Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cldn1
Description: claudin 1
- Furuse M, Fujita K, Hiiragi T, Fujimoto K, Tsukita S. Claudin-1 and -2: novel integral membrane proteins localizing at tight junctions with no sequence similarity to occludin. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1539-50 pubmed
- Kirschner N, Rosenthal R, Furuse M, Moll I, Fromm M, Brandner J. Contribution of tight junction proteins to ion, macromolecule, and water barrier in keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2013;133:1161-9 pubmed publisher..The absence of the TJ protein claudin-1 (Cldn1) in mice results in a skin-barrier defect characterized by lethal water loss...
- Kubota K, Furuse M, Sasaki H, Sonoda N, Fujita K, Nagafuchi A, et al. Ca(2+)-independent cell-adhesion activity of claudins, a family of integral membrane proteins localized at tight junctions. Curr Biol. 1999;9:1035-8 pubmed..Thus, claudins are responsible for TJ-specific obliteration of the intercellular space. ..
- Furuse M, Sasaki H, Tsukita S. Manner of interaction of heterogeneous claudin species within and between tight junction strands. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:891-903 pubmed..We concluded that distinct species of claudins can interact within and between TJ strands, except in some combinations. This mode of assembly of claudins could increase the diversity of the structure and functions of TJ strands. ..
- Furuse M, Hata M, Furuse K, Yoshida Y, Haratake A, Sugitani Y, et al. Claudin-based tight junctions are crucial for the mammalian epidermal barrier: a lesson from claudin-1-deficient mice. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:1099-111 pubmed..These findings provide the first evidence that continuous claudin-based TJs occur in the epidermis and that these TJs are crucial for the barrier function of the mammalian skin. ..
- Hadj Rabia S, Baala L, Vabres P, Hamel Teillac D, Jacquemin E, Fabre M, et al. Claudin-1 gene mutations in neonatal sclerosing cholangitis associated with ichthyosis: a tight junction disease. Gastroenterology. 2004;127:1386-90 pubmed..Bile duct injury may be related to the absence of claudin-1 expression in cholangiocytes. Our observation, in conjunction with ZO-2-associated hypercholanemia, emphasizes the role played by TJ components in hereditary cholestasis. ..
- Yadav B, Shin B. Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms of Tight Junction Component Claudin-1 Associated with Leukoaraiosis. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2015;24:1662-70 pubmed publisher..45 and .57, respectively. This study demonstrated first evidence of genetic polymorphism of TJ component claudin-1 and their haplotypes associated with LA. ..
- Poritz L, Harris L, Kelly A, Koltun W. Increase in the tight junction protein claudin-1 in intestinal inflammation. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56:2802-9 pubmed publisher..The C:O ratio was unchanged in CD despite presence or abscence of gross disease. This suggests that there may be an underlying difference in the TJ between UC and CD. ..
- Wang H, Wang P, Wang X, Wan Y, Liu Y. Butyrate enhances intestinal epithelial barrier function via up-regulation of tight junction protein Claudin-1 transcription. Dig Dis Sci. 2012;57:3126-35 pubmed publisher..NaB enhanced intestinal barrier function through increasing Claudin-1 transcription via facilitating the association between SP1 and Claudin-1 promoter. ..
- Kojima T, Takano K, Yamamoto T, Murata M, Son S, Imamura M, et al. Transforming growth factor-beta induces epithelial to mesenchymal transition by down-regulation of claudin-1 expression and the fence function in adult rat hepatocytes. Liver Int. 2008;28:534-45 pubmed..These results suggest that in mature hepatocytes in vitro, TGF-beta induces EMT by down-regulation of claudin-1 and the fence function via distinct signalling pathways. ..
- Raleigh D, Marchiando A, Zhang Y, Shen L, Sasaki H, Wang Y, et al. Tight junction-associated MARVEL proteins marveld3, tricellulin, and occludin have distinct but overlapping functions. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1200-13 pubmed publisher..The data further suggest that these proteins are best considered as a group with both redundant and unique contributions to epithelial function and tight junction regulation. ..
- Zhou Q, Costinean S, Croce C, Brasier A, Merwat S, Larson S, et al. MicroRNA 29 targets nuclear factor-?B-repressing factor and Claudin 1 to increase intestinal permeability. Gastroenterology. 2015;148:158-169.e8 pubmed publisher..but not IBS with constipation or controls) had increased levels of MIR29A and B, but reduced levels of Claudin-1 (CLDN1) and nuclear factor-?B-repressing factor (NKRF)...
- João S, Arana Chavez V. Tight junctions in differentiating ameloblasts and odontoblasts differentially express ZO-1, occludin, and claudin-1 in early odontogenesis of rat molars. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2004;277:338-43 pubmed..Thus, our results showed that ZO-1, occludin, and claudin-1 are differentially expressed as TJs assemble for regulating polarity and/or paracellular permeability in differentiating ameloblasts and odontoblasts. ..
- De Benedetto A, Rafaels N, McGirt L, Ivanov A, Georas S, Cheadle C, et al. Tight junction defects in patients with atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;127:773-86.e1-7 pubmed publisher..nonatopic subjects and screened 2 American populations for single nucleotide polymorphisms in the claudin-1 gene (CLDN1)...
- Zhao H, Zhang Q, Xue Y, Chen X, Haun R. Effects of hyperbaric oxygen on the expression of claudins after cerebral ischemia-reperfusion in rats. Exp Brain Res. 2011;212:109-17 pubmed publisher..Our study provides direct evidence that HBO decreases the permeability of the BBB by reducing the enzymatic activity of MMPs and augmenting the expression of claudins at different stages in cerebral IR injury. ..
- Barthelemy J, Adeeko A, Robaire B, Cyr D. In utero exposure to tributyltin alters the expression of E-cadherin and localization of claudin-1 in intercellular junctions of the rat ventral prostate. Mol Reprod Dev. 2007;74:455-67 pubmed..These data indicate that in utero TBT exposure results in permanent alterations in ventral prostate and that these are associated with alterations in the expression and distribution of cell adhesion and tight junctional proteins. ..
- Dufresne J, Cyr D. Activation of an SP binding site is crucial for the expression of claudin 1 in rat epididymal principal cells. Biol Reprod. 2007;76:825-32 pubmedb>Claudin 1 (CLDN1) is a tight junctional protein present in the epididymis. Limited information exists regarding the regulation of Cldn1 transcription...
- Yamamoto T, Kojima T, Murata M, Takano K, Go M, Hatakeyama N, et al. p38 MAP-kinase regulates function of gap and tight junctions during regeneration of rat hepatocytes. J Hepatol. 2005;42:707-18 pubmed..Dynamic changes of formation of gap and tight junctions during regeneration of rat hepatocytes in vivo and in vitro are in part controlled via a p38 MAP-kinase signaling pathway, and are independent of cell growth. ..
- Fernandez A, Koval M, Fan X, Guidot D. Chronic alcohol ingestion alters claudin expression in the alveolar epithelium of rats. Alcohol. 2007;41:371-9 pubmed..Therefore, these findings suggest that changes in claudin expression in the alveolar epithelium produce a "leakier" phenotype that renders the alcoholic lung susceptible to alveolar flooding during acute inflammatory stresses. ..
- Tian J, Dong X, Chen N, Xu H, Yuan G. [Dexamethasone intensify the tight junctions in rat retinal vascular endothelial cells in vitro]. Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi. 2007;43:646-50 pubmed..Dexamethasone intensifies the tight junctions in rat retinal vascular endothelial cells. Therefore this is one of the mechanisms of treatment of macular edema by glucocorticoid. ..
- Youssef G, Gerner L, Naeem A, Ralph O, Ono M, O Neill C, et al. Rab3Gap1 mediates exocytosis of Claudin-1 and tight junction formation during epidermal barrier acquisition. Dev Biol. 2013;380:274-85 pubmed publisher..Therefore these data suggest Rab3Gap1 mediated exocytosis of Claudin-1 is an important component of epidermal barrier acquisition during epidermal development. ..
- Nico B, Frigeri A, Nicchia G, Corsi P, Ribatti D, Quondamatteo F, et al. Severe alterations of endothelial and glial cells in the blood-brain barrier of dystrophic mdx mice. Glia. 2003;42:235-51 pubmed..The BBB alterations suggest that changes in vascular permeability are involved in the pathogenesis of the neurological dysfunction associated with DMD. ..
- Fujita T, Firth J, Kittaka M, Ekuni D, Kurihara H, Putnins E. Loss of claudin-1 in lipopolysaccharide-treated periodontal epithelium. J Periodontal Res. 2012;47:222-7 pubmed publisher..This decreased level of a critical tight junction protein may result in the disruption of barrier function and may play an important role in the initiation of periodontal disease. ..
- Li X, Akhtar S, Choudhry M. Alteration in intestine tight junction protein phosphorylation and apoptosis is associated with increase in IL-18 levels following alcohol intoxication and burn injury. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1822:196-203 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings suggest that IL-18 modulates tight junction proteins and cause apoptosis leading to impaired intestinal mucosal integrity following EtOH intoxication combined with burn injury. ..
- Georges R, Bergmann F, Hamdi H, Zepp M, Eyol E, Hielscher T, et al. Sequential biphasic changes in claudin1 and claudin4 expression are correlated to colorectal cancer progression and liver metastasis. J Cell Mol Med. 2012;16:260-72 pubmed publisher..This modulation is reflected by significant changes in claudin expression in human primary and metastatic CRC. ..
- Pfeiffer F, Schäfer J, Lyck R, Makrides V, Brunner S, Schaeren Wiemers N, et al. Claudin-1 induced sealing of blood-brain barrier tight junctions ameliorates chronic experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Acta Neuropathol. 2011;122:601-14 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that stabilizing BBB barrier function by therapeutic targeting of TJs may be beneficial in treating MS, especially when anti-inflammatory treatments have failed...
- Guillemot L, Schneider Y, Brun P, Castagliuolo I, Pizzuti D, Martines D, et al. Cingulin is dispensable for epithelial barrier function and tight junction structure, and plays a role in the control of claudin-2 expression and response to duodenal mucosa injury. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5005-14 pubmed publisher
- Li Q, Zhang Q, Wang C, Liu X, Qu L, Gu L, et al. Altered distribution of tight junction proteins after intestinal ischaemia/reperfusion injury in rats. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:4061-76 pubmed publisher..I/R injury altered distribution of TJ proteins in vivo that was associated with functional TJ deficiencies. ..
- Dietze R, Shihan M, Stammler A, Konrad L, Scheiner Bobis G. Cardiotonic steroid ouabain stimulates expression of blood-testis barrier proteins claudin-1 and -11 and formation of tight junctions in Sertoli cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;405:1-13 pubmed publisher..Since claudin-1 and claudin-11 are also present in other blood-tissue barriers, one can speculate that ouabain and perhaps other CTS influence the dynamics of these barriers as well. ..
- Yu Z, Gong C, Lu B, Yang L, Sheng Y, Ji L, et al. Dendrobium chrysotoxum Lindl. alleviates diabetic retinopathy by preventing retinal inflammation and tight junction protein decrease. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:518317 pubmed publisher..Therefore, DC can alleviate DR by inhibiting retinal inflammation and preventing the decrease of tight junction proteins, such as occludin and claudin-1. ..
- Hoshino M, Hashimoto S, Muramatsu T, Matsuki M, Ogiuchi H, Shimono M. Claudin rather than occludin is essential for differentiation in rat incisor odontoblasts. Oral Dis. 2008;14:606-12 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the TJs of odontoblasts may play an important role in the differentiation of odontoblasts in rat lower incisors during early dentinogenesis. ..
- Shi L, Zheng W. Early lead exposure increases the leakage of the blood-cerebrospinal fluid barrier, in vitro. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2007;26:159-67 pubmed..The immature barrier appears to be more vulnerable to Pb toxicity than the mature, well-developed, brain barrier, the fact possibly contributing to Pb-induced neurotoxicity among young children. ..
- Ohta H, Adachi H, Inaba M. Developmental changes in the expression of tight junction protein claudins in murine metanephroi and embryonic kidneys. J Vet Med Sci. 2006;68:149-55 pubmed
- Lippoldt A, Liebner S, Andbjer B, Kalbacher H, Wolburg H, Haller H, et al. Organization of choroid plexus epithelial and endothelial cell tight junctions and regulation of claudin-1, -2 and -5 expression by protein kinase C. Neuroreport. 2000;11:1427-31 pubmed..The claudin-2 and -5 immunoreactivities were reduced. These findings are consistent with an influence of protein kinase C on the composition of the tight junctions in the choroid plexus. ..
- Maly I, Landmann L. Bile duct ligation in the rat causes upregulation of ZO-2 and decreased colocalization of claudins with ZO-1 and occludin. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:289-99 pubmed publisher..The highly increased expression and changed distribution of ZO-2 suggests that ZO-1 is partly substituted by ZO-2, an alteration possibly causing impaired barrier function. ..
- Campbell S, Carare Nnadi R, Losey P, Anthony D. Loss of the atypical inflammatory response in juvenile and aged rats. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2007;33:108-20 pubmed..These studies identify two periods within the lifespan of a rat where susceptibility to pro-inflammatory mediators is dramatically increased. ..
- Gregory M, Dufresne J, Hermo L, Cyr D. Claudin-1 is not restricted to tight junctions in the rat epididymis. Endocrinology. 2001;142:854-63 pubmed..The data also suggest that the regulation of Cl-1 in the epididymis is complex and multifactorial. ..
- Wang J, Chen J, Tang Z, Li Y, Hu L, Pan J. The Effects of Copper on Brain Microvascular Endothelial Cells and Claudin Via Apoptosis and Oxidative Stress. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2016;174:132-141 pubmed..Together, our results indicated that copper had dual effects on BMEC growth and intrinsic antioxidant activities played a crucial role in BMEC survival and tight junction. ..
- Bulldan A, Dietze R, Shihan M, Scheiner Bobis G. Non-classical testosterone signaling mediated through ZIP9 stimulates claudin expression and tight junction formation in Sertoli cells. Cell Signal. 2016;28:1075-85 pubmed publisher..Further assessment of these interactions will help to supplement our knowledge concerning the mechanism by which testosterone plays a role in male fertility. ..
- Baker O, Camden J, Redman R, Jones J, Seye C, Erb L, et al. Proinflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interferon-gamma alter tight junction structure and function in the rat parotid gland Par-C10 cell line. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;295:C1191-201 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cytokine production is an important contributor to secretory dysfunction in SS by disrupting TJ integrity of salivary epithelium. ..
- Zhao L, Yaoita E, Nameta M, Zhang Y, Cuellar L, Fujinaka H, et al. Claudin-6 localized in tight junctions of rat podocytes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R1856-62 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that claudin-6 is a transmembrane protein of tight junctions in podocytes during development and under pathological conditions. ..
- Hackel D, Krug S, Sauer R, Mousa S, Böcker A, Pflücke D, et al. Transient opening of the perineurial barrier for analgesic drug delivery. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E2018-27 pubmed publisher..Our data establish the function and regulation of claudin-1 in the perineurium as the major sealing component, which could be modulated to facilitate drug delivery or, potentially, reseal the barrier under pathological conditions. ..
- Poliak S, Matlis S, Ullmer C, Scherer S, Peles E. Distinct claudins and associated PDZ proteins form different autotypic tight junctions in myelinating Schwann cells. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:361-72 pubmed..The presence of these different tight junction proteins in regions of noncompact myelin may be required to maintain the intricate cytoarchitecture of myelinating Schwann cells. ..
- Milatz S, Piontek J, Schulzke J, Blasig I, Fromm M, GÃ¼nzel D. Probing the cis-arrangement of prototype tight junction proteins claudin-1 and claudin-3. Biochem J. 2015;468:449-58 pubmed publisher..The data provide novel insight into the molecular TJ architecture consistent with a model with an antiparallel double-row cis-arrangement of classic claudin protomers within strands. ..