Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hsd17b3
Description: hydroxysteroid (17-beta) dehydrogenase 3
Alias: testosterone 17-beta-dehydrogenase 3, 17-beta-HSD 3, 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3, 17beta-HSD, estradiol 17 beta-dehydrogenase 3, testicular 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
- El Maraghy S, Nassar N. Modulatory effects of lipoic acid and selenium against cadmium-induced biochemical alterations in testicular steroidogenesis. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2011;25:15-25 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study demonstrated the beneficial influences of lipoic acid and selenium in reducing harmful effects of Cd(2+) in rats' testes. ..
- O Shaughnessy P, Morris I, Baker P. Leydig cell re-generation and expression of cell signaling molecules in the germ cell-free testis. Reproduction. 2008;135:851-8 pubmed publisher..17a1 (Cyp17a1), 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (Hsd3b1), 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3 (Hsd17b3) and the LH receptor...
- Murugesan P, Muthusamy T, Balasubramanian K, Arunakaran J. Polychlorinated biphenyl (Aroclor 1254) inhibits testosterone biosynthesis and antioxidant enzymes in cultured rat Leydig cells. Reprod Toxicol. 2008;25:447-54 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that PCBs can act directly on Leydig cells to inhibit testosterone biosynthesis by reducing steroidogenic enzymes, enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidants. ..
- Shi Z, Zhang H, Liu Y, Xu M, Dai J. Alterations in gene expression and testosterone synthesis in the testes of male rats exposed to perfluorododecanoic acid. Toxicol Sci. 2007;98:206-15 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that PFDoA affects the reproduction function of male rats via alterations in steroidogenesis genes, testosterone levels, and testes ultrastructure. ..
- Latif S, Shen M, Ge R, Sottas C, Hardy M, Morris D. Role of 11?-OH-C(19) and C(21) steroids in the coupling of 11?-HSD1 and 17?-HSD3 in regulation of testosterone biosynthesis in rat Leydig cells. Steroids. 2011;76:682-9 pubmed publisher..3-5-fold producing 4-210 pmol/25,000 cells/30 min of 11-dehydro-corticosterone. We conclude that 11?-HSD1 is enzymatically coupled to 17?-HSD3, utilizing NADPH and NADP in intermeshed regeneration systems...
- Kimoto T, Ishii H, Higo S, Hojo Y, Kawato S. Semicomprehensive analysis of the postnatal age-related changes in the mRNA expression of sex steroidogenic enzymes and sex steroid receptors in the male rat hippocampus. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5795-806 pubmed publisher..these enzymes/receptors at PD1 were Srd5a1 > Star > Ar ? Hsd17b4 ? Hsd17b1 ? Hsd17b7 ? Esr1 ? Srd5a2 > Hsd17b3 > Esr2 > Cyp11a1 > Cyp17a1 > Cyp19a1 ? Hsd17b2 > 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase I...
- MacKenzie S, Dewar D, Stewart W, Fraser R, Connell J, Davies E. The transcription of steroidogenic genes in the human cerebellum and hippocampus: a comparative survey of normal and Alzheimer's tissue. J Endocrinol. 2008;196:123-30 pubmed publisher..There is no evidence of a link between AD and altered steroid biosynthesis within human hippocampus and cerebellum. ..
- Chandra A, Chatterjee A, Ghosh R, Sarkar M, Chaube S. Chromium induced testicular impairment in relation to adrenocortical activities in adult albino rats. Reprod Toxicol. 2007;24:388-96 pubmed..Adrecortical hyperactivity accompanied by testicular oxidative stress might have a crucial role for Cr induced male reproductive impairment. ..
- Pandya C, Pillai P, Gupta S. Lead and cadmium co-exposure mediated toxic insults on hepatic steroid metabolism and antioxidant system of adult male rats. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2010;134:307-17 pubmed publisher..This seems that the toxic effect of these metals is antagonized by co-exposure due to possible competition amongst Pb and Cd for hepatic accumulation. ..
- Zhao B, Chu Y, Hardy D, Li X, Ge R. Inhibition of 3beta- and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activities in rat Leydig cells by perfluorooctane acid. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;118:13-7 pubmed publisher..1+/-0.9 microM and 17beta-HSD3 with an IC(50) of 194.8+/-1.0 microM. The inhibitions of 3beta-HSD and 17beta-HSD3 by PFOA were competitive for the substrates. In conclusion, PFOA inhibits 3beta-HSD and 17beta-HSD3 in rat Leydig cells. ..
- Jana K, Jana S, Samanta P. Effects of chronic exposure to sodium arsenite on hypothalamo-pituitary-testicular activities in adult rats: possible an estrogenic mode of action. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2006;4:9 pubmed..Estradiol treatment has been associated with similar effects on pituitary testicular axis supporting the hypothesis that arsenite might somehow act through an estrogenic mode of action. ..
- Parthasarathy C, Balasubramanian K. Effects of corticosterone deficiency and its replacement on Leydig cell steroidogenesis. J Cell Biochem. 2008;104:1671-83 pubmed publisher..Our results show that metyrapone-induced corticosterone deficiency impairs Leydig cell testosterone production by decreasing the activities of steroidogenic enzymes and their mRNA expression and glucose oxidation. ..
- Pogrmic Majkic K, Fa S, Dakic V, Kaisarevic S, Kovacevic R. Upregulation of peripubertal rat Leydig cell steroidogenesis following 24 h in vitro and in vivo exposure to atrazine. Toxicol Sci. 2010;118:52-60 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that atrazine has a transient stimulatory action on cAMP signaling pathway in Leydig cells, leading to facilitated androgenesis. ..
- Fisseha S, Towns R, Harada M, Peegel H, Menon K. Inhibitory effect of valproic acid on ovarian androgen biosynthesis in rat theca-interstitial cells. Endocrine. 2010;37:187-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, VPA exerts an inhibitory effect on hCG-stimulated androgen synthesis in rat T-I cells. ..
- Swathy S, Panicker S, Indira M. Effect of exogenous selenium on the testicular toxicity induced by ethanol in rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006;50:215-24 pubmed..But on coadministration of selenium along with alcohol all the biochemical parameters were altered to near normal levels indicating a protective effect of selenium. These results were reinforced by the histopathological studies. ..
- Gonzalez A, Martinez Campa C, Mediavilla M, Alonso Gonzalez C, Alvarez García V, Sánchez Barceló E, et al. Inhibitory effects of melatonin on sulfatase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity and expression in glioma cells. Oncol Rep. 2010;23:1173-8 pubmed..By analogy to the implications of these enzymes in other forms of estrogen-sensitive tumors, it is conceivable that their modulation by melatonin may play a role in the growth of glioblastomas. ..
- Viswanath G, Chatterjee S, Dabral S, Nanguneri S, Divya G, Roy P. Anti-androgenic endocrine disrupting activities of chlorpyrifos and piperophos. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;120:22-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrate that commonly used pesticides like chlorpyrifos and piperophos pose serious threat to male reproductive system by interfering at various levels of androgen biosynthesis. ..
- Jana K, Samanta P, Manna I, Ghosh P, Singh N, Khetan R, et al. Protective effect of sodium selenite and zinc sulfate on intensive swimming-induced testicular gamatogenic and steroidogenic disorders in mature male rats. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008;33:903-14 pubmed publisher..It can be concluded that intensive-swimming-induced oxidative stress causes dysfunctions in the male reproductive system, which can be protected by the coadministration of sodium selenite and zinc sulfate. ..
- Geissler W, Davis D, Wu L, Bradshaw K, Patel S, Mendonca B, et al. Male pseudohermaphroditism caused by mutations of testicular 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3. Nat Genet. 1994;7:34-9 pubmed..Four substitution and two splice junction mutations were identified in the 17 beta HSD3 genes of five unrelated male pseudohermaphrodites. The substitution mutations severely compromised the activity of the 17 beta-HSD type 3 isozyme. ..
- Vaithinathan S, Saradha B, Mathur P. Transient inhibitory effect of methoxychlor on testicular steroidogenesis in rat: an in vivo study. Arch Toxicol. 2008;82:833-9 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates transient effect of methoxychlor at LOAEL on testicular steroidogenesis and the possible role of hydrogen peroxide in mediating these effects. ..
- Engeli R, Rhouma B, Sager C, Tsachaki M, Birk J, Fakhfakh F, et al. Biochemical analyses and molecular modeling explain the functional loss of 17Î²-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3 mutant G133R in three Tunisian patients with 46, XY Disorders of Sex Development. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;155:147-54 pubmed publisherMutations in the HSD17B3 gene resulting in 17Î²-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3 (17Î²-HSD3) deficiency cause 46, XY Disorders of Sex Development (46, XY DSD)...
- Hurtado de Catalfo G, de Alaniz M, Marra C. Influence of commercial dietary oils on lipid composition and testosterone production in interstitial cells isolated from rat testis. Lipids. 2009;44:345-57 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dietary oils qualitatively and quantitatively modified the lipid composition of interstitial cells, producing either a direct or indirect regulatory effect on testicular steroidogenic function. ..
- Rajeswary S, Kumaran B, Ilangovan R, Yuvaraj S, Sridhar M, Venkataraman P, et al. Modulation of antioxidant defense system by the environmental fungicide carbendazim in Leydig cells of rats. Reprod Toxicol. 2007;24:371-80 pubmed..Thus, the present study suggests that chronic low dose treatment of MBC is capable of inducing reproductive toxicity through increased oxidative stress, but is transient and reversible upon withdrawal of treatment. ..
- Murugesan P, Muthusamy T, Balasubramanian K, Arunakaran J. Effects of vitamins C and E on steroidogenic enzymes mRNA expression in polychlorinated biphenyl (Aroclor 1254) exposed adult rat Leydig cells. Toxicology. 2007;232:170-82 pubmed..These observations suggest that vitamins C and E have ameliorative role against PCBs-induced testicular Leydig cells dysfunction. ..
- Song L, Tang X, Kong Y, Ma H, Zou S. The expression of serum steroid sex hormones and steroidogenic enzymes following intraperitoneal administration of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in male rats. Steroids. 2010;75:213-8 pubmed publisher..In total, the results of the present study indicate that DHEA at high pharmacological doses may affect steroid through an effect on steroidogenic enzymes. ..
- Kumar V, Balomajumder C, Roy P. Disruption of LH-induced testosterone biosynthesis in testicular Leydig cells by triclosan: probable mechanism of action. Toxicology. 2008;250:124-31 pubmed publisher..The study further confirmed the anti-androgenic activity of TCS in Leydig cells with highest effective concentration at 1 microM. ..
- Romero M, Vila R, Fernandez Lopez J, Esteve M, Alemany M. Influence of oleoyl-estrone treatment on circulating testosterone. Role of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase isoenzymes. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009;60:181-90 pubmed..In consequence, we can assume that OE effects on androgens, and the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis are limited to testicles. ..
- Wu X, Wang W, Wang R, Xie L, Fang Z, Chen G. [Ginkgo biloba extract enhances testosterone synthesis of Leydig cells in type 2 diabetic rats]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2008;14:371-6 pubmed..EGB enhances testosterone synthesis and secretion of Leydig cells by reducing the impairment of the testis in type 2 diabetic rats. ..
- Hu G, Zhou H, Li X, Chen B, Xiao Y, Lian Q, et al. The (+)- and (-)-gossypols potently inhibit both 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 3 in human and rat testes. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;115:14-9 pubmed publisher..As the reverse was true for the human enzymes, gossypol might be useful for treating metastatic prostate cancer. ..
- Kumar V, Chakraborty A, Viswanath G, Roy P. Androgenic endocrine disruptors in wastewater treatment plant effluents in India: their influence on reproductive processes and systemic toxicity in male rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008;226:60-73 pubmed..Our data suggest that despite rigorous treatment, the final treated effluent from WWTP still has enough androgenic and toxic compounds to affect general health. ..
- McVey M, Cooke G, Curran I, Chan H, Kubow S, Lok E, et al. Effects of dietary fats and proteins on rat testicular steroidogenic enzymes and serum testosterone levels. Food Chem Toxicol. 2008;46:259-69 pubmed
- Tsai Morris C, Khanum A, Tang P, Dufau M. The rat 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type III: molecular cloning and gonadotropin regulation. Endocrinology. 1999;140:3534-42 pubmed..Cloning of the 17betaHSD type III enzyme from rat Leydig cells will facilitate further investigation of the molecular regulation of its activity in the testis. ..