Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ets 1
Description: ETS proto-oncogene 1, transcription factor
Alias: Ets-1, Etsoncb, Tpl1, protein C-ets-1, Ets avian erythroblastosis virus E2 oncogene homolog 1 (tumor progression locus 1), p54, v-ets avian erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 1, v-ets erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 1
Products: Ets 1
- Suzuki H, Romano Spica V, Papas T, Bhat N. ETS1 suppresses tumorigenicity of human colon cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:4442-6 pubmed
- Lincoln D, Phillips P, Bove K. Estrogen-induced Ets-1 promotes capillary formation in an in vitro tumor angiogenesis model. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003;78:167-78 pubmed
- Ito M, Nakayama T, Naito S, Matsuu M, Shichijo K, Sekine I. Expression of Ets-1 transcription factor in relation to angiogenesis in the healing process of gastric ulcer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;246:123-7 pubmed..Protein levels and mRNA expression of Ets-1 were confirmed by Western blotting and RT-PCR. These findings suggest that Ets-1 plays an important role in angiogenesis in the early phase of ulcer healing. ..
- Laurent Huck F, Egles C, Kienlen P, Stoeckel M, Felix J. Expression of the c-ets1 gene in the hypothalamus and pituitary during rat development. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1996;97:107-17 pubmed..The spatio-temporal correlation observed between c-ets1 gene expression and blood vessel formation in the rat hypothalamus and pituitary suggests a role for c-ets1 in angiogenesis in this system. ..
- Hua P, Feng W, Rezonzew G, Chumley P, Jaimes E. The transcription factor ETS-1 regulates angiotensin II-stimulated fibronectin production in mesangial cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;302:F1418-29 pubmed publisher..These studies unveil novel mechanisms involved in RAS-induced production of the extracellular matrix protein fibronectin in mesangial cells and establish the role of the transcription factor ETS-1 as a direct mediator of these effects...
- Abe K, Nakashima H, Ishida M, Miho N, Sawano M, Soe N, et al. Angiotensin II-induced osteopontin expression in vascular smooth muscle cells involves Gq/11, Ras, ERK, Src and Ets-1. Hypertens Res. 2008;31:987-98 pubmed publisher..These signaling molecules may represent therapeutic targets for the prevention of pathological vascular remodeling. ..
- Xiao X, Liu A, Wen H, Tian Y, Ni J, Liu G. Expression and localization of transcription factor Ets-1 in the rat ovary during the estrous cycle and pregnancy. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:1998-2005 pubmed publisher..Ets-1 may participate and play an important role in the regulation of follicular development, corpus luteum formation, maintenance, and regression. ..
- Du Z, Kamei M, Suzuki M, Tano Y, Wang B, Hui Y. Coordinated expression of Ets-1, pERK1/2, and VEGF in retina of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Ophthalmic Res. 2007;39:224-31 pubmed..We propose that VEGF, Ets-1, and ERK1 act synergistically in the development of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Aparicio J. HLA and non-HLA genetic factors in Japanese IDDM. Hokkaido Igaku Zasshi. 1991;66:780-93 pubmed..03). These results were discordant with some of the strongly associated genes observed in Caucasians. The discrepancy of the HLA and non-HLA results between both ethnic groups is discussed. ..
- Yordy J, Moussa O, Pei H, Chaussabel D, Li R, Watson D. SP100 inhibits ETS1 activity in primary endothelial cells. Oncogene. 2005;24:916-31 pubmed..Collectively, these data indicate that SP100 negatively modulates ETS1-dependent downstream biological processes. ..
- Pulliam J, Xu Z, Ford G, Liu C, Li Y, Stovall K, et al. Computational identification of conserved transcription factor binding sites upstream of genes induced in rat brain by transient focal ischemic stroke. Brain Res. 2013;1495:76-85 pubmed publisher..These findings could provide important insights into the mechanisms that lead to brain injury and could provide avenues for the development of novel therapies. ..
- Jinnin M, Ihn H, Asano Y, Yamane K, Trojanowska M, Tamaki K. Tenascin-C upregulation by transforming growth factor-beta in human dermal fibroblasts involves Smad3, Sp1, and Ets1. Oncogene. 2004;23:1656-67 pubmed..These findings demonstrate the existence of a novel, functional binding element in the proximal region of the TN-C promoter mediating responsiveness to TGF-beta involving Smad3/4, Sp1, Ets1, and CBP/p300. ..
- Huang C, Papas T, Bhat N. A variant form of ETS1 induces apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. Oncogene. 1997;15:851-6 pubmed
- Mattia G, Errico M, Felicetti F, Petrini M, Bottero L, Tomasello L, et al. Constitutive activation of the ETS-1-miR-222 circuitry in metastatic melanoma. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011;24:953-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, in vivo studies confirmed the contribution of miR-222 to the increased invasive potential obtained by ETS- silencing. ..
- Milkiewicz M, Uchida C, Gee E, Fudalewski T, Haas T. Shear stress-induced Ets-1 modulates protease inhibitor expression in microvascular endothelial cells. J Cell Physiol. 2008;217:502-10 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that enhanced laminar shear stress may act to preserve the integrity of microvascular walls in part through Ets-1-dependent induction of protease inhibitors. ..
- Bian C, Xu T, Zhu H, Pan D, Liu Y, Luo Y, et al. Luteolin Inhibits Ischemia/Reperfusion-Induced Myocardial Injury in Rats via Downregulation of microRNA-208b-3p. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0144877 pubmed publisher..Further, the luciferase reporter assay showed that miR-208b-3p could inhibit Ets1 expression. LUT pretreatment conveys anti-apoptotic effects after myocardial I/R injury by decreasing miR-208b-3p and increasing Ets1 expression levels. ..
- Qi M, Hu J, Zou S, Chen H, Zhou H, Han L. Mechanical strain induces osteogenic differentiation: Cbfa1 and Ets-1 expression in stretched rat mesenchymal stem cells. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;37:453-8 pubmed publisher..Mechanical strain may act as a stimulator to induce differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells into osteoblasts, which is vital for bone formation in distraction osteogenesis. ..
- Chan Y, Khanna S, Roy S, Sen C. miR-200b targets Ets-1 and is down-regulated by hypoxia to induce angiogenic response of endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2047-56 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence that hypoxia-sensitive miR-200b is involved in induction of angiogenesis via directly targeting Ets-1 in HMECs. ..
- Dandre F, Owens G. Platelet-derived growth factor-BB and Ets-1 transcription factor negatively regulate transcription of multiple smooth muscle cell differentiation marker genes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;286:H2042-51 pubmed..Taken together, results of these experiments provide novel insights regarding possible mechanisms whereby PDGF-BB and Ets-1 may contribute to SMC phenotypic switching associated with vascular injury. ..
- Elvert G, Kappel A, Heidenreich R, Englmeier U, Lanz S, Acker T, et al. Cooperative interaction of hypoxia-inducible factor-2alpha (HIF-2alpha ) and Ets-1 in the transcriptional activation of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 (Flk-1). J Biol Chem. 2003;278:7520-30 pubmed
- Tentler J, Bradford A, Schweppe R, Gutierrez Hartmann A. Selective repression of rat prolactin gene by stable expression of dominant-negative Ets in GH4 pituitary cells. Endocrine. 2003;20:3-12 pubmed..Taken together, these results verify and strengthen the view that Ets factors play a critical role in the regulation of endogenous PRL gene expression and PRL protein production. ..
- Bellacosa A, Datta K, Bear S, Patriotis C, Lazo P, Copeland N, et al. Effects of provirus integration in the Tpl-1/Ets-1 locus in Moloney murine leukemia virus-induced rat T-cell lymphomas: levels of expression, polyadenylation, transcriptional initiation, and differential splicing of the Ets-1 mRNA. J Virol. 1994;68:2320-30 pubmed
- Eberhardt W, Schulze M, Engels C, Klasmeier E, Pfeilschifter J. Glucocorticoid-mediated suppression of cytokine-induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in rat mesangial cells: involvement of nuclear factor-kappaB and Ets transcription factors. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:1752-66 pubmed..In addition to NF-kappaB, we suggest a pivotal role for the Ets binding site, in concert with a distal activator protein-1 element, in the transcriptional suppression of cytokine-induced MMP-9 expression by glucocorticoids. ..
- Song K, Yoon J, Kim K, Ahn D. c-Ets1 inhibits the interaction of NF-?B and CREB, and downregulates IL-1?-induced MUC5AC overproduction during airway inflammation. Mucosal Immunol. 2012;5:207-15 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a molecular paradigm for the establishment of a novel mechanism underlying the negative regulation of mucin overproduction, thus enhancing our understanding of airway inflammation. ..
- Hadri L, Ozog A, Soncin F, Lompre A. Basal transcription of the mouse sarco(endo)plasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase type 3 gene in endothelial cells is controlled by Ets-1 and Sp1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:36471-8 pubmed..Finally, overexpression of Ets-1 induced the expression of SERCA3 in endothelial cells and in fibroblasts. ..
- Sieweke M, Tekotte H, Frampton J, Graf T. MafB is an interaction partner and repressor of Ets-1 that inhibits erythroid differentiation. Cell. 1996;85:49-60 pubmed..These results highlight the importance of inhibitory interactions between transcription factors in regulating lineage-specific gene expression. ..
- Hultgardh Nilsson A, Cercek B, Wang J, Naito S, Lovdahl C, Sharifi B, et al. Regulated expression of the ets-1 transcription factor in vascular smooth muscle cells in vivo and in vitro. Circ Res. 1996;78:589-95 pubmed
- Peters C, Morris C, Mapp P, Blake D, Lewis C, Winrow V. The transcription factors hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha and Ets-1 colocalize in the hypoxic synovium of inflamed joints in adjuvant-induced arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;50:291-6 pubmed..The colocalization of Ets-1 and HIF-1alpha in these hypoxic areas suggests that hypoxia may induce Ets-1 and HIF-1alpha expression during joint inflammation. ..
- Freed Pastor W, Prives C. Mutant p53: one name, many proteins. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1268-86 pubmed publisher..Here we review mechanisms by which mutant p53 exerts its cellular effects, with a particular focus on the burgeoning mutant p53 transcriptome, and discuss the biological and clinical consequences of mutant p53 gain of function. ..
- Liu D, Liu X, Su Y, Zhang X. Renal expression of proto-oncogene Ets-1 on matrix remodeling in experimental diabetic nephropathy. Acta Histochem. 2011;113:527-33 pubmed publisher..01; P<0.01, respectively). These findings suggest that Ets-1 may play a critical role in fine-tuning matrix remodeling of STZ-induced DN. ..
- Gareri C, Iaconetti C, Sorrentino S, Covello C, de Rosa S, Indolfi C. miR-125a-5p Modulates Phenotypic Switch of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells by Targeting ETS-1. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:1817-1828 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-125a-5p in this context inhibits PDGF-BB pathway and is therefore a potential regulator of VSMCs phenotypic switch. ..
- Liu M, Eyries M, Zhang C, Santiago F, Khachigian L. Inducible platelet-derived growth factor D-chain expression by angiotensin II and hydrogen peroxide involves transcriptional regulation by Ets-1 and Sp1. Blood. 2006;107:2322-9 pubmed..Thus, 2 separate trans-acting factors regulate PDGF-D transcription, alone and in response to oxidative stress. ..
- Sahin A, Vercamer C, Kaminski A, Fuchs T, Florin A, Hahne J, et al. Dominant-negative inhibition of Ets 1 suppresses tumor growth, invasion and migration in rat C6 glioma cells and reveals differentially expressed Ets 1 target genes. Int J Oncol. 2009;34:377-89 pubmedWe previously reported that the inactivation of the Ets 1 transcription factor by a specific decoy strategy reduces rat C6 glioma cell proliferation and mmp-9 expression...
- Bonello M, Bobryshev Y, Khachigian L. Peroxide-inducible Ets-1 mediates platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha gene transcription in vascular smooth muscle cells. Am J Pathol. 2005;167:1149-59 pubmed..These studies identify a functional Ets motif in the PDGF-Ralpha promoter that plays a pivotal role in agonist-inducible PDGF-Ralpha transcription. ..
- Zhang C, Kavurma M, Lai A, Khachigian L. Ets-1 protects vascular smooth muscle cells from undergoing apoptosis by activating p21WAF1/Cip1: ETS-1 regulates basal and and inducible p21WAF1/Cip: ETS-1 regulates basal and inducible p21WAF1/Cip1 transcription via distinct cis-acting elements in . J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27903-9 pubmed..The phenotypic importance of Ets-1 regulation of p21WAF1/Cip1 was demonstrated by the capacity of antisense p21WAF1/Cip1 strategies to block Ets-1-inhibition of apoptosis and inhibit Ets-1-induction of proliferation. ..
- Petit F, Salas R, Tsai M, Tsai S. The regulation of COUP-TFII gene expression by Ets-1 is enhanced by the steroid receptor co-activators. Mech Ageing Dev. 2004;125:719-32 pubmed..These results indicate that COUP-TFII is a potential downstream target of Ets-1 and it may partially mediate the Ets-1 function in angiogenesis. ..
- Alvarez Muñoz P, Mauer M, Kim Y, Rich S, Miller M, Russell G, et al. Cellular basis of diabetic nephropathy: V. Endoglin expression levels and diabetic nephropathy risk in patients with Type 1 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 2010;24:242-9 pubmed publisher..These studies are compatible with the hypothesis that slow-track Type 1 diabetic patients, strongly protected from diabetic nephropathy, have distinct cellular behaviors that may be associated with reduced ECM production. ..
- Wasylyk C, Schlumberger S, Criqui Filipe P, Wasylyk B. Sp100 interacts with ETS-1 and stimulates its transcriptional activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:2687-702 pubmed..Sp100 acts as a novel coactivator that potentiates the activator function of ETS-1. Our results provide an important new connection between nuclear structures and an important regulator of gene expression. ..
- Hao G, Han Z, Meng Z, Wei J, Gao D, Zhang H, et al. Ets-1 upregulation mediates angiotensin II-related cardiac fibrosis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:10216-27 pubmed..Our data suggest that Ets-1 may mediate Ang II-induced cardiac fibrotic effects. ..
- Raffetseder U, Wernert N, Ostendorf T, Van Roeyen C, Rauen T, Behrens P, et al. Mesangial cell expression of proto-oncogene Ets-1 during progression of mesangioproliferative glomerulonephritis. Kidney Int. 2004;66:622-32 pubmed..A temporal increase of mesangial cell Ets-1 expression correlates with mesangial cell activation in mesangioproliferative glomerulonephritis. PDGF-B may partially contribute to the increased expression. ..
- Naito T, Tanihata Y, Nishimura H, Tanaka T, Higuchi C, Taguchi T, et al. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 associated with ets-1 proto-oncogene in rat tubulointerstitial cells. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20:2333-48 pubmed..The Ets-1 transcriptional factor may participate in IL-1beta-mediated MMP-9 expression in tubulointerstitial cells. ..
- Vairaktaris E, Goutzanis L, Kalokerinos G, Yannopoulos A, Yapijakis C, Vassiliou S, et al. Diabetes increases both N-ras and ets-1 expression during rat oral oncogenesis resulting in enhanced cell proliferation and metastatic potential. In Vivo. 2007;21:615-21 pubmed..It seems that diabetes may contribute to increased cell proliferation due to N-ras constitutive activation, as well as to enhanced invasion and metastatic potential by increasing ets-1 levels. ..
- Tanaka H, Terada Y, Kobayashi T, Okado T, Inoshita S, Kuwahara M, et al. Expression and function of Ets-1 during experimental acute renal failure in rats. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:3083-92 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Ets-1 plays a key role in the cell-cycle progression of renal tubules in ARF. The Ets-1 pathway may regulate the transcription of cyclin D1 and control the regeneration of renal tubules in ARF. ..
- Feng W, Chen B, Xing D, Li X, Fatima H, Jaimes E, et al. Haploinsufficiency of the Transcription Factor Ets-1 Is Renoprotective in Dahl Salt-Sensitive Rats. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:3239-3250 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, reduced renal expression of ETS-1 prevented hypertension-associated kidney injury in SS rats. ..
- Santiago F, Khachigian L. Ets-1 stimulates platelet-derived growth factor A-chain gene transcription and vascular smooth muscle cell growth via cooperative interactions with Sp1. Circ Res. 2004;95:479-87 pubmed..These findings identify a functional cis-acting element for Ets-1 in the PDGF-A promoter and demonstrate that Sp1 and Ets-1 cooperatively activate PDGF-A transcription in vascular SMCs. ..
- Kakaar D, Samuel S, Sharma S, Chopra S. Nurses' use of fertility regulating methods--a study. Nurs J India. 1992;83:111-3 pubmed
- Aparicio J, Wakisaka A, Takada A, Matsuura N, Yoshiki T. Non-HLA genetic factors and insulin dependent diabetes mellitus in the Japanese: TCRA, TCRB and TCRG, INS, THY1, CD3D and ETS1. Dis Markers. 1990;8:283-94 pubmed..These results were compared to findings in Caucasians and some differences were noted. The polymorphism observed in this study may be useful in genetic studies on immunologically affected populations. ..
- Mizui M, Isaka Y, Takabatake Y, Sato Y, Kawachi H, Shimizu F, et al. Transcription factor Ets-1 is essential for mesangial matrix remodeling. Kidney Int. 2006;70:298-305 pubmed..In contrast, knockdown of Ets-1 in glomeruli resulted in severe ECM deposition in diseased glomeruli. In conclusion, Ets-1 promotes degradation of ECM proteins and is critical for integral glomerular reorganization. ..
- Giese K, Kingsley C, Kirshner J, Grosschedl R. Assembly and function of a TCR alpha enhancer complex is dependent on LEF-1-induced DNA bending and multiple protein-protein interactions. Genes Dev. 1995;9:995-1008 pubmed
- Seeger F, Chen L, Spyridopoulos I, Altschmied J, Aicher A, Haendeler J. Downregulation of ETS rescues diabetes-induced reduction of endothelial progenitor cells. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4529 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that diabetes leads to dysregulated activation of ETS, which blocks the functional activity of progenitor cells and their commitment towards the endothelial cell lineage. ..
- Vázquez Juárez E, Hernández Benítez R, López Domínguez A, Pasantes Morales H. Thrombin potentiates D-aspartate efflux from cultured astrocytes under conditions of K+ homeostasis disruption. J Neurochem. 2009;111:1398-408 pubmed publisher..Similar mechanisms may contribute to brain damage in neural pathologies which are associated with cell swelling, glutamate efflux and increased thrombin levels. ..