Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: F5
Description: coagulation factor V
Alias: Ac2-120, coagulation factor V, coagulation factor V (proaccelerin, labile factor)
- Prevalence of resistance against activated protein C resulting from factor V Leiden is significantly increased in myocardial infarction: investigation of 507 patients with myocardial infarctionKatharina Middendorf
Medical Clinic I, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Am Heart J 147:897-904. 2004A point mutation in the gene encoding coagulation factor V is a cause of resistance against activated protein C. The presence of factor V Leiden is linked to 50% of congenital defects causing venous thrombosis...
- Arterial thrombosis resulting in amputation in a child with poorly controlled type 1 diabetes and heterozygous Factor V Leiden mutationMichael J Haller
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Pediatr Diabetes 7:229-31. 2006..This report emphasizes the need to test for thrombophilic defects in children with thrombosis or with a family history of thrombosis. Good metabolic control is especially important in children with T1DM and known thrombophilic defects...
- Blood coagulationLucy A Norris
Coagulation Research Laboratory, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Trinity College Centre for Health Sciences, St James s Hospital, 8, Dublin, Ireland
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 17:369-83. 2003..Both genetic and environmental factors can influence the activation of coagulation and may predispose affected individuals to thrombosis...
- Anti-c5a ameliorates coagulation/fibrinolytic protein changes in a rat model of sepsisInes J Laudes
Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Am J Pathol 160:1867-75. 2002..Most of these parameters were reversed in CLP rats that had been treated with anti-C5a. Production of C5a during sepsis may directly or indirectly cause hemostatic defects that can be reduced by blockade of C5a...
- Coexistence of a novel homozygous nonsense mutation in exon 13 of the factor V gene with the homozygous Leiden mutation in two unrelated patients with severe factor V deficiencyR van Wijk
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Haematol 114:871-4. 2001..predicting the synthesis of a truncated factor V (FV) molecule was identified in exon 13 of the human coagulation factor V gene in two unrelated Italian probands with undetectable plasma levels of FV antigen and activity...
- The concentrations of EGFR, LRG1, ITIH4, and F5 in serum correlate with the number of colonic adenomas in ApcPirc/+ ratsMelanie M Ivancic
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 7:1160-9. 2014..EGFR, LRG1, ITIH4, and F5 displayed the most robust tumor-associated protein expression changes over time...
- Pulmonary fibrosis is increased in mice carrying the factor V Leiden mutation following bleomycin injuryZ Xu
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor 49109 0644, USA
Thromb Haemost 85:441-4. 2001..01 for both comparisons). These data demonstrate a strong relationship between aPC resistance and the pulmonary fibrosis that occurs following inflammatory lung injury...
- Spontaneous thrombosis in mice carrying the factor V Leiden mutationJ Cui
Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor MI, USA
Blood 96:4222-6. 2000A polymorphism in coagulation factor V, factor V Leiden (FVL), is the major known genetic risk factor for thrombosis in humans. Approximately 10% of mutation carriers experience clinically significant thrombosis in their lifetime...
- Increased coagulation activity and genetic polymorphisms in the F5, F10 and EPCR genes are associated with breast cancer: a case-control studyMari Tinholt
Department of Medical Genetics, Oslo University Hospital and University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
BMC Cancer 14:845. 2014..To investigate the molecular mechanisms controlling cancer and hemostasis, we conducted a case-control study of genotypic and phenotypic variables of the tissue factor (TF) pathway of coagulation in breast cancer...
- Incidence of factor V Leiden in patients with acute myocardial infarctionM S Gowda
University of MissouriKansas City, Mid America Heart Institute and Department of Pathology, St Lukes Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
J Thromb Thrombolysis 9:43-5. 2000The genetic defect of coagulation factor V known as factor V Leiden produces a resistance to degradation by activated protein C (APC) and increases the risk of venous thromboembolism...
- Prevalence of Hereditary Thrombophilia in Patients Older Than 75 Years With Venous Thromboembolism Referred for Thrombophilia ScreeningVirginie Siguret
UniversitéParis Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, INSERM UMR S 1140, France Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Service d Hematologie Biologique, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, France
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 70:977-81. 2015....
- Survival advantage of heterozygous factor V Leiden carriers in murine sepsisE Kerschen
Blood Research Institute, BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Thromb Haemost 13:1073-80. 2015The high allelic frequency of the prothrombotic Leiden polymorphism in human blood coagulation factor V (FV) has been speculated to reflect positive selection during evolution...
- How it all starts: Initiation of the clotting cascadeStephanie A Smith
a Department of Biochemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 50:326-36. 2015..This review focuses on how the initiation phase of the blood clotting cascade is regulated in both pathways, with a discussion of the contributions of these pathways to hemostasis versus thrombosis. ..
- Preferential consumption of coagulation factors I, V, and VIII in rat endotoxemiaK Yamaguchi
Department of Trauma and Critical Care, Yokosuka Kyosai Hospital, Kanagawa, Japan
Shock 14:535-43. 2000..The extrinsic coagulation pathway was dominantly activated, whereas the intrinsic coagulation pathway, including plasma kallikrein-kinin system, played less important role in the ETX-induced consumption coagulopathy in rat...
- Factor V Leiden mutation is a risk factor for cerebral venous thrombosis: a case-control study of 55 patientsP Ludemann
Department of Neurology, University of Münster Germany
Stroke 29:2507-10. 1998..To better define the relevance of the FVL mutation in conjunction with additional risk factors in CVT, we conducted the present case-control study...
- Coagulation factor V gene mutation increases the risk of venous thrombosis in behçet's diseaseA Gul
Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul Medical School, Turkey
Br J Rheumatol 35:1178-80. 1996We investigated the prevalence of the coagulation factor V gene G1691A mutation in 64 patients with Behçet's disease (BD) and in 107 apparently healthy individuals. The mutation was present in the heterozygous state in 37...
- Tissue factor and factor v involvement in rat peritoneal fibrosisHiroki Saito
Division of Molecular Medicine, University of Shizuoka School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shizuoka, Japan
Perit Dial Int 29:340-51. 2009..The present study was conducted to clarify the contribution of factor Xa through tissue factor and factor V expression in peritoneal fibrosis...
- Lack of association between inherited thrombophilic risk factors and idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss in Italian patientsGabriella Cadoni
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:195-200. 2006..We investigated the presence of congenital thrombophilic risk factors in a population of consecutive Italian patients affected by idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL)...
- The role of factor V Leiden and prothrombin G20210A mutations in sudden sensorineural hearing lossKemal Gorur
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Mersin School of Medicine, Mersin, Turkey
Otol Neurotol 26:599-601. 2005..To investigate the incidence of factor V Leiden and prothrombin G20210A in sudden sensorineural hearing loss patients...
- Quercetin prevents oxidative stress in cirrhotic ratsPavanato Maria Amália
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Federal University of Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 52:2616-21. 2007..Quercetin (50 mg/kg/day) successfully attenuated these effects of CCl(4). We conclude that quercetin has beneficial effects on liver fibrosis in rats by enhancing antioxidant enzyme activity and decreasing the pro-oxidant effect...
- Genetic and acquired prothrombotic risk factors and sudden hearing lossPasquale Capaccio
Department of Otorhinolaryngological and Ophthalmological Sciences, Policlinico Foundation I R C C S, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Laryngoscope 117:547-51. 2007..A number of inherited prothrombotic risk factors and their related genetic alterations have recently been correlated with vascular disorders...
- Increased prevalence of factor V Leiden in patients with retinal vein occlusion and under 60 years of ageSophie Arsene
Laboratoire d Hemostase, Hopital Trousseau, CHU de Tours, 37044 Tours Cedex 1, France
Thromb Haemost 94:101-6. 2005..027). In conclusion, this study suggests a role of FV Leiden in the occurrence of RVO in patients younger than 60 years who exhibit fewer acquired vascular risk factors than in older patients...
- Biosynthesis of factor V by normal adult rat hepatocytesM Mazzorana
INSERM U 49, Hopital de Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Thromb Res 54:655-75. 1989The synthesis of coagulation factor V was investigated in isolated rat hepatocytes maintained in long-term primary culture. Two culture conditions were compared...
- Factor V Leiden and prothrombin gene G20210A mutations in Italian patients with Behçet's disease and deep vein thrombosisMauro Silingardi
Ospedale di Reggio Emilia, Regio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 51:177-83. 2004..To evaluate the frequency and type of vascular lesions and to study the association of factor V gene G1691A (Leiden) and prothrombin gene G20210A polymorphisms with venous thrombosis in Italian patients with Behçet's disease (BD)...
- Factor V Leiden mutation is associated with ocular involvement in Behçet diseaseD H Verity
United Medical and Dental Schools of St Thomas and Guy s Hospitals, London, England
Am J Ophthalmol 128:352-6. 1999..We therefore investigated the prevalence of this mutation in patients with Behçet disease to determine its contribution to the presence and severity of ocular disease...
- Factor V Leiden and prothrombin 20210 A mutations in patients with central and branch retinal vein occlusionD Kalayci
Department of Ophthalmology, Ankara Numune Hospital, Turkey
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 77:622-4. 1999..The role of factor V Leiden and prothrombin 20210 A mutations has been investigated in patients with central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO), hemispheric retinal vein occlusion (HRVO), and branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO)...
- Activated protein C resistance in anterior ischaemic optic neuropathyValeria Nagy
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical and Health Science Centre, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:140-3. 2004Protein C is a major component of the natural anticoagulant pathway. Resistance of coagulation factor V (FV) to activated protein C (APC), mostly due to FV Leiden mutation, is the most common cause of inherited thrombophilia...
- The factor V Leiden (R506Q) mutation and risk of thrombosis in renal transplant recipientsA B Irish
Oxford Transplant Centre, The Churchill Hospital, Headington, United Kingdom
Transplantation 64:604-7. 1997..We investigated whether resistance to activated protein C due to a mutation in the factor V gene (FV Leiden/FV506Q) may predispose patients to thrombosis...
- Role of thrombotic risk factors in end-stage renal diseaseGaurav Tripathi
Department of Urology, CSSMU, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 16:132-40. 2010..We have investigated the associations of these gene polymorphisms in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Thrombotic gene polymorphisms and postoperative outcome after coronary artery bypass graft surgeryOzan Emiroglu
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Nicosia State Hospital, Nalbantoglu Lefkosa Devlet Hastanesi, Ortakoy, Nicosia, Cyprus
J Cardiothorac Surg 6:120. 2011....
- Thrombophilic disorders: a real threat to patients with end-stage renal disease on hemodialysis and at the time of renal transplantationSarra Klai
Unit of Molecular Biology, Department of Hematology, Military Hospital of Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 23:406-10. 2012..These results will serve as a basis for anticoagulant prophylaxis aimed at preventing kidney rejection and renal allograft thrombosis...
- Genetic risk factors for thrombosis in systemic lupus erythematosusRachel Kaiser
UCSF Division of Rheumatology, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Rheumatol 39:1603-10. 2012..Thrombosis is a serious complication of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). We investigated whether genetic variants implicated in thrombosis pathways are associated with thrombosis among 2 ethnically diverse SLE cohorts...
- Thrombophilia and avascular necrosis of femoral head in kidney allograft recipientsYakup Ekmekci
Department of Nephrology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Ibni Sina Hospital, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:3555-8. 2006..We aimed to search for the relation of both prothrombin gene G20210A mutation and factor V G1691A (factor V Leiden) mutation with AVN among kidney transplant recipients...
- Renal vascular sclerosis is associated with inherited thrombophiliasR L Goforth
Department of Pathology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa, IA, USA
Kidney Int 70:743-50. 2006..001 compared to controls). These findings indicate that renal vascular lesions, in the absence of diabetes, hypertension, or smoking appears to be associated with inherited thrombophilias...
- Predictors of vascular access thrombosis among patients on the cadaveric renal transplantation waiting listB Akman
Department of Nephrology, Baskent University Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Transplant Proc 38:413-5. 2006....
- Thrombophilia is significantly associated with severe preeclampsia: results of a large-scale, case-controlled studyGiorgio Mello
The Maternal Fetal Medicine High Risk Pregnancies Unit, University of Florence, Italy
Hypertension 46:1270-4. 2005..Thrombophilia also augments the risk of life-threatening maternal complications and adverse perinatal outcomes in preeclamptic patients...
- Prevalence and association of the factor V Leiden and prothrombin G20210A in healthy subjects and patients with venous thromboembolismD Coen
Clinical Institute of Laboratory Diagnostics, Zagreb University Hospital Center, Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 42:488-92. 2001..To determine the prevalences of factor V Leiden and the G20210A mutation in the prothrombin gene (PT20210A) and the frequency of their association in healthy subjects and in patients with venous thromboembolism (VTE)...
- Effect of dienogest on bleeding time, coagulation, fibrinolysis, and platelet aggregation in female ratsH Nobukata
Toxicology Laboratory, Mochida Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Fujieda, Shizuoka, Japan
Toxicol Lett 104:93-101. 1999..In comparison with MPA and danazol, dienogest may induce a relatively high incidence of bleeding in patients with endometriosis partially because of its minimal effect on hemostasis...
- Genetic polymorphisms associated with thrombophilia and vascular disease in women with unexplained late intrauterine fetal death: a multicenter studyLukas Hefler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vienna University Medical School, Vienna, Austria
J Soc Gynecol Investig 11:42-4. 2004..We determined whether gene polymorphisms associated with thrombophilia and vascular disease as etiologic factors were involved in the pathogenesis of pregnancy-associated complications...
- Differential effects of TAK-442, a novel orally active direct factor Xa inhibitor, and ximelagatran, a thrombin inhibitor, on factor V-mediated feedback on coagulation cascade and bleedingNoriko Konishi
Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Thromb Haemost 104:504-13. 2010..These results suggest that the differential effects of the two agents on FV-mediated amplification of thrombin generation may underlie the observation of a wider therapeutic window for TAK-442 than for ximelagatran...
- Hereditary and acquired thrombotic risk factors for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionChieh L Wong
Haematology Department, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College Academic Health Science Centre, London, UK
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 21:201-6. 2010..The results indicate different pathophysiologies for CTEPH and non-CTEPH. The elevation of FVIII and increased incidence of FVL gene polymorphisms in the CTEPH group support a primary role of thrombosis in aetiology...
- Prothrombin and risk of venous thromboembolism, ischemic heart disease and ischemic cerebrovascular disease in the general populationMaren Weischer
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Herlev Hospital, Copenhagen University Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Atherosclerosis 208:480-3. 2010....
- Role of factor V Leiden and prothrombin 20210A in patients with retinal artery occlusionM Weger
Department of Ophthalmology Karl Franzens University Graz, Austria
Eye (Lond) 17:731-4. 2003..The purpose of the present study was therefore to investigate a possible association between factor V Leiden, prothrombin 20210A, and retinal artery occlusion...
- Coagulation in the mesangial area promotes ECM accumulation through factor V expression in MsPGN in ratsNing Liu
Division of Nephrology, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287:F612-20. 2004..The present results suggest that ECM components accumulation may progress in accordance with coagulation in the mesangial area through mesangial factor V expression and upregulated expression of TGF-beta and CTGF in MsPGN...
- Factor V Leiden and the risk for venous thromboembolism in the adult Danish populationKlaus Juul
Herlev University Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
Ann Intern Med 140:330-7. 2004..Odds ratios for venous thromboembolism (deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) derived from case-control studies range from 3 to 16 for heterozygotes compared with noncarriers and up to 79 for homozygotes compared with noncarriers...
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome associated with heterozygous factor V gene mutation: an unusual combination resulting in an acute coronary syndrome and recurrent cerebral stroke-a case reportMarkus G Engelmann
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Munich, Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Angiology 55:221-5. 2004..In patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome and recurrent thromboembolic episodes, other thrombophilic diseases, including factor V mutations, should be considered, and long-term coagulation should be contemplated...
- Influence of the factor V Leiden mutation on infectious disease susceptibility and outcome: a population-based studyThomas L Benfield
Department of Infectious Diseases, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
J Infect Dis 192:1851-7. 2005The effect of the coagulation factor V Leiden mutation on infectious disease susceptibility and outcome is controversial.
- Factor V leiden homozygosity, dyspnea, and reduced pulmonary functionKlaus Juul
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Herlev University Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
Arch Intern Med 165:2032-6. 2005..We tested the hypothesis that factor V Leiden homozygosity is associated with pulmonary symptoms and signs...
- Coagulation factor VStefano Duga
Department of Biology and Genetics for Medical Sciences, University of Milan, via Viotti 3 5, 20133 Milan, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:1393-9. 2004..This review focuses on the structure, function (procoagulant and anticoagulant), regulation (activation and inactivation) of FV as well as on the genetic defects associated with mutations in the FV gene...
- Factor V Leiden: a disorder of factor V anticoagulant functionElisabetta Castoldi
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Hematol 11:176-81. 2004..The present review covers the discovery, the physiological significance and the structural requirements of the APC-cofactor activity of FV...