Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Elovl5
Description: ELOVL fatty acid elongase 5
Alias: rELO1, elongation of very long chain fatty acids protein 5, 3-keto acyl-CoA synthase Elovl5, ELOVL FA elongase 5, ELOVL family member 5, elongation of long chain fatty acids, elongation of long chain fatty acids family member 5, elongation of very long chain fatty acids-like 5, fatty acid elongase 1, very long chain 3-ketoacyl-CoA synthase 5, very long chain 3-oxoacyl-CoA synthase 5
- Leonard A, Bobik E, Dorado J, Kroeger P, Chuang L, Thurmond J, et al. Cloning of a human cDNA encoding a novel enzyme involved in the elongation of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Biochem J. 2000;350 Pt 3:765-70 pubmed..Furthermore, the HELO1 gene is located on chromosome 6, best known for encoding the major histocompatibility complex, which is essential to the human immune response. ..
- Inagaki K, Aki T, Fukuda Y, Kawamoto S, Shigeta S, Ono K, et al. Identification and expression of a rat fatty acid elongase involved in the biosynthesis of C18 fatty acids. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2002;66:613-21 pubmed..This was distinct from that rELO1, a rat homolog of HELO1, which preferably catalyzed the elongation of mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids of C16-..
- Leonard A, Kelder B, Bobik E, Chuang L, Lewis C, Kopchick J, et al. Identification and expression of mammalian long-chain PUFA elongation enzymes. Lipids. 2002;37:733-40 pubmed..Biophys. Acta 1486, 219-231, 2000). We searched the database using the translated sequence of human elongase ELOVL5, whose encoded enzyme elongates monounsaturated and polyunsaturated FA, as a query to identify the enzyme(s) ..
- Leonard A, Pereira S, Sprecher H, Huang Y. Elongation of long-chain fatty acids. Prog Lipid Res. 2004;43:36-54 pubmed
- Ohno Y, Suto S, Yamanaka M, Mizutani Y, Mitsutake S, Igarashi Y, et al. ELOVL1 production of C24 acyl-CoAs is linked to C24 sphingolipid synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:18439-44 pubmed publisher..Finally, knockdown of ELOVL1 caused a reduction in the activity of the Src kinase LYN, confirming that C24-sphingolipids are particularly important in membrane microdomain function. ..
- Gregory M, Gibson R, Cook Johnson R, Cleland L, James M. Elongase reactions as control points in long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid synthesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29662 pubmed publisher..selectivities, competitive substrate interactions and dose response curves of the rat elongases, Elovl2 and Elovl5 were determined after expression of the enzymes in yeast...
- Soh J, Iqbal J, Queiroz J, Fernandez Hernando C, Hussain M. MicroRNA-30c reduces hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis in mice by decreasing lipid synthesis and lipoprotein secretion. Nat Med. 2013;19:892-900 pubmed publisher..Raising miR-30c levels might be useful in treating hyperlipidemias and associated disorders. ..
- Gregory M, Cleland L, James M. Molecular basis for differential elongation of omega-3 docosapentaenoic acid by the rat Elovl5 and Elovl2. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:2851-7 pubmed publisherFunctional characterization of the rat elongases, Elovl5 and Elovl2, has identified that Elovl2 is crucial for omega-3 docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (22:6n-3) synthesis...
- Di Gregorio E, Borroni B, Giorgio E, Lacerenza D, Ferrero M, Lo Buono N, et al. ELOVL5 mutations cause spinocerebellar ataxia 38. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;95:209-17 pubmed publisher..Targeted resequencing identified a single missense mutation (c.689G>T [p.Gly230Val]) in ELOVL5. Mutation screening of 456 independent SCA-affected individuals identified the same mutation in two further ..
- Green C, Ozguden Akkoc C, Wang Y, Jump D, Olson L. Role of fatty acid elongases in determination of de novo synthesized monounsaturated fatty acid species. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:1871-7 pubmed publisher..Given the relative abundance of 16:0 to 16:1,n-7 and the specificity of Elovl-6 for 16:0, Elovl-6 is a major elongase for 18:1,n-9 production. ..
- Kalogeropoulos A, Psaty B, Vasan R, Georgiopoulou V, Smith A, Smith N, et al. Validation of the health ABC heart failure model for incident heart failure risk prediction: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Circ Heart Fail. 2010;3:495-502 pubmed publisher..This tool may be used to identify individuals to whom to target heart failure prevention efforts. ..
- González R, Rodriguez Cruz M, Maldonado J, Saavedra F. Role of maternal tissue in the synthesis of polyunsaturated fatty acids in response to a lipid-deficient diet during pregnancy and lactation in rats. Gene. 2014;549:7-23 pubmed publisher..and lactation, metabolic adaptations involve changes in expression of desaturases and elongases (Elovl2 and Elovl5) in the mammary gland and liver for the synthesis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs) such as ..