Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Hmox1
Description: heme oxygenase 1
Alias: HEOXG, Heox, Hmox, Ho-1, Ho1, hsp32, heme oxygenase 1, heme oxygenase (decycling) 1, heme oxygenase (decyclizing) 1
- Kim J, Yang J, Jung M, Hwa J, Kang K, Kang K, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 protects rat kidney from ureteral obstruction via an antiapoptotic pathway. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:1373-81 pubmed..This study demonstrates that upregulation of HO-1 provides protection against renal injury that follows UUO. This effect is dependent on modulation of the antiapoptotic pathway by HO-1 expression...
- Peng T, Jan W, Tsai P, Huang C. Heme oxygenase-1 mediates the protective effects of ischemic preconditioning on mitigating lung injury induced by lower limb ischemia-reperfusion in rats. J Surg Res. 2011;167:e245-53 pubmed publisher..In addition, the protective effects of IP were counteracted by SnPP. The protective effects of IP on mitigating acute lung injury induced by lower limb I/R are mediated by HO-1. ..
- Bindu S, Pal C, Dey S, Goyal M, Alam A, Iqbal M, et al. Translocation of heme oxygenase-1 to mitochondria is a novel cytoprotective mechanism against non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced mitochondrial oxidative stress, apoptosis, and gastric mucosal injury. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:39387-402 pubmed publisher..Thus, induction and mitochondrial localization of HO-1 are a novel cytoprotective mechanism against MOS-mediated apoptotic tissue injury. ..
- Lee T, Chang C, Zhu Y, Shyy J. Simvastatin induces heme oxygenase-1: a novel mechanism of vessel protection. Circulation. 2004;110:1296-302 pubmed..Simvastatin activates HO-1 in VSMCs in vitro and in vivo. The antiinflammatory and antiproliferative effects of simvastatin occur largely through the induced HO-1. ..
- Giannini L, Vannacci A, Fabrizi F, Uliva C, Bani D, Masini E, et al. Protection from cardiac injury by induction of heme oxygenase-1 and nitric oxide synthase in a focal ischaemia-reperfusion model. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2005;51:393-401 pubmed
- Lai I, Chang K, Tsai H, Chen C. Pharmacological preconditioning with simvastatin protects liver from ischemia-reperfusion injury by heme oxygenase-1 induction. Transplantation. 2008;85:732-8 pubmed publisher..2+/-243.0 U/L) and apoptosis index (75.6+/-6). The heme oxygenase activity in treated rats correlated with these results. The induction of HO-1 by simvastatin preconditioning played a protective role against hepatic I/R injury. ..
- Goodman A, Olszanecki R, Yang L, Quan S, Li M, Omura S, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 protects against radiocontrast-induced acute kidney injury by regulating anti-apoptotic proteins. Kidney Int. 2007;72:945-53 pubmed..Our study suggests that increased levels of heme oxygenase-1 are protective against acute kidney injury due to radiocontrast exposure. ..
- Chen S, Ding Y, Tao W, Zhang W, Liang T, Liu C. Naringenin inhibits TNF-? induced VSMC proliferation and migration via induction of HO-1. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:3025-31 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that naringenin may serve as a novel drug in the treatment of these pathologies by inducing HO-1 expression/activity and subsequently decreasing VSMC proliferation and migration. ..
- Hwa J, Jin Y, Lee Y, Ko Y, Kim Y, Shi L, et al. 2-methoxycinnamaldehyde from Cinnamomum cassia reduces rat myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury in vivo due to HO-1 induction. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012;139:605-15 pubmed publisher..Cinnamomum cassia Blume has been used as a traditional Chinese herbal medicine for alleviation of fever, inflammation, chronic bronchitis, and to improve blood circulation...
- Lee Y, Cheng P, Chim L, Kung C, Ka S, Chung M, et al. Baicalein, an active component of Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi, improves cardiac contractile function in endotoxaemic rats via induction of heme oxygenase-1 and suppression of inflammatory responses. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;135:179-85 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the protective effect of baicalein on myocardial dysfunction caused by endotoxaemia in rats and to explore the possible mechanisms...
- Juhasz B, Varga B, Czompa A, Bak I, Lekli I, Gesztelyi R, et al. Postischemic cardiac recovery in heme oxygenase-1 transgenic ischemic/reperfused mouse myocardium. J Cell Mol Med. 2011;15:1973-82 pubmed publisher..Immunohistochemical staining of HO-1 was intensified in HO-1 Tg compared to the NTg myocardium. Thus, the HO-1 Tg mouse model suggests a valuable therapeutic approach in the treatment of ischemic myocardium. ..
- Shibahara S, Muller R, Taguchi H, Yoshida T. Cloning and expression of cDNA for rat heme oxygenase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1985;82:7865-9 pubmed..RNA blot analysis showed that both CoCl2 and hemin increased the amount of hybridizable mRNA, suggesting that these substances may act at the transcriptional level to increase the amount of heme oxygenase. ..
- Suzuki M, Iso O N, Takeshita S, Tsukamoto K, Mori I, Sato T, et al. Facilitated angiogenesis induced by heme oxygenase-1 gene transfer in a rat model of hindlimb ischemia. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;302:138-43 pubmed..Thus, HO-1 gene transfer improves the blood flow in ischemic hindlimb, at least in part, via angiogenesis facilitated by the induction of this molecule. ..
- Zhang M, Zhang B, Chen L, An W. Overexpression of heme oxygenase-1 protects smooth muscle cells against oxidative injury and inhibits cell proliferation. Cell Res. 2002;12:123-32 pubmed
- Datta P, Koukouritaki S, Hopp K, Lianos E. Heme oxygenase-1 induction attenuates inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and proteinuria in glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1999;10:2540-50 pubmed..The beneficial effect of hemin treatment on proteinuria could be linked to downregulation of iNOS. ..
- Araujo J, Meng L, Tward A, Hancock W, Zhai Y, Lee A, et al. Systemic rather than local heme oxygenase-1 overexpression improves cardiac allograft outcomes in a new transgenic mouse. J Immunol. 2003;171:1572-80 pubmed..This Tg mouse provides a valuable tool to study mechanisms by which HO-1 exerts beneficial effects in organ transplantation. ..
- Masini E, Vannacci A, Marzocca C, Pierpaoli S, Giannini L, Fantappie O, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 and the ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat heart. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2003;228:546-9 pubmed..These effects were prevented by the HO-1 inhibitor ZnPP-IX. The present experiments show that the concerted actions of CO, iron, and biliverdin/bilirubin modulate the FIR-induced myocardial injury. ..
- Goto J, Ishikawa K, Kawamura K, Watanabe Y, Matumoto H, Sugawara D, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 reduces murine monocrotaline-induced pulmonary inflammatory responses and resultant right ventricular overload. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2002;4:563-8 pubmed..Interestingly, inhibition of HO activity promoted inflammatory changes in the lung and the resultant RV hypertrophy. HO-1 may play defensive roles against murine MT-induced pulmonary inflammation and the resultant RV overload. ..
- Yachie A, Niida Y, Wada T, Igarashi N, Kaneda H, Toma T, et al. Oxidative stress causes enhanced endothelial cell injury in human heme oxygenase-1 deficiency. J Clin Invest. 1999;103:129-35 pubmed..This study presents not only the first human case of HO-1 deficiency but may also provide clues to the key roles played by this important enzyme in vivo. ..
- Yoshida T, Sato M. Posttranslational and direct integration of heme oxygenase into microsomes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989;163:1086-92 pubmed..Heme oxygenase synthesized in a cell-free system or purified from microsomes after detergent-solubilization was integrated into microsomal membranes posttranslationally and directly, like cytochrome b5. ..
- Sato T, Takeno M, Honma K, Yamauchi H, Saito Y, Sasaki T, et al. Heme oxygenase-1, a potential biomarker of chronic silicosis, attenuates silica-induced lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:906-14 pubmed..Pulmonary HO-1 expression is increased in silicosis. HO-1 suppresses reactive oxygen species activity, and subsequent pathologic changes, thereby attenuating disease progression. ..
- Bijjem K, Padi S, Lal Sharma P. Pharmacological activation of heme oxygenase (HO)-1/carbon monoxide pathway prevents the development of peripheral neuropathic pain in Wistar rats. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2013;386:79-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, it may be concluded that chronic pharmacological activation of HO-1/CO pathway may prevent the development of behavioral symptoms of neuropathic pain, through an activation of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant mechanisms. ..
- Lu Y, Gu L, Jiang J, Mou H. Effect of hypertonic versus isotonic saline resuscitation on heme oxygenase-1 expression in visceral organs following hemorrhagic shock in rats. Biomed Environ Sci. 2013;26:684-8 pubmed publisher..In this study, small volume resuscitation with HTS can efficiently up-regulate the expression level of HO-1 in small intestinal mucosa and liver, which may be one of the mechanisms alleviating organ damage. ..
- Kageyama S, Hata K, Tanaka H, Hirao H, Kubota T, Okamura Y, et al. Intestinal ischemic preconditioning ameliorates hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats: role of heme oxygenase 1 in the second window of protection. Liver Transpl. 2015;21:112-22 pubmed publisher..the impact of intestinal RIPC on hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury (IRI) with a special interest in heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) induction in the second window of protection (SWOP)...
- Guo S, Duan Z, Li Q, Sun X. Effect of heme oxygenase-1 on renal function in rats with liver cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2011;17:322-8 pubmed publisher..05). Low HO-1 expression level in kidney is an important factor for experimental HRS. ..
- Song F, Zeng Z, Huang H, Zhang Y. [Effects of ischemic postconditioning on the expression of heme oxygenase-1 in the liver graft with ischemia and reperfusion injury in rats]. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2009;47:1343-6 pubmed..Ischemic postconditioning attenuates liver graft injury induced by I/R in rats. The mechanism might be related with the induction of HO-1 and enhancement of liver graft antioxidation. ..
- Yu J, Zhou F, Yao S, Tang Z, Wang M, Chen H. Effect of heme oxygenase-1 on the kidney during septic shock in rats. Transl Res. 2009;153:283-7 pubmed publisher..There were no significant differences of HO-2mRNA and HO-2 protein among these 4 groups (both P > 0.05). It is concluded that upregulation of the HO-1 protein might contribute to the protection of kidney during septic shock in rats...
- Muñoz A, Rey P, Parga J, Guerra M, Labandeira Garcia J. Glial overexpression of heme oxygenase-1: a histochemical marker for early stages of striatal damage. J Chem Neuroanat. 2005;29:113-26 pubmed..The results indicate that determination of glial HO-1-ir is a useful histochemical marker for early stages of striatal damage. ..
- Abd El Twab S, Hozayen W, Hussein O, Mahmoud A. 18?-Glycyrrhetinic acid protects against methotrexate-induced kidney injury by up-regulating the Nrf2/ARE/HO-1 pathway and endogenous antioxidants. Ren Fail. 2016;38:1516-1527 pubmed..These findings make 18?-GA candidate as a potent agent in preventing MTX-induced kidney injury. ..
- Zhang Y, Jia J, Ding Y, Ma Y, Shang P, Liu T, et al. Alpha-boswellic acid protects against ethanol-induced gastric injury in rats: involvement of nuclear factor erythroid-2-related factor 2/heme oxygenase-1 pathway. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2016;68:514-22 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that ?-BA decreases oxidative stress and that the Nrf2/HO-1 pathway might play a role in the gastroprotective action of ?-BA in ethanol-induced gastric injury in rats. ..
- Yao C, Wei G, Lu X, Yang W, Tortella F, Dave J. Selective brain cooling in rats ameliorates intracerebral hemorrhage and edema caused by penetrating brain injury: possible involvement of heme oxygenase-1 expression. J Neurotrauma. 2011;28:1237-45 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest a potential value of HO-1 as a diagnostic and/or therapeutic biomarker in hemorrhagic brain injury. ..
- Xia C, Jiang R. [Expressions of HO-1 and HO-2 in the vaginal smooth muscle of ovariectomized female rats]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2009;15:110-4 pubmed..Estrogen may play a physiological role in the vaginal smooth muscle via HO/CO. ..
- Sun B, An W, Xia Z, Zheng C, Li W, Yang M, et al. Zinc protoporphyrin aggravates cerebral ischemic injury following experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;34:241-6 pubmed..The activation of HO/CO pathway is an intrinsic protective mechanism against cerebral ischemic injury after SAH. ..
- Quincozes Santos A, Bobermin L, Souza D, Bellaver B, Goncalves C, Souza D. Guanosine protects C6 astroglial cells against azide-induced oxidative damage: a putative role of heme oxygenase 1. J Neurochem. 2014;130:61-74 pubmed publisher..Our group recently showed that guanosine presents antioxidant properties in C6 astroglial cells. The heme oxygenase 1 signaling pathway is associated with protection against oxidative stress...
- Yi N, Chen S, Ma A, Chen P, Yao B, Liang T, et al. Tunicamycin inhibits PDGF-BB-induced proliferation and migration of vascular smooth muscle cells through induction of HO-1. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2012;295:1462-72 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Tm-induced ER stress provides protection against the abnormal VSMC activation by PDGF-BB, which may be mediated by the induction of HO-1 and blockade of cell cycle reentry. ..
- Li Q, Dai A. Hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha correlates the expression of heme oxygenase 1 gene in pulmonary arteries of rat with hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2004;36:133-40 pubmed..Hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha correlated the expression of heme oxygenase 1 gene in pulmonary arteries of rat with hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension.
- Li L, Tang J, Sun Y, Wu J, Yu P, Wang G. Upregulation of HO-1 Attenuates LPS-Stimulated Proinflammatory Responses Through Downregulation of p38 Signaling Pathways in Rat Ovary. Inflammation. 2015;38:1085-92 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that HO-1 is an anti-inflammatory factor in LPS-stimulated ovary, which regulates the inflammatory response through downregulation of p38 signaling pathways in rat ovary. ..
- Jain K, Suryakumar G, Prasad R, Ganju L. Upregulation of cytoprotective defense mechanisms and hypoxia-responsive proteins imparts tolerance to acute hypobaric hypoxia. High Alt Med Biol. 2013;14:65-77 pubmed publisher..The differential expression of these hypoxia-responsive molecules may thus act as potential biochemical markers for screening and identifying individuals susceptible to environmental stress. ..
- Kotsch K, Martins P, Klemz R, Janssen U, Gerstmayer B, Dernier A, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 ameliorates ischemia/reperfusion injury by targeting dendritic cell maturation and migration. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2007;9:2049-63 pubmed..Donor preconditioning by inducing heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) has been proven to exert cytoprotective and antiinflammatory effects on the graft, thus resulting in ..
- Zhang Y, Wang D, Zhu T, Li C. [Genistein attenuates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in rats by up-regulating heme oxygenase-1 expression]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2012;32:151-4 pubmed..Genistein attentuates pulmonary arterial hypertension in MCT-treated rats possibly by up-regulation of HO-1 in the lung tissues. ..
- Ueyama T, Kawabe T, Hano T, Tsuruo Y, Ueda K, Ichinose M, et al. Upregulation of heme oxygenase-1 in an animal model of Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. Circ J. 2009;73:1141-6 pubmed..Blocking of alpha- and beta-adrenoceptors attenuated IMO-induced upregulation of HO-1 mRNA levels in the heart. Emotional stress and a surge of catecholamine upregulate HO-1 in the cardiac and aortic macrophages. ..
- Hsieh C, Jeng S, Hsieh M, Chen Y, Rau C, Lu T, et al. Statin-induced heme oxygenase-1 increases NF-kappaB activation and oxygen radical production in cultured neuronal cells exposed to lipopolysaccharide. Toxicol Sci. 2008;102:150-9 pubmed..This study revealed that simvastatin-induced HO-1 led to increased NF-kappaB activation and superoxides production in the neuronal cells when exposed to LPS, and iron production may play a role in such a response. ..
- Yamaji K, Ochiai Y, Ohnishi K, Yawata A, Chikuma T, Hojo H. Up-regulation of hepatic heme oxygenase-1 expression by locally induced interleukin-6 in rats administered carbon tetrachloride intraperitoneally. Toxicol Lett. 2008;179:124-9 pubmed publisher..p. CCl4. The up-regulation of hepatic HO-1 expression may reduce the tissue injury to livers caused by CCl4. ..
- Song Y, Zong Z, Liu H, Mukasa R, Pei D, Mou J, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 regulates the JNK signaling pathway through the MLK3-MKK7-JNK3 signaling module in brain ischemia injury. Brain Res. 2012;1429:1-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that HO-1 could protect neurons against brain ischemic injury by downregulating the JNK signaling pathway through the MLK3-MKK7-JNK3 signaling module. ..
- Kim S, Park J, Lee S. Protective effect of heme oxygenase-1 induction against hepatic injury in alcoholic steatotic liver exposed to cold ischemia/reperfusion. Life Sci. 2012;90:169-76 pubmed publisher..Prior induction of HO-1 expression may provide a new strategy to protect livers against hepatic I/R injury or to increase the donor transplant pool through modulation of marginal alcoholic steatotic livers. ..
- Tian Y, Liu F, Tong F, Shi H, Yao D. [Pathologic changes and expression of Heme oxygenase-1 in paraquat-induced renal injury]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2009;27:468-71 pubmed..05). The mechanism of paraquat induced-renal injury is multiple. The higher expression of HO-1 and HO-1 mRNA were involved in the procedures of paraquat-induced renal injury. ..
- Yang C, Hsieh H, Lin C, Shih R, Chi P, Cheng S, et al. Multiple factors from bradykinin-challenged astrocytes contribute to the neuronal apoptosis: involvement of astroglial ROS, MMP-9, and HO-1/CO system. Mol Neurobiol. 2013;47:1020-33 pubmed publisher..Together, we demonstrate that BK-induced several neurotoxic factors, including ROS, MMP-9, and CO released from astrocytes, may induce neuronal death through a caspase-3-dependent apoptotic pathway. ..
- Cudmore M, Ahmad S, Al Ani B, Fujisawa T, Coxall H, Chudasama K, et al. Negative regulation of soluble Flt-1 and soluble endoglin release by heme oxygenase-1. Circulation. 2007;115:1789-97 pubmed..The present study demonstrates that the HO-1/CO pathway inhibits sFlt-1 and sEng release, providing compelling evidence for a protective role of HO-1 in pregnancy, and identifies HO-1 as a novel target for the treatment of preeclampsia. ..