Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Chrna7
Description: cholinergic receptor nicotinic alpha 7 subunit
Alias: BTX, NARAD, nAChRa7, neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-7, C holinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 7 (neuronal nicotinic acetycholine receptor alpha 7) (bungarotoxin alpha), bungarotoxin alpha, cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha 7 (neuronal), cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 7, neuronal nicotinic acetycholine receptor alpha 7, nicotinic receptor alpha 7 subunit
- Vida G, Peña G, Deitch E, Ulloa L. ?7-cholinergic receptor mediates vagal induction of splenic norepinephrine. J Immunol. 2011;186:4340-6 pubmed publisher..7nAChR represents a unique molecular link between the parasympathetic and sympathetic system to control inflammation. ..
- Fucile S, Sucapane A, Eusebi F. Ca2+ permeability of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors from rat dorsal root ganglion neurones. J Physiol. 2005;565:219-28 pubmed..Finally, we report that Ca2+ influx through nAChRs in adult DRG neurones negatively modulated the TRPV1-mediated responses, representing a possible mechanism underlying the analgesic properties of nicotinic agonists on sensory neurones. ..
- Klink R, de Kerchove d Exaerde A, Zoli M, Changeux J. Molecular and physiological diversity of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the midbrain dopaminergic nuclei. J Neurosci. 2001;21:1452-63 pubmed..Neurons in the DA nuclei thus exhibit a diversity of nAChRs that might differentially modulate reinforcement and motor behavior. ..
- Jones I, Wonnacott S. Precise localization of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors on glutamatergic axon terminals in the rat ventral tegmental area. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11244-52 pubmed..alpha7 nAChRs were not associated with cholinergic synapses, consistent with their activation by a paracrine mode of acetylcholine or choline delivery. ..
- Levy R, Aoki C. Alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors occur at postsynaptic densities of AMPA receptor-positive and -negative excitatory synapses in rat sensory cortex. J Neurosci. 2002;22:5001-15 pubmed..These observations support the idea that acetylcholine receptors can aid in activating glutamatergic synapses and work together with AMPA receptors to mediate postsynaptic excitation throughout life. ..
- Marrero M, Bencherif M. Convergence of alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-activated pathways for anti-apoptosis and anti-inflammation: central role for JAK2 activation of STAT3 and NF-kappaB. Brain Res. 2009;1256:1-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, the neuroprotective nicotine-induced production of Bcl-2 appears to fully counteract the Abeta (1-42)-induced apoptosis of PC12 cells by blocking Abeta (1-42)-induced mitochondrial release of cytosolic cytochrome C. ..
- Egea J, Rosa A, Sobrado M, Gandia L, Lopez M, Garcia A. Neuroprotection afforded by nicotine against oxygen and glucose deprivation in hippocampal slices is lost in alpha7 nicotinic receptor knockout mice. Neuroscience. 2007;145:866-72 pubmed..In contrast, nicotine failed to exert neuroprotection in alpha7 knockout mice. This finding reinforces the view that the hippocampal neuroprotective effects of nicotine are predominantly linked to alpha7 receptors. ..
- Söderman A, Mikkelsen J, West M, Christensen D, Jensen M. Activation of nicotinic ?(7) acetylcholine receptor enhances long term potentation in wild type mice but not in APP(swe)/PS1?E9 mice. Neurosci Lett. 2011;487:325-9 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the ?(7) nAChR is functionally blocked in the hippocampal neurons, downstream of the ?(7) nAChR, and that this is likely due to an interaction between the receptor and A?, which leads to changes in LTP. ..
- Lee D, Wang H. Differential physiologic responses of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors to beta-amyloid1-40 and beta-amyloid1-42. J Neurobiol. 2003;55:25-30 pubmed..Our data suggest a clear pharmacological distinction between Abeta(1-40) and Abeta(1-42). ..
- Zappettini S, Grilli M, Salamone A, Fedele E, Marchi M. Pre-synaptic nicotinic receptors evoke endogenous glutamate and aspartate release from hippocampal synaptosomes by way of distinct coupling mechanisms. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;161:1161-71 pubmed publisher..The present work aimed to investigate whether and through which mechanisms selective ?7 and ?4?2 nicotinic receptor (nAChR) agonists stimulate endogenous glutamate (GLU) and aspartate (ASP) release in rat hippocampus...
- Khiroug S, Harkness P, Lamb P, Sudweeks S, Khiroug L, Millar N, et al. Rat nicotinic ACh receptor alpha7 and beta2 subunits co-assemble to form functional heteromeric nicotinic receptor channels. J Physiol. 2002;540:425-34 pubmed..This co-assembly may help to explain nAChR channel diversity in rat hippocampal interneurons, and perhaps in other areas of the nervous system. ..
- Li S, Li Z, Pei L, Le A, Liu F. The ?7nACh-NMDA receptor complex is involved in cue-induced reinstatement of nicotine seeking. J Exp Med. 2012;209:2141-7 pubmed publisher..Our results may provide a novel therapeutic target for the development of medications for preventing nicotine relapse. ..
- Albuquerque E, Pereira E, Alkondon M, Rogers S. Mammalian nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: from structure to function. Physiol Rev. 2009;89:73-120 pubmed publisher..Despite these numerous developments, our understanding of the contributions of specific neuronal nAChR subtypes to the many facets of physiology throughout the body remains in its infancy. ..
- Seguela P, Wadiche J, Dineley Miller K, Dani J, Patrick J. Molecular cloning, functional properties, and distribution of rat brain alpha 7: a nicotinic cation channel highly permeable to calcium. J Neurosci. 1993;13:596-604 pubmed..These results imply that alpha 7-containing receptors may play a role in activating calcium-dependent mechanisms in specific neuronal populations of the adult rat limbic system. ..
- de Fiebre N, de Fiebre C. alpha7 Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor knockout selectively enhances ethanol-, but not beta-amyloid-induced neurotoxicity. Neurosci Lett. 2005;373:42-7 pubmed..It is hypothesized that inhibition of alpha7 nAChRs by ethanol provides partial protection against the neurotoxic properties of subchronic ethanol. ..
- McCormack T, Melis C, Colon J, Gay E, Mike A, Karoly R, et al. Rapid desensitization of the rat ?7 nAChR is facilitated by the presence of a proline residue in the outer ?-sheet. J Physiol. 2010;588:4415-29 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that rapid desensitization of the wild-type rat ?7 nAChR is facilitated by the presence of the proline residue within the ?9 strand. ..
- Bray C, Son J, Kumar P, Meizel S. Mice deficient in CHRNA7, a subunit of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, produce sperm with impaired motility. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:807-14 pubmedIn this study we investigate the role of the CHRNA7 subunit (also known as the alpha7 subunit) of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in mouse sperm function...
- Orr Urtreger A, Broide R, Kasten M, Dang H, Dani J, Beaudet A, et al. Mice homozygous for the L250T mutation in the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor show increased neuronal apoptosis and die within 1 day of birth. J Neurochem. 2000;74:2154-66 pubmed..These findings indicate that neurons in the developing brain expressing only alpha7 L250T mutant nAChRs are susceptible to abnormal apoptosis, possibly due to increased Ca2+ influx. ..
- Freedman R, Coon H, Myles Worsley M, Orr Urtreger A, Olincy A, Davis A, et al. Linkage of a neurophysiological deficit in schizophrenia to a chromosome 15 locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:587-92 pubmed..The linkage data thus provide unique new evidence that the alpha 7-nicotinic receptor gene may be responsible for the inheritance of a pathophysiological aspect of the illness. ..
- Gong S, Liang Q, Zhu Q, Ding D, Yin Q, Tao J, et al. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor Î±7 subunit is involved in the cobratoxin-induced antinociception in an animal model of neuropathic pain. Toxicon. 2015;93:31-6 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results suggested that AChR Î±7 subunit was involved in the antinociceptive action of CbTX for neuropathic pain and might be the candidate target for analgesic drug design. ..
- Haberberger R, Henrich M, Lips K, Kummer W. Nicotinic receptor alpha 7-subunits are coupled to the stimulation of nitric oxide synthase in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons. Histochem Cell Biol. 2003;120:173-81 pubmed
- Snyder E, Nong Y, Almeida C, Paul S, Moran T, Choi E, et al. Regulation of NMDA receptor trafficking by amyloid-beta. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1051-8 pubmed..Dephosphorylation of the NMDA receptor subunit NR2B at Tyr1472 correlated with receptor endocytosis. These data indicate a new mechanism by which amyloid-beta can cause synaptic dysfunction and contribute to Alzheimer disease pathology. ..
- Sun Y, Wang H, He Q, Cho C. Effect of passive cigarette smoking on colonic alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in TNBS-induced colitis in rats. Digestion. 2007;76:181-7 pubmed publisher..05 and 0.64 +/- 0.08) (p < 0.05). The up-regulated expression of alpha7nAChR after exposure to cigarette smoking indicates that alpha7nAChR in colonic tissue may be involved in cigarette smoking damage in TNBS-induced colitis in rats. ..
- Lips K, Konig P, Schätzle K, Pfeil U, Krasteva G, Spies M, et al. Coexpression and spatial association of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits alpha7 and alpha10 in rat sympathetic neurons. J Mol Neurosci. 2006;30:15-6 pubmed..1995; Jares-Erijman and Jovin, 2003). ..
- Tyagi E, Agrawal R, Nath C, Shukla R. Inhibitory role of cholinergic system mediated via alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in LPS-induced neuro-inflammation. Innate Immun. 2010;16:3-13 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the inhibitory role of the central cholinergic system on neuro-inflammation is mediated via alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and muscarinic receptors are not involved. ..
- Dehkordi O, Millis R, Dennis G, Coleman B, Johnson S, Changizi L, et al. Alpha-7 and alpha-4 nicotinic receptor subunit immunoreactivity in genioglossus muscle motoneurons. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2005;145:153-61 pubmed..90% in rostral areas (P=0.074). These results demonstrate that nAChR immunoreactivity is present in genioglossal motoneurons and suggest a role for alpha-7 and alpha-4 subunits containing nAChRs in the regulation of upper airway patency. ..
- Matsubayashi H, Inoue A, Amano T, Seki T, Nakata Y, Sasa M, et al. Involvement of alpha7- and alpha4beta2-type postsynaptic nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in nicotine-induced excitation of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra: a patch clamp and single-cell PCR study using acutely dissociated nigral neuron. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;129:1-7 pubmed..These results suggest that nicotine directly acts on postsynaptic alpha7- and alpha4beta2-type nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and induces inward current, which result in the excitation of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra. ..
- Jiang Y, Dai A, Zhou Y, Peng G, Hu G, Li B, et al. Nicotine elevated intracellular Ca²? in rat airway smooth muscle cells via activating and up-regulating ?7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2014;33:389-401 pubmed publisher..that nicotine elevates [Ca(2+)]i in ASMCs through ?7-nAChR-mediated signals pathways, and highlight the possibility that ?7-nAChR can be considered as a potential target for the treatment of airway remodeling...
- Wang X, Lippi G, Carlson D, Berg D. Activation of ?7-containing nicotinic receptors on astrocytes triggers AMPA receptor recruitment to glutamatergic synapses. J Neurochem. 2013;127:632-43 pubmed publisher..The results are unexpected and open up new possibilities for mechanisms underlying network formation and synaptic plasticity. ..
- Gubbins E, Gopalakrishnan M, Li J. Alpha7 nAChR-mediated activation of MAP kinase pathways in PC12 cells. Brain Res. 2010;1328:1-11 pubmed publisher..Such mechanisms may endow the alpha7 nAChRs with roles in modulating Ca(2+)-dependent intracellular second messenger events implicated in diverse aspects of cognition. ..
- Araud T, Graw S, Berger R, Lee M, Neveu E, Bertrand D, et al. The chimeric gene CHRFAM7A, a partial duplication of the CHRNA7 gene, is a dominant negative regulator of ?7*nAChR function. Biochem Pharmacol. 2011;82:904-14 pubmed publisherThe human ?7 neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor gene (CHRNA7) is a candidate gene for schizophrenia and an important drug target for cognitive deficits in the disorder...
- Franceschini D, Orr Urtreger A, Yu W, Mackey L, Bond R, Armstrong D, et al. Altered baroreflex responses in alpha7 deficient mice. Behav Brain Res. 2000;113:3-10 pubmed..The alpha7 mutant mice may serve as a model of baroreflex impairment arising from autonomic dysfunction. ..
- Toulme E, Soto F, Garret M, Boué Grabot E. Functional properties of internalization-deficient P2X4 receptors reveal a novel mechanism of ligand-gated channel facilitation by ivermectin. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;69:576-87 pubmed
- Aznar S, Kostova V, Christiansen S, Knudsen G. Alpha 7 nicotinic receptor subunit is present on serotonin neurons projecting to hippocampus and septum. Synapse. 2005;55:196-200 pubmed..A low degree of colocalization between alpha-bungarotoxin and serotonin-positive neurons suggest that the alpha 7 subunit may be transported anterogradely to the serotonergic axonal terminals. ..
- Wehner J, Keller J, Keller A, Picciotto M, Paylor R, Booker T, et al. Role of neuronal nicotinic receptors in the effects of nicotine and ethanol on contextual fear conditioning. Neuroscience. 2004;129:11-24 pubmed..A new role for alpha7 nAChRs in regulating sensitivity to the cognitive disrupting effects of ethanol is proposed. ..
- Gomez Varela D, Schmidt M, Schoellerman J, Peters E, Berg D. PMCA2 via PSD-95 controls calcium signaling by ?7-containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors on aspiny interneurons. J Neurosci. 2012;32:6894-905 pubmed publisher..The PSD-95 link is required for PMCA2-mediated removal of ?7-nAChR clusters. This three-component combination of PMCA2, PSD-95, and ?7-nAChR offers a novel mechanism for tight control of calcium dynamics in neurons. ..
- Peng X, Katz M, Gerzanich V, Anand R, Lindstrom J. Human alpha 7 acetylcholine receptor: cloning of the alpha 7 subunit from the SH-SY5Y cell line and determination of pharmacological properties of native receptors and functional alpha 7 homomers expressed in Xenopus oocytes. Mol Pharmacol. 1994;45:546-54 pubmed
- HernÃ¡ndez VÃ¡zquez F, ChavarrÃa K, GarduÃ±o J, HernÃ¡ndez LÃ³pez S, Mihailescu S. Nicotine increases GABAergic input on rat dorsal raphe serotonergic neurons through alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. J Neurophysiol. 2014;112:3154-63 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that nicotine increases the GABAergic input to most 5-HT DRN neurons, by activating Î±7 nAChRs and producing CICR in DRN GABAergic terminals. ..
- Mok M, Kew J. Excitation of rat hippocampal interneurons via modulation of endogenous agonist activity at the alpha7 nicotinic ACh receptor. J Physiol. 2006;574:699-710 pubmed
- Drisdel R, Green W. Neuronal alpha-bungarotoxin receptors are alpha7 subunit homomers. J Neurosci. 2000;20:133-9 pubmed..Similar characteristics of BgtRs from rat brain suggest that they, like PC12 BgtRs, are alpha7 pentamers containing differentially processed alpha7 subunits. ..
- Mori T, Zhao X, Zuo Y, Aistrup G, Nishikawa K, Marszalec W, et al. Modulation of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by halothane in rat cortical neurons. Mol Pharmacol. 2001;59:732-43 pubmed..Halothane block of nnAChRs is deemed to play an important role in anesthesia via a direct action on the receptor and an indirect action to suppress transmitter release. ..
- Wang H, Song L, Lee A, Laird F, Wong P, Lee H. Mossy fiber long-term potentiation deficits in BACE1 knock-outs can be rescued by activation of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13808-13 pubmed publisher..Here we report that brief application of nicotine, via ?7-nAChRs, can restore MF long-term potentiation in BACE1 knock-outs. Our data suggest that activating ?7-nAChRs can recover the presynaptic deficits in BACE1 knock-outs. ..
- Lozada A, Wang X, Gounko N, Massey K, Duan J, Liu Z, et al. Glutamatergic synapse formation is promoted by ?7-containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7651-61 pubmed publisher..This ratio represents a fundamental feature of neural networks and shows for the first time that endogenous nicotinic cholinergic signaling plays a key role in network construction. ..
- B rli T, Baer K, Ewers H, Sidler C, Fuhrer C, Fritschy J. Single particle tracking of alpha7 nicotinic AChR in hippocampal neurons reveals regulated confinement at glutamatergic and GABAergic perisynaptic sites. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11507 pubmed publisher..Altogether, given their high Ca(2+)-permeability, our results suggest a possible role of alpha7-nAChR on interneurons for activating Ca(2+)-dependent signaling in the vicinity of GABAergic and glutamatergic synapses...
- Seipel A, Yakel J. The frequency-dependence of the nicotine-induced inhibition of dopamine is controlled by the Î±7 nicotinic receptor. J Neurochem. 2010;114:1659-66 pubmed publisher..The frequency dependence of the low dose nicotine inhibition therefore requires functional Î±7 nAChRs, and may arise from differing levels of endogenous acetylcholine evoked by the stimulation. ..
- Nordman J, Kabbani N. An interaction between ?7 nicotinic receptors and a G-protein pathway complex regulates neurite growth in neural cells. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5502-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings reveal a novel intracellular pathway of signaling for ?7 within neurons, and suggest a role for its interactions with the GPC in brain development. ..
- Nordman J, Phillips W, Kodama N, Clark S, Del Negro C, Kabbani N. Axon targeting of the alpha 7 nicotinic receptor in developing hippocampal neurons by Gprin1 regulates growth. J Neurochem. 2014;129:649-62 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that ?7 regulates axon growth in hippocampal neurons, thereby likely contributing to synaptic formation in the developing brain. ..
- Yeboah M, Xue X, Javdan M, Susin M, Metz C. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor expression and regulation in the rat kidney after ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F654-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the alpha7nAChR plays an important role in the pathophysiology of renal I/R injury. ..
- Shaw S, Bencherif M, Marrero M. Janus kinase 2, an early target of alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated neuroprotection against Abeta-(1-42) amyloid. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:44920-4 pubmed..These findings identify novel mechanisms of receptor interactions relevant to neuronal viability and suggest novel therapeutic strategies to optimize neuroprotection. ..