Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cnga1
Description: cyclic nucleotide gated channel alpha 1
Alias: Cncg, HCN, cGMP-gated cation channel alpha-1, CNG channel alpha-1, CNG-1, CNG1, cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel 1, cyclic nucleotide-gated channel, photoreceptor, rod photoreceptor cGMP-gated channel subunit alpha
- Podda M, D Ascenzo M, Leone L, Piacentini R, Azzena G, Grassi C. Functional role of cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in rat medial vestibular nucleus neurons. J Physiol. 2008;586:803-15 pubmed..The majority of MVNn expressed both CNG1 and CNG2 A subunits...
- Podda M, Marcocci M, Del Carlo B, Palamara A, Azzena G, Grassi C. Expression of cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in the rat medial vestibular nucleus. Neuroreport. 2005;16:1939-43 pubmed..Here, we demonstrate the expression of the alpha-subunit of rod- and olfactory-type CNG channels (CNG1 and CNG2, respectively) in the rat medial vestibular nucleus (MVN)...
- Zhang Y, Zhang N, Gyulkhandanyan A, Xu E, Gaisano H, Wheeler M, et al. Presence of functional hyperpolarisation-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in clonal alpha cell lines and rat islet alpha cells. Diabetologia. 2008;51:2290-8 pubmed publisherThe hyperpolarisation-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated (HCN) channels, discovered initially in cardiac and neuronal cells, mediate the inward pacemaker current (I (f) or I (h))...
- Dryja T, Finn J, Peng Y, McGee T, Berson E, Yau K. Mutations in the gene encoding the alpha subunit of the rod cGMP-gated channel in autosomal recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10177-81 pubmed..We conclude that the absence or paucity of functional cGMP-gated cation channels in the plasma membrane is deleterious to rod photoreceptors and is an uncommon cause of RP. ..
- Gupta V, Rajala A, Daly R, Rajala R. Growth factor receptor-bound protein 14: a new modulator of photoreceptor-specific cyclic-nucleotide-gated channel. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:861-7 pubmed publisher..we report that Grb14 interacts with the rod photoreceptor-specific cyclic-nucleotide-gated channel alpha subunit (CNGA1) and decreases its affinity for cyclic guanosine monophosphate...
- Singh D, Lampe P. Identification of connexin-43 interacting proteins. Cell Commun Adhes. 2003;10:215-20 pubmed..Further in vitro/in vivo analysis of these interacting proteins will help in our understanding of the global role of connexins in regulating development, cell metabolism and growth. ..
- Yang Z, Chen Y, Lillo C, Chien J, Yu Z, Michaelides M, et al. Mutant prominin 1 found in patients with macular degeneration disrupts photoreceptor disk morphogenesis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:2908-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results identify what we believe to be a novel complex involved in photoreceptor disk morphogenesis and indicate a possible role for PROM1 and PCDH21 in macular degeneration. ..
- Gracelli J, Souza Menezes J, Barbosa C, Ornellas F, Takiya C, Alves L, et al. Role of estrogen and progesterone in the modulation of CNG-A1 and Na/K+-ATPase expression in the renal cortex. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2012;30:160-72 pubmed publisher..In this work, we observed that estrogen and progesterone act in renal tissues modulating CNG-A1 and Na(+)/K(+) ATPase and these effects could be important in Na(+) and water balance. ..
- Wright A, Chakarova C, Abd El Aziz M, Bhattacharya S. Photoreceptor degeneration: genetic and mechanistic dissection of a complex trait. Nat Rev Genet. 2010;11:273-84 pubmed publisher..Although genetic and mechanistic diversity creates challenges for therapy, some approaches--particularly gene-replacement therapy--are showing considerable promise. ..
- Bradley J, Zhang Y, Bakin R, Lester H, Ronnett G, Zinn K. Functional expression of the heteromeric "olfactory" cyclic nucleotide-gated channel in the hippocampus: a potential effector of synaptic plasticity in brain neurons. J Neurosci. 1997;17:1993-2005 pubmed..Our results suggest that the "olfactory" cng channel could regulate synaptic efficacy in brain neurons by modulating Ca2+ levels in response to changes in cyclic nucleotide concentrations. ..
- Lopez Jimenez M, Gonzalez J, Lizasoain I, Sánchez Prieto J, Hernández Guijo J, Torres M. Functional cGMP-gated channels in cerebellar granule cells. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:2252-63 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that the CNGC subunits (CNGA1 and CNGB1, presumably the 1b isoform) are expressed in rat cerebellar granule cells and that they combine to form ..
- Berridge M. Calcium signalling remodelling and disease. Biochem Soc Trans. 2012;40:297-309 pubmed publisher..Such subtle dysregulation of Ca2+ signals have been linked to some of the major diseases in humans such as cardiac disease, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Zhang J, Zhuang Q, Li B, Wu G, Yung W, Zhu J, et al. Selective Modulation of Histaminergic Inputs on Projection Neurons of Cerebellum Rapidly Promotes Motor Coordination via HCN Channels. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:1386-401 pubmed publisher..neurons but not interneurons in the cerebellar nuclei via the hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated (HCN) channels coupled to histamine H2 receptors, which are exclusively expressed on glutamatergic and glycinergic ..
- Shi F, Perez E, Wang T, Peitz B, LaPolt P. Stage- and cell-specific expression of soluble guanylyl cyclase alpha and beta subunits, cGMP-dependent protein kinase I alpha and beta, and cyclic nucleotide-gated channel subunit 1 in the rat testis. J Androl. 2005;26:258-63 pubmed..The distinct temporal patterns of expression of these components of cGMP signaling pathways suggest different physiological roles for sGC, PKG-I, and CNG-1 in spermiogenesis and steroidogenesis. ..
- Kaupp U, Seifert R. Cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channels. Physiol Rev. 2002;82:769-824 pubmed..In particular, mutations in the A and B subunits of the CNG channel expressed in human cones cause various forms of complete and incomplete achromatopsia. ..
- Varga V, Hangya B, Kránitz K, Ludányi A, Zemankovics R, Katona I, et al. The presence of pacemaker HCN channels identifies theta rhythmic GABAergic neurons in the medial septum. J Physiol. 2008;586:3893-915 pubmed publisher..In recent studies the hyperpolarization-activated, cyclic nucleotide-gated non-selective cation (HCN) channel was shown to participate in theta synchronization of the medial septum...
- Hüttl S, Michalakis S, Seeliger M, Luo D, Acar N, Geiger H, et al. Impaired channel targeting and retinal degeneration in mice lacking the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel subunit CNGB1. J Neurosci. 2005;25:130-8 pubmed..In the absence of CNGB1, only trace amounts of the CNGA1 subunit were found on the rod outer segment...
- Gupta V, Rajala A, Rajala R. Insulin receptor regulates photoreceptor CNG channel activity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;303:E1363-72 pubmed publisher..Here we report that insulin receptor (IR), an integral membrane protein, directly phosphorylates the CNGA1 subunit of CNG channels that in turn affects the function of these channels negatively...
- Brewster A, Bender R, Chen Y, Dube C, Eghbal Ahmadi M, Baram T. Developmental febrile seizures modulate hippocampal gene expression of hyperpolarization-activated channels in an isoform- and cell-specific manner. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4591-9 pubmed..the hyperpolarization-activated, cyclic nucleotide-gated channels (HCNs): In CA1 neurons expressing multiple HCN isoforms, the seizures induced a coordinated reduction of HCN1 mRNA and enhancement of HCN2 expression, thus ..
- Barnstable C, Wei J Y -. Isolation and characterization of the alpha-subunit of the rat rod photoreceptor cGMP-gated cation channel. J Mol Neurosci. 1995;6:289-302 pubmed..Immunocytochemical labeling of adult rat retinal sections detected prominent labeling over the rod photoreceptor outer segments with both monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies. ..