Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gnmt
Description: glycine N-methyltransferase
Alias: glycine N-methyltransferase, folate-binding protein, glycine methyltransferase
- Cavuoto P, Fenech M. A review of methionine dependency and the role of methionine restriction in cancer growth control and life-span extension. Cancer Treat Rev. 2012;38:726-36 pubmed publisher..The application of nutritional methionine restriction and methioninase in combination with chemotherapeutic regimens is the current focus of clinical studies. ..
- Sterling K. 4S polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon receptor (glycine N-methyltransferase) and the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator (hypoxia inducible factor-1?) interaction in Chinese hamster ovary and rat hepatoma cells: 4S PAH-R/ARNT hetero-oligomers. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:2015-8 pubmed publisherRat CYP1A1 promoter-luciferase, transiently transfected wild-type and 4S PAH receptor (glycine N-methyl transferase, GNMT)-transformed Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells were exposed to benzo[a]pyrene and assayed for luciferase activity as ..
- Kharbanda K, Vigneswara V, McVicker B, Newlaczyl A, Bailey K, Tuma D, et al. Proteomics reveal a concerted upregulation of methionine metabolic pathway enzymes, and downregulation of carbonic anhydrase-III, in betaine supplemented ethanol-fed rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;381:523-7 pubmed publisher..Carbonic anhydrase-III can function to resist oxidative stress, and we therefore hypothesise that carbonic anhydrase-III protein levels compromised by ethanol consumption, contribute to ethanol-induced redox stress. ..
- Nieman K, Rowling M, Garrow T, Schalinske K. Modulation of methyl group metabolism by streptozotocin-induced diabetes and all-trans-retinoic acid. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:45708-12 pubmedThe hepatic enzyme glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) plays a major role in the control of methyl group and homocysteine metabolism...
- Rowling M, McMullen M, Schalinske K. Vitamin A and its derivatives induce hepatic glycine N-methyltransferase and hypomethylation of DNA in rats. J Nutr. 2002;132:365-9 pubmed..SAM) and the SAM/S-adenosylhomocysteine (SAH) ratio by the key cytosolic enzyme glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) is essential in optimizing methyl group supply and subsequent functioning of methyltransferase enzymes...
- Huang Y, Komoto J, Konishi K, Takata Y, Ogawa H, Gomi T, et al. Mechanisms for auto-inhibition and forced product release in glycine N-methyltransferase: crystal structures of wild-type, mutant R175K and S-adenosylhomocysteine-bound R175K enzymes. J Mol Biol. 2000;298:149-62 pubmedGlycine N-methyltransferase (S-adenosyl-l-methionine: glycine methyltransferase, EC 22.214.171.124; GNMT) catalyzes the AdoMet-dependent methylation of glycine to form sarcosine (N-methylglycine)...
- Luka Z, Pakhomova S, Loukachevitch L, Egli M, Newcomer M, Wagner C. 5-methyltetrahydrofolate is bound in intersubunit areas of rat liver folate-binding protein glycine N-methyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:4069-75 pubmedGlycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) is a key regulatory enzyme in methyl group metabolism...
- Pattanayek R, Newcomer M, Wagner C. Crystal structure of apo-glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT). Protein Sci. 1998;7:1326-31 pubmedThe crystal structure of the recombinant apo-form of glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) has been determined at 2.5 A resolution...
- Fu Z, Hu Y, Konishi K, Takata Y, Ogawa H, Gomi T, et al. Crystal structure of glycine N-methyltransferase from rat liver. Biochemistry. 1996;35:11985-93 pubmedGlycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) from rat liver is a tetrameric enzyme with 292 amino acid residues in each identical subunit and catalyzes the S-adenosylmethionine (AdoMet) dependent methylation of glycine to form sarcosine...
- Wei J, Zhang F, Zhang Y, Cao C, Li X, Li D, et al. Proteomic investigation of signatures for geniposide-induced hepatotoxicity. J Proteome Res. 2014;13:5724-33 pubmed publisher..Two biomarkers, glycine N-methyltransferase (GNMT) and glycogen phosphorylase (PYGL), were found to indicate hepatic injuries significantly earlier than the current ..