Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Chrna9
Description: cholinergic receptor nicotinic alpha 9 subunit
Alias: neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-9, NACHR alpha-9, acetylcholine receptor alpha 9 subunit (nAChR), cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha 9 (neuronal), cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 9, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-9
- Baker E, Zwart R, Sher E, Millar N. Pharmacological properties of alpha 9 alpha 10 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors revealed by heterologous expression of subunit chimeras. Mol Pharmacol. 2004;65:453-60 pubmed..Results have also been compared with radioligand binding data conducted with a previously described alpha7/5HT3A (alpha7chi) subunit chimera. ..
- Albuquerque E, Pereira E, Alkondon M, Rogers S. Mammalian nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: from structure to function. Physiol Rev. 2009;89:73-120 pubmed publisher..Despite these numerous developments, our understanding of the contributions of specific neuronal nAChR subtypes to the many facets of physiology throughout the body remains in its infancy. ..
- Boffi J, Marcovich I, Gill Thind J, Corradi J, Collins T, Lipovsek M, et al. Differential Contribution of Subunit Interfaces to Î±9Î±10 Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Function. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;91:250-262 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this asymmetry, which is supported by molecular docking studies, results from adaptive amino acid changes acquired only during the evolution of mammalian Î±10 subunits. ..
- Mishra N, Rir Sima Ah J, Boyd R, Singh S, Gundavarapu S, Langley R, et al. Nicotine inhibits Fc epsilon RI-induced cysteinyl leukotrienes and cytokine production without affecting mast cell degranulation through alpha 7/alpha 9/alpha 10-nicotinic receptors. J Immunol. 2010;185:588-96 pubmed publisher..This "hybrid" receptor might serve as a target for novel antiallergic/antiasthmatic therapies. ..
- Vetter D, Katz E, Maison S, Taranda J, Turcan S, Ballestero J, et al. The alpha10 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit is required for normal synaptic function and integrity of the olivocochlear system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20594-9 pubmed..Moreover, alpha10 nAChR subunits are required for normal olivocochlear activity because alpha9 homomeric nAChRs do not support maintenance of normal olivocochlear innervation or function in alpha10(-/-) mutant mice. ..
- Biallas S, Wilker S, Lips K, Kummer W, Grando S, Padberg W, et al. Immunohistochemical detection of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits alpha9 and alpha10 in rat lung isografts and allografts. Life Sci. 2007;80:2286-9 pubmed..Therapeutic application of nicotinic agonists might down-modulate pro-inflammatory functions of alveolar macrophages and protect pulmonary transplants. ..
- Vincler M, Wittenauer S, Parker R, Ellison M, Olivera B, McIntosh J. Molecular mechanism for analgesia involving specific antagonism of alpha9alpha10 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17880-4 pubmed..Our findings not only suggest a molecular mechanism for the treatment of neuropathic pain but also demonstrate the involvement of alpha9alpha10 nAChRs in the pathophysiology of peripheral nerve injury. ..
- Katz E, Elgoyhen A, Gómez Casati M, Knipper M, Vetter D, Fuchs P, et al. Developmental regulation of nicotinic synapses on cochlear inner hair cells. J Neurosci. 2004;24:7814-20 pubmed..Furthermore, this developmental knock-out of alpha10, but not alpha9, supports the hypothesis that functional nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in hair cells are heteromers containing both these subunits. ..
- Lips K, Pfeil U, Kummer W. Coexpression of alpha 9 and alpha 10 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. Neuroscience. 2002;115:1-5 pubmed..The data show that dorsal root ganglion neurons coexpress alpha9 and alpha10 nicotinic receptor subunits, thereby providing the first example of neuronal expression of this receptor subunit pair. ..
- Elgoyhen A, Vetter D, Katz E, Rothlin C, Heinemann S, Boulter J. alpha10: a determinant of nicotinic cholinergic receptor function in mammalian vestibular and cochlear mechanosensory hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:3501-6 pubmed..Our data suggest that efferent modulation of hair cell function occurs, at least in part, through heteromeric nAChRs assembled from both alpha9 and alpha10 subunits. ..
- Azam L, McIntosh J. Molecular basis for the differential sensitivity of rat and human ?9?10 nAChRs to ?-conotoxin RgIA. J Neurochem. 2012;122:1137-44 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, although the ?9 nAChR subunit has previously been reported to provide the principal (+) binding face for binding of RgIA, Thr56 is located in the (-) complementary binding face. ..