Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cyp24a1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 24, subfamily a, polypeptide 1
Alias: 24-OHase, 24R-Ohase, Cyp24, P450-CC24, VITD12, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) 24-hydroxylase, mitochondrial, 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 24-hydroxylase, 25-hydroxyvitaminD324-hydroxylase, Cytochrom P450 (25-hydroxyvitamin D24-hydroxylase), cytochrome P450 24A1, cytochrome P450, subfamily 24, cytochrome P450-CC24, vitamin D(3) 24-hydroxylase
- Kasuga H, Hosogane N, Matsuoka K, Mori I, Sakura Y, Shimakawa K, et al. Characterization of transgenic rats constitutively expressing vitamin D-24-hydroxylase gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;297:1332-8 pubmedVitamin D-24-hydroxylase (CYP24) is one of the enzymes responsible for vitamin D metabolism. CYP24 catalyzes the conversion of 25-hydroxyvitamin D(3) [25(OH)D(3)] to 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) [24,25(OH)(2)D(3)] in the kidney...
- Nutchey B, Kaplan J, Dwivedi P, Omdahl J, Ferrante A, May B, et al. Molecular action of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and phorbol ester on the activation of the rat cytochrome P450C24 (CYP24) promoter: role of MAP kinase activities and identification of an important transcription factor binding site. Biochem J. 2005;389:753-62 pubmedAlthough investigations of the transcriptional regulation of the rat cytochrome P450C24 [CYP24 (25-hydroxyvitamin D3 24-hydroxylase)] gene by 1,25D (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3) at either the genomic, or more recently at the non-genomic, ..
- Hahn C, Kerry D, Omdahl J, May B. Identification of a vitamin D responsive element in the promoter of the rat cytochrome P450(24) gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:2410-6 pubmed..A VDRE at position -150 to -136 in the promoter of the rat P450(24) gene is identified in this study and found to be important in mediating the enhanced expression of the gene by 1,25-(OH)2D3. ..
- Vuica A, Vukojevic K, Ferhatović Hamzić L, Jeric M, Puljak L, Grkovic I, et al. Expression pattern of CYP24 in liver during ageing in long-term diabetes. Acta Histochem. 2016;118:486-95 pubmed publisher..be a potential link between ageing/diabetes mellitus (DM) and bone loss, we studied the dynamic of expression of CYP24, the main calcitriol catabolising enzyme in the liver of rats during ageing and a long-term experimental DM1...
- Fischer D, Thomé M, Becker S, Cordes T, Diedrich K, Friedrich M, et al. Expression of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3-24-hydroxylase in benign and malignant ovarian cell lines and tissue. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:3635-9 pubmed..01). In the malignant ovarian tissue, the expression was significantly higher in RNA (p<0.001), but lower at the protein level (p<0.01). An increased 24-OHase expression could indicate a decrease in available calcitriol. ..
- St Arnaud R, Messerlian S, Moir J, Omdahl J, Glorieux F. The 25-hydroxyvitamin D 1-alpha-hydroxylase gene maps to the pseudovitamin D-deficiency rickets (PDDR) disease locus. J Bone Miner Res. 1997;12:1552-9 pubmed..We have used a probe derived from the rat 25-hydroxyvitamin D-24-hydroxylase (CYP24; 24-OHase) sequence to identify and clone the 1alpha-OHase cDNA. The full-length 1alpha-OHase clone of 2...
- Masuda S, Kaufmann M, Byford V, Gao M, St Arnaud R, Arabian A, et al. Insights into Vitamin D metabolism using cyp24 over-expression and knockout systems in conjunction with liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry (LC/MS). J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;89-90:149-53 pubmed..Our studies focused on: (1) elucidating the role of CYP24 in 25-OH-D3 and 1alpha,25-(OH)2D3 metabolism; (2) exploring how DBP influences this process; (3) measuring 25-OH-..
- van Driel M, Koedam M, Buurman C, Hewison M, Chiba H, Uitterlinden A, et al. Evidence for auto/paracrine actions of vitamin D in bone: 1alpha-hydroxylase expression and activity in human bone cells. FASEB J. 2006;20:2417-9 pubmed..to modulate osteoblast activity, resulting in induced alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activity, osteocalcin (OC) and CYP24 mRNA expression, and mineralization...
- Gao X, Dwivedi P, Omdahl J, Morris H, May B. Calcitonin stimulates expression of the rat 25-hydroxyvitamin D3-24-hydroxylase (CYP24) promoter in HEK-293 cells expressing calcitonin receptor: identification of signaling pathways. J Mol Endocrinol. 2004;32:87-98 pubmedRegulation of the gene for renal 25-hydroxyvitamin D-24-hydroxylase (CYP24) is important for controlling the level of circulating 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25(OH)2D3)...
- Annalora A, Goodin D, Hong W, Zhang Q, Johnson E, Stout C. Crystal structure of CYP24A1, a mitochondrial cytochrome P450 involved in vitamin D metabolism. J Mol Biol. 2010;396:441-51 pubmed publisherCytochrome P450 (CYP) 24A1 catalyzes the side-chain oxidation of the hormonal form of vitamin D. Expression of CYP24A1 is up-regulated to attenuate vitamin D signaling associated with calcium homeostasis and cellular growth processes...
- Wang L, Gao Z, Wang L, Gao Y. Loss of miR-125b contributes to upregulation of CYP24 in uraemic rats. Nephrology (Carlton). 2016;21:1063-1068 pubmed publisherAbnormal upregulation of CYP24 contributes to vitamin D insufficiency and resistance to vitamin D therapy in chronic kidney disease (CKD), because human CYP24 is a key enzyme involved in the inactivation of 1a,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1a,..
- Ohyama Y, Ozono K, Uchida M, Shinki T, Kato S, Suda T, et al. Identification of a vitamin D-responsive element in the 5'-flanking region of the rat 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 24-hydroxylase gene. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:10545-50 pubmed
- Hamamoto H, Kusudo T, Urushino N, Masuno H, Yamamoto K, Yamada S, et al. Structure-function analysis of vitamin D 24-hydroxylase (CYP24A1) by site-directed mutagenesis: amino acid residues responsible for species-based difference of CYP24A1 between humans and rats. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:120-8 pubmedOur previous studies revealed the species-based difference of CYP24A1-dependent vitamin D metabolism. Although human CYP24A1 catalyzes both C-23 and C-24 oxidation pathways, rat CYP24A1 shows almost no C-23 oxidation pathway...
- Nehring J, Zierold C, DeLuca H. Lithocholic acid can carry out in vivo functions of vitamin D. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:10006-9 pubmed..Further, LCA induces CYP24-hydroxylase mRNA gene expression in the kidney of vitamin D-deficient rats...
- Takemoto F, Shinki T, Yokoyama K, Inokami T, Hara S, Yamada A, et al. Gene expression of vitamin D hydroxylase and megalin in the remnant kidney of nephrectomized rats. Kidney Int. 2003;64:414-20 pubmed..nephrectomized rats, we examined changes in mRNA levels of CYP27B1 (25-hydroxyvitamin D3-1 alpha-hydroxylase), CYP24 (25-hydroxyvitamin D3-24-hydroxylase), and vitamin D receptor in relation to megalin, recently found to ..
- Ohyama Y, Noshiro M, Eggertsen G, Gotoh O, Kato Y, Bjorkhem I, et al. Structural characterization of the gene encoding rat 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 24-hydroxylase. Biochemistry. 1993;32:76-82 pubmed..The structure of the gene is discussed in relation to present knowledge about the mechanism of regulation of the 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 24-hydroxylase and calcium homeostasis. ..
- Kusudo T, Sakaki T, Abe D, Fujishima T, Kittaka A, Takayama H, et al. Metabolism of A-ring diastereomers of 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 by CYP24A1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;321:774-82 pubmed..1beta,3alpha), was examined to compare the substrate specificity and reaction specificity of CYP24A1 between humans and rats...