Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COX1
Description: cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1
Alias: COI, cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1, cytochrome c oxidase subunit I
- Tan X, Liu J, Cao L, Deng Z, Li Y. [Effects of hypoxic exposure on coordinative expression of cytochrome oxidase subunits I and IV in rat cerebral cortex]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2002;54:519-24 pubmed..This study suggests that the expression of COX I and COX IV proteins during hypoxic exposure is coordinately regulated by post-transcriptional mechanisms. ..
- Gao C, Guo H, Wei J, Kuo P. Osteopontin inhibits expression of cytochrome c oxidase in RAW 264.7 murine macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;309:120-5 pubmed..CCO enzyme activity was also significantly decreased by OPN. Our results indicate that OPN inhibits CCOI expression as the result of a novel CD44-dependent transcriptional regulatory mechanism of the mitochondrial H strand. ..
- Tai C, Boraud T, Bezard E, Bioulac B, Gross C, Benazzouz A. Electrophysiological and metabolic evidence that high-frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus bridles neuronal activity in the subthalamic nucleus and the substantia nigra reticulata. FASEB J. 2003;17:1820-30 pubmed..We used extracellular recording and in situ cytochrome oxidase (CoI) mRNA hybridization to investigate the effects of HFS of the STN on neuronal activity of the STN and the substantia ..
- Sheehan T, Kumar P, Hood D. Tissue-specific regulation of cytochrome c oxidase subunit expression by thyroid hormone. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;286:E968-74 pubmed..The nature of this regulation differs between tissues possessing a high mitochondrial content, like liver and heart. ..
- Li X, Zhang L, Guan M. Cloning and characterization of mouse mTERF encoding a mitochondrial transcriptional termination factor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;326:505-10 pubmed..These observations suggest that the mouse mTERF is an evolutionarily conserved mitochondrial transcription termination factor, thereby promoting the termination of transcription in mitochondrial RNA. ..
- Taira M, Yoshida E, Kobayashi M, Yaginuma K, Koike K. Tumor-associated mutations of rat mitochondrial transfer RNA genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11:1635-43 pubmed..These structures are extraordinary compared with those of the tRNA genes of other mammals, indicating that these mutations are each associated with a corresponding tumor. ..
- Wang J, Cao Y, Chen Y, Chen Y, Gardner P, Steiner D. Pancreatic beta cells lack a low glucose and O2-inducible mitochondrial protein that augments cell survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10636-41 pubmed..Ectopic expression of HIMP1 in MIN6 beta cells protects the cells from apoptosis induced by several stimuli and prolongs their survival. These results suggest an important role for HIMP1 in stress protective programs in mitochondria. ..
- Martins Marques T, Anjo S, Pereira P, Manadas B, GirÃ£o H. Interacting Network of the Gap Junction (GJ) Protein Connexin43 (Cx43) is Modulated by Ischemia and Reperfusion in the Heart. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:3040-55 pubmed publisher..Data are available via ProteomeXchange with identifier PXD002331. ..
- Tominaga M, Kurihara H, Honda S, Amakawa G, Sakai T, Tomooka Y. Molecular characterization of mitocalcin, a novel mitochondrial Ca2+-binding protein with EF-hand and coiled-coil domains. J Neurochem. 2006;96:292-304 pubmed..These findings suggest that mitocalcin may play roles in neuronal differentiation and function through the control of mitochondrial function. ..
- Varlamov D, Kudin A, Vielhaber S, Schroder R, Sassen R, Becker A, et al. Metabolic consequences of a novel missense mutation of the mtDNA CO I gene. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:1797-805 pubmed..This is due to a 2-fold increase of COX flux control on muscle fiber respiration and a 30% decrease of COX metabolic threshold, supporting the concept of tight COX control of oxidative phosphorylation in skeletal muscle. ..
- Ku C, Lu Q, Ussuf K, Weinstock G, Sanborn B. Hormonal regulation of cytochrome oxidase subunit messenger RNAs in rat Sertoli cells. Mol Endocrinol. 1991;5:1669-76 pubmed..9- and 5.4-fold, respectively), whereas the smaller effects elicited by forskolin and FSH were not statistically significant.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Hirao A, Kondo K, Takeuchi K, Inui N, Umemura K, Ohashi K, et al. Cyclooxygenase-dependent vasoconstricting factor(s) in remodelled rat femoral arteries. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;79:161-8 pubmed publisher..In remodelled arteries following photochemical endothelial injury, the vasoconstrictive prostanoids PGH2 and PGF2alpha, but not TXA2, contribute to changes in endothelium-dependent vascular response via COX-1- and 2-dependent pathways. ..
- Johnson W, Anderson C. Cardiac cytochrome C oxidase activity and contents of subunits 1 and 4 are altered in offspring by low prenatal copper intake by rat dams. J Nutr. 2008;138:1269-73 pubmed..CCO activity, the content of the mitochondrial-encoded CCO subunit 1 (COX1), and the content of the nuclear-encoded subunit COX4 in cardiac mitochondria were reduced in the 21-d-old ..
- Sanchez E, Lobo T, Fox J, Zeviani M, Winge D, Fernandez Vizarra E. LYRM7/MZM1L is a UQCRFS1 chaperone involved in the last steps of mitochondrial Complex III assembly in human cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1827:285-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, LYRM7/MZM1L is a novel human CIII assembly factor involved in the UQCRFS1 insertion step, which enables formation of the mature and functional CIII enzyme. ..
- Vygodina T, Kirichenko A, Konstantinov A. Direct regulation of cytochrome c oxidase by calcium ions. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74436 pubmed publisher..Ca(2+)- binding at the Cation Binding Site is proposed to inhibit proton-transfer through the exit part of the proton conducting pathway H in the mammalian oxidases. ..
- Renis M, Cantatore P, Loguercio Polosa P, Fracasso F, Gadaleta M. Content of mitochondrial DNA and of three mitochondrial RNAs in developing and adult rat cerebellum. J Neurochem. 1989;52:750-4 pubmedThe content of DNA and of 16S rRNA and of two mRNAs, i.e., the mRNA for the cytochrome c oxidase subunit I and the mRNA for one subunit of the NADH dehydrogenase (ND4), in free (nonsynaptic) mitochondria of developing and adult rat ..
- Van Kuilenburg A, Dekker H, Van den Bogert C, Nieboer P, van Gelder B, Muijsers A. Isoforms of human cytochrome-c oxidase. Subunit composition and steady-state kinetic properties. Eur J Biochem. 1991;199:615-22 pubmed..Our findings emphasize the importance of using human cytochrome c in kinetic assays performed with tissues from patients with a suspected cytochrome-c oxidase deficiency. ..
- Xu F, Ackerley C, Maj M, Addis J, Levandovskiy V, Lee J, et al. Disruption of a mitochondrial RNA-binding protein gene results in decreased cytochrome b expression and a marked reduction in ubiquinol-cytochrome c reductase activity in mouse heart mitochondria. Biochem J. 2008;416:15-26 pubmed publisher..This defines the site for PTCD2 action in mammalian mitochondria and suggests a possible role for dysfunction of this protein in the aetiology of heart failure...
- Liu Y, Qi J, Jia S. [Effects of estrogen on activity and subunits expression of cytochrome C oxidase in mitochondria from genioglossus of rats subjected to chronic intermittent hypoxia]. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2008;43:604-7 pubmed..05). CIH exposure could decrease mitochondrial COX protein expression and activity in the genioglossus of the rat, while estrogen administration might be beneficial to the recovery of those. ..
- Oswald C, Krause Buchholz U, Rödel G. Knockdown of human COX17 affects assembly and supramolecular organization of cytochrome c oxidase. J Mol Biol. 2009;389:470-9 pubmed publisher..We observe the accumulation of a novel approximately 150 kDa complex that contains Cox1, but not Cox2...
- Yang H, Brosel S, Acin Perez R, Slavkovich V, Nishino I, Khan R, et al. Analysis of mouse models of cytochrome c oxidase deficiency owing to mutations in Sco2. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:170-80 pubmed publisher..These mouse models should be of use in further studies of Sco2 function, as well as in testing therapeutic approaches to treat the human disorder. ..
- Hudson E, Tsuchiya N, Hansford R. Age-associated changes in mitochondrial mRNA expression and translation in the Wistar rat heart. Mech Ageing Dev. 1998;103:179-93 pubmed..most individually radiolabeled translation products including the COX subunits and specifically, a 23% decrease in COX1 protein steady-state levels according to Western analysis...