Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cryab
Description: crystallin, alpha B
Alias: AACRYA, alpha-crystallin B chain, Crystallin, alpha polypeptide 2, alpha(B)-crystallin
- Brady J, Garland D, Green D, Tamm E, Giblin F, Wawrousek E. AlphaB-crystallin in lens development and muscle integrity: a gene knockout approach. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42:2924-34 pubmed..It may play a small role in maintaining transparency throughout life. alphaB and/or the closely related HSPB2 is required to maintain muscle cell integrity in some skeletal muscles. ..
- Gangalum R, Schibler M, Bhat S. Small heat shock protein alphaB-crystallin is part of cell cycle-dependent Golgi reorganization. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:43374-7 pubmed
- Sanbe A, Yamauchi J, Miyamoto Y, Fujiwara Y, Murabe M, Tanoue A. Interruption of CryAB-amyloid oligomer formation by HSP22. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:555-63 pubmedAn R120G missense mutation in alpha-B-crystallin (CryAB), a small heat-shock protein (HSP), causes a desmin-related cardiomyopathy (DRM) that is characterized by the formation of aggregates containing CryAB and desmin...
- Tang S, Lv Y, Chen H, Adam A, Cheng Y, Hartung J, et al. Comparative analysis of ?B-crystallin expression in heat-stressed myocardial cells in vivo and in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86937 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?B-crystallin is a potential biomarker of heat stress. ..
- Bai F, Xi J, Andley U. Up-regulation of tau, a brain microtubule-associated protein, in lens cortical fractions of aged alphaA-, alphaB-, and alphaA/B-crystallin knockout mice. Mol Vis. 2007;13:1589-600 pubmed..In the present study we examined the expression of the brain microtubule associated protein tau in lenses of alpha-crystallin gene knockout mice...
- Aggeli I, Beis I, Gaitanaki C. Oxidative stress and calpain inhibition induce alpha B-crystallin phosphorylation via p38-MAPK and calcium signalling pathways in H9c2 cells. Cell Signal. 2008;20:1292-302 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings underline alphaB-crystallin crucial role as a participant of cardiac cells early response to stressful stimuli compromising their survival. ..
- Nahomi R, Wang B, Raghavan C, Voss O, Doseff A, Santhoshkumar P, et al. Chaperone peptides of ?-crystallin inhibit epithelial cell apoptosis, protein insolubilization, and opacification in experimental cataracts. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:13022-35 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the ?-crystallin chaperone peptides could be used as therapeutic agents to treat cataracts and diseases in which protein aggregation and apoptosis are contributing factors. ..
- Xi J, Bai F, McGaha R, Andley U. Alpha-crystallin expression affects microtubule assembly and prevents their aggregation. FASEB J. 2006;20:846-57 pubmed..SDS-PAGE analysis showed that alpha-crystallin prevented heat-induced aggregation of tubulin, suggesting that alpha-crystallin may affect microtubule assembly by maintaining the pool of unassembled tubulin. ..
- Manikandan R, Beulaja M, Thiagarajan R, Arumugam M. Effect of curcumin on the modulation of ?A- and ?B-crystallin and heat shock protein 70 in selenium-induced cataractogenesis in Wistar rat pups. Mol Vis. 2011;17:388-94 pubmed..Curcumin suppressed the expression of selenite-induced ?A- and ?B-crystallin and Hsp 70, and may therefore suppress cataract formation in rat pups. ..
- Pereira M, Santos A, GonÃ§alves D, Cardoso A, Consonni S, Gozzo F, et al. Î±B-crystallin interacts with and prevents stress-activated proteolysis of focal adhesion kinase by calpain in cardiomyocytes. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5159 pubmed publisher..These studies define a role for Î±B-crystallin in controlling FAK function and cardiomyocyte survival through the prevention of calpain-mediated degradation of FAK. ..
- Ke K, Li L, Rui Y, Zheng H, Tan X, Xu W, et al. Increased expression of small heat shock protein ?B-crystallin after intracerebral hemorrhage in adult rats. J Mol Neurosci. 2013;51:159-69 pubmed publisher..Our in vitro study, using ?BC RNA interference in PC12 cells, indicated that ?BC might exert its anti-apoptotic function in neuronal apoptosis. Thus, ?BC may play a role in protecting the brain from secondary damage following ICH. ..
- Roquemore E, Chevrier M, Cotter R, Hart G. Dynamic O-GlcNAcylation of the small heat shock protein alpha B-crystallin. Biochemistry. 1996;35:3578-86 pubmed
- Golenhofen N, Arbeiter A, Koob R, Drenckhahn D. Ischemia-induced association of the stress protein alpha B-crystallin with I-band portion of cardiac titin. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2002;34:309-19 pubmed..Binding of alpha B-crystallin to titin during cardiac ischemia could serve to stabilize titin against denaturation and might provide an endogenous mechanism to delay ischemic damage of this important elastic component of myofibrils. ..
- Bagneris C, Bateman O, Naylor C, Cronin N, Boelens W, Keep N, et al. Crystal structures of alpha-crystallin domain dimers of alphaB-crystallin and Hsp20. J Mol Biol. 2009;392:1242-52 pubmed publisher..The empty pockets and groove provide a starting model for designing drugs to inhibit those sHsps that have a negative effect on cancer treatment. ..
- Hishiya A, Salman M, Carra S, Kampinga H, Takayama S. BAG3 directly interacts with mutated alphaB-crystallin to suppress its aggregation and toxicity. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16828 pubmed publisher..and human skeletal and cardiac muscle disorder while mutations in the small heat shock protein ?B-crystallin gene (CRYAB) are reported to be responsible for myofibrillar myopathy...
- Jehle S, Rajagopal P, Bardiaux B, Markovic S, Kühne R, Stout J, et al. Solid-state NMR and SAXS studies provide a structural basis for the activation of alphaB-crystallin oligomers. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:1037-42 pubmed publisher..Intermolecular restraints from NMR and volumetric restraints from SAXS were combined to calculate a model of a 24-subunit alphaB oligomer with tetrahedral symmetry. ..
- Li R, Rohatgi T, Hanck T, Reiser G. Alpha A-crystallin and alpha B-crystallin, newly identified interaction proteins of protease-activated receptor-2, rescue astrocytes from C2-ceramide- and staurosporine-induced cell death. J Neurochem. 2009;110:1433-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, both PAR-2 and alpha-crystallins are involved in cytoprotection in astrocytes. ..
- Boyle D, Takemoto L, Brady J, Wawrousek E. Morphological characterization of the Alpha A- and Alpha B-crystallin double knockout mouse lens. BMC Ophthalmol. 2003;3:3 pubmed..These results indicated that both alpha A- and alpha B-crystallin are necessary for proper fiber cell formation, and that the absence of alpha-crystallin can lead to cataract formation. ..
- Mitra A, Ray A, Datta R, Sengupta S, Sarkar S. Cardioprotective role of P38 MAPK during myocardial infarction via parallel activation of ?-crystallin B and Nrf2. J Cell Physiol. 2014;229:1272-82 pubmed publisher..and the conventional mitochondrial pathway is bypassed by activation of a small heat shock protein ?-crystallin B (CRYAB)...
- Fu L, Liang J. Alteration of protein-protein interactions of congenital cataract crystallin mutants. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:1155-9 pubmed..extends those findings to the following crystallin genes involved in some congenital cataracts: CRYAA (R116C), CRYAB (R120G), and CRYGC (T5P). A mammalian two-hybrid system was used to assay the protein-protein interactions...
- Singh B, Rao K, Ramakrishna T, Rangaraj N, Rao C. Association of alphaB-crystallin, a small heat shock protein, with actin: role in modulating actin filament dynamics in vivo. J Mol Biol. 2007;366:756-67 pubmed..Further, our studies suggest that the association of alphaB-crystallin with actin helps maintenance of pinocytosis, a physiological function essential for survival of cells. ..
- Somasundaram T, Bhat S. Developmentally dictated expression of heat shock factors: exclusive expression of HSF4 in the postnatal lens and its specific interaction with alphaB-crystallin heat shock promoter. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:44497-503 pubmed
- Rumyantseva Y, Fursova A, Fedoseeva L, Kolosova N. Changes in physicochemical parameters and alpha-crystallin expression in the lens during cataract development in OXYS rats. 5. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2008;73:1176-82 pubmed..The changes observed in OXYS rats are evidently associated with the dystrophic changes in lens epithelium, which we have described earlier, and are consistent with the model of senile cataract...
- Fujita Y, Ohto E, Katayama E, Atomi Y. alphaB-Crystallin-coated MAP microtubule resists nocodazole and calcium-induced disassembly. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:1719-26 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that one of the functions of alphaB-crystallin is to bind MTs via MAP(s) and to give the MTs resistance to disassembly. ..
- Marunouchi T, Abe Y, Murata M, Inomata S, Sanbe A, Takagi N, et al. Changes in small heat shock proteins HSPB1, HSPB5 and HSPB8 in mitochondria of the failing heart following myocardial infarction in rats. Biol Pharm Bull. 2013;36:529-39 pubmed..These findings suggest that small HSPs, at least in part, play an important role in the development of the impaired mitochondrial energy-producing ability that leads to heart failure after a myocardial infarction. ..
- Pattison J, Osinska H, Robbins J. Atg7 induces basal autophagy and rescues autophagic deficiency in CryABR120G cardiomyocytes. Circ Res. 2011;109:151-60 pubmed publisher..Several cardiomyopathies, including the ?B-crystallin R120G mutation (CryAB(R120G)) model of desmin-related cardiomyopathy, accumulate cytotoxic misfolded proteins in the form of preamyloid ..
- Michl M, Ouyang N, Fraek M, Beck F, Neuhofer W. Expression and regulation of alphaB-crystallin in the kidney in vivo and in vitro. Pflugers Arch. 2006;452:387-95 pubmed..Moreover, the high abundance of alphaB-crystallin in the renal medulla may be important for cell survival in an environment characterized by extreme interstitial solute concentrations as present during antidiuresis. ..
- Vos M, Kanon B, Kampinga H. HSPB7 is a SC35 speckle resident small heat shock protein. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:1343-53 pubmed publisher..The functional divergence between HSPB members seems larger than previously expected and also includes non-canonical members lacking classical chaperone-like functions. ..
- Pasta S, Raman B, Ramakrishna T, Rao C. Role of the C-terminal extensions of alpha-crystallins. Swapping the C-terminal extension of alpha-crystallin to alphaB-crystallin results in enhanced chaperone activity. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45821-8 pubmed..Our study demonstrates that the unstructured C-terminal extensions play a crucial role in the structure and chaperone activity, in addition to generally believed electrostatic "solubilizer" function. ..
- Kumar M, Koteiche H, Claxton D, McHaourab H. Disulfide cross-links in the interaction of a cataract-linked alphaA-crystallin mutant with betaB1-crystallin. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:175-9 pubmed publisher..Covalent protein cross-links are a hallmark of age-related cataract and may be a factor in its inherited form. ..
- Kumarapeli A, Su H, Huang W, Tang M, Zheng H, Horak K, et al. Alpha B-crystallin suppresses pressure overload cardiac hypertrophy. Circ Res. 2008;103:1473-82 pubmed publisherAlphaB-crystallin (CryAB) is the most abundant small heat shock protein (HSP) constitutively expressed in cardiomyocytes...
- Bartelt Kirbach B, Slowik A, Beyer C, Golenhofen N. Upregulation and phosphorylation of HspB1/Hsp25 and HspB5/Î±B-crystallin after transient middle cerebral artery occlusion in rats. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2017;22:653-663 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that among all HspBs, HspB1 and HspB5 might be most important in the neuronal stress response to ischemia/reperfusion injury in the brain and might be involved in neuroprotection. ..
- Aki T, Yoshida K, Mizukami Y. The mechanism of alphaB-crystallin gene expression by proteasome inhibition. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;311:162-7 pubmed
- Delbecq S, Jehle S, Klevit R. Binding determinants of the small heat shock protein, ?B-crystallin: recognition of the 'IxI' motif. EMBO J. 2012;31:4587-94 pubmed publisher..IxI-mimicking peptides bind the isolated ACD at 22°C in a manner similar to interactions observed in the oligomer at low temperature, confirming these interactions are likely to exist in functional ?B oligomers. ..
- Lee S, Rho J, Lee S, Yoo S, Kim H, Chung W, et al. Alpha B-Crystallin Protects Rat Articular Chondrocytes against Casein Kinase II Inhibition-Induced Apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166450 pubmed publisher..In summary, ?B-crystallin protects rat articular chondrocytes against CK2 inhibition-induced apoptosis. ?B-crystallin may represent a suitable target for pharmacological interventions to prevent OA. ..
- Schmidt T, Fischer D, Andreadaki A, Bartelt Kirbach B, Golenhofen N. Induction and phosphorylation of the small heat shock proteins HspB1/Hsp25 and HspB5/Î±B-crystallin in the rat retina upon optic nerve injury. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2016;21:167-78 pubmed..The molecular targets of phosphoHspB1 and phosphoHspB5 remain to be identified. ..
- Yamashita A, Taniwaki T, Kaikoi Y, Yamazaki T. Protective role of the endoplasmic reticulum protein mitsugumin23 against ultraviolet C-induced cell death. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:1299-303 pubmed publisher..Conversely, ?BC lowered UVC sensitivity when expressed as an ER-anchored form. Taken together, the results suggest that MG23 plays a protective role against UVC by accumulating ?BC in the close vicinity of the ER. ..
- Shin J, Jeong J, Jin Y, Kim I, Lee J. p38? MAPK affords cytoprotection against oxidative stress-induced astrocyte apoptosis via induction of ?B-crystallin and its anti-apoptotic function. Neurosci Lett. 2011;501:132-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that p38? confers protection against H?O?-induced astrocytes apoptosis by inducing a small heat shock protein, ?B-crystallin, which inhibits caspase-3 activation. ..
- Yaung J, Kannan R, Wawrousek E, Spee C, Sreekumar P, Hinton D. Exacerbation of retinal degeneration in the absence of alpha crystallins in an in vivo model of chemically induced hypoxia. Exp Eye Res. 2008;86:355-65 pubmed publisher..We conclude that lack of alpha-crystallins accentuates retinal degeneration in chemically induced hypoxia in vivo. ..
- Bhat S, Horwitz J, Srinivasan A, Ding L. Alpha B-crystallin exists as an independent protein in the heart and in the lens. Eur J Biochem. 1991;202:775-81 pubmed..These data lead to the conclusion that alpha B-crystallin may exist as an independent protein not only in non-lens tissues (e.g. heart) but in the lens as well. ..
- Koh T, Escobedo J. Cytoskeletal disruption and small heat shock protein translocation immediately after lengthening contractions. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C713-22 pubmed
- Pigaga V, Quinlan R. Lenticular chaperones suppress the aggregation of the cataract-causing mutant T5P gamma C-crystallin. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:51-62 pubmed..Both activities could modify the cataract phenotype and help explain the observed variability reported for identical gamma-crystallin mutations, which identify cataract as a polygenic disease. ..
- Abraham E, Huaqian J, Aziz A, Kumarasamy A, Datta P. Role of the specifically targeted lysine residues in the glycation dependent loss of chaperone activity of alpha A- and alpha B-crystallins. Mol Cell Biochem. 2008;310:235-9 pubmed..Chaperone activity also showed concomitant increase with decreasing glycation and AGEs formation. alpha A-K11T and alpha B-K90T/K92T mutants showed the largest decrease in glycation and increase in chaperone activity. ..
- Baldwin A, Lioe H, Hilton G, Baker L, Rubinstein J, Kay L, et al. The polydispersity of ?B-crystallin is rationalized by an interconverting polyhedral architecture. Structure. 2011;19:1855-63 pubmed publisher..The ensuing best-fit structures reveal the polyhedral architecture of ?B-crystallin oligomers, and provide a rationale for their polydispersity and facile interconversion. ..
- Xu F, Yu H, Liu J, Cheng L. ?B-crystallin regulates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in cardiac H9c2 cells via the PI3K/AKT pathway. Mol Biol Rep. 2013;40:2517-26 pubmed publisher..A ?B-crystallin recombinant expression vector, pcDNA3.1-Cryab, was constructed to transfect H9c2 cells for the establishment of cells that stably expressed ?B-crystallin...
- Narayan P, Meehan S, Carver J, Wilson M, Dobson C, Klenerman D. Amyloid-Î² oligomers are sequestered by both intracellular and extracellular chaperones. Biochemistry. 2012;51:9270-6 pubmed publisher..This conclusion suggests that these chaperones, both of which are ATP-independent, are able to inhibit potentially pathogenic AÎ² oligomer-associated processes whether they occur in the extracellular or intracellular environment. ..
- Gonçalves D, Marin T, Pereira M, Santos A, Paes Leme A, Franchini K. ?B-Crystallin interacts and attenuates the tyrosine phosphatase activity of Shp2 in cardiomyocytes under mechanical stress. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:2232-40 pubmed publisherThe small heat shock protein ?B-Crystallin (CryAB, HspB5) and SH2 domain-containing tyrosine phosphatase 2 (Shp2) are important molecules in heart response to pathophysiological stress...
- Park H, Park S, Jeon H, Song B, Kim J, Kim C, et al. Alpha B-crystallin prevents the arrhythmogenic effects of particulate matter isolated from ambient air by attenuating oxidative stress. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013;266:267-75 pubmed publisher..We evaluated whether alpha B-crystallin (CryAB), a heat shock protein, could prevent the arrhythmogenic effects of PM by preventing CaMKII activation...