Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Glrb
Description: glycine receptor, beta
Alias: glycine receptor subunit beta, glycine receptor 58 kDa subunit, glycine receptor, beta subunit
- Burzomato V, Beato M, Groot Kormelink P, Colquhoun D, Sivilotti L. Single-channel behavior of heteromeric alpha1beta glycine receptors: an attempt to detect a conformational change before the channel opens. J Neurosci. 2004;24:10924-40 pubmed..Distinguishing between the two mechanisms will be important for our understanding of the structural dynamics of activation in the nicotinic superfamily and is important for our understanding of mutations in these receptors. ..
- Handford C, Lynch J, Baker E, Webb G, Ford J, Sutherland G, et al. The human glycine receptor beta subunit: primary structure, functional characterisation and chromosomal localisation of the human and murine genes. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;35:211-9 pubmed..Fluorescence in situ hybridisation was used to localise the gene encoding the human GlyR beta subunit (GLRB) to chromosome 4q32, a position syntenic with mouse chromosome 3...
- Rees M, Lewis T, Kwok J, Mortier G, Govaert P, Snell R, et al. Hyperekplexia associated with compound heterozygote mutations in the beta-subunit of the human inhibitory glycine receptor (GLRB). Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:853-60 pubmed..Mutations in the beta-subunit of GlyR (glrb) occur in a murine model of hyperekplexia (spastic), but have not been detected in human hyperekplexia...
- Sato Y, Son J, Tucker R, Meizel S. The zona pellucida-initiated acrosome reaction: defect due to mutations in the sperm glycine receptor/Cl(-) channel. Dev Biol. 2000;227:211-8 pubmed..Moreover, a monoclonal antibody against GlyR completely blocked ZP initiation of AR in normal mouse sperm. Our results are consistent with an essential role for the sperm GlyR in the ZP-initiated AR. ..
- Burzomato V, Groot Kormelink P, Sivilotti L, Beato M. Stoichiometry of recombinant heteromeric glycine receptors revealed by a pore-lining region point mutation. Receptors Channels. 2003;9:353-61 pubmed..The magnitude of the leftward shift in the agonist dose-response curve for the two mutant combinations was in agreement with a subunit stoichiometry of 3alpha:2beta. ..
- Beato M, Groot Kormelink P, Colquhoun D, Sivilotti L. The activation mechanism of alpha1 homomeric glycine receptors. J Neurosci. 2004;24:895-906 pubmed..Successive binding steps are not identical, implying that binding sites can interact while the channel is shut. These interactions can be interpreted in the light of the topology of the binding sites within a homopentamer. ..
- Braun C, Chouinard M. Is anorexia nervosa a neuropsychological disease?. Neuropsychol Rev. 1992;3:171-212 pubmed..Priorities for further research into anorexia nervosa are specified to include twin adoption studies, brain electrical topography studies, postmortem histological studies, and experimentally inspired neuropsychological studies. ..
- del Pino I, Koch D, Schemm R, Qualmann B, Betz H, Paarmann I. Proteomic analysis of glycine receptor ? subunit (GlyR?)-interacting proteins: evidence for syndapin I regulating synaptic glycine receptors. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:11396-409 pubmed publisher..Similar changes in GlyR cluster properties were found in spinal cultures from SdpI-deficient mice. Our results are consistent with a role of SdpI in the trafficking and/or cytoskeletal anchoring of synaptic GlyRs. ..
- White W. The glycine receptor in the mutant mouse spastic (spa): strychnine binding characteristics and pharmacology. Brain Res. 1985;329:1-6 pubmed..The data do not permit a distinction between whether the strychnine binding sites found in spastic represent the same population seen in littermate control animals or are a subpopulation that is spared by the mutation. ..
- Graham B, Schofield P, Sah P, Margrie T, Callister R. Distinct physiological mechanisms underlie altered glycinergic synaptic transmission in the murine mutants spastic, spasmodic, and oscillator. J Neurosci. 2006;26:4880-90 pubmed..Together, these findings show the three mutations disrupt GlyR-mediated inhibition via different physiological mechanisms, and the spastic mutation results in "compensatory" alpha1 homomeric GlyRs at extrasynaptic loci. ..
- Kim E, Schrader N, Smolinsky B, Bedet C, Vannier C, Schwarz G, et al. Deciphering the structural framework of glycine receptor anchoring by gephyrin. EMBO J. 2006;25:1385-95 pubmed..Structure-guided mutagenesis followed by in vitro binding and in vivo colocalization assays demonstrate that a hydrophobic interaction formed by Phe 330 of gephyrin and Phe 398 and Ile 400 of the GlyR beta-loop is crucial for binding. ..
- Maas C, Tagnaouti N, Loebrich S, Behrend B, Lappe Siefke C, Kneussel M. Neuronal cotransport of glycine receptor and the scaffold protein gephyrin. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:441-51 pubmed
- White W, Heller A. Glycine receptor alteration in the mutant mouse spastic. Nature. 1982;298:655-7 pubmed
- Becker L, Hartenstein B, Schenkel J, Kuhse J, Betz H, Weiher H. Transient neuromotor phenotype in transgenic spastic mice expressing low levels of glycine receptor beta-subunit: an animal model of startle disease. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:27-32 pubmed..This closely resembles the development of symptoms in human hyperekplexia patients, where motor coordination significantly improves after adolescence. The spa/spa TG456 line thus may serve as an animal model of human startle disease. ..
- Simon E. Phenotypic heterogeneity and disease course in three murine strains with mutations in genes encoding for alpha 1 and beta glycine receptor subunits. Mov Disord. 1997;12:221-8 pubmed..These mutants represent good animal models for elucidation of molecular and cellular issues regarding the glycine receptor and for the study of pathogenetic mechanisms of movement disorders. ..
- Schrader N, Kim E, Winking J, Paulukat J, Schindelin H, Schwarz G. Biochemical characterization of the high affinity binding between the glycine receptor and gephyrin. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:18733-41 pubmed..Binding of the GlyRbeta-loop does not change the oligomeric state of either full-length gephyrin or the isolated E domain. ..
- von Wegerer J, Becker K, Glockenhammer D, Becker C, Zeilhofer H, Swandulla D. Spinal inhibitory synaptic transmission in the glycine receptor mouse mutant spastic. Neurosci Lett. 2003;345:45-8 pubmed..Fast time constants of the decay phase of IPSCs were slightly reduced for the GlyR-mediated IPSCs and significantly larger for the GABA(A)R-mediated IPSCs in both mutant strains. ..
- Meier H, Chai C. Spastic, an hereditary neurological mutation in the mouse characterized by vertebral arthropathy and leptomeningeal cyst formation. Exp Med Surg. 1970;28:24-38 pubmed