Genomes and Genes
fibroblast growth factor 9
Gene Symbol: fibroblast growth factor 9
Description: fibroblast growth factor 9
Alias: fibroblast growth factor 9, FGF-9, GAF, HBGF-9, glia-activating factor
Products: fibroblast growth factor 9
- Wilhelm D, Martinson F, Bradford S, Wilson M, Combes A, Beverdam A, et al. Sertoli cell differentiation is induced both cell-autonomously and through prostaglandin signaling during mammalian sex determination. Dev Biol. 2005;287:111-24 pubmed..Our data indicate a mechanism whereby Sry uses both a cell-autonomous mechanism and a PGD2-mediated signaling mechanism to stimulate expression of Sox9 and induce the differentiation of Sertoli cells in vivo. ..
- Schmahl J, Kim Y, Colvin J, Ornitz D, Capel B. Fgf9 induces proliferation and nuclear localization of FGFR2 in Sertoli precursors during male sex determination. Development. 2004;131:3627-36 pubmed..The nuclear localization of FGFR2 coincides with the initiation of Sry expression and the nuclear localization of SOX9 during the early differentiation of Sertoli cells and the determination of male fate. ..
- Cinaroglu A, Ozmen Y, Ozdemir A, Ozcan F, Ergorul C, Cayirlioglu P, et al. Expression and possible function of fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) and its cognate receptors FGFR2 and FGFR3 in postnatal and adult retina. J Neurosci Res. 2005;79:329-39 pubmed..These data suggest a role for FGF9 in retinal differentiation and maturation, possibly representing a neuronally derived factor acting upon glial (and other) cells. ..
- White A, Xu J, Yin Y, Smith C, Schmid G, Ornitz D. FGF9 and SHH signaling coordinate lung growth and development through regulation of distinct mesenchymal domains. Development. 2006;133:1507-17 pubmed
- Colvin J, White A, Pratt S, Ornitz D. Lung hypoplasia and neonatal death in Fgf9-null mice identify this gene as an essential regulator of lung mesenchyme. Development. 2001;128:2095-106 pubmed..We suggest a model whereby FGF9 signaling from the epithelium and reciprocal FGF10 signaling from the mesenchyme coordinately regulate epithelial airway branching and organ size during lung embryogenesis. ..
- Lavine K, White A, Park C, Smith C, Choi K, Long F, et al. Fibroblast growth factor signals regulate a wave of Hedgehog activation that is essential for coronary vascular development. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1651-66 pubmed..Consistent with this, activation of HH signaling in the adult heart leads to an increase in coronary vessel density. ..
- Antoine M, Wirz W, Tag C, Gressner A, Marvituna M, Wycislo M, et al. Expression and function of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) 9 in hepatic stellate cells and its role in toxic liver injury. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;361:335-41 pubmed..Our findings suggest that HSC FGF9 provide a paracrine mitogenic signal to hepatocytes during acute liver injury, while the autocrine FGF9 signaling appears to be not sufficient to induce cell proliferation. ..
- Ha L, Ichikawa T, Anver M, Dickins R, Lowe S, Sharpless N, et al. ARF functions as a melanoma tumor suppressor by inducing p53-independent senescence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:10968-73 pubmed..Thus, therapeutics designed to restore wild-type p53 function may be insufficient to counter melanoma and other malignancies in which ARF holds p53-independent tumor suppressor activity. ..
- Zhang X, Stappenbeck T, White A, Lavine K, Gordon J, Ornitz D. Reciprocal epithelial-mesenchymal FGF signaling is required for cecal development. Development. 2006;133:173-80 pubmed..Thus, these data add to our understanding of FGF-mediated reciprocal epithelial-mesenchymal signaling. ..
- Jin C, Wang F, Wu X, Yu C, Luo Y, McKeehan W. Directionally specific paracrine communication mediated by epithelial FGF9 to stromal FGFR3 in two-compartment premalignant prostate tumors. Cancer Res. 2004;64:4555-62 pubmed
- Tucker A, Al Khamis A, Ferguson C, Bach I, Rosenfeld M, Sharpe P. Conserved regulation of mesenchymal gene expression by Fgf-8 in face and limb development. Development. 1999;126:221-8 pubmed..Regulation of gene expression by Fgf8 in association with CD44 is thus conserved between limb and mandibular arch development. ..
- Lavine K, Yu K, White A, Zhang X, Smith C, Partanen J, et al. Endocardial and epicardial derived FGF signals regulate myocardial proliferation and differentiation in vivo. Dev Cell. 2005;8:85-95 pubmed..FGFs thus constitute all or part of the epicardial signal regulating myocardial growth and differentiation. ..
- Aurbach E, Inui E, Turner C, Hagenauer M, Prater K, Li J, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 9 is a novel modulator of negative affect. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:11953-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that the relative levels of FGF9 in relation to other members of the FGF family may prove key to understanding vulnerability or resilience in affective disorders. ..
- Takahashi H, Friedmacher F, Fujiwara N, Hofmann A, Puri P. Pulmonary FGF9 gene expression is downregulated during the pseudoglandular stage in nitrofen-induced hypoplastic lungs. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2014;24:75-8 pubmed publisher..b>Fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) is an essential component of the gene network that regulates lung development...
- Agrotis A, Kanellakis P, Kostolias G, Di Vitto G, Wei C, Hannan R, et al. Proliferation of neointimal smooth muscle cells after arterial injury. Dependence on interactions between fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 and fibroblast growth factor-9. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42221-9 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that, although multiple FGFRs are induced in neointimal SMCs following arterial injury, specific interactions between distinctly spliced FGFR-2 isoforms and FGF-9 contribute to the proliferation of these SMCs. ..
- De Langhe S, Carraro G, Tefft D, Li C, Xu X, Chai Y, et al. Formation and differentiation of multiple mesenchymal lineages during lung development is regulated by beta-catenin signaling. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1516 pubmed publisher..Taken together these findings reveal a hierarchy of gene activity involving ss-catenin and PITX, as important regulators of mesenchymal cell proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Li K, Pan J, Wang J, Liu F, Wang L. MiR-665 regulates VSMCs proliferation via targeting FGF9 and MEF2D and modulating activities of Wnt/?-catenin signaling. Am J Transl Res. 2017;9:4402-4414 pubmed..The miR-665 targeted-3'UTR of fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) and myocyte enhancer factor 2D (MEF2D) was confirmed by luciferase reporter assay...
- Dong N, Wang W, Tian J, Xie Z, Lv B, Dai J, et al. MicroRNA-182 prevents vascular smooth muscle cell dedifferentiation via FGF9/PDGFR? signaling. Int J Mol Med. 2017;39:791-798 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that miR?182 may be a novel SMC phenotypic marker and a modulator that may be used to prevent SMC dedifferentiation via FGF9/PDGFR? signaling. ..
- Huang J, Chuang J. Fibroblast growth factor 9 upregulates heme oxygenase-1 and gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase expression to protect neurons from 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium toxicity. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;49:1099-108 pubmed publisher..Our previous studies found that fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) prevented 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium (MPP(+))-induced nigral dopaminergic neuron death and was ..
- Drummond A, Tellbach M, Dyson M, Findlay J. Fibroblast growth factor-9, a local regulator of ovarian function. Endocrinology. 2007;148:3711-21 pubmedb>Fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) is widely expressed in embryos and fetuses and has been shown to be involved in male sex determination, testicular cord formation, and Sertoli cell differentiation...
- Arnaud Dabernat S, Kritzik M, Kayali A, Zhang Y, Liu G, Ungles C, et al. FGFR3 is a negative regulator of the expansion of pancreatic epithelial cells. Diabetes. 2007;56:96-106 pubmed..Consequently, this study suggests that FGFR3 participates in regulating pancreatic growth during the emergence of mature islet cells. ..
- Miyamoto M, Naruo K, Seko C, Matsumoto S, Kondo T, Kurokawa T. Molecular cloning of a novel cytokine cDNA encoding the ninth member of the fibroblast growth factor family, which has a unique secretion property. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:4251-9 pubmedGlia-activating factor (GAF) is a novel heparin-binding growth factor purified from the culture supernatant of a human glioma cell line. It shows a spectrum of activity slightly different from those of other known growth factors...
- Yin Y, White A, Huh S, Hilton M, Kanazawa H, Long F, et al. An FGF-WNT gene regulatory network controls lung mesenchyme development. Dev Biol. 2008;319:426-36 pubmed publisher..b>Fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) is a critical regulator of lung mesenchymal growth; however, upstream mechanisms that modulate ..
- Puk O, Moller G, Geerlof A, Krowiorz K, Ahmad N, Wagner S, et al. The pathologic effect of a novel neomorphic Fgf9(Y162C) allele is restricted to decreased vision and retarded lens growth. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23678 pubmed publisher..Our data point to a role of Fgf9 signalling in primary and secondary lens fiber cell growth. The results underline the importance of allelic series to fully understand multiple functions of a gene. ..
- Pirvola U, Zhang X, Mantela J, Ornitz D, Ylikoski J. Fgf9 signaling regulates inner ear morphogenesis through epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Dev Biol. 2004;273:350-60 pubmed..Together, these data show that Fgf9 signaling is required for inner ear morphogenesis. ..
- Kim Y, Kobayashi A, Sekido R, DiNapoli L, Brennan J, Chaboissier M, et al. Fgf9 and Wnt4 act as antagonistic signals to regulate mammalian sex determination. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e187 pubmed..We show through gain- and loss-of-function experiments that fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9) and WNT4 act as opposing signals to regulate sex determination...
- DiNapoli L, Batchvarov J, Capel B. FGF9 promotes survival of germ cells in the fetal testis. Development. 2006;133:1519-27 pubmed..FGF9 is necessary for 11.5 dpc XY gonocyte survival and is the earliest reported factor with a sex-specific role in regulating germ cell survival. ..
- Lindner M, ThÃ¼mmler K, Arthur A, Brunner S, Elliott C, McElroy D, et al. Fibroblast growth factor signalling in multiple sclerosis: inhibition of myelination and induction of pro-inflammatory environment by FGF9. Brain. 2015;138:1875-93 pubmed publisher..lesions in patients with multiple sclerosis are associated with increased glial expression of fibroblast growth factor 9 (FGF9), which we demonstrate inhibits myelination and remyelination in vitro...