Gene Symbol: Fads1
Description: fatty acid desaturase 1
Alias: fatty acid desaturase 1, D5D, delta(5) desaturase, delta(5) fatty acid desaturase
- Maniongui C, Blond J, Ulmann L, Durand G, Poisson J, Bezard J. Age-related changes in delta 6 and delta 5 desaturase activities in rat liver microsomes. Lipids. 1993;28:291-7 pubmed..In particular, arachidonic acid content in old rats was slightly higher than in young rats whereas contents in linoleic and docosahexaenoic acids varied little throughout the life span.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Nishida S, Segawa T, Murai I, Nakagawa S. Long-term melatonin administration reduces hyperinsulinemia and improves the altered fatty-acid compositions in type 2 diabetic rats via the restoration of Delta-5 desaturase activity. J Pineal Res. 2002;32:26-33 pubmed..Thus, subcutaneous implantation of a melatonin-releasing pellet thus resulted in improved lipid metabolism in diabetic rats, probably through restored insulin resistance. ..
- Savelli J, Narce M, Fustier V, Poisson J. Desaturase activities are depleted before and after weaning in liver microsomes of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2002;66:541-7 pubmed..Such a loss of desaturase activities may be under the control of hormones involved in the regulation of SHR blood pressure. ..
- Montanaro M, Bernasconi A, González M, Rimoldi O, Brenner R. Effects of fenofibrate and insulin on the biosynthesis of unsaturated fatty acids in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005;73:369-78 pubmed..The 20:4/18:2 ratio was maintained. Fenofibrate increased palmitic acid, but decreased stearic acid percentage in liver lipids. ..
- Rodriguez Cruz M, Tovar A, Palacios González B, Del Prado M, Torres N. Synthesis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in lactating mammary gland: role of Delta5 and Delta6 desaturases, SREBP-1, PPARalpha, and PGC-1. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:553-60 pubmed..These results indicate that the lactating mammary gland has the capacity to synthesize PUFAs and can be regulated by the lipid content in the diet. ..
- Dreesen T, Adamson A, Tekle M, Tang C, Cho H, Clarke S, et al. A newly discovered member of the fatty acid desaturase gene family: a non-coding, antisense RNA gene to delta5-desaturase. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2006;75:97-106 pubmed..These findings support a significant role for reverse Delta5-desaturase as a natural antisense regulator of Delta5-desaturase. ..