Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cfh
Description: complement factor H
Alias: AMBP-1, AMBP1, complement factor H, adrenomedullin binding protein-1, complement component factor H, complement inhibitory factor H, platelet complement factor H
- Maga T, Nishimura C, Weaver A, Frees K, Smith R. Mutations in alternative pathway complement proteins in American patients with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. Hum Mutat. 2010;31:E1445-60 pubmed publisher..cascade at the level of the cell membrane secondary to mutations in a number of complement genes including complement factor H (CFH), complement factor H-related 5 (CFHR5), complement factor I (CFI), CD46 (MCP), complement factor B (..
- Ferrara D, Merriam J, Freund K, Spaide R, Takahashi B, Zhitomirsky I, et al. Analysis of major alleles associated with age-related macular degeneration in patients with multifocal choroiditis: strong association with complement factor H. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126:1562-6 pubmed publisher..of single nucleotide polymorphisms for the following AMD-associated alleles were evaluated: risk alleles in complement factor H (CFH) gene (Y402H and IVS14) and LOC387715/HTRA1 gene on 10q26 (A69S) and protective alleles in CFH (IVS1, ..
- Serrano J, Encinas J, Fernandez A, Castro Blanco S, Alonso D, Fernandez Vizarra P, et al. Distribution of immunoreactivity for the adrenomedullin binding protein, complement factor H, in the rat brain. Neuroscience. 2003;116:947-62 pubmed..An adrenomedullin binding protein has recently been found in plasma and characterized as complement factor H. This regulator of the complement system inhibits the progression of the complement cascade and modulates ..
- Demberg T, Pollok Kopp B, Gerke D, Gotze O, Schlaf G. Rat complement factor H: molecular cloning, sequencing and quantification with a newly established ELISA. Scand J Immunol. 2002;56:149-60 pubmed..The concentration of FH in rat serum was calculated to be 238 microg +/- 21 microg/ml (mean +/- SD). Its concentration in the culture supernatants of HC was upregulated about three-fold by interferon (IFN)-gamma (100 U/ml). ..
- Ingram G, Hakobyan S, Loveless S, Robertson N, Morgan B. Complement regulator factor H in multiple sclerosis. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:2653-4 pubmed publisher..These findings support our previous work showing raised serum fH in patients with progressive MS, and our results predict that CSF fH levels will be raised rather than reduced in active disease. ..
- Fleury C, Su Y, Hallstr m T, Sandblad L, Zipfel P, Riesbeck K. Identification of a Haemophilus influenzae factor H-Binding lipoprotein involved in serum resistance. J Immunol. 2014;192:5913-23 pubmed publisher..influenzae and FH. This novel interaction is important for H. influenzae resistance against complement activation and will consequently promote bacterial pathogenesis...
- Yang J, Wu R, Qiang X, Zhou M, Dong W, Ji Y, et al. Human adrenomedullin and its binding protein attenuate organ injury and reduce mortality after hepatic ischemia-reperfusion. Ann Surg. 2009;249:310-7 pubmed publisher..Human AM/AMBP-1 may be a novel treatment to attenuate tissue injury after an episode of hepatic ischemia. ..
- Toni M, Hermida J, Toledo E, Goni M, Díez Goñi N. [Role of CFH and ARMS2 polymorphisms in retinopathy and coronary artery disease in type 1 diabetes]. An Sist Sanit Navar. 2012;35:425-32 pubmed..The aim of this study was to evaluate the role of polymorphisms rs1410996 CFH and rs10490924 ARMS2 with proliferative diabetic retinopathy and coronary disease in type 1 diabetes patients...
- Zaferani A, Vivès R, van der Pol P, Navis G, Daha M, van Kooten C, et al. Factor h and properdin recognize different epitopes on renal tubular epithelial heparan sulfate. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:31471-81 pubmed publisher..These interactions can be manipulated with some low anticoagulant heparinoids, which can be important for preventing complement-derived tubular injury in proteinuric renal diseases. ..
- Riihilä P, Nissinen L, Ala aho R, Kallajoki M, Grenman R, Meri S, et al. Complement factor H: a biomarker for progression of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:498-506 pubmed publisher..keratinocytes (n=5) with Affymetrix and quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR) revealed upregulation of complement factor H (CFH) and factor H-like protein-1 (FHL-1) in cSCC cell lines...
- TEZEL G, Yang X, Luo C, Kain A, Powell D, Kuehn M, et al. Oxidative stress and the regulation of complement activation in human glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:5071-82 pubmed publisher..In addition, to determine the regulation of complement factor H (CFH) by oxidative stress, in vitro experiments were performed using rat retinal cell cultures incubated in ..
- Ohali M, Shalev H, Schlesinger M, Katz Y, Kachko L, Carmi R, et al. Hypocomplementemic autosomal recessive hemolytic uremic syndrome with decreased factor H. Pediatr Nephrol. 1998;12:619-24 pubmed..This defect may cause complement activation and consumption, possibly at the endothelial cell level. ..
- Wu R, Higuchi S, Dong W, Ji Y, Zhou M, Marini C, et al. Reversing established sepsis in rats with human vasoactive hormone adrenomedullin and its binding protein. Mol Med. 2009;15:28-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, human AM/AMBP-1 can be further developed as a safe and effective therapy for patients with established sepsis. ..
- Yang J, Wu R, Zhou M, Wang P. Human adrenomedullin and its binding protein ameliorate sepsis-induced organ injury and mortality in jaundiced rats. Peptides. 2010;31:872-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, human AM/AMBP-1 ameliorates sepsis-induced organ injury and mortality in jaundiced rats. Human AM/AMBP-1 can be further developed as a novel treatment for sepsis in jaundiced patients. ..
- Leveziel N, Yu Y, Reynolds R, Tai A, Meng W, Caillaux V, et al. Genetic factors for choroidal neovascularization associated with high myopia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:5004-9 pubmed publisher..1, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.3-3.37, P = 0.0023), COL8A1 (OR 1.88, 95% CI 1.18-2.98, P = 0.0076), and CFH (OR 1.65, 95% CI 1.02-2.66, P = 0.04)...
- Chantaren P, Ruamviboonsuk P, Ponglikitmongkol M, Tiensuwan M, Promso S. Major single nucleotide polymorphisms in polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: a comparative analysis between Thai and other Asian populations. Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6:465-71 pubmed publisher..between the major age-related macular degeneration (AMD) susceptibility loci, Y402H and I62V in the complement factor H (CFH) and A69S in the age-related maculopathy susceptibility 2 (ARMS2) genes, and polypoidal choroidal ..
- Le Quintrec M, Lionet A, Kamar N, Karras A, Barbier S, Buchler M, et al. Complement mutation-associated de novo thrombotic microangiopathy following kidney transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2008;8:1694-701 pubmed publisher..plasma complement level and performed a screening for mutations in genes encoding complement Factors H and I (CFH, CFI) and membrane cofactor protein (MCP) in 24 kidney transplant recipients experiencing de novo thrombotic ..
- Kim S, Kim J, Lee J, Cho S, Kang H, Kim K, et al. Intravitreal human complement factor H in a rat model of laser-induced choroidal neovascularisation. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013;97:367-70 pubmed publisherTo investigate the inhibitory effect of intravitreally administered human complement factor H (CFH) in a rat model of laser-induced choroidal neovascularisation (CNV)...
- Souied E, Leveziel N, Richard F, Dragon Durey M, Coscas G, Soubrane G, et al. Y402H complement factor H polymorphism associated with exudative age-related macular degeneration in the French population. Mol Vis. 2005;11:1135-40 pubmed..A positive association between Y402H polymorphism of the complement factor H (CFH) gene and AMD has been recently reported in North American populations but not yet in European ..
- Qiang X, Wu R, Ji Y, Zhou M, Wang P. Purification and characterization of human adrenomedullin binding protein-1. Mol Med. 2008;14:443-50 pubmed publisher..This technique will enable us to further develop human AM/AMBP-1 as a novel treatment for safe and effective therapy of patients with hemorrhagic shock, sepsis, and ischemic injury. ..
- Goicoechea de Jorge E, Caesar J, Malik T, Patel M, Colledge M, Johnson S, et al. Dimerization of complement factor H-related proteins modulates complement activation in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:4685-90 pubmed publisher..Variation includes genomic rearrangements within the complement factor H-related (CFHR) locus...
- Appelboom G, Piazza M, Hwang B, Bruce S, Smith S, Bratt A, et al. Complement Factor H Y402H polymorphism is associated with an increased risk of mortality after intracerebral hemorrhage. J Clin Neurosci. 2011;18:1439-43 pubmed publisher..SNP) on mortality in complement component 3 C3 (rs2230199), complement component 5 C5 (rs17611), and Complement Factor H (CFH; rs1061170) genes, which are associated with the onset and progression of several neurological ..
- Seddon J, Reynolds R, Rosner B. Peripheral retinal drusen and reticular pigment: association with CFHY402H and CFHrs1410996 genotypes in family and twin studies. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:586-91 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the relationship between peripheral retinal drusen and reticular pigment changes and genotypes associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Thompson I, Liu B, Sen H, Jiao X, Katamay R, Li Z, et al. Association of complement factor H tyrosine 402 histidine genotype with posterior involvement in sarcoid-related uveitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;155:1068-1074.e1 pubmed publisherTo determine whether the complement factor H (CFH) tyrosine 402 histidine (Y402H) variant, recently shown to be associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and multifocal choroiditis, is associated with specific ocular ..
- Shi W, Zhao X, Liu Z, Zhang M, Zhou B, Pu X. Serum proteomics of methamphetamine addicts and up-regulation of complement factor H related to methamphetamine addiction. Neurosci Lett. 2012;525:23-8 pubmed publisher..We identified five proteins that were markedly altered and complement factor H (CFH), the most stably up-expressed protein in each 2-DE experiment, was further studied using the rat ..
- Chaung W, Wu R, Ji Y, Wang Z, Dong W, Cheyuo C, et al. Peripheral administration of human adrenomedullin and its binding protein attenuates stroke-induced apoptosis and brain injury in rats. Mol Med. 2011;17:1075-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, human AM/AMBP-1 has the ability to reduce stroke-induced brain injury in rats. AM/AMBP-1 can be developed as a novel therapeutic agent for patients with ischemic stroke. ..
- Collier R, Wang Y, Smith S, Martin E, Ornberg R, Rhoades K, et al. Complement deposition and microglial activation in the outer retina in light-induced retinopathy: inhibition by a 5-HT1A agonist. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8108-16 pubmed publisher..This model may be useful in the evaluation of complement inhibitors and other neuroprotectants intended for ocular use. AL-8309 is under evaluation in the clinic and may be useful in the treatment of AMD. ..
- Wu R, Dong W, Qiang X, Ji Y, Cui T, Yang J, et al. Human vasoactive hormone adrenomedullin and its binding protein rescue experimental animals from shock. Peptides. 2008;29:1223-30 pubmed publisher..8 min and 1.68 h, respectively. Thus, administration of human AM/AMBP-1 may be a useful approach for attenuating organ injury, and reducing mortality after hemorrhagic shock. ..
- Banda N, Levitt B, Glogowska M, Thurman J, Takahashi K, Stahl G, et al. Targeted inhibition of the complement alternative pathway with complement receptor 2 and factor H attenuates collagen antibody-induced arthritis in mice. J Immunol. 2009;183:5928-37 pubmed publisher..The relative potency of CR2-fH in vitro was superior to mAbs to factor B and C5. Thus, CR2-fH specifically targets and inhibits the AP of complement in vitro and is effective in CAIA in vivo. ..
- Wang J, Yang M, Li Y, Liu G, Teng Y, Liu X. Association of CFH and CFB gene polymorphisms with retinopathy in type 2 diabetic patients. Mediators Inflamm. 2013;2013:748435 pubmed publisher..This study aimed at investigating whether polymorphisms of two genes in the complement pathway, complement factor H (CFH) and complement factor B (CFB), are associated with DR...
- Khan S, Nan R, Gor J, Mulloy B, Perkins S. Bivalent and co-operative binding of complement factor H to heparan sulfate and heparin. Biochem J. 2012;444:417-28 pubmed publisher..This bivalent and co-operative model of FH binding to heparan sulfate provides novel insights on the immune function of FH at host cell surfaces. ..
- Abbas R, Azzazy H. Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in CFH, ARMS2 and HTRA1 genes with risk of age-related macular degeneration in Egyptian patients. Ophthalmic Genet. 2013;34:209-16 pubmed publisher..We aimed to examine the association between AMD and SNPs on CFH, ARMS2 and HTRA1 in Egyptians, a previously unstudied population...
- Agbeko R, Fidler K, Allen M, Wilson P, Klein N, Peters M. Genetic variability in complement activation modulates the systemic inflammatory response syndrome in children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010;11:561-7 pubmed publisher..We identified complement factor H as an important independent genetic modifier of SIRS/sepsis...
- He F, Liu B, Meng Q, Sun Y, Wang W, Wang C. Modulation of miR-146a/complement factor H-mediated inflammatory responses in a rat model of temporal lobe epilepsy. Biosci Rep. 2016;36: pubmed publisher..The predicted miR-146a's target complement factor H (CFH) mRNA and protein expression was also down-regulated in TLE rat model...
- Shaughnessy J, Vu D, Punjabi R, Serra Pladevall J, Deoliveira R, Granoff D, et al. Fusion protein comprising factor H domains 6 and 7 and human IgG1 Fc as an antibacterial immunotherapeutic. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2014;21:1452-9 pubmed publisher..Because many microbes share a common binding region(s) in FH, FH/Fc chimeric proteins may be a promising candidate for adjunctive therapy against drug-resistant pathogens. ..
- Ruseva M, Hughes T, Donev R, Sivasankar B, Pickering M, Wu X, et al. Crry deficiency in complement sufficient mice: C3 consumption occurs without associated renal injury. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:803-11 pubmed publisher..Complement activity and C3 levels in Crry(-/-) mice were markedly reduced. Comparison with factor H deficient (CfH(-/-)) mice revealed similar levels of residual C3; however, unlike the CfH(-/-) mice, Crry(-/-) mice showed no ..
- van de Ven J, Boon C, Fauser S, Hoefsloot L, Smailhodzic D, Schoenmaker Koller F, et al. Clinical evaluation of 3 families with basal laminar drusen caused by novel mutations in the complement factor H gene. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130:1038-47 pubmedTo identify novel complement factor H (CFH) gene mutations and to specify the clinical characteristics in patients with basal laminar drusen (BLD), a clinical subtype of age-related macular degeneration.
- Shah K, Rajan D, Jacob A, Wu R, Krishnasastry K, Nicastro J, et al. Attenuation of renal ischemia and reperfusion injury by human adrenomedullin and its binding protein. J Surg Res. 2010;163:110-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, human AM combined with human AMBP-1 may be developed as a novel treatment for patients with acute renal I/R injury. ..
- Yang M, Lai T, Tam P, Chiang S, Ng T, Liu K, et al. Association of C2 and CFB polymorphisms with anterior uveitis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:4969-74 pubmed publisherAssociation of rs800292 (I62V) in the complement factor H (CFH) gene with anterior uveitis (AU) was identified in our previous study...
- Wu R, Cui X, Dong W, Zhou M, Simms H, Wang P. Mechanisms responsible for vascular hyporesponsiveness to adrenomedullin after hemorrhage: the central role of adrenomedullin binding protein-1. Ann Surg. 2005;242:115-23 pubmed..Thus, administration of AMBP-1 in combination with AM can be useful to reduce organ injury after severe hypovolemia. ..
- Lau L, Chen S, Cheng C, Yen M, Lee F, Lin M, et al. Association of the Y402H polymorphism in complement factor H gene and neovascular age-related macular degeneration in Chinese patients. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:3242-6 pubmed..A strong association between a coding variant, Y402H, in the complement factor H gene (CFH) and AMD has been recently identified in white patients...
- Hofer J, Janecke A, Zimmerhackl L, Riedl M, Rosales A, Giner T, et al. Complement factor H-related protein 1 deficiency and factor H antibodies in pediatric patients with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:407-15 pubmed publisherThis study evaluated the relevance of complement factor H (CFH)-related protein (CFHR) 1 deficiency in pediatric patients with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS) by evaluating both the frequency of deletions in CFHR1 and the ..
- Ren G, Doshi M, Hack B, Alexander J, Quigg R. Rat glomerular epithelial cells produce and bear factor H on their surface that is up-regulated under complement attack. Kidney Int. 2003;64:914-22 pubmed..As modeled both in vitro and in vivo in the rat, factor H is up-regulated in membranous nephropathy. This is likely to be a direct response of GEC to complement attack and may represent a protective response of this cell. ..
- Alexander J, Wang Y, Chang A, Jacob A, Minto A, Karmegam M, et al. Mouse podocyte complement factor H: the functional analog to human complement receptor 1. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:1157-66 pubmedb>Complement factor H (Cfh) is a key plasma protein in humans and animals that serves to limit alternative pathway complement activation in plasma, as well as in local sites such as capillaries of the glomerulus and eye...
- Ohkohchi K, Torinuki W, Tagami H. Increased plasma concentrations of complement modulating proteins (C1 inhibitor, C4-binding protein, factor H and factor I) in psoriasis. Tohoku J Exp Med. 1988;154:315-21 pubmed..These results offer additional support for the hypothesis that the complement system is involved in psoriasis. ..
- Seddon J, Francis P, George S, Schultz D, Rosner B, Klein M. Association of CFH Y402H and LOC387715 A69S with progression of age-related macular degeneration. JAMA. 2007;297:1793-800 pubmedStudies have reported that single-nucleotide polymorphisms in the genes CFH and LOC387715 are associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Cruz González F, Cieza Borrella C, López Valverde G, Lorenzo Pérez R, Hernández Galilea E, Gonzalez Sarmiento R. CFH (rs1410996), HTRA1 (rs112000638) and ARMS2 (rs10490923) gene polymorphisms are associated with AMD risk in Spanish patients. Ophthalmic Genet. 2014;35:68-73 pubmed publisher..We investigated the association between SNPs located in CFH, ARMS2 and HTRA1 and AMD in Spanish patients...
- Raychaudhuri S, Iartchouk O, Chin K, Tan P, Tai A, Ripke S, et al. A rare penetrant mutation in CFH confers high risk of age-related macular degeneration. Nat Genet. 2011;43:1232-6 pubmed publisherTwo common variants in the gene encoding complement factor H (CFH), the Y402H substitution (rs1061170, c.1204C>T)(1-4) and the intronic rs1410996 SNP(5,6), explain 17% of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) liability...
- Ying L, Katz Y, Schlesinger M, Carmi R, Shalev H, Haider N, et al. Complement factor H gene mutation associated with autosomal recessive atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 1999;65:1538-46 pubmed..A previous report demonstrated that a dominant form of HUS maps to chromosome 1q and that complement factor H (CFH), a regulatory component of the complement system, lies within the region and is involved in the ..
- Arakawa S, Takahashi A, Ashikawa K, Hosono N, Aoi T, Yasuda M, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies two susceptibility loci for exudative age-related macular degeneration in the Japanese population. Nat Genet. 2011;43:1001-4 pubmed publisher..In addition to CFH (rs800292, P = 4.23 × 10(-15)) and ARMS2 (rs3750847, P = 8...
- Carrizo G, Wu R, Cui X, Dwivedi A, Simms H, Wang P. Adrenomedullin and adrenomedullin-binding protein-1 downregulate inflammatory cytokines and attenuate tissue injury after gut ischemia-reperfusion. Surgery. 2007;141:245-53 pubmed..Administration of AM/AMBP-1 after ischemia, however, markedly reduced cytokine levels, attenuated tissue injury, and improved survival. AM/AMBP-1 may be a novel treatment to attenuate the reperfusion injury after gut ischemia. ..