Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gata6
Description: GATA binding protein 6
Alias: transcription factor GATA-6, DNA-binding protein GATA-GT2, GATA-binding factor 6
- Roca Alonso L, Castellano L, Mills A, Dabrowska A, Sikkel M, Pellegrino L, et al. Myocardial MiR-30 downregulation triggered by doxorubicin drives alterations in Î²-adrenergic signaling and enhances apoptosis. Cell Death Dis. 2015;6:e1754 pubmed publisher..miR-30 overexpression protects cardiac cells from DOX-induced apoptosis, and its maintenance represents a potential cardioprotective and anti-tumorigenic strategy for anthracyclines. ..
- Potvin E, Beuret L, Cadrin Girard J, Carter M, Roy S, Tremblay M, et al. Cooperative action of multiple cis-acting elements is required for N-myc expression in branchial arches: specific contribution of GATA3. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:5348-63 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that correct N-myc developmental expression is achieved via cooperation of multiple positive and negative regulatory elements. ..
- Nakamura Y, Xing Y, Sasano H, Rainey W. The mediator complex subunit 1 enhances transcription of genes needed for adrenal androgen production. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4145-53 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that MED1 and GATA-6 are key regulators of SULT2A1 expression, and they play important roles in adrenal androgen production. ..
- Froese N, Kattih B, Breitbart A, Grund A, Geffers R, Molkentin J, et al. GATA6 promotes angiogenic function and survival in endothelial cells by suppression of autocrine transforming growth factor beta/activin receptor-like kinase 5 signaling. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:5680-90 pubmed publisher..We showed here that the transcription factor GATA6 is expressed in different human primary endothelial cells as well as in vascular endothelial cells of mice in vivo...
- Liang D, Zhen L, Yuan T, Huang J, Deng F, Wuyahan -, et al. miR-10a regulates proliferation of human cardiomyocyte progenitor cells by targeting GATA6. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e103097 pubmed publisher..miR-10a bound to GATA6 directly and reduced GATA6 expression...
- Yin Z, Gonzales L, Kolla V, Rath N, Zhang Y, Lu M, et al. Hop functions downstream of Nkx2.1 and GATA6 to mediate HDAC-dependent negative regulation of pulmonary gene expression. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;291:L191-9 pubmed..Hop functions in the developing pulmonary airway, acting downstream of Nkx2.1 and GATA6, to negatively regulate surfactant protein expression...
- Ritz Laser B, Mamin A, Brun T, Avril I, Schwitzgebel V, Philippe J. The zinc finger-containing transcription factor Gata-4 is expressed in the developing endocrine pancreas and activates glucagon gene expression. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:759-70 pubmed
- Nemer G, Nemer M. Transcriptional activation of BMP-4 and regulation of mammalian organogenesis by GATA-4 and -6. Dev Biol. 2003;254:131-48 pubmed..They also raise the possibility that part of the early defects in GATA-4 and/or GATA-6 null embryos may be due to impaired BMP-4 signaling. ..
- Morrisey E, Tang Z, Sigrist K, Lu M, Jiang F, Ip H, et al. GATA6 regulates HNF4 and is required for differentiation of visceral endoderm in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3579-90 pubmedb>GATA6 belongs to a family of zinc finger transcription factors that play important roles in transducing nuclear events that regulate cellular differentiation and embryonic morphogenesis in vertebrate species...
- Maitra M, Schluterman M, Nichols H, Richardson J, Lo C, Srivastava D, et al. Interaction of Gata4 and Gata6 with Tbx5 is critical for normal cardiac development. Dev Biol. 2009;326:368-77 pubmed publisher..Similar to Gata4, Gata6 and Tbx5 are co-expressed in the embryonic heart, and the transcription factors synergistically activate the ..
- Kodo K, Nishizawa T, Furutani M, Arai S, Yamamura E, Joo K, et al. GATA6 mutations cause human cardiac outflow tract defects by disrupting semaphorin-plexin signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:13933-8 pubmed publisher..Here we show that mutations in the gene encoding the transcription factor GATA6 cause CHD characteristic of a severe form of cardiac outflow tract (OFT) defect, namely persistent truncus ..
- Karamboulas K, Dranse H, Underhill T. Regulation of BMP-dependent chondrogenesis in early limb mesenchyme by TGFbeta signals. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2068-76 pubmed publisher..However, the programs differ in the transient signals driving chondrogenic responsiveness to BMPs, with SHH operating in the former and TGFbeta activation in the latter. ..
- Gao X, Sedgwick T, Shi Y, Evans T. Distinct functions are implicated for the GATA-4, -5, and -6 transcription factors in the regulation of intestine epithelial cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:2901-11 pubmed..Based on this data, we suggest that GATA-6 might function primarily within the proliferating progenitor population, while GATA-4 and GATA-5 function during differentiation to activate terminal-differentiation genes including IFABP. ..
- Heikinheimo M, Ermolaeva M, Bielinska M, Rahman N, Narita N, Huhtaniemi I, et al. Expression and hormonal regulation of transcription factors GATA-4 and GATA-6 in the mouse ovary. Endocrinology. 1997;138:3505-14 pubmed
- Wada H, Hasegawa K, Morimoto T, Kakita T, Yanazume T, Abe M, et al. Calcineurin-GATA-6 pathway is involved in smooth muscle-specific transcription. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:983-91 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that the calcineurin pathway is associated with GATA-6 and is required for the maintenance of the differentiated phenotype in VSMCs. ..
- Tsuji S, Kawasaki Y, Furukawa S, Taniue K, Hayashi T, Okuno M, et al. The miR-363-GATA6-Lgr5 pathway is critical for colorectal tumourigenesis. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3150 pubmed publisher..We show that the transcription factor GATA6 directly enhances the expression of LGR5...
- Kanematsu A, Ramachandran A, Adam R. GATA-6 mediates human bladder smooth muscle differentiation: involvement of a novel enhancer element in regulating alpha-smooth muscle actin gene expression. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C1093-102 pubmed..In addition, these findings demonstrate that GATA-6 regulates human alpha-SMA expression via a novel regulatory cis element in the alpha-SMA promoter-enhancer. ..
- Liu C, Glasser S, Wan H, Whitsett J. GATA-6 and thyroid transcription factor-1 directly interact and regulate surfactant protein-C gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:4519-25 pubmed..GATA-6 influenced the activity of the sp-C promoter, binding and acting synergistically with TTF-1. ..
- Ghatnekar A, Chrobak I, Reese C, Stawski L, Seta F, Wirrig E, et al. Endothelial GATA-6 deficiency promotes pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Pathol. 2013;182:2391-406 pubmed publisher..Mice with the genetic deletion of GATA-6 in ECs (Gata6-KO) spontaneously develop elevated pulmonary artery pressure and increased vessel muscularization, and these ..
- Decker K, Goldman D, Grasch C, Sussel L. Gata6 is an important regulator of mouse pancreas development. Dev Biol. 2006;298:415-29 pubmedGata4, Gata5, and Gata6 represent a subfamily of zinc-finger transcriptional regulators that are important in the development and differentiation of numerous tissues, including many endodermally-derived organs...
- Niakan K, Ji H, Maehr R, Vokes S, Rodolfa K, Sherwood R, et al. Sox17 promotes differentiation in mouse embryonic stem cells by directly regulating extraembryonic gene expression and indirectly antagonizing self-renewal. Genes Dev. 2010;24:312-26 pubmed publisher..By elaborating the function of Sox17, our results provide insight into how the transcriptional network promoting ES cell self-renewal is interrupted, allowing cellular differentiation. ..
- Brewer A, Alexandrovich A, Mjaatvedt C, Shah A, Patient R, Pizzey J. GATA factors lie upstream of Nkx 2.5 in the transcriptional regulatory cascade that effects cardiogenesis. Stem Cells Dev. 2005;14:425-39 pubmed
- Yang Y, Li L, Wang J, Zhang X, Li R, Xu Y, et al. GATA6 loss-of-function mutation in atrial fibrillation. Eur J Med Genet. 2012;55:520-6 pubmed publisher..In this study, the entire coding region of the GATA6 gene, which encodes a zinc-finger transcription factor crucial for cardiogenesis, was sequenced in 138 unrelated ..
- Xing X, Deng Z, Yang F, Watanabe S, Wen L, Jin Y. Determination of genes involved in the early process of molar root development initiation in rat by modified subtractive hybridization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;363:994-1000 pubmed..Differentially expressed gene clones were evaluated by dot-blot and sequencing. Sel1l, Nfic, Edar, GATA6, and some novel genes were found differentially expressed, which were strongly related the tooth root patterning...
- Zhao R, Watt A, Battle M, Li J, Bondow B, Duncan S. Loss of both GATA4 and GATA6 blocks cardiac myocyte differentiation and results in acardia in mice. Dev Biol. 2008;317:614-9 pubmed publisher..Candidates include the zinc finger transcription factors GATA binding proteins 4 and 6 (GATA4, GATA6)...
- Laverriere A, MacNeill C, Mueller C, Poelmann R, Burch J, Evans T. GATA-4/5/6, a subfamily of three transcription factors transcribed in developing heart and gut. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:23177-84 pubmed..These studies thus provide novel insights into tissue-specific regulation by GATA-5, as well as into possibly overlapping regulatory functions for these three family members. ..
- Chang D, Belaguli N, Iyer D, Roberts W, Wu S, Dong X, et al. Cysteine-rich LIM-only proteins CRP1 and CRP2 are potent smooth muscle differentiation cofactors. Dev Cell. 2003;4:107-18 pubmed
- Tamura S, Wang X, Maeda M, Futai M. Gastric DNA-binding proteins recognize upstream sequence motifs of parietal cell-specific genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:10876-80 pubmed..These results clearly suggest that GATA-GT1 and GATA-GT2 are involved in gene regulation specifically in the gastric epithelium and represent two additional members of the GATA-binding protein family. ..
- Mwinyi J, Hofmann Y, Pedersen R, Nekvindova J, Cavaco I, Mkrtchian S, et al. The transcription factor GATA-4 regulates cytochrome P4502C19 gene expression. Life Sci. 2010;86:699-706 pubmed publisher..In addition, the association of GATA-4 with the CYP2C19 promoter was confirmed by ChIP analysis. These data indicate that GATA-4 plays an important role in the transcriptional regulation of CYP2C19 expression. ..
- Ghatnekar A, Trojanowska M. GATA-6 is a novel transcriptional repressor of the human Tenascin-C gene expression in fibroblasts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1779:145-51 pubmed publisher..A GATA-6 response element was mapped to position -467 to -460 of the TN-C promoter. In addition, we showed that GATA-6 binds this site both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Wang J, Luo X, Xin Y, Liu Y, Liu Z, Wang Q, et al. Novel GATA6 mutations associated with congenital ventricular septal defect or tetralogy of fallot. DNA Cell Biol. 2012;31:1610-7 pubmed publisher..In this study, the whole coding region of GATA6, a gene encoding a zinc-finger transcription factor crucial for normal cardiogenesis, was sequenced in 380 ..
- Bosse T, Piaseckyj C, Burghard E, Fialkovich J, Rajagopal S, Pu W, et al. Gata4 is essential for the maintenance of jejunal-ileal identities in the adult mouse small intestine. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:9060-70 pubmed..05). Gata4 is thus an important positional signal required for the maintenance of jejunal-ileal identities in the adult mouse small intestine. ..
- Kyrmizi I, Hatzis P, Katrakili N, Tronche F, Gonzalez F, Talianidis I. Plasticity and expanding complexity of the hepatic transcription factor network during liver development. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2293-305 pubmed..The results illustrate the remarkable flexibility of a self-sustaining transcription factor network, built up by complex dominant and redundant regulatory motifs in developing hepatocytes. ..
- Li J, Liu W, Yang Z, Yang Y. Novel GATA6 loss-of-function mutation responsible for familial atrial fibrillation. Int J Mol Med. 2012;30:783-90 pubmed publisher..In this study, the entire coding sequence and splice junctions of the GATA6 gene, which encodes a zinc-finger transcription factor crucial for cardiogenesis, were sequenced in 140 unrelated ..
- Zhou B, Francis T, Yang H, Tseng W, Zhong Q, Frenkel B, et al. GATA-6 mediates transcriptional activation of aquaporin-5 through interactions with Sp1. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C1141-50 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that transcriptional activation of AQP5 by GATA-6 is mediated at least in part through cooperative interactions with Sp1 occurring at the proximal promoter. ..
- Tucker N, Mahida S, Ye J, Abraham E, Mina J, Parsons V, et al. Gain-of-function mutations in GATA6 lead to atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2017;14:284-291 pubmed publisher..we then screened individuals with early-onset AF, defined as an age of onset <66 years, for mutations in GATA6. Variants were functionally characterized using reporter assays in a mammalian cell line...
- Rath N, Wang Z, Lu M, Morrisey E. LMCD1/Dyxin is a novel transcriptional cofactor that restricts GATA6 function by inhibiting DNA binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:8864-73 pubmed..We have identified a novel GATA-LIM interaction between GATA6 and LMCD1/dyxin...
- Rojas A, De Val S, Heidt A, Xu S, Bristow J, Black B. Gata4 expression in lateral mesoderm is downstream of BMP4 and is activated directly by Forkhead and GATA transcription factors through a distal enhancer element. Development. 2005;132:3405-17 pubmed
- Lin X, Huo Z, Liu X, Zhang Y, Li L, Zhao H, et al. A novel GATA6 mutation in patients with tetralogy of Fallot or atrial septal defect. J Hum Genet. 2010;55:662-7 pubmed publisherb>GATA6 is a member of the GATA family of transcription factors, and its expression and functions overlap with those of GATA4 during heart development...
- Weidenfeld J, Shu W, Zhang L, Millar S, Morrisey E. The WNT7b promoter is regulated by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2 in lung epithelium. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21061-70 pubmed..WNT7b promoter contains several DNA binding sites for the important lung-restricted transcription factors TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2...
- Jahromi M, Tehrani F, Noroozzadeh M, Zarkesh M, Ghasemi A, Zadeh Vakili A. Elevated expression of steroidogenesis pathway genes; CYP17, GATA6 and StAR in prenatally androgenized rats. Gene. 2016;593:167-171 pubmed publisher..on their observed vaginal smear (proestrus, estrus, metestrus and diestrus) and the relative expression of CYP17, GATA6 and StAR genes was measured in ovarian theca cells using Cyber-green Real-Time PCR...
- Nakagawa R, Sato R, Futai M, Yokosawa H, Maeda M. Gastric GATA-6 DNA-binding protein: proteolysis induced by cAMP. FEBS Lett. 1997;408:301-5 pubmed..This finding constitutes a novel aspect of regulation by GATA DNA-binding proteins, which are essential for developmental processes and tissue-specific transcription. ..
- Yoon S, Wills A, Chuong E, Gupta R, Baker J. HEB and E2A function as SMAD/FOXH1 cofactors. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1654-61 pubmed publisher..Taken together, E proteins are novel Nodal signaling cofactors that associate with SMAD2/3 and FOXH1 and are necessary for mesendoderm differentiation. ..
- Kiiveri S, Liu J, Westerholm Ormio M, Narita N, Wilson D, Voutilainen R, et al. Differential expression of GATA-4 and GATA-6 in fetal and adult mouse and human adrenal tissue. Endocrinology. 2002;143:3136-43 pubmed..GATA-4, on the other hand, may serve a role in the fetal adrenal gene regulation, although it is not essential for early adrenocortical differentiation. ..
- Charron F, Paradis P, Bronchain O, Nemer G, Nemer M. Cooperative interaction between GATA-4 and GATA-6 regulates myocardial gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:4355-65 pubmed..The data also show that GATA factors act in concert to regulate distinct subsets of genes, suggesting that combinatorial interactions among GATA factors may differentially control various cellular processes. ..
- Zheng G, Wei D, Zhao H, Zhou N, Yang Y, Liu X. A novel GATA6 mutation associated with congenital ventricular septal defect. Int J Mol Med. 2012;29:1065-71 pubmed publisher..In this study, the entire coding region of the GATA6 gene, which encodes a zinc-finger transcription factor crucial to normal cardiogenesis, was sequenced ..
- Ushijima H, Maeda M. cAMP-dependent proteolysis of GATA-6 is linked to JNK-signaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;423:679-83 pubmed publisher..In contrast, A-kinase might activate only the latter process through JNK. ..
- Kee H, Kim G, Kim I, Jeong M. Sulforaphane suppresses cardiac hypertrophy by inhibiting GATA4/GATA6 expression and MAPK signaling pathways. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2015;59:221-30 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that SFN has the potential to prevent cardiac hypertrophy by downregulating GATA4/6 and mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathways. ..
- Pavlov K, Honing J, Meijer C, Boersma van Ek W, Peters F, van den Berg A, et al. GATA6 expression in Barrett's oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Dig Liver Dis. 2015;47:73-80 pubmed publisher..The transcription factor GATA6 is known to be involved in columnar differentiation and proliferation, and GATA6 gene amplification was recently ..
- Takayasu H, Sato H, Sugimoto K, Puri P. Downregulation of GATA4 and GATA6 in the heart of rats with nitrofen-induced diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:362-6 pubmed publisher..It has been reported that GATA4 and GATA6, members of the GATA transcription factor family, act cooperatively to regulate cardiovascular development, and ..
- Qiu Y, Lynch J, Guo L, Yatsula B, Perkins A, Michalak M. Regulation of the calreticulin gene by GATA6 and Evi-1 transcription factors. Biochemistry. 2008;47:3697-704 pubmed publisher..In this study we identify GATA6 and Evi-1 transcription factors as new regulators of the calreticulin gene...
- Tamura S, Wang X, Maeda M, Futai M. Gastric DNA-binding proteins recognize upstream sequence motifs of parietal cell-specific genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:4609 pubmed
- Nam Y, Kim Y, Joung H, Kwon D, Choe N, Min H, et al. Small heterodimer partner blocks cardiac hypertrophy by interfering with GATA6 signaling. Circ Res. 2014;115:493-503 pubmed publisher..SHP reduced the protein amount of Gata6 and, by direct physical interaction with Gata6, interfered with the binding of Gata6 to GATA-binding elements in ..
- Zhang Y, Rath N, Hannenhalli S, Wang Z, Cappola T, Kimura S, et al. GATA and Nkx factors synergistically regulate tissue-specific gene expression and development in vivo. Development. 2007;134:189-98 pubmed..However, the relevance of this synergy has not been demonstrated in vivo. We show that Gata6-Titf1 (Gata6-Nkx2...
- Liu B, Wang X, Yu L, Zhou T, Wang X, Liu H. Simvastatin restores down-regulated GATA-6 expression in pulmonary hypertensive rats. Exp Lung Res. 2009;35:411-26 pubmed..These results indicate that the development and progression of pulmonary hypertension is prevented by simvastatin by up-regulating GATA-6 expression in the lung tissue. ..
- Zhang K, Haversat J, Mager J. CTR9/PAF1c regulates molecular lineage identity, histone H3K36 trimethylation and genomic imprinting during preimplantation development. Dev Biol. 2013;383:15-27 pubmed publisher..Ctr9 knockdown embryos, including Eomes, Elf5 and Sox2, while others are inappropriately expressed (Oct4, Nanog, Gata6, Fgf4 and Sox17)...
- Nakamura Y, Suzuki T, Sasano H. Transcription factor GATA-6 in the human adrenocortex: association with adrenal development and aging. Endocr J. 2007;54:783-9 pubmed
- Minami T, Murakami T, Horiuchi K, Miura M, Noguchi T, Miyazaki J, et al. Interaction between hex and GATA transcription factors in vascular endothelial cells inhibits flk-1/KDR-mediated vascular endothelial growth factor signaling. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:20626-35 pubmed
- Lan S, Yang X, Chen Z, Yang T, Xiang C, Zhang D, et al. Role of GATA-6 and Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 in Dexamethasone-Induced Cleft Palate Formation in Institute of Cancer Research Mice. J Craniofac Surg. 2016;27:1600-5 pubmed publisher..The results of authors' study suggested that dexamethasone-induced cleft palate formation involved apoptosis occurred in a dose-dependent manner. BMP-2 and GATA-6 mediated dexamethasone-induced cleft palate formation. ..
- Tsoyi K, Jang H, Nizamutdinova I, Park K, Kim Y, Kim H, et al. PTEN differentially regulates expressions of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 through PI3K/Akt/GSK-3?/GATA-6 signaling pathways in TNF-?-activated human endothelial cells. Atherosclerosis. 2010;213:115-21 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that PTEN selectively inhibits expression of VCAM-1 but not ICAM-1 through modulation of PI3K/Akt/GSK-3?/GATA-6 signaling cascade in TNF-?-treated ECs. ..
- van Berlo J, Elrod J, van den Hoogenhof M, York A, Aronow B, Duncan S, et al. The transcription factor GATA-6 regulates pathological cardiac hypertrophy. Circ Res. 2010;107:1032-40 pubmed publisher..Here, we performed a cardiomyocyte-specific conditional gene targeting approach for Gata6, as well as a transgenic approach to overexpress GATA-6 in the mouse heart. Deletion of Gata6-loxP with Nkx2...
- Shirvani S, Xiang F, Koibuchi N, Chin M. CHF1/Hey2 suppresses SM-MHC promoter activity through an interaction with GATA-6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;339:151-6 pubmed..Mutational analysis demonstrated that the bHLH domain is required for transcriptional repression. Our findings highlight an important transcriptional mechanism by which CHF1/Hey2 may affect smooth-muscle cell phenotype. ..
- Di Lisi R, Millino C, Calabria E, Altruda F, Schiaffino S, Ausoni S. Combinatorial cis-acting elements control tissue-specific activation of the cardiac troponin I gene in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:25371-80 pubmed..These results indicate that the ability of the cardiac troponin I proximal promoter to target expression of a downstream gene in the heart is also maintained when the transgene is integrated into the genome. ..