivier V, Jacob M, Michel J, Hansson G, et al. Interleukin-10 deficiency increases atherosclerosis, thrombosis, and low-density lipoproteins in apolipoprotein E knockout mice. Mol Med. 2003;9:10-7 pubmed..The early phase of lesion development was increased, and the proteolytic and procoagulant activity was elevated in advanced lesions. These data show that IL-10 may reduce atherogenesis and improve the stability of plaques. ..
- Long J, Tong H, Shannon P, DeMaria T. Differential expression of cytokine genes and inducible nitric oxide synthase induced by opacity phenotype variants of Streptococcus pneumoniae during acute otitis media in the rat. Infect Immun. 2003;71:5531-40 pubmed..Data from this study indicate that S. pneumoniae opacity variants influence the temporal mRNA expression of inflammatory mediators within the middle ear. ..