Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gstm5
Description: glutathione S-transferase, mu 5
Alias: glutathione S-transferase Mu 5, GST class-mu 5
- Rowe J, Patskovsky Y, Patskovska L, Novikova E, Listowsky I. Rationale for reclassification of a distinctive subdivision of mammalian class Mu glutathione S-transferases that are primarily expressed in testis. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:9593-601 pubmed..The identification of this unique mammalian GST subclass could advance strategies for interspecies comparisons of GSTs and provides a rodent model for studies on functions and regulatory mechanisms for human GSTs. ..
- Nakamura N, Mori C, Eddy E. Molecular complex of three testis-specific isozymes associated with the mouse sperm fibrous sheath: hexokinase 1, phosphofructokinase M, and glutathione S-transferase mu class 5. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:504-15 pubmed publisher..In subsequent yeast two-hybrid screens, the TSR was found to interact with glutathione S-transferase mu class 5 (GSTM5), identified previously as a spermatogenic cell-specific component of the FS...
- Patskovsky Y, Patskovska L, Listowsky I. An asparagine-phenylalanine substitution accounts for catalytic differences between hGSTM3-3 and other human class mu glutathione S-transferases. Biochemistry. 1999;38:16187-94 pubmed..The presence of a polar Asn212 in place of a Phe residue found in the cognate position of other mu class glutathione S-transferases, therefore, has a marked influence on catalysis by hGSTM3-3. ..
- Strange R, Jones P, Fryer A. Glutathione S-transferase: genetics and role in toxicology. Toxicol Lett. 2000;112-113:357-63 pubmed..Thus, GST genotypes alone and in combination have been linked with clinical outcome. ..
- Krisfalusi M, Miki K, Magyar P, O Brien D. Multiple glycolytic enzymes are tightly bound to the fibrous sheath of mouse spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:270-8 pubmed..These data support a role for the fibrous sheath as a scaffold for anchoring multiple glycolytic enzymes along the length of the flagellum to provide a localized source of ATP that is essential for sperm motility. ..
- Rao A, Shaha C. Multiple glutathione S-transferase isoforms are present on male germ cell plasma membrane. FEBS Lett. 2001;507:174-80 pubmed..Isoform composition of the germ cell plasma membrane and the cytosolic pool differ, GSTM5 and GSTPi being absent on the plasma membranes...
- Yang G, Ross D, Kuang W, Brown P, Weigel R. Combining SSH and cDNA microarrays for rapid identification of differentially expressed genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:1517-23 pubmed..This approach allowed the identification of differentially expressed genes without the need to obtain previously cloned cDNAs. ..
- Maes O, Schipper H, Chong G, Chertkow H, Wang E. A GSTM3 polymorphism associated with an etiopathogenetic mechanism in Alzheimer disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2010;31:34-45 pubmed publisher..Reduced antioxidant defense and genome maintenance associated with the GSTM3 polymorphism suggest a common hub of regulatory networks which, when impaired, may lead to AD. ..
- Ross V, Board P. Molecular cloning and heterologous expression of an alternatively spliced human Mu class glutathione S-transferase transcript. Biochem J. 1993;294 ( Pt 2):373-80 pubmed..In general, the recombinant enzyme has relatively low activity when compared with all the previously described human Mu class GST isoenzymes. ..