Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gys2
Description: glycogen synthase 2
Alias: GLYSN, glycogen [starch] synthase, liver, Glycogen synthase 2 (liver)
- Orho M, Bosshard N, Buist N, Gitzelmann R, Aynsley Green A, Blümel P, et al. Mutations in the liver glycogen synthase gene in children with hypoglycemia due to glycogen storage disease type 0. J Clin Invest. 1998;102:507-15 pubmed..To investigate whether mutations in the liver GS gene (GYS2) on chromosome 12p12...
- Ros S, Zafra D, Valles Ortega J, Garcia Rocha M, Forrow S, Dominguez J, et al. Hepatic overexpression of a constitutively active form of liver glycogen synthase improves glucose homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:37170-7 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these findings, we propose that the activation of liver glycogen synthase may provide a potential strategy for improvement of glucose tolerance in the postprandial state. ..
- Rothermel J, Perillo N, Marks J, Botelho L. Effects of the specific cAMP antagonist, (Rp)-adenosine cyclic 3',5'-phosphorothioate, on the cAMP-dependent protein kinase-induced activity of hepatic glycogen phosphorylase and glycogen synthase. J Biol Chem. 1984;259:15294-300 pubmed..Thus, the diastereomers, (Sp)- and (Rp)-cAMPS, influence glycogen metabolism and the glycogenolytic enzymes through their modulation of cAMP-dependent protein kinase levels. ..
- Westphal S, Nuttall F. Comparative characterization of human and rat liver glycogen synthase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1992;292:479-86 pubmed..Since glycogen synthase is an important enzyme in liver glycogen synthesis, the characterization of this enzyme in the human will help provide insight regarding human liver glycogen synthesis. ..
- Carabaza A, Ciudad C, Baqué S, Guinovart J. Glucose has to be phosphorylated to activate glycogen synthase, but not to inactivate glycogen phosphorylase in hepatocytes. FEBS Lett. 1992;296:211-4 pubmed
- Kadotani A, Fujimura M, Nakamura T, Ohyama S, Harada N, Maruki H, et al. Metabolic impact of overexpression of liver glycogen synthase with serine-to-alanine substitutions in rat primary hepatocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;466:283-9 pubmedTo investigate the effect of elevation of liver glycogen synthase (GYS2) activity on glucose and glycogen metabolism, we performed adenoviral overexpression of the mutant GYS2 with six serine-to-alanine substitutions in rat primary ..
- Katz J, Golden S, Wals P. Glycogen synthesis by rat hepatocytes. Biochem J. 1979;180:389-402 pubmed..During subsequent glycogen deposition there was no loss of activity from glycogen in spite of high amounts of assayable active phosphorylase. ..
- Ros S, Garcia Rocha M, Dominguez J, Ferrer J, Guinovart J. Control of liver glycogen synthase activity and intracellular distribution by phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6370-8 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that LGS translocation is strictly dependent on glycogen synthesis. ..