Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: espin
Alias: espin, Jerker, deafness locus, actin cytoskeletal regulatory protein, ectoplasmic specialization protein
- Sekerkova G, Zheng L, Mugnaini E, Bartles J. Espin actin-cytoskeletal proteins are in rat type I spiral ganglion neurons and include splice-isoforms with a functional nuclear localization signal. J Comp Neurol. 2008;509:661-76 pubmed publisher..b>Espin antibody labeled approximately 83% of type I SGNs, and the labeling intensity increased dramatically during early ..
- Primiani N, Gregory M, Dufresne J, Smith C, Liu Y, Bartles J, et al. Microvillar size and espin expression in principal cells of the adult rat epididymis are regulated by androgens. J Androl. 2007;28:659-69 pubmed..The objectives of this study were to assess the regulation of espin in epididymal principal cells both in vitro and in vivo...
- Calderon A, Derr A, Stagner B, Johnson K, Martin G, Noben Trauth K. Cochlear developmental defect and background-dependent hearing thresholds in the Jackson circler (jc) mutant mouse. Hear Res. 2006;221:44-58 pubmed..Genome-wide linkage scans of backcross, intercross, and congenic progeny revealed a complex pattern of genetic and stochastic effects. ..
- Kitajiri S, Sakamoto T, Belyantseva I, Goodyear R, Stepanyan R, Fujiwara I, et al. Actin-bundling protein TRIOBP forms resilient rootlets of hair cell stereocilia essential for hearing. Cell. 2010;141:786-98 pubmed publisher..organizes actin filaments into uniquely dense bundles reminiscent of rootlets but distinct from bundles formed by espin, an actin crosslinker in stereocilia...
- Show M, Anway M, Zirkin B. An ex vivo analysis of Sertoli cell actin dynamics following gonadotropic hormone withdrawal. J Androl. 2004;25:1013-21 pubmed..Cofilin and profilin I gene expression was unaffected by hypophysectomy, whereas the expression of profilin II and espin both decreased significantly (47% and 42%, respectively)...
- Sekerkova G, Zheng L, Mugnaini E, Bartles J. Differential expression of espin isoforms during epithelial morphogenesis, stereociliogenesis and postnatal maturation in the developing inner ear. Dev Biol. 2006;291:83-95 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate that the different espin isoforms are expressed in complex spatiotemporal patterns during inner ear development...
- Schwander M, Kachar B, Muller U. Review series: The cell biology of hearing. J Cell Biol. 2010;190:9-20 pubmed publisher..The study of genes that are linked to deafness has provided insights into the cell biological mechanisms that control hair cell development and their function as mechanosensors. ..
- Sekerkova G, Loomis P, Changyaleket B, Zheng L, Eytan R, Chen B, et al. Novel espin actin-bundling proteins are localized to Purkinje cell dendritic spines and bind the Src homology 3 adapter protein insulin receptor substrate p53. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1310-9 pubmed..These proteins are novel isoforms of the actin-bundling protein espin that arise through the use of a unique site for transcriptional initiation and differential splicing...