Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Edn1
Description: endothelin 1
Alias: Et1, endothelin-1, ET-1, PPET1, preproendothelin-1
- Barden A, Herbison C, Beilin L, Michael C, Walters B, van Bockxmeer F. Association between the endothelin-1 gene Lys198Asn polymorphism blood pressure and plasma endothelin-1 levels in normal and pre-eclamptic pregnancy. J Hypertens. 2001;19:1775-82 pubmed
- He F, Li J, Mu Y, Kuruba R, Ma Z, Wilson A, et al. Downregulation of endothelin-1 by farnesoid X receptor in vascular endothelial cells. Circ Res. 2006;98:192-9 pubmed..These studies suggest that FXR may play a role in endothelial homeostasis and may serve as a novel molecular target for manipulating ET-1 expression in vascular EC. ..
- Allahdadi K, Walker B, Kanagy N. Augmented endothelin vasoconstriction in intermittent hypoxia-induced hypertension. Hypertension. 2005;45:705-9 pubmed..Future studies will determine the specific changes in vascular smooth muscle signaling in IH hypertension causing this augmented contractile phenotype. ..
- Wilkes J, Hevener A, Olefsky J. Chronic endothelin-1 treatment leads to insulin resistance in vivo. Diabetes. 2003;52:1904-9 pubmed
- Kanagy N, Walker B, Nelin L. Role of endothelin in intermittent hypoxia-induced hypertension. Hypertension. 2001;37:511-5 pubmed..There was no significant change in plasma ET-1 over time in air-air rats. We conclude that IH exposure increases both MAP and plasma ET-1 and that the increased ET-1 may contribute to the hypertension. ..
- Chan Y, Tang F, O W. Adrenomedullin in the rat testis. II: Its production, actions on inhibin secretion, regulation by follicle-stimulating hormone, and its interaction with endothelin 1 in the Sertoli cell. Biol Reprod. 2008;78:780-5 pubmed..The regulation of ADM by FSH and its interaction with endothelin 1 (EDN1) in the rat Sertoli cells have also been established...
- Rozyczka J, Figiel M, Engele J. Chronic endothelin exposure inhibits connexin43 expression in cultured cortical astroglia. J Neurosci Res. 2005;79:303-9 pubmed..We suggest that the observed ET-dependent inhibition of Cx43 expression and the resulting decline of GJIC might represent a major pathway by which ETs regulate astrocytic gene expression in the injured brain. ..
- Jain R, Shaul P, Borok Z, Willis B. Endothelin-1 induces alveolar epithelial-mesenchymal transition through endothelin type A receptor-mediated production of TGF-beta1. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2007;37:38-47 pubmed..These findings increase our basic understanding of the role of ET-1 in pulmonary fibrosis and suggest potential roles for AEC-derived ET-1 in the pathogenesis of other alveolar epithelial-mediated lung diseases. ..
- Chan Y, O W, Tang F. Adrenomedullin in the rat testis. I: Its production, actions on testosterone secretion, regulation by human chorionic gonadotropin, and its interaction with endothelin 1 in the leydig cell. Biol Reprod. 2008;78:773-9 pubmed..The regulation of ADM by hCG and its interaction with endothelin 1 (EDN1) in the rat Leydig cells are also observed...
- Girsh E, Dekel N. Involvement of endothelin-1 and its receptors in PGF2alpha-induced luteolysis in the rat. Mol Reprod Dev. 2002;63:71-8 pubmed
- Ariel I, Skarzinski G, Belzer V, Abu Ahmad W, Abassi Z, Bursztyn M. Vasoactivity of the rat endovascular trophoblast. Placenta. 2016;46:26-30 pubmed publisher..trophoblasts (EVasT) express smooth muscle (SM) proteins and contract ex vivo upon exposure to endothelin-1 (ET1) via receptors A and B (ETA, ETB)...
- Vig P, Desaiah D, Subramony S, Fratkin J. Developmental changes in cerebellar endothelin-1 receptors in the neurologic mouse lurcher mutant. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 1995;89:307-16 pubmed..At P 15 to P 20, when about 50% to 75% neurons are lost respectively, these changes may also reflect astrogliosis. ..
- Kurihara Y, Kurihara H, Suzuki H, Kodama T, Maemura K, Nagai R, et al. Elevated blood pressure and craniofacial abnormalities in mice deficient in endothelin-1. Nature. 1994;368:703-10 pubmed..These results suggest that ET-1 is essential for normal mouse development and may also play a physiological role in cardiovascular homeostasis...
- Ramzy D, Wallen J, Badiwala M, Tumiati L, Tepperman E, Ross H, et al. Endothelin-1 antagonism and nitric oxide augmentation prevents cyclosporine-induced vasomotor impairment. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2011;30:77-85 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests potential therapeutic strategies to prevent endothelial dysfunction as combined therapy with ET-1 antagonism and NO augmentation completely abrogated CyA-induced vascular injury. ..
- Feron O, Salomone S, Godfraind T. Influence of salt loading on the cardiac and renal preproendothelin-1 mRNA expression in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;209:161-6 pubmed
- Dai Z, Tan M, Chai C, Chen I, Jeng A, Kwan A, et al. Differential changes in endothelin-1 and endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene expression in rats with a chronic high pulmonary flow. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004;44 Suppl 1:S341-5 pubmed..These results indicate that endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene expression was upregulated, prior to that of ET-1, at the transcriptional level during pulmonary vascular remodeling in this chronic shunt model. ..
- Hu L, Wang X, Jiang X, Xu L, Pan H. In vivo and in vitro study of osteogenic potency of endothelin-1 on bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Exp Cell Res. 2017;357:25-32 pubmed publisher..These findings have demonstrated the influence of EDN-1 on differentiation potential of BMSCs, which suggest that EDN-1 may be a new promising agent for bone tissue engineering. ..
- Ye D, Wang D. Function and regulation of endothelin-1 and its receptors in salt sensitive hypertension induced by sensory nerve degeneration. Hypertension. 2002;39:673-8 pubmed..These results suggest that ET(B) plays an antihypertensive role in response to high salt intake under both normal and sensory nerve degenerated conditions. ..
- Krenek P, Morel N, Kyselovic J, Wibo M. Amlodipine at high dose increases preproendothelin-1 expression in the ventricles and aorta of normotensive rats. J Hypertens. 2004;22:827-35 pubmed..Endothelin-1 overexpression could contribute to the lack of inhibitory effect of high-dose amlodipine on ventricular mass in normotensive rats. ..
- Zeidan A, Broman J, Hellstrand P, Swärd K. Cholesterol dependence of vascular ERK1/2 activation and growth in response to stretch: role of endothelin-1. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23:1528-34 pubmed..Stretch-induced growth signaling in vascular smooth muscle depends on cholesterol-rich, membrane microdomains by a mechanism involving ETA receptors that respond to endogenous ET-1 production. ..
- Irukayama Tomobe Y, Miyauchi T, Kasuya Y, Sakai S, Goto K, Yamaguchi I. Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha decreases endothelin-1-induced p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation in cardiomyocytes. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004;44 Suppl 1:S358-61 pubmed..These results suggest that the negative effect of the PPAR-alpha activator, fenofibrate, on ET-1-induced cardiac hypertrophy may be partly due to inhibition of the p38 signaling pathway. ..
- Koyama Y, Maebara Y, Hayashi M, Nagae R, Tokuyama S, Michinaga S. Endothelins reciprocally regulate VEGF-A and angiopoietin-1 production in cultured rat astrocytes: implications on astrocytic proliferation. Glia. 2012;60:1954-63 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that ET-1 is a factor regulating astrocytic VEGF-A and ANG-1, and that increased VEGF-A production potentiates ET-induced astrocytic proliferation by an autocrine mechanism. ..
- Saab S, Tam S, Tran B, Melton A, Tangkijvanich P, Wong H, et al. Myosin mediates contractile force generation by hepatic stellate cells in response to endothelin-1. J Biomed Sci. 2002;9:607-12 pubmed..These results suggest that endothelin-1-stimulated contractile force generation by stellate cells is mediated by myosin. ..
- Valle Casuso J, González Sánchez A, Medina J, Tabernero A. HIF-1 and c-Src mediate increased glucose uptake induced by endothelin-1 and connexin43 in astrocytes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32448 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, this is the first evidence linking Cx43 to HIF-1, which is a master regulator of glucose metabolism. ..
- Zhai H, Hhang J, Gao M, Liu Y, Zhang S, Wang X, et al. Comparative study between Ephedra sinica Stapf and Fructus Schisandrae Chinensis on ET-1 and 6-keto-prostaglandin F1? in rats with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Genet Mol Res. 2014;13:3761-71 pubmed publisher..Ephedra and Schisandrae prevented alveolitis and the development of pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Lin Y, Kwok C, Juan C, Hsu Y, Shih K, Chen C, et al. Angiotensin II enhances endothelin-1-induced vasoconstriction through upregulating endothelin type A receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;451:263-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the synergistic effect of Ang II and ET-1 on the pathogenic development of hypertension. ..
- Rafols D, Steiner J, Rafols J, Petrov T. Intracellular coexpression of endothelin-1 and inducible nitric oxide synthase underlies hypoperfusion after traumatic brain injury in the rat. Neurosci Lett. 2004;362:154-7 pubmed..The results further indicate that interaction between ET-1 and iNOS occurs at the cytosol and possibly the nuclear membranes, implicating mediation via endothelin receptors. ..
- Jernigan N, Walker B, Resta T. Endothelium-derived reactive oxygen species and endothelin-1 attenuate NO-dependent pulmonary vasodilation following chronic hypoxia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;287:L801-8 pubmed..We conclude that both endothelium-derived ROS and ET-1 attenuate NO-dependent pulmonary vasodilation following CH. Furthermore, CH augments pulmonary VSM reactivity to NO. ..
- Harvey S, Gandhi C, Behal R, Olson M. Down-regulation and recovery of endothelin-1 binding and signaling in rat cardiomyocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;288:558-63 pubmed..The recovery of PI-PLC signaling in these cells is in contrast with a previous report, but consistent with recovery of the receptor complement. ..
- Momohara Y, Sakamoto S, Obayashi S, Aso T, Goto M, Azuma H. Roles of endogenous nitric oxide synthase inhibitors and endothelin-1 for regulating myometrial contractions during gestation in the rat. Mol Hum Reprod. 2004;10:505-12 pubmed..The impaired NO production due to accumulated endogenous NOS inhibitors possibly results in increased ET-1 content within the myometrium, thereby increasing myometrial contractions at term gestation and after delivery. ..
- Kisanuki Y, Emoto N, Ohuchi T, Widyantoro B, Yagi K, Nakayama K, et al. Low blood pressure in endothelial cell-specific endothelin 1 knockout mice. Hypertension. 2010;56:121-8 pubmed publisher..Taken in conjunction with other lines of genetically altered mice, our results provide evidence for a paracrine vasoregulatory pathway mediated by endothelial cell-derived ET-1 acting on the vascular smooth muscle ET(A) receptor. ..
- Dong H, Shan N, Luo Y, Gao F, Li X, Xu J, et al. [L-arginine suppresses ischemia/reperfusion induced up-regulation of endothelin-1 production in a rat model of acute myocardial injury]. Zhongguo Wei Zhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2011;23:731-3 pubmed..340 ± 0.049 vs. 0.775 ± 0.029; ET-1 peptide: 0.390 ± 0.094 vs. 0.773 ± 0.055, both P < 0.05). L-Arg may be tested during certain stage of I/R injury as a therapeutic intervention for the suppression of ET-1 up-regulation. ..
- Rebolledo A, Milesi V, Raingo J, Gomez Alvis A, Rinaldi G, Grassi de Gende A. Insulin preincubation effects on rat vessel contractile responses: role of the sarcoplasmic reticulum. Endothelium. 2001;8:277-82 pubmedIn the present work, we studied the possible mechanisms involved in the insulin-induced acceleration of ET1 contractions...
- Dumont Y, D Amours M, Lebel M, Lariviere R. Blood pressure-independent effect of angiotensin AT1 receptor blockade on renal endothelin-1 production in hypertensive uremic rats. J Hypertens. 2001;19:1479-87 pubmed..In contrast, the reduction of renal ET-1 production is mediated by tissue-specific effects of AT1 receptor blockade, and may contribute to the renal protective effects of losartan. ..
- Yuan P, Wu W, Gao L, Zheng Z, Liu D, Mei H, et al. Oestradiol ameliorates monocrotaline pulmonary hypertension via NO, prostacyclin and endothelin-1 pathways. Eur Respir J. 2013;41:1116-25 pubmed publisher..Oestrogen deficiency may aggravate development of pulmonary hypertension. 17?-oestradiol improved pulmonary hypertension via activation of the PI3K/Akt pathway to regulate NO, PGI2 and ET-1 expression. ..
- Taniguchi T, Shimazawa M, Sasaoka M, Shimazaki A, Hara H. Endothelin-1 impairs retrograde axonal transport and leads to axonal injury in rat optic nerve. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2006;3:81-8 pubmed..In conclusion, a single intravitreous injection of ET-1 impaired retrograde axonal transport in the rat optic nerve and this impairment correlated with the histological optic nerve damage. ..
- Zhang J, Yang W, Hu B, Wu W, Fallon M. Endothelin-1 activation of the endothelin B receptor modulates pulmonary endothelial CX3CL1 and contributes to pulmonary angiogenesis in experimental hepatopulmonary syndrome. Am J Pathol. 2014;184:1706-14 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a novel mechanistic interaction between the ET-1/ETB receptor axis and CX3CL1/CX3CR1 in mediating pulmonary angiogenesis and vascular monocyte accumulation in experimental HPS. ..
- Tharaux P, Chatziantoniou C, Casellas D, Fouassier L, Ardaillou R, Dussaule J. Vascular endothelin-1 gene expression and synthesis and effect on renal type I collagen synthesis and nephroangiosclerosis during nitric oxide synthase inhibition in rats. Circulation. 1999;99:2185-91 pubmed..In this model of hypertension, ET-1 is a major activator of collagen I formation in renal resistance vessels and participates in the development of renal fibrosis without affecting systolic blood pressure. ..
- Sachidanandam K, Portik Dobos V, Harris A, Hutchinson J, Muller E, Johnson M, et al. Evidence for vasculoprotective effects of ETB receptors in resistance artery remodeling in diabetes. Diabetes. 2007;56:2753-8 pubmed..ET-1 contributes to the remodeling of mesenteric resistance arteries in diabetes via activation of ET(A) receptors, and ET(B) receptors provide vasculoprotective effects. ..
- Elgebaly M, Portik Dobos V, Sachidanandam K, Rychly D, Malcom D, Johnson M, et al. Differential effects of ET(A) and ET(B) receptor antagonism on oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes. Vascul Pharmacol. 2007;47:125-30 pubmed..Thus, ET-1 contributes to oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes and ET receptor antagonism with atrasentan or A-192612 displays differential effects depending on dose and receptor subtype. ..
- Guarino N, Puri P. Antenatal dexamethasone enhances endothelin-1 synthesis and gene expression in the heart in congenital diaphragmatic hernia in rats. J Pediatr Surg. 2002;37:1563-7 pubmed..Prenatal corticosteroids increase the cardiac production of ET-1, and this may enhance heart growth and cardiac inotropism at birth. ..
- de Jonge H, Dekkers D, Houtsmuller A, Sharma H, Lamers J. Differential Signaling and Hypertrophic Responses in Cyclically Stretched vs Endothelin-1 Stimulated Neonatal Rat Cardiomyocytes. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2007;47:21-32 pubmed
- Shimojo N, Jesmin S, Zaedi S, Otsuki T, Maeda S, Yamaguchi N, et al. Contributory role of VEGF overexpression in endothelin-1-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H474-81 pubmed
- Nakano D, Pollock D. Contribution of endothelin A receptors in endothelin 1-dependent natriuresis in female rats. Hypertension. 2009;53:324-30 pubmed publisher..Infusion of endothelin 1 (ET-1) significantly increased sodium excretion (U(Na)V) in female, but not male, wt rats (Delta U(Na)V: 0...
- Yao H, Tu J, Shan Q, Xia Q. [Endothelin-1 and nitric oxide mediated the lipopolysaccharide-induced cardiac negative inotropic role]. Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi. 2009;25:228-32 pubmed..ET-1 and NO mediate myocardial dysfunction in hearts isolated and decrease [Ca2+]i transients in cardiac myocytes from LPS-treated rats. But neither ET-1 nor NO participates in the impairment of SR Ca2+ -ATPase induced by LPS. ..
- Hernandez C, Rodriguez B, Losada E, Corraliza L, García Ramírez M, Simo R. Normoalbuminuric type 1 diabetic patients with retinopathy have an impaired tubular response to desmopressin: its relationship with plasma endothelin-1. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:2060-5 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to elucidate whether this tubular resistance to dDAVP might favor dehydration in these patients. ..
- Jeong G, Chung K, Lee W, Kim Y, Sung S. The effect of a nitric oxide donor on endogenous endothelin-1 expression in renal ischemia/reperfusion injury. Transplant Proc. 2004;36:1943-5 pubmed..These data suggest that early administration of SNP in renal ischemia-reperfusion improves renal function by suppressing ET-1 expression. ..
- Giraldo A, Barrett O, Tindall M, Fuller S, Amirak E, Bhattacharya B, et al. Feedback regulation by Atf3 in the endothelin-1-responsive transcriptome of cardiomyocytes: Egr1 is a principal Atf3 target. Biochem J. 2012;444:343-55 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study therefore identify Atf3 as a nexus in cardiomyocyte hypertrophy required to facilitate the full and proper growth response. ..
- Whitman E, Pisarcik S, Luke T, Fallon M, Wang J, Sylvester J, et al. Endothelin-1 mediates hypoxia-induced inhibition of voltage-gated K+ channel expression in pulmonary arterial myocytes. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L309-18 pubmed..These results suggest that the inhibition of K(v) channel expression and rise in [Ca(2+)](i) during chronic hypoxia may be the result of HIF-1-dependent induction of ET-1. ..
- Li D, Yang P, Xiong Q, Song X, Yang X, Liu L, et al. MicroRNA-125a/b-5p inhibits endothelin-1 expression in vascular endothelial cells. J Hypertens. 2010;28:1646-54 pubmed publisher..Our finding demonstrated that endothelial miR-125a/b-5p inhibits ET-1 expression in VECs, which revealed a novel miRNA-mediated mechanism in vasomotor homeostasis. ..
- Mukherjee A, Loesch A. Co-localisation of nitric oxide synthase and endothelin in the rat supraoptic nucleus. Histochem J. 2002;34:181-7 pubmed..The findings are discussed in terms of the possible role and significance of nitric oxide and endothlin-1 in the hypothalamo-neurohypophysial system. ..
- Zhang W, Yip K, Lin M, Shimoda L, Li W, Sham J. ET-1 activates Ca2+ sparks in PASMC: local Ca2+ signaling between inositol trisphosphate and ryanodine receptors. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003;285:L680-90 pubmed
- Qi H, Ye J, Song L, Chen W, Liang J, Mu D. [Exploration of serum endothelin-1 as a marker of early radiation lung injury]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2005;21:356-8, 361 pubmed..The serum ET-1 can be used as a marker of early diagnosis and dynamic changes of radiation lung injury. ..
- Klonowski Stumpe H, Reinehr R, Fischer R, Warskulat U, Lüthen R, Haussinger D. Production and effects of endothelin-1 in rat pancreatic stellate cells. Pancreas. 2003;27:67-74 pubmed..The results suggest that ET-1 may act as a paracrine and autocrine factor for activated PSCs and may mediate contractions of activated, but not quiescent, PSCs. ..
- Clouthier D, Hosoda K, Richardson J, Williams S, Yanagisawa H, Kuwaki T, et al. Cranial and cardiac neural crest defects in endothelin-A receptor-deficient mice. Development. 1998;125:813-24 pubmed..These observations define a novel genetic pathway for inductive communication between cephalic neural crest cells and their environmental counterparts. ..
- Di Giulio C, Verratti V, Artese L, Petruccelli G, Walski M, Pokorski M. Aging and expression of heme oxygenase-1 and endothelin-1 in the rat carotid body after chronic hypoxia. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009;60 Suppl 5:41-4 pubmed
- Zhang F, Kaide J, Yang L, Jiang H, Quan S, Kemp R, et al. CO modulates pulmonary vascular response to acute hypoxia: relation to endothelin. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;286:H137-44 pubmed..These data suggest that a product of HO activity, most likely CO, inhibits hypoxia-induced pulmonary vasoconstriction by reducing ET-1 vascular levels and sensitivity. ..