Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gnaq
Description: G protein subunit alpha q
Alias: Galphaq, guanine nucleotide-binding protein G(q) subunit alpha, guanine nucleotide binding protein (G protein), q polypeptide, guanine nucleotide binding protein alpha q subunit, guanine nucleotide binding protein, alpha q polypeptide, guanine nucleotide regulatory protein G alpha q, guanine nucleotide-binding protein alpha-q, heterotrimeric guanine nucleotide-binding protein alpha q subunit
- Escamilla Hernandez R, Little Ihrig L, Zeleznik A. Inhibition of rat granulosa cell differentiation by overexpression of Galphaq. Endocrine. 2008;33:21-31 pubmed publisher..Because the LH receptor can also activate the Galphaq signaling pathway, we investigated whether activation of this pathway could be responsible for these differences...
- Chu C, Tzang B, Chen L, Liu C, Tsai F, Tsai C, et al. Activation of insulin-like growth factor II receptor induces mitochondrial-dependent apoptosis through G(alpha)q and downstream calcineurin signaling in myocardial cells. Endocrinology. 2009;150:2723-31 pubmed publisher..Suppression of IGF-IIR signaling pathways may be a good strategy for both the protection against myocardial cell apoptosis and the prevention of heart failure progression. ..
- Rashid A, So C, Kong M, Furtak T, El Ghundi M, Cheng R, et al. D1-D2 dopamine receptor heterooligomers with unique pharmacology are coupled to rapid activation of Gq/11 in the striatum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:654-9 pubmed
- Nordman J, Kabbani N. Microtubule dynamics at the growth cone are mediated by ?7 nicotinic receptor activation of a G?q and IP3 receptor pathway. FASEB J. 2014;28:2995-3006 pubmed publisher..Nordman, J. C., Kabbani, N. Microtubule dynamics at the growth cone are mediated by ?7 nicotinic receptor activation of a G?q and IP3 receptor pathway. ..
- Aisiku O, Runnels L, Scarlata S. Identification of a novel binding partner of phospholipase c?1: translin-associated factor X. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15001 pubmed publisher..Our studies show that TRAX, localized in the cytosol and nucleus, competes with plasma-membrane bound G?(q) for PLC?1 binding thus stabilizing PLC?1 in other cellular compartments. ..
- Tall G, Krumins A, Gilman A. Mammalian Ric-8A (synembryn) is a heterotrimeric Galpha protein guanine nucleotide exchange factor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8356-62 pubmed..Ric-8A interacts with GDP-bound Galpha proteins, stimulates release of GDP, and forms a stable nucleotide-free transition state complex with the Galpha protein; this complex dissociates upon binding of GTP to Galpha. ..
- Holmes C, Landry D, Granton J. Science review: Vasopressin and the cardiovascular system part 1--receptor physiology. Crit Care. 2003;7:427-34 pubmed..In part 2 of the review we discuss the effects of vasopressin on vascular smooth muscle and the heart, and we summarize clinical studies of vasopressin in shock states. ..
- Van Raamsdonk C, Fitch K, Fuchs H, de Angelis M, Barsh G. Effects of G-protein mutations on skin color. Nat Genet. 2004;36:961-8 pubmed..identified three of four such mutations as hypermorphic alleles of Gnaq and Gna11, which encode widely expressed Galphaq subunits, act in an additive and quantitative manner, and require Ednrb...
- Kawano T, Zhao P, Floreani C, Nakajima Y, Kozasa T, Nakajima S. Interaction of Galphaq and Kir3, G protein-coupled inwardly rectifying potassium channels. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;71:1179-84 pubmed..These findings agree with the hypothesis (J Physiol 564:489-500, 2005) that the signal to inactivate the Kir3 channel could be mainly transmitted directly from Galpha(q) to Kir3. ..
- Zhang W, Anger T, Su J, Hao J, Xu X, Zhu M, et al. Selective loss of fine tuning of Gq/11 signaling by RGS2 protein exacerbates cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5811-20 pubmed..Furthermore, this study shows the feasibility of effective RNA interference in cardiomyocytes using lipid-based small interfering RNA transfection. ..
- Gamper N, Reznikov V, Yamada Y, Yang J, Shapiro M. Phosphatidylinositol [correction] 4,5-bisphosphate signals underlie receptor-specific Gq/11-mediated modulation of N-type Ca2+ channels. J Neurosci. 2004;24:10980-92 pubmed..We suggest that differential use of PIP2 signals underlies specificity of Gq/11-coupled receptor actions on the channels ..
- Jefferies S, Barkmeier W, Gwinnett A. Three composite finishing systems: a multisite in vitro evaluation. J Esthet Dent. 1992;4:181-5 pubmed..This finding was corroborated at a second site using a separate methodology for profilometer analysis. ..
- Friedman E, Jin L, Cai G, Hollon T, Drago J, Sibley D, et al. D1-like dopaminergic activation of phosphoinositide hydrolysis is independent of D1A dopamine receptors: evidence from D1A knockout mice. Mol Pharmacol. 1997;51:6-11 pubmed..These results clearly demonstrate that dopaminergic stimulation of inositol phosphate formation is mediated by a D1 dopamine receptor subtype that is distinct from the D1A receptor that activates adenylyl cyclase. ..
- Mende U, Kagen A, Cohen A, Aramburu J, Schoen F, Neer E. Transient cardiac expression of constitutively active Galphaq leads to hypertrophy and dilated cardiomyopathy by calcineurin-dependent and independent pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13893-8 pubmed..Treating HAalpha*q mice with CsA diminished some, but not all, aspects of the hypertrophic phenotype, suggesting that multiple pathways are involved. ..
- Kleppisch T, Voigt V, Allmann R, Offermanns S. G(alpha)q-deficient mice lack metabotropic glutamate receptor-dependent long-term depression but show normal long-term potentiation in the hippocampal CA1 region. J Neurosci. 2001;21:4943-8 pubmed..These results show that G(q) plays a crucial role in the mGluR-dependent LTD, whereas hippocampal LTP is not affected by the lack of a single member of the G(q) family. ..
- Mannoury la Cour C, Chaput C, Touzard M, Millan M. An immunocapture/scintillation proximity analysis of G alpha q/11 activation by native serotonin (5-HT)2A receptors in rat cortex: blockade by clozapine and mirtazapine. Synapse. 2009;63:95-105 pubmed publisher..Quantification of 5-HT(2A) receptor-mediated G alpha q/11 activation in frontal cortex should prove instructive in characterizing the actions of diverse classes of psychotropic agent. ..
- Carrasco G, Zhang Y, Damjanoska K, D Souza D, Garcia F, Battaglia G, et al. A region-specific increase in Galphaq and Galpha11 proteins in brains of rats during cocaine withdrawal. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;307:1012-9 pubmed..2 or 7 days after the last cocaine injection, and the levels of membrane and cytosol-associated 5-HT2A receptors, Galphaq, Galpha11, regulators of G protein signaling (RGS)4, and RGS7 proteins were assayed in the hypothalamic ..
- Guo Y, Golebiewska U, Scarlata S. Modulation of Ca²+ activity in cardiomyocytes through caveolae-G?q interactions. Biophys J. 2011;100:1599-607 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies show that caveolae play a direct and active role in regulating basal Ca(2+) activity in cardiomyocytes...
- Tepe N, Liggett S. Transgenic replacement of type V adenylyl cyclase identifies a critical mechanism of beta-adrenergic receptor dysfunction in the G alpha q overexpressing mouse. FEBS Lett. 1999;458:236-40 pubmed..In contrast, the decrease in type V AC or beta AR signalling to cAMP is not the basis of the hypertrophic response. ..
- Mederos y Schnitzler M, Storch U, Meibers S, Nurwakagari P, Breit A, Essin K, et al. Gq-coupled receptors as mechanosensors mediating myogenic vasoconstriction. EMBO J. 2008;27:3092-103 pubmed publisher..This inhibitory effect is enhanced in blood vessels of mice deficient in the regulator of G-protein signalling-2. These findings suggest that G(q/11)-coupled receptors function as sensors of membrane stretch in VSM cells. ..
- Haga T. Molecular properties of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors. Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci. 2013;89:226-56 pubmed..This paper summarizes the molecular properties of muscarinic receptors with reference to the historical background and bias to studies performed in our laboratories...
- Wettschureck N, Moers A, Hamalainen T, Lemberger T, Schutz G, Offermanns S. Heterotrimeric G proteins of the Gq/11 family are crucial for the induction of maternal behavior in mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8048-54 pubmed
- Carrasco G, Damjanoska K, D Souza D, Zhang Y, Garcia F, Battaglia G, et al. Short-term cocaine treatment causes neuroadaptive changes in Galphaq and Galpha11 proteins in rats undergoing withdrawal. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;311:349-55 pubmed..These findings provide insight into the relative importance of individual components of 5-HT(2A) receptor signal transduction system in regulating the overall sensitivity of this signaling in cocaine-treated rats. ..
- Wang X, Zhang H, Cheng Y, Li X. Inhibition of left ventricular remodelling in spontaneously hypertensive rats by G alpha q-protein carboxyl terminus imitation polypeptide GCIP-27 is not entirely dependent on blood pressure. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2008;35:1215-21 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, GCIP-27 effectively attenuates LV remodelling in SHR and the antiremodelling effect may not be dependent entirely on decreases in blood pressure. ..
- Chang C, Lee L, Yu D, Dao K, Bossuyt J, Bers D. Acute ?-adrenergic activation triggers nuclear import of histone deacetylase 5 and delays G(q)-induced transcriptional activation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:192-204 pubmed publisher..This serves as a key physiological control switch before allowing genetic reprogramming via HDAC5 nuclear export during more severe stress, such as heart failure. ..
- Zhu Y, Miwa Y, Yamanaka A, Yada T, Shibahara M, Abe Y, et al. Orexin receptor type-1 couples exclusively to pertussis toxin-insensitive G-proteins, while orexin receptor type-2 couples to both pertussis toxin-sensitive and -insensitive G-proteins. J Pharmacol Sci. 2003;92:259-66 pubmed..This suggests that although OX2R couples to multiple G-proteins, activation of neurons by orexins through OX2R is mediated via a PTX-insensitive, PLC dependent pathway. ..
- Descorbeth M, Anand Srivastava M. High glucose increases the expression of Gq/11alpha and PLC-beta proteins and associated signaling in vascular smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H2135-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that high glucose augments the expression of Gq/11alpha, PLC-beta, and mediated signaling in VSMCs, which may be attributed to AT1, ET(A), and ET(B) receptors. ..
- Gu J, Muller S, Mancino V, Offermanns S, Simon M. Interaction of G alpha(12) with G alpha(13) and G alpha(q) signaling pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9352-7 pubmed..These data indicate that the G alpha(12)-mediated signaling pathway functionally interacts not only with the G alpha(13)- but also with the G alpha(q/11)-mediated signaling systems. ..
- Takashima S, Sugimoto N, Takuwa N, Okamoto Y, Yoshioka K, Takamura M, et al. G12/13 and Gq mediate S1P2-induced inhibition of Rac and migration in vascular smooth muscle in a manner dependent on Rho but not Rho kinase. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;79:689-97 pubmed publisher..These observations together suggest that S1P(2) mediates inhibition of Rac and migration through the coordinated action of G(12/13) and G(q) for Rho activation in VSMCs. ..
- Morris J, Huynh H, Vasilevski O, Woodcock E. Alpha1-adrenergic receptor signaling is localized to caveolae in neonatal rat cardiomyocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2006;41:17-25 pubmed..PIP2 in other fractions was unaffected. In agreement with this, PLCbeta1 and, to a lesser extent, Galphaq were concentrated in this fraction. PLCbeta3 was primarily observed in heavier membranes...
- Saito M, Shinohara Y, Sasaki H, Netsu Y, Yoshida M, Nakahata N. Type 1 angiotensin receptor (AT1-R)-mediated decrease in type 2 angiotensin receptor mRNA level is dependent on Gq and extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1//2 in AT1-R-transfected PC12 cells. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:299-308 pubmed publisher..We suggest, possibly for the first time, that the hAT1-R/G(q)/extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 pathway is involved in the down-regulation of AT2-R using PC12 cells transfected with AT1-R. ..
- Bähr I, Muhlbauer E, Albrecht E, Peschke E. Evidence of the receptor-mediated influence of melatonin on pancreatic glucagon secretion via the G?q protein-coupled and PI3K signaling pathways. J Pineal Res. 2012;53:390-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these findings provide evidence that the glucagon-stimulatory effect of melatonin in pancreatic ?-cells is melatonin receptor mediated, thus supporting the concept of melatonin-modulated and diurnal glucagon release. ..
- Lesch K, Manji H. Signal-transducing G proteins and antidepressant drugs: evidence for modulation of alpha subunit gene expression in rat brain. Biol Psychiatry. 1992;32:549-79 pubmed..The development of novel drugs with G proteins as primary targets remains an attractive prospect for the future. ..
- Offermanns S, Zhao L, Gohla A, Sarosi I, Simon M, Wilkie T. Embryonic cardiomyocyte hypoplasia and craniofacial defects in G alpha q/G alpha 11-mutant mice. EMBO J. 1998;17:4304-12 pubmed..These data demonstrate overlap in G alpha q and G alpha 11 gene functions and indicate that the Gq class of G proteins plays a crucial role in cardiac growth and development. ..
- Saitoh O, Murata Y, Odagiri M, Itoh M, Itoh H, Misaka T, et al. Alternative splicing of RGS8 gene determines inhibitory function of receptor type-specific Gq signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:10138-43 pubmed
- Howes A, Arthur J, Zhang T, Miyamoto S, Adams J, Dorn G, et al. Akt-mediated cardiomyocyte survival pathways are compromised by G alpha q-induced phosphoinositide 4,5-bisphosphate depletion. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40343-51 pubmed..Akt phosphorylation and PIP2 levels decrease concomitantly. Our findings suggest that an Akt-mediated cell survival pathway is compromised by the diminished availability of PIP2 elicited by pathological levels of Gq activity. ..
- Abe K, Nakashima H, Ishida M, Miho N, Sawano M, Soe N, et al. Angiotensin II-induced osteopontin expression in vascular smooth muscle cells involves Gq/11, Ras, ERK, Src and Ets-1. Hypertens Res. 2008;31:987-98 pubmed publisher..These signaling molecules may represent therapeutic targets for the prevention of pathological vascular remodeling. ..
- Wainford R, Kurtz K, Kapusta D. Central G-alpha subunit protein-mediated control of cardiovascular function, urine output, and vasopressin secretion in conscious Sprague-Dawley rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;295:R535-42 pubmed publisher..We examined how inhibition/downregulation of central Galphai/Galphao, Galphaz or Galphaq proteins altered the characteristic cardiovascular (depressor), renal excretory (diuretic), and plasma AVP (..
- Haley J, Delmas P, Offermanns S, Abogadie F, Simon M, Buckley N, et al. Muscarinic inhibition of calcium current and M current in Galpha q-deficient mice. J Neurosci. 2000;20:3973-9 pubmed
- Tanski W, Roztocil E, Hemady E, Williams J, Davies M. Role of Galphaq in smooth muscle cell proliferation. J Vasc Surg. 2004;39:639-44 pubmed..This study examined the role of Galphaq signaling pathways in vascular smooth muscle cell (SMC) proliferation in vitro...
- Kammermeier P. C-terminal deletion of metabotropic glutamate receptor 1 selectively abolishes coupling to Galphaq. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;627:63-8 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that C-terminal deletion of mGlu(1) receptor selectively abolishes Galpha(q/11) coupling. ..
- Xia S, Hu C, Fang J, Di Y, Zhao Z, Liu L. G[alpha]i2 and G[alpha]q expression change in pancreatic tissues and BN52021 effects in rats with severe acute pancreatitis. Pancreas. 2008;37:170-5 pubmed publisher..05). G[alpha]i2, G[alpha]q mRNA, and their proteins in SAP increase. BN52021 decreases G[alpha]i2 and G[alpha]q. ..
- Lee I, Song S, Campbell C, Kumar S, Cook D, Dinudom A. Regulation of the epithelial Na+ channel by the RH domain of G protein-coupled receptor kinase, GRK2, and Galphaq/11. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:19259-69 pubmed publisher..The effect of G?q on ENaC activity is not due to change in ENaC membrane expression and is independent of Nedd4-2. These findings reveal a novel mechanism by which GRK2 and Gq/11 ?-subunits regulate the activity ENaC. ..
- Salmanian S, Najafi S, Rafipour M, Arjomand M, Shahheydari H, Ansari S, et al. Regulation of GSK-3beta and beta-Catenin by Galphaq in HEK293T cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;395:577-82 pubmed publisher..Our previous results have shown that activation of Galphaq in Xenopus oocytes leads to inhibition of GSK-3beta and stabilization of the beta-Catenin protein, suggesting ..
- Rahman M, Ashton A, Meunier F, Davletov B, Dolly J, Ushkaryov Y. Norepinephrine exocytosis stimulated by alpha-latrotoxin requires both external and stored Ca2+ and is mediated by latrophilin, G proteins and phospholipase C. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1999;354:379-86 pubmed
- Howes A, Miyamoto S, Adams J, Woodcock E, Brown J. Galphaq expression activates EGFR and induces Akt mediated cardiomyocyte survival: dissociation from Galphaq mediated hypertrophy. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2006;40:597-604 pubmedOur laboratory has previously shown that adenoviral-mediated overexpression of Galphaq in neonatal rat ventricular cardiomyocytes increases the phosphorylation of Akt, a well-established anti-apoptotic effector...
- Takashima N, Fujioka A, Hayasaka N, Matsuo A, Takasaki J, Shigeyoshi Y. Gq/11-induced intracellular calcium mobilization mediates Per2 acute induction in Rat-1 fibroblasts. Genes Cells. 2006;11:1039-49 pubmed..These findings together suggest that serum and endothelin utilize a common Gq/11-PLC mediated pathway for the transactivation of rPer2, which involves the mobilization of calcium from the intracellular calcium store. ..
- Barnes W, Reiter E, Violin J, Ren X, Milligan G, Lefkowitz R. beta-Arrestin 1 and Galphaq/11 coordinately activate RhoA and stress fiber formation following receptor stimulation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8041-50 pubmed
- Hunyady L, Catt K. Pleiotropic AT1 receptor signaling pathways mediating physiological and pathogenic actions of angiotensin II. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:953-70 pubmed..The recognition of Ang II's pathogenic actions is leading to novel clinical applications of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and AT1R antagonists, in addition to their established therapeutic actions in essential hypertension. ..
- Jialili A, Abasi K, Maimaitizunong -, Zhang L, Li X. [Influence of propofol on Gq/11 protein in kidney during acute respiratory distress syndrome]. Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2006;18:724-6 pubmed..41+/-0.16) kU/g, (1.94+/-0.16) micromol/g, respectively, all P<0.01]. Pre-treatment with propofol can reduce the concentration of Gq/11 protein in kidney tissue, and it can ameliorate the injury to the kidney during ARDS. ..
- Haley J, Abogadie F, Delmas P, Dayrell M, Vallis Y, Milligan G, et al. The alpha subunit of Gq contributes to muscarinic inhibition of the M-type potassium current in sympathetic neurons. J Neurosci. 1998;18:4521-31 pubmed..This inhibition occurs via pertussis toxin-insensitive G-proteins belonging to the Galphaq family (Caulfield et al., 1994 )...
- Lu X, Tong Y, Liu Y, Xu Y, Yang H, Zhang G, et al. GÎ±q protein carboxyl terminus imitation polypeptide GCIP-27 improves cardiac function in chronic heart failure rats. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0121007 pubmed publisher..GCIP-27 could effectively ameliorate heart failure development induced by Dox. PKC-ERK1/2 signaling might represent the underlying mechanism of the beneficial effects of GCIP-27. ..
- Nafisi H, Banihashemi B, Daigle M, Albert P. GAP1(IP4BP)/RASA3 mediates Galphai-induced inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:35908-17 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a novel mechanism for dopamine D2S-induced inhibition of ERK1/2 and indicate that RASA3 links Galphai proteins to inhibit Gq-induced Ras/ERK1/2 activation. ..
- Offermanns S, Hashimoto K, Watanabe M, Sun W, Kurihara H, Thompson R, et al. Impaired motor coordination and persistent multiple climbing fiber innervation of cerebellar Purkinje cells in mice lacking Galphaq. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:14089-94 pubmedMice lacking the alpha-subunit of the heterotrimeric guanine nucleotide binding protein Gq (Galphaq) are viable but suffer from ataxia with typical signs of motor discoordination...