Gene Symbol: Fads1
Description: fatty acid desaturase 1
Alias: fatty acid desaturase 1, D5D, delta(5) desaturase, delta(5) fatty acid desaturase
- Georges B, Blond J, Maniongui C, Bezard J. Effect of simvastatin on desaturase activities in liver from lean and obese Zucker rats. Lipids. 1993;28:63-5 pubmed..The changes were not reflected in the fatty acid composition of liver microsomal phospholipids when expressed as micrograms fatty acid/g of liver. ..
- Brenner R, Rimoldi O, Lombardo Y, González M, Bernasconi A, Chicco A, et al. Desaturase activities in rat model of insulin resistance induced by a sucrose-rich diet. Lipids. 2003;38:733-42 pubmed..It appears that neither blood insulin levels nor insulin resistance is a factor affecting the delta9, delta6, and delta5 desaturase changes in mRNA and activity found with the sucrose-rich diet. ..
- Ves Losada A, Brenner R. Fatty acid delta 5 desaturation in rat liver cell nuclei. Mol Cell Biochem. 1995;142:163-70 pubmed..This step would be essential in nuclear desaturation since when ATP and/or CoA (necessary for the acylation reaction) are omitted from the incubation mixture, the desaturation reaction does not take place. ..
- Mills D, Huang Y, Narce M, Poisson J. Psychosocial stress, catecholamines, and essential fatty acid metabolism in rats. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1994;205:56-61 pubmed..They also suggest that epinephrine is capable of altering the in vivo metabolism of essential fatty acids in the rat. ..
- Irazu C, Gonzalez Rodríguez S, Brenner R. Delta 5 desaturase activity in rat kidney microsomes. Mol Cell Biochem. 1993;129:31-7 pubmed..Contrary to a report but in accordance to others, the present results suggest that rat kidneys can synthesize arachidonic acid at least to satisfy partially their needs for eicosanoid production. ..
- Cho H, Nakamura M, Clarke S. Cloning, expression, and fatty acid regulation of the human delta-5 desaturase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:37335-9 pubmed..Finally, a BLAST and Genemap search of the human genome revealed that the Delta-5 and Delta-6 desaturase genes reside in reverse orientation on chromosome 11 and that they are separated by <11,000 base pairs. ..
- Zolfaghari R, Cifelli C, Banta M, Ross A. Fatty acid delta(5)-desaturase mRNA is regulated by dietary vitamin A and exogenous retinoic acid in liver of adult rats. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001;391:8-15 pubmedDelta(5)-Desaturase (D5D) catalyzes the Delta(5,6) desaturation of dietary essential fatty acids of the n-6 and n-3 series...
- Extier A, Langelier B, Perruchot M, Guesnet P, Van Veldhoven P, Lavialle M, et al. Gender affects liver desaturase expression in a rat model of n-3 fatty acid repletion. J Nutr Biochem. 2010;21:180-7 pubmed publisher..Our results support the hypothesis on hormonal regulation of PUFA metabolism, which should be taken into account for specific nutritional recommendations. ..
- Wadhwani N, Manglekar R, Dangat K, Kulkarni A, Joshi S. Effect of maternal micronutrients (folic acid, vitamin B12) and omega 3 fatty acids on liver fatty acid desaturases and transport proteins in Wistar rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2012;86:21-7 pubmed publisher..Our data for the first time indicates that maternal micronutrients differentially alter the activity and expression of fatty acid desaturases in the liver. ..
- Maniongui C, Blond J, Ulmann L, Durand G, Poisson J, Bezard J. Age-related changes in delta 6 and delta 5 desaturase activities in rat liver microsomes. Lipids. 1993;28:291-7 pubmed..In particular, arachidonic acid content in old rats was slightly higher than in young rats whereas contents in linoleic and docosahexaenoic acids varied little throughout the life span.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Nishida S, Segawa T, Murai I, Nakagawa S. Long-term melatonin administration reduces hyperinsulinemia and improves the altered fatty-acid compositions in type 2 diabetic rats via the restoration of Delta-5 desaturase activity. J Pineal Res. 2002;32:26-33 pubmed..Thus, subcutaneous implantation of a melatonin-releasing pellet thus resulted in improved lipid metabolism in diabetic rats, probably through restored insulin resistance. ..
- Savelli J, Narce M, Fustier V, Poisson J. Desaturase activities are depleted before and after weaning in liver microsomes of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2002;66:541-7 pubmed..Such a loss of desaturase activities may be under the control of hormones involved in the regulation of SHR blood pressure. ..
- Montanaro M, Bernasconi A, González M, Rimoldi O, Brenner R. Effects of fenofibrate and insulin on the biosynthesis of unsaturated fatty acids in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005;73:369-78 pubmed..The 20:4/18:2 ratio was maintained. Fenofibrate increased palmitic acid, but decreased stearic acid percentage in liver lipids. ..
- Rodriguez Cruz M, Tovar A, Palacios González B, Del Prado M, Torres N. Synthesis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in lactating mammary gland: role of Delta5 and Delta6 desaturases, SREBP-1, PPARalpha, and PGC-1. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:553-60 pubmed..These results indicate that the lactating mammary gland has the capacity to synthesize PUFAs and can be regulated by the lipid content in the diet. ..
- Dreesen T, Adamson A, Tekle M, Tang C, Cho H, Clarke S, et al. A newly discovered member of the fatty acid desaturase gene family: a non-coding, antisense RNA gene to delta5-desaturase. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006;75:97-106 pubmed..These findings support a significant role for reverse Delta5-desaturase as a natural antisense regulator of Delta5-desaturase. ..