Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ctnna1
Description: catenin alpha 1
Alias: Catna1, catenin alpha-1, catenin (cadherin associated protein), alpha 1, catenin (cadherin-associated protein), alpha 1, 102kDa
- Aaltomaa S, Kärjä V, Lipponen P, Isotalo T, Kankkunen J, Talja M, et al. Reduced alpha- and beta-catenin expression predicts shortened survival in local prostate cancer. Anticancer Res. 2005;25:4707-12 pubmed..016) and low alpha-catenin expression (p = 0.049). Reduced alpha- or beta-catenin expressions are related to malignant phenotype in local prostate cancer and predict PSA failure as well as shortened survival. ..
- Khare L, Sabourin C, De Young B, Jamasbi R, Stoner G. Altered localization of E-cadherin and alpha-catenin in rat esophageal tumors. Int J Oncol. 1999;14:33-40 pubmed
- Shibata H, Takano H, Ito M, Shioya H, Hirota M, Matsumoto H, et al. Alpha-catenin is essential in intestinal adenoma formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18199-204 pubmed..Extensive genetic analysis identified a deletion in the alpha-catenin (Ctnna1) gene as the cause of this suppression...
- Park L, Gallo E, Anrather J, Wang G, Norris E, Paul J, et al. Key role of tissue plasminogen activator in neurovascular coupling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:1073-8 pubmed publisher..These findings unveil a previously unrecognized role of tPA in vital homeostatic mechanisms coupling NMDA receptor signaling with nitric oxide synthesis and local cerebral perfusion. ..
- Scholten A, Aliredjo R, Creutzberg C, Smit V. Combined E-cadherin, alpha-catenin, and beta-catenin expression is a favorable prognostic factor in endometrial carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16:1379-85 pubmed..02). Negative E-cadherin expression was found to be associated with histologic grade 3 and with NEEC. Combined positive E-cadherin, alpha-catenin, and beta-catenin expression was a significant prognostic factor. ..
- Zhang R, Yin J, Zhao Y, Guo Y, Wang Y, Yang Z. [Effect of intra-testicular testosterone withdrawal on the expression of alpha-catenin in the adult rat testis]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2006;12:394-6, 400 pubmed..Intra-testicular testosterone withdrawal-induced looser arrangement or sloughing of spermatogenic cells is not related to the adhesion molecule alpha-catenin. Alpha-catenin may be used as a cell identification marker for Leydig cells. ..
- Kashibuchi K, Tomita K, Schalken J, Kume H, Takeuchi T, Kitamura T. The prognostic value of E-cadherin, alpha-, beta- and gamma-catenin in bladder cancer patients who underwent radical cystectomy. Int J Urol. 2007;14:789-94 pubmed..Alpha-catenin may not only be a good prognostic marker, but also one of key molecules that determine the chemosensitivities in patients with invasive bladder cancer. ..
- Gavard J, Lambert M, Grosheva I, Marthiens V, Irinopoulou T, Riou J, et al. Lamellipodium extension and cadherin adhesion: two cell responses to cadherin activation relying on distinct signalling pathways. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:257-70 pubmed..These results provide additional information on the mechanisms by which cadherin coordinates adhesion with dynamic changes in the cytoskeleton to control cell shape and intercellular junction organization. ..
- Sacco P, McGranahan T, Wheelock M, Johnson K. Identification of plakoglobin domains required for association with N-cadherin and alpha-catenin. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:20201-6 pubmed..Plakoglobin is an armadillo family member containing 13 weakly similar internal repeats. These data show that the alpha-catenin-binding region maps within the first repeat and the N-cadherin-binding region maps within repeats 7 and 8. ..
- She B, Liou G, Lin Chao S. Association of the growth-arrest-specific protein Gas7 with F-actin induces reorganization of microfilaments and promotes membrane outgrowth. Exp Cell Res. 2002;273:34-44 pubmed..We propose that Gas7 localized near the plasma membrane induces the assembly of actin and the membrane outgrowth. ..
- Piedra J, Miravet S, Castaño J, Palmer H, Heisterkamp N, Garcia de Herreros A, et al. p120 Catenin-associated Fer and Fyn tyrosine kinases regulate beta-catenin Tyr-142 phosphorylation and beta-catenin-alpha-catenin Interaction. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2287-97 pubmed
- Ha H, Park H, Park N. Expression of E-cadherin and ?-catenin in a varicocele-induced infertility rat model. Asian J Androl. 2011;13:470-5 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that damage to the blood-testis barrier (BTB) is associated with varicocele-induced male infertility, and that ROS may cause damage to the BTB. ..
- Jung K, Dean D, Jiang J, Gaylor S, Griffith W, Burghardt R, et al. Loss of N-cadherin and alpha-catenin in the proximal tubules of aging male Fischer 344 rats. Mech Ageing Dev. 2004;125:445-53 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that aging is associated with decreased expression of N-cadherin and alpha-catenin and is associated with a loss of cell polarity. ..
- Wu J, Tsai R, Chung T. Role of catenins in the development of gap junctions in rat cardiomyocytes. J Cell Biochem. 2003;88:823-35 pubmed..These results suggest the formation of a catenin-ZO-1-Cx43 complex in rat cardiomyocytes and that binding of catenins to ZO-1 is required for Cx43 transport to the plasma membrane during the assembly of gap junctions. ..
- Rubinfeld B, Souza B, Albert I, Munemitsu S, Polakis P. The APC protein and E-cadherin form similar but independent complexes with alpha-catenin, beta-catenin, and plakoglobin. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:5549-55 pubmed..Thus, APC forms distinct heteromeric complexes containing combinations of alpha-catenin, beta-catenin, and plakoglobin which are independent from the cadherin-catenin complexes. ..
- Wang X, Grunz Borgmann E, Parrish A. Loss of ?(E)-catenin potentiates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity via increasing apoptosis in renal tubular epithelial cells. Toxicol Sci. 2014;141:254-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that loss of ?(E)-catenin increases apoptosis of tubular epithelial cells which may contribute to the increased nephrotoxicity induced by cisplatin in aged kidney. ..
- Sundfeldt K, Piontkewitz Y, Billig H, Hedin L. E-cadherin-catenin complex in the rat ovary: cell-specific expression during folliculogenesis and luteal formation. J Reprod Fertil. 2000;118:375-85 pubmed
- Meng Q, Qi M, Chen D, Yuan R, Goldberg I, Rosen E, et al. Suppression of breast cancer invasion and migration by indole-3-carbinol: associated with up-regulation of BRCA1 and E-cadherin/catenin complexes. J Mol Med (Berl). 2000;78:155-65 pubmed..Thus, clinical application of I3C may contribute to the potential benefit for suppression of breast cancer invasion and metastasis. ..
- Katafiasz B, Nieman M, Wheelock M, Johnson K. Characterization of cadherin-24, a novel alternatively spliced type II cadherin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27513-9 pubmed..In addition, aggregation assays show that both forms of cadherin-24 mediate strong cell-cell adhesion. ..
- Carico E, Atlante M, Bucci B, Nofroni I, Vecchione A. E-cadherin and alpha-catenin expression during tumor progression of cervical carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2001;80:156-61 pubmed
- Lallemand D, Curto M, Saotome I, Giovannini M, McClatchey A. NF2 deficiency promotes tumorigenesis and metastasis by destabilizing adherens junctions. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1090-100 pubmed..Our studies indicate that merlin functions as a tumor and metastasis suppressor by controlling cadherin-mediated cell:cell contact. ..
- Bear M, Liu T, Abualkhair S, Ghamloush M, Hill N, Preston I, et al. Alpha-Catulin Co-Localizes With Vimentin Intermediate Filaments and Functions in Pulmonary Vascular Endothelial Cell Migration via ROCK. J Cell Physiol. 2016;231:934-43 pubmed publisher..J. Cell. Physiol. 231: 934-943, 2016. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Park D, Karesen R, Axcrona U, Noren T, Sauer T. Expression pattern of adhesion molecules (E-cadherin, alpha-, beta-, gamma-catenin and claudin-7), their influence on survival in primary breast carcinoma, and their corresponding axillary lymph node metastasis. APMIS. 2007;115:52-65 pubmed
- Goossens S, Janssens B, Bonne S, De Rycke R, Braet F, van Hengel J, et al. A unique and specific interaction between alphaT-catenin and plakophilin-2 in the area composita, the mixed-type junctional structure of cardiac intercalated discs. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2126-36 pubmed..This could explain the devastating effect of plakophilin-2 mutations on cell junction stability in intercalated discs, which lead to cardiac muscle malfunction. ..
- van Oort I, Tomita K, Van Bokhoven A, Bussemakers M, Kiemeney L, Karthaus H, et al. The prognostic value of E-cadherin and the cadherin-associated molecules alpha-, beta-, gamma-catenin and p120ctn in prostate cancer specific survival: a long-term follow-up study. Prostate. 2007;67:1432-8 pubmed..Among these markers, alpha-catenin seems the best prognostic marker for prostate cancer specific survival. Larger studies are needed to confirm this result. ..
- Shimazui T, Bringuier P, van Berkel H, Ruijter E, Akaza H, Debruyne F, et al. Decreased expression of alpha-catenin is associated with poor prognosis of patients with localized renal cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 1997;74:523-8 pubmed
- Sorkin B, Wang M, Dobeck J, Albergo K, Skobe Z. The cadherin-catenin complex is expressed alternately with the adenomatous polyposis coli protein during rat incisor amelogenesis. J Histochem Cytochem. 2000;48:397-406 pubmed
- Tomlinson J, Alpaugh M, Barsky S. An intact overexpressed E-cadherin/alpha,beta-catenin axis characterizes the lymphovascular emboli of inflammatory breast carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2001;61:5231-41 pubmed..A total of 90% of human IBCs showed increased membrane E-cadherin/alpha,beta-catenin immunoreactivity. These findings indicate that it is the gain and not the loss of the E-cadherin axis that contributes to the IBC phenotype. ..
- Uehara K, Uehara A. Localization of claudin-5 and ZO-1 in rat spleen sinus endothelial cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:95-103 pubmed..Thus, ZO-1 might play an important role in regulating the cell-cell junctions of sinus endothelial cells for blood-cell passage through splenic cords. ..
- Livshits G, Kobielak A, Fuchs E. Governing epidermal homeostasis by coupling cell-cell adhesion to integrin and growth factor signaling, proliferation, and apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:4886-91 pubmed publisher..The increased dependency of cells upon matrix interactions for their survival when cell-cell adhesions are destabilized has important implications for cancer progression and metastasis...
- Nozumi M, Togano T, Takahashi Niki K, Lu J, Honda A, Taoka M, et al. Identification of functional marker proteins in the mammalian growth cone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17211-6 pubmed publisher..Most of the proteins we identified have not previously been implicated in axon growth and thus their identification presents a significant step forward, providing marker proteins and candidate neuronal growth-associated proteins. ..
- Kashibuchi K, Tomita K, Schalken J, Kume H, Yamaguchi T, Muto S, et al. The prognostic value of E-cadherin, alpha-, beta-, and gamma-catenin in urothelial cancer of the upper urinary tract. Eur Urol. 2006;49:839-45; discussion 845 pubmed..Our data suggest E-cadherin may be a good prognostic marker for patients with upper urinary tract cancer. ..
- Sheth B, Fontaine J, Ponza E, McCallum A, Page A, Citi S, et al. Differentiation of the epithelial apical junctional complex during mouse preimplantation development: a role for rab13 in the early maturation of the tight junction. Mech Dev. 2000;97:93-104 pubmed..Moreover, we propose a role for rab13 in the specification of the AJC site and the formation and segregation of the TJ. ..
- Sobarzo C, Lustig L, Ponzio R, Denduchis B. Effect of di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate on N-cadherin and catenin protein expression in rat testis. Reprod Toxicol. 2006;22:77-86 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that DEHP induces an up-regulation of N-cadherin and alpha-catenin expression and may perturb cell-cell adhesion phenomena in the seminiferous tubule. ..
- Smythe W, Williams J, Wheelock M, Johnson K, Kaiser L, Albelda S. Cadherin and catenin expression in normal human bronchial epithelium and non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 1999;24:157-68 pubmed
- Blanco D, Vicent S, Elizegi E, Pino I, Fraga M, Esteller M, et al. Altered expression of adhesion molecules and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in silica-induced rat lung carcinogenesis. Lab Invest. 2004;84:999-1012 pubmed
- Ohsugi M, Hwang S, Butz S, Knowles B, Solter D, Kemler R. Expression and cell membrane localization of catenins during mouse preimplantation development. Dev Dyn. 1996;206:391-402 pubmed
- Davies B, Worsley S, Ponder B. Expression of E-cadherin, alpha-catenin and beta-catenin in normal ovarian surface epithelium and epithelial ovarian cancers. Histopathology. 1998;32:69-80 pubmed..It is likely that the catenins associate with membrane proteins other than E-cadherin in ovarian epithelium, and they may possibly function as tumour suppressors in this epithelium. ..
- Hertig C, Butz S, Koch S, Eppenberger Eberhardt M, Kemler R, Eppenberger H. N-cadherin in adult rat cardiomyocytes in culture. II. Spatio-temporal appearance of proteins involved in cell-cell contact and communication. Formation of two distinct N-cadherin/catenin complexes. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 1):11-20 pubmed