Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Chrna5
Description: cholinergic receptor nicotinic alpha 5 subunit
Alias: neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha-5, acetylcholine receptor alpha 5, cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha 5 (neuronal), cholinergic receptor, nicotinic, alpha polypeptide 5
- Vincler M, Eisenach J. Plasticity of spinal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors following spinal nerve ligation. Neurosci Res. 2004;48:139-45 pubmed..We propose that the increased expression of the alpha3 and alpha5 nicotinic subunits may contribute to the mechanical hypersensitivity observed following spinal nerve ligation. ..
- Di Angelantonio S, Matteoni C, Fabbretti E, Nistri A. Molecular biology and electrophysiology of neuronal nicotinic receptors of rat chromaffin cells. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;17:2313-22 pubmed
- Oshikawa J, Toya Y, Fujita T, Egawa M, Kawabe J, Umemura S, et al. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 7 regulates cAMP signal within lipid rafts. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;285:C567-74 pubmed..In addition, nAChR alpha 7 may regulate the AC activity via Ca2+ within lipid rafts. ..
- Chini B, Clementi F, Hukovic N, Sher E. Neuronal-type alpha-bungarotoxin receptors and the alpha 5-nicotinic receptor subunit gene are expressed in neuronal and nonneuronal human cell lines. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:1572-6 pubmed..We conclude that both alpha Bgtx receptors and the alpha 5-nicotinic subunit gene are not neuron-specific, as previously thought, but are expressed in a number of human cell lines of various origin. ..
- Spies M, Lips K, Kurzen H, Kummer W, Haberberger R. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors containing subunits alpha3 and alpha5 in rat nociceptive dorsal root ganglion neurons. J Mol Neurosci. 2006;30:55-6 pubmed..2004; Papadopolou et al., 2004). To this end, calcium-imaging and double-labeling immunofluorescence with nAChR alpha-subunit-specific antibodies, in combination with markers for nociceptive neurons (TRPV1, I-B4), were applied. ..
- Yu W, Guan Z, Nordberg A. Postnatal upregulation of alpha4 and alpha3 nicotinic receptor subunits in the brain of alpha7 nicotinic receptor-deficient mice. Neuroscience. 2007;146:1618-28 pubmed..These data suggest that increased levels of alpha4, alpha3-containing nAChRs, co-assembled with the alpha5 nAChR subunit, may contribute to the normal brain development of alpha7 -/- and alpha7 +/- mice. ..
- Gahring L, Rogers S. Nicotinic receptor subunit alpha5 modifies assembly, up-regulation, and response to pro-inflammatory cytokines. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:26049-57 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that alpha5 is an influential modulator of alpha4+beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor assembly and stabilizes their expression in response to fluctuations in external conditions. ..
- Voitenko L, Voitenko S, Skok M, Purnyn H, Skok V. Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes in rat superior cervical ganglion neurons as studied by sequential application of two alpha-subunit-specific antibodies. Neurosci Lett. 2001;303:37-40 pubmed
- Stitzel J, Blanchette J, Collins A. Sensitivity to the seizure-inducing effects of nicotine is associated with strain-specific variants of the alpha 5 and alpha 7 nicotinic receptor subunit genes. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1998;284:1104-11 pubmed..Levels of alpha-BTX binding did not correlate with nicotine-induced seizure sensitivity or overall nicotine sensitivity score in any of the four brain regions examined. ..