Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Grik1
Description: glutamate ionotropic receptor kainate type subunit 1
Alias: GluK1, GluR5, glutamate receptor ionotropic, kainate 1, glutamate receptor 5
- Schubert M, Albrecht D. Activation of kainate GLU(K5) transmission rescues kindling-induced impairment of LTP in the rat lateral amygdala. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33:2524-35 pubmed..Therefore, GLU(K5) kainate receptor subunits are involved in kindling-induced plasticity changes in the amygdala. ..
- Bettler B, Boulter J, Hermans Borgmeyer I, O Shea Greenfield A, Deneris E, Moll C, et al. Cloning of a novel glutamate receptor subunit, GluR5: expression in the nervous system during development. Neuron. 1990;5:583-95 pubmedWe have isolated cDNAs encoding a glutamate receptor subunit, designated GluR5, displaying 40%-41% amino acid identity with the kainate/AMPA receptor subunits GluR1, GluR2, GluR3, and GluR4...
- Paternain A, Herrera M, Nieto M, Lerma J. GluR5 and GluR6 kainate receptor subunits coexist in hippocampal neurons and coassemble to form functional receptors. J Neurosci. 2000;20:196-205 pubmed..nonradioactive double in situ hybridization to study the expression of glutamic acid decarboxylase and GluR6 or GluR5 subunits in hippocampal slices...
- Lu C, Willcockson H, Phend K, Lucifora S, Darstein M, Valtschanoff J, et al. Ionotropic glutamate receptors are expressed in GABAergic terminals in the rat superficial dorsal horn. J Comp Neurol. 2005;486:169-78 pubmed..subunits of the AMPA receptor; and 20-35% are immunopositive using antibodies for the kainate receptor subunits GluR5, GluR6/7, KA1, or KA2...
- Sander T, Hildmann T, Kretz R, Furst R, Sailer U, Bauer G, et al. Allelic association of juvenile absence epilepsy with a GluR5 kainate receptor gene (GRIK1) polymorphism. Am J Med Genet. 1997;74:416-21 pubmed..A tetranucleotide repeat polymorphism in the non-coding region of the kainate-selective GluR5 receptor gene (GRIK1) on chromosome 21q22.1 provides the tool to investigate this candidate gene...
- Bonfardin V, Theodosis D, Konnerth A, Oliet S. Kainate receptor-induced retrograde inhibition of glutamatergic transmission in vasopressin neurons. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1301-10 pubmed publisher..We here report that applications of agonists of GluK1-containing KARs in the rat supraoptic nucleus has an opposite action on glutamatergic transmission according to ..
- Gryder D, Rogawski M. Selective antagonism of GluR5 kainate-receptor-mediated synaptic currents by topiramate in rat basolateral amygdala neurons. J Neurosci. 2003;23:7069-74 pubmed..inhibited pharmacologically isolated excitatory synaptic currents mediated by kainate receptors containing the GluR5 subunit. Topiramate also partially depressed predominantly AMPA-receptor-mediated EPSCs, but with lower efficacy...
- Huang Y, Dykes Hoberg M, Tanaka K, Rothstein J, Bergles D. Climbing fiber activation of EAAT4 transporters and kainate receptors in cerebellar Purkinje cells. J Neurosci. 2004;24:103-11 pubmed..In GluR5 knock-out mice, this current was dramatically reduced, indicating that CF excitation of PCs involves two distinct ..
- Jaskolski F, Coussen F, Nagarajan N, Normand E, Rosenmund C, Mulle C. Subunit composition and alternative splicing regulate membrane delivery of kainate receptors. J Neurosci. 2004;24:2506-15 pubmed..The KAR subunits GluR5 and GluR6 exist under different splice variant isoforms in the C-terminal domain (GluR5a, GluR5b, GluR5c, GluR6a, ..
- Mayer M, Ghosal A, Dolman N, Jane D. Crystal structures of the kainate receptor GluR5 ligand binding core dimer with novel GluR5-selective antagonists. J Neurosci. 2006;26:2852-61 pubmed..particularly for kainate receptors that exist as multiple subtypes with a distinct biology encoded by the GluR5-7, KA1, and KA2 genes...
- Breustedt J, Schmitz D. Assessing the role of GLUK5 and GLUK6 at hippocampal mossy fiber synapses. J Neurosci. 2004;24:10093-8 pubmed..We therefore conclude that the facilitatory effects of kainate on mossy fiber synaptic transmission are mediated by GLU(K6)-containing KARs. ..
- Youn D, Randic M. Modulation of excitatory synaptic transmission in the spinal substantia gelatinosa of mice deficient in the kainate receptor GluR5 and/or GluR6 subunit. J Physiol. 2004;555:683-98 pubmed..In the present study, we have used gene-targeted mice lacking KAR GluR5 and/or GluR6 subunits to determine the identity of the receptor subunits involved in the KA-induced modulation of ..
- Guo W, Zou S, Tal M, Ren K. Activation of spinal kainate receptors after inflammation: behavioral hyperalgesia and subunit gene expression. Eur J Pharmacol. 2002;452:309-18 pubmed..Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) indicated that the GluR5 and GluR6, but not the GluR7, KA1 and KA2 subunits, exhibited increased mRNA expression at 2 h to 3 days following ..
- Shibata H, Joo A, Fujii Y, Tani A, Makino C, Hirata N, et al. Association study of polymorphisms in the GluR5 kainate receptor gene (GRIK1) with schizophrenia. Psychiatr Genet. 2001;11:139-44 pubmed..screened single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the entire coding sequence of the GluR5 kainate receptor gene, GRIK1, by polymerase chain reaction-single strand conformation polymorphism and direct sequencing...
- Peng F, Li J, Li Q, Yao Z, Zhou D. [Different expression of GluR5 and GluR6 in rat astrocyte induced with coriaria lactone and ATPA]. Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2010;41:590-4 pubmedTo investigate the different expression of GluR5 and GluR6 in rat astrocyte induced with Coriaria Lactone (CL) and ATPA and to discuss the possible mechanism of the inducing epileptic model...
- Sailer A, Swanson G, Perez Otano I, O Leary L, Malkmus S, Dyck R, et al. Generation and analysis of GluR5(Q636R) kainate receptor mutant mice. J Neurosci. 1999;19:8757-64 pubmed..editing of the codon that encodes the glutamine/arginine (Q/R) site in the second membrane domain (MD2) of glutamate receptor 5 (GluR5) and GluR6 kainate receptor subunits produces receptors with reduced calcium permeabilities and ..
- Lomeli H, Wisden W, Kohler M, Keinanen K, Sommer B, Seeburg P. High-affinity kainate and domoate receptors in rat brain. FEBS Lett. 1992;307:139-43 pubmed..A new member of these receptors, expressed in both adult and embryonic CNS is compared in its ligand binding properties to its closely sequence-related homologs. ..
- Wu L, Ko S, Toyoda H, Zhao M, Xu H, Vadakkan K, et al. Increased anxiety-like behavior and enhanced synaptic efficacy in the amygdala of GluR5 knockout mice. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e167 pubmed..Here, we used a multi-disciplinary approach to demonstrate that GluR5-containing kainate receptors regulate local inhibitory circuits, modulate the excitatory transmission from the ..
- Salinas G, Blair L, Needleman L, Gonzales J, Chen Y, Li M, et al. Actinfilin is a Cul3 substrate adaptor, linking GluR6 kainate receptor subunits to the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:40164-73 pubmed..Together our data demonstrate that actinfilin acts as a scaffold, linking GluR6 to the Cul3 ubiquitin ligase to provide a novel mechanism for kainate receptor degradation. ..
- Sheng N, Shi Y, Nicoll R. Amino-terminal domains of kainate receptors determine the differential dependence on Neto auxiliary subunits for trafficking. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:1159-1164 pubmed publisher..We find that the GluK2 receptor itself, in contrast to GluK1, traffics to the neuronal surface and synapse efficiently and the auxiliary subunits Neto1 and Neto2 caused no ..
- Contractor A, Swanson G, Sailer A, O GORMAN S, Heinemann S. Identification of the kainate receptor subunits underlying modulation of excitatory synaptic transmission in the CA3 region of the hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2000;20:8269-78 pubmed..1998; Bortolotto et al., 1999; Kamiya and Ozawa, 2000). In this study, we use gene-targeted mice lacking glutamate receptor 5 (GluR5) or GluR6 kainate receptor subunits to identify the receptor subunits that comprise the kainate ..
- Brakeman P, Lanahan A, O Brien R, Roche K, Barnes C, Huganir R, et al. Homer: a protein that selectively binds metabotropic glutamate receptors. Nature. 1997;386:284-8 pubmed..This dynamic transcriptional control suggests that Homer mediates a novel cellular mechanism that regulates metabotropic glutamate signalling. ..
- Sommer B, Burnashev N, Verdoorn T, Keinanen K, Sakmann B, Seeburg P. A glutamate receptor channel with high affinity for domoate and kainate. EMBO J. 1992;11:1651-6 pubmed..These findings suggest the existence of at least two distinct types of non-NMDA receptor channels, both gated by AMPA and kainate, but differing in pharmacology and current properties. ..
- Lucifora S, Willcockson H, Lu C, Darstein M, Phend K, Valtschanoff J, et al. Presynaptic low- and high-affinity kainate receptors in nociceptive spinal afferents. Pain. 2006;120:97-105 pubmed..Previous work, with an antibody that recognizes all low-affinity kainate receptor subunits (GluR5, 6, 7), provided microscopic evidence of presynaptic kainate receptors in unidentified primary afferent terminals ..
- Kayadjanian N, Lee H, Piña Crespo J, Heinemann S. Localization of glutamate receptors to distal dendrites depends on subunit composition and the kinesin motor protein KIF17. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;34:219-30 pubmed..Here we investigated the mechanisms underlying localization of kainate GluR5 receptors to dendrites in cultured hippocampal neurons...
- Sallert M, Malkki H, Segerstrale M, Taira T, Lauri S. Effects of the kainate receptor agonist ATPA on glutamatergic synaptic transmission and plasticity during early postnatal development. Neuropharmacology. 2007;52:1354-65 pubmed..Here we use the GluR5 subunit specific agonist ATPA to further characterize the role of KARs in the modulation of synaptic transmission ..
- Vesikansa A, Sallert M, Taira T, Lauri S. Activation of kainate receptors controls the number of functional glutamatergic synapses in the area CA1 of rat hippocampus. J Physiol. 2007;583:145-57 pubmed..Prolonged (16-20 h) activation of the GluR5 subunit-containing KARs using the agonist ATPA (1 microM) caused a specific and enduring increase in the number of ..
- Casassus G, Mulle C. Functional characterization of kainate receptors in the mouse nucleus accumbens. Neuropharmacology. 2002;42:603-11 pubmed..Presynaptic kainate receptors are observed both in GluR6 and in GluR5-deficient mice, but are absent in mice devoid of both subunits...
- Bortolotto Z, Clarke V, Delany C, Parry M, Smolders I, Vignes M, et al. Kainate receptors are involved in synaptic plasticity. Nature. 1999;402:297-301 pubmed..We find that LY382884 is a selective antagonist at neuronal kainate receptors containing the GluR5 subunit...
- Breiderhoff T, Christiansen G, Pallesen L, Vaegter C, Nykjaer A, Holm M, et al. Sortilin-related receptor SORCS3 is a postsynaptic modulator of synaptic depression and fear extinction. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75006 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our studies have identified a novel function for VPS10P domain receptors in control of synaptic depression and suggest SORCS3 as a novel factor modulating aversive memory extinction. ..
- Rogawski M, Gryder D, Castaneda D, Yonekawa W, Banks M, Lia H. GluR5 kainate receptors, seizures, and the amygdala. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;985:150-62 pubmed..Several lines of evidence implicate GluR5 (GLU(K5)) kainate receptors, a type of ionotropic glutamate receptor, in the amygdala's vulnerability to seizures ..
- Xu J, Liu Y, Zhang G. Neuroprotection of GluR5-containing kainate receptor activation against ischemic brain injury through decreasing tyrosine phosphorylation of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors mediated by Src kinase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29355-66 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we investigate whether GluR5 (glutamate receptor 5)-containing kainate receptor activation could lead to a neuroprotective effect against ischemic brain ..
- Stanger H, Alford R, Jane D, Cunningham M. The role of GLU K5-containing kainate receptors in entorhinal cortex gamma frequency oscillations. Neural Plast. 2008;2008:401645 pubmed publisher..Future work will concentrate on determining the exact nature of the cellular expression of kainate receptors in the entorhinal cortex. ..
- Xu C, Cui C, Alkon D. Age-dependent enhancement of inhibitory synaptic transmission in CA1 pyramidal neurons via GluR5 kainate receptors. Hippocampus. 2009;19:706-17 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the regulation of GABAergic synaptic transmission by GluR5 containing kainate receptors was enhanced in aged rats, which was revealed by using LY382884 (a GluR5 kainate ..