Genomes and Genes
eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase
Gene Symbol: eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase
Description: eukaryotic elongation factor-2 kinase
Alias: SMEF2K, eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase, calcium/calmodulin-dependent eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase, eEF-2 kinase, eEF-2K, elongation factor 2 kinase, eukaroytic elongation factor 2 kinase
Products: eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase
- Asaki C, Usuda N, Nakazawa A, Kametani K, Suzuki T. Localization of translational components at the ultramicroscopic level at postsynaptic sites of the rat brain. Brain Res. 2003;972:168-76 pubmed..The results also suggest the presence of ER-associated type of translational machinery at the postsynaptic sites. ..
- Terai K, Hiramoto Y, Masaki M, Sugiyama S, Kuroda T, Hori M, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase protects cardiomyocytes against hypoxic injury through attenuation of endoplasmic reticulum stress. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9554-75 pubmed
- Rose A, Alsted T, Jensen T, Kobberø J, Maarbjerg S, Jensen J, et al. A Ca(2+)-calmodulin-eEF2K-eEF2 signalling cascade, but not AMPK, contributes to the suppression of skeletal muscle protein synthesis during contractions. J Physiol. 2009;587:1547-63 pubmed publisher..In summary, in fast-twitch skeletal muscle, the inhibition of eEF2 activity by phosphorylation downstream of Ca(2+)-CaM-eEF2K signalling partially contributes to the suppression of protein synthesis during exercise/contractions. ..
- Hizli A, Chi Y, Swanger J, Carter J, Liao Y, Welcker M, et al. Phosphorylation of eukaryotic elongation factor 2 (eEF2) by cyclin A-cyclin-dependent kinase 2 regulates its inhibition by eEF2 kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:596-604 pubmed publisher..Because all known eEF2 regulation is exerted via eEF2K, S595 phosphorylation may globally couple the cell cycle machinery to regulatory pathways that impact eEF2K activity. ..
- Redpath N, Price N, Proud C. Cloning and expression of cDNA encoding protein synthesis elongation factor-2 kinase. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:17547-54 pubmed..Northern blot analysis demonstrated that eEF-2K mRNA is expressed in a number of different tissues and that it may exist in multiple forms. ..
- Wiseman S, Shimizu Y, Palfrey C, Nairn A. Proteasomal degradation of eukaryotic elongation factor-2 kinase (EF2K) is regulated by cAMP-PKA signaling and the SCF?TRCP ubiquitin E3 ligase. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17803-11 pubmed publisher..We propose that the proteasomal degradation of EF2K provides a mechanistic link between activity-dependent protein synthesis and degradation. ..
- Davidkova G, Carroll R. Characterization of the role of microtubule-associated protein 1B in metabotropic glutamate receptor-mediated endocytosis of AMPA receptors in hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2007;27:13273-8 pubmed..Although interfering with protein synthesis using short interfering RNA (siRNA) to eEF2 kinase (eukaryotic elongation factor 2 kinase) blocked the dendritic MAP1B increase by both pathways, it selectively blocked the DHPG- and not ..
- Horman S, Browne G, Krause U, Patel J, Vertommen D, Bertrand L, et al. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase leads to the phosphorylation of elongation factor 2 and an inhibition of protein synthesis. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1419-23 pubmed..Therefore, the activation of eEF2 kinase by AMPK, resulting in the phosphorylation and inactivation of eEF2, provides a novel mechanism for the inhibition of protein synthesis. ..
- Diggle T, Redpath N, Heesom K, Denton R. Regulation of protein-synthesis elongation-factor-2 kinase by cAMP in adipocytes. Biochem J. 1998;336 ( Pt 3):525-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel mechanism for the control of protein synthesis by hormones which act by increasing cytoplasmic cAMP. ..
- Verpelli C, Piccoli G, Zibetti C, Zanchi A, Gardoni F, Huang K, et al. Synaptic activity controls dendritic spine morphology by modulating eEF2-dependent BDNF synthesis. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5830-42 pubmed publisher..We propose that the eEF2K/eEF2 pathway is a key biochemical sensor that couple neuronal activity to spine plasticity, by controlling the dendritic translation of BDNF. ..
- Zhang C, Liu X, Miao J, Wang S, Wu L, Yan D, et al. Heat shock protein 70 protects cardiomyocytes through suppressing SUMOylation and nucleus translocation of phosphorylated eukaryotic elongation factor 2 during myocardial ischemia and reperfusion. Apoptosis. 2017;22:608-625 pubmed publisher..HSP70 draw on advantage and avoid defect of MIR through regulating phosphorylation and nucleus translocation of eEF2. ..