Gene Symbol: Elovl5
Description: ELOVL fatty acid elongase 5
Alias: rELO1, elongation of very long chain fatty acids protein 5, 3-keto acyl-CoA synthase Elovl5, ELOVL FA elongase 5, ELOVL family member 5, elongation of long chain fatty acids, elongation of long chain fatty acids family member 5, elongation of very long chain fatty acids-like 5, fatty acid elongase 1, very long chain 3-ketoacyl-CoA synthase 5, very long chain 3-oxoacyl-CoA synthase 5
- Cloning of a human cDNA encoding a novel enzyme involved in the elongation of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acidsA E Leonard
Department of Strategic Discovery Research, Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories, 3300 Stelzer Road, Columbus, OH 43219, USA
Biochem J 350:765-70. 2000..Furthermore, the HELO1 gene is located on chromosome 6, best known for encoding the major histocompatibility complex, which is essential to the human immune response...
- Identification and expression of a rat fatty acid elongase involved in the biosynthesis of C18 fatty acidsKatsuya Inagaki
Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Graduate School of Advanced Sciences of Matter, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:613-21. 2002..This was distinct from that rELO1, a rat homolog of HELO1, which preferably catalyzed the elongation of mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids of C16-..
- Molecular basis for differential elongation of omega-3 docosapentaenoic acid by the rat Elovl5 and Elovl2Melissa K Gregory
Rheumatology Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, SA, Australia
J Lipid Res 54:2851-7. 2013Functional characterization of the rat elongases, Elovl5 and Elovl2, has identified that Elovl2 is crucial for omega-3 docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) (22:6n-3) synthesis...
- Role of maternal tissue in the synthesis of polyunsaturated fatty acids in response to a lipid-deficient diet during pregnancy and lactation in ratsRaúl Sánchez González
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, Unidad de Investigación Médica en Nutrición, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS, Mexico City, Mexico Electronic address
Gene 549:7-23. 2014..and lactation, metabolic adaptations involve changes in expression of desaturases and elongases (Elovl2 and Elovl5) in the mammary gland and liver for the synthesis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs) such as ..
- Role of fatty acid elongases in determination of de novo synthesized monounsaturated fatty acid speciesChristopher D Green
Department of Physiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Lipid Res 51:1871-7. 2010..Given the relative abundance of 16:0 to 16:1,n-7 and the specificity of Elovl-6 for 16:0, Elovl-6 is a major elongase for 18:1,n-9 production...
- Elongase reactions as control points in long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid synthesisMelissa K Gregory
Rheumatology Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
PLoS ONE 6:e29662. 2011..However, metabolism of EPA and DPA both require elongation reactions. This study examined the activities of two elongase enzymes as well as the second reaction of Fads2 in order to concentrate on the metabolism of EPA to DHA...