Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cav3
Description: caveolin 3
- Head B, Patel H, Roth D, Lai N, Niesman I, Farquhar M, et al. G-protein-coupled receptor signaling components localize in both sarcolemmal and intracellular caveolin-3-associated microdomains in adult cardiac myocytes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:31036-44 pubmed
- Woodman S, Park D, Cohen A, Cheung M, Chandra M, Shirani J, et al. Caveolin-3 knock-out mice develop a progressive cardiomyopathy and show hyperactivation of the p42/44 MAPK cascade. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38988-97 pubmed..Taken together, our data argue that loss of Cav-3 expression is sufficient to induce a molecular program leading to cardiac myocyte hypertrophy and cardiomyopathy. ..
- Horikawa Y, Patel H, Tsutsumi Y, Jennings M, Kidd M, Hagiwara Y, et al. Caveolin-3 expression and caveolae are required for isoflurane-induced cardiac protection from hypoxia and ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;44:123-30 pubmed..We conclude that caveolae and caveolin-3 are critical for volatile anesthetic-induced protection of the heart from ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- Tang Z, Scherer P, Okamoto T, Song K, Chu C, Kohtz D, et al. Molecular cloning of caveolin-3, a novel member of the caveolin gene family expressed predominantly in muscle. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:2255-61 pubmed..Our results also suggest that other as yet unknown caveolin family members are likely to exist and may be expressed in a regulated or tissue-specific fashion. ..
- Scriven D, Klimek A, Asghari P, Bellve K, Moore E. Caveolin-3 is adjacent to a group of extradyadic ryanodine receptors. Biophys J. 2005;89:1893-901 pubmed..Because of their location, the signaling molecules contained within these caveolae may have preferred access to the neighboring nondyadic ryanodine receptors. ..
- Venema V, Ju H, Zou R, Venema R. Interaction of neuronal nitric-oxide synthase with caveolin-3 in skeletal muscle. Identification of a novel caveolin scaffolding/inhibitory domain. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:28187-90 pubmed..Inhibitory interactions mediated by two different caveolin domains may thus be a general feature of enzyme docking to caveolin proteins in plasmalemmal caveolae. ..
- Bae J, Ki C, Kim J, Suh Y, Park M, Kim B, et al. A novel in-frame deletion in the CAV3 gene in a Korean patient with rippling muscle disease. J Neurol Sci. 2007;260:275-8 pubmed..Recently a caveolin-3 gene (CAV3) mutation was identified in patients suffering from autosomal dominant RMD...
- Sotgia F, Lee J, Das K, Bedford M, Petrucci T, Macioce P, et al. Caveolin-3 directly interacts with the C-terminal tail of beta -dystroglycan. Identification of a central WW-like domain within caveolin family members. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:38048-58 pubmed..We discuss the possible implications of our findings in the context of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. ..
- Sunada Y, Hase A, Ohi H, Hosono T, Arata S, Higuchi S, et al. Transgenic mice expressing mutant caveolin-3 show severe myopathy associated with increased nNOS activity. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:173-8 pubmed..Interestingly, we also found a great increase of nNOS activity in their skeletal muscle, which, we propose, may play a role in muscle fiber degeneration in caveolin-3 deficiency. ..
- Krasteva G, Pfeil U, Filip A, Lips K, Kummer W, Konig P. Caveolin-3 and eNOS colocalize and interact in ciliated airway epithelial cells in the rat. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2007;39:615-25 pubmed..These findings indicate that caveolin-3 is responsible to keep endothelial nitric oxide synthase in a membrane compartment in the apical region of ciliated cells. ..
- Ostrom R, Bundey R, Insel P. Nitric oxide inhibition of adenylyl cyclase type 6 activity is dependent upon lipid rafts and caveolin signaling complexes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19846-53 pubmed..Thus co-localization of multiple signaling components in lipid rafts provides key spatial regulation of AC activity. ..
- Hagiwara Y, Sasaoka T, Araishi K, Imamura M, Yorifuji H, Nonaka I, et al. Caveolin-3 deficiency causes muscle degeneration in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:3047-54 pubmed..No apparent muscle degeneration was observed in heterozygous mutant mice, indicating that pathological changes caused by caveolin-3 gene disruption were inherited through the recessive form of genetic transmission. ..
- Bendall J, Damy T, Ratajczak P, Loyer X, Monceau V, Marty I, et al. Role of myocardial neuronal nitric oxide synthase-derived nitric oxide in beta-adrenergic hyporesponsiveness after myocardial infarction-induced heart failure in rat. Circulation. 2004;110:2368-75 pubmed..These results provide the first evidence that increased NOS1-derived NO production may play a role in the autocrine regulation of myocardial contractility in HF. ..
- Kim S, Song S, Lee S, Cho K, Park J, Kwon D, et al. Altered expression of caveolin 2 and 3 in smooth muscle of rat urinary bladder by 17?-estradiol. BMC Urol. 2013;13:44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that these molecules might have functional roles in the detrusor overactivity that occurs in association with hormonal alteration. ..
- Pugh S, MacDougall D, Agarwal S, Harvey R, Porter K, Calaghan S. Caveolin contributes to the modulation of basal and Î²-adrenoceptor stimulated function of the adult rat ventricular myocyte by simvastatin: a novel pleiotropic effect. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e106905 pubmed publisher..Simvastatin treatment reduced myocyte cholesterol, caveolin 3 and caveolar density...
- Cai C, Weisleder N, Ko J, Komazaki S, Sunada Y, Nishi M, et al. Membrane repair defects in muscular dystrophy are linked to altered interaction between MG53, caveolin-3, and dysferlin. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:15894-902 pubmed publisherDefective membrane repair can contribute to the progression of muscular dystrophy. Although mutations in caveolin-3 (Cav3) and dysferlin are linked to muscular dystrophy in human patients, the molecular mechanism underlying the functional ..
- Naito D, Ogata T, Hamaoka T, Nakanishi N, Miyagawa K, Maruyama N, et al. The coiled-coil domain of MURC/cavin-4 is involved in membrane trafficking of caveolin-3 in cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015;309:H2127-36 pubmed publisher..Among caveolins, caveolin-3 (Cav3) is exclusively expressed in muscle cells, similar to MURC/cavin-4...
- Liu Y, Jin J, Qiao S, Lei S, Liao S, Ge Z, et al. Inhibition of PKCÎ²2 overexpression ameliorates myocardial ischaemia/reperfusion injury in diabetic rats via restoring caveolin-3/Akt signaling. Clin Sci (Lond). 2015;129:331-44 pubmed publisher..PKCÎ²2 inhibition with RBX protects diabetic hearts from myocardial I/R injury through Cav-3-dependent activation of Akt. ..
- Mu P, Tan Z, Cui Y, Liu H, Xu X, Huang Q, et al. 17?-Estradiol attenuates diet-induced insulin resistance and glucose intolerance through up-regulation of caveolin-3. Ir J Med Sci. 2011;180:221-7 pubmed publisher..Caveolin-3 plays an important role in the mechanism by which E(2) attenuates diet-induced glucose intolerance. ..
- Biederer C, Ries S, Moser M, Florio M, Israel M, McCormick F, et al. The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors myogenin and Id2 mediate specific induction of caveolin-3 gene expression during embryonic development. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26245-51 pubmed
- Beigi F, Oskouei B, Zheng M, Cooke C, Lamirault G, Hare J. Cardiac nitric oxide synthase-1 localization within the cardiomyocyte is accompanied by the adaptor protein, CAPON. Nitric Oxide. 2009;21:226-33 pubmed publisher..Together these findings support the hypothesis that NOS1 redistribution in injured myocardium requires the formation of a complex with the PDZ adaptor protein CAPON. ..
- Vatta M, Ackerman M, Ye B, Makielski J, Ughanze E, Taylor E, et al. Mutant caveolin-3 induces persistent late sodium current and is associated with long-QT syndrome. Circulation. 2006;114:2104-12 pubmed..chromatography, and direct DNA sequencing, we performed open reading frame/splice site mutational analysis on CAV3 in 905 unrelated patients referred for LQTS genetic testing...
- Otsu K, Toya Y, Oshikawa J, Kurotani R, Yazawa T, Sato M, et al. Caveolin gene transfer improves glucose metabolism in diabetic mice. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;298:C450-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results suggest that caveolin is an important regulator of glucose metabolism that can enhance insulin signals. ..
- Guo J, Wang T, Li X, Shallow H, Yang T, Li W, et al. Cell surface expression of human ether-a-go-go-related gene (hERG) channels is regulated by caveolin-3 protein via the ubiquitin ligase Nedd4-2. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:33132-41 pubmed..blotting, and immunocytochemical methods to investigate the effects of an integral membrane protein, caveolin-3 (Cav3) on hERG expression levels...
- Trinidad J, Cohen J. Neuregulin inhibits acetylcholine receptor aggregation in myotubes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31622-8 pubmed..We propose that this novel action of neuregulin regulates synaptic competition at the developing neuromuscular junction. ..
- Lee H, Park C, Lee S, Park J, Choi J, Ryu G, et al. Expression of caveolin-3 immunoreactivities in the developing sciatic nerve of the rat. Muscle Nerve. 2008;38:1021-6 pubmed publisher..CAV-1 and -3 might be involved in different phases of peripheral nerve myelination and play complementary roles in myelin maturation and peripheral nerve development. ..
- Koga A, Oka N, Kikuchi T, Miyazaki H, Kato S, Imaizumi T. Adenovirus-mediated overexpression of caveolin-3 inhibits rat cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. Hypertension. 2003;42:213-9 pubmed..These results suggest that caveolin-3 behaves as a negative regulator of hypertrophic responses, probably through suppression of ERK1/2 activity. ..
- Merrick D, Stadler L, Larner D, Smith J. Muscular dystrophy begins early in embryonic development deriving from stem cell loss and disrupted skeletal muscle formation. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:374-88 pubmed publisher..earlier in mdx mutants, which lack a functional form of dystrophin, than in cav-3(-/-) mutants, which lack the Cav3 gene that encodes the protein caveolin-3; this finding is consistent with the milder phenotype of LGMD-1c, a ..
- Kikuchi T, Oka N, Koga A, Miyazaki H, Ohmura H, Imaizumi T. Behavior of caveolae and caveolin-3 during the development of myocyte hypertrophy. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2005;45:204-10 pubmed..In conclusion, the number of caveolae and the expression of caveolin-3 were up-regulated in rat hypertrophied cardiomyocytes, possibly via the alterations of intracellular Ca2+ and protein kinase C. ..
- Chen Z, Qi Y, Gao C. Cardiac myocyte-protective effect of microRNA-22 during ischemia and reperfusion through disrupting the caveolin-3/eNOS signaling. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:4614-26 pubmed..Further RT-PCR results demonstrated that Caveolin 3 (Cav3), an upstream negative regulator of eNOS, was upregulated during H/R, resulting in a decrease of p-eNOS...
- Shin T, Kim H, Jin J, Moon C, Ahn M, Tanuma N, et al. Expression of caveolin-1, -2, and -3 in the spinal cords of Lewis rats with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;165:11-20 pubmed..Taking all the findings into consideration, we postulate that the expression levels of each caveolin begin to increase when EAE is initiated, possibly contributing to the modulation of signal transduction pathways in the affected cells. ..
- Augustus A, Buchanan J, Addya S, Rengo G, Pestell R, Fortina P, et al. Substrate uptake and metabolism are preserved in hypertrophic caveolin-3 knockout hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H657-66 pubmed publisherCaveolin-3 (Cav3), the primary protein component of caveolae in muscle cells, regulates numerous signaling pathways including insulin receptor signaling and facilitates free fatty acid (FA) uptake by interacting with several FA transport ..
- Kamishima T, Burdyga T, Gallagher J, Quayle J. Caveolin-1 and caveolin-3 regulate Ca2+ homeostasis of single smooth muscle cells from rat cerebral resistance arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H204-14 pubmed..Our results suggest that caveolin-1 and caveolin-3 are important in Ca(2+) removal of resistance artery smooth muscle cells. ..
- Koneru S, Penumathsa S, Thirunavukkarasu M, Samuel S, Zhan L, Han Z, et al. Redox regulation of ischemic preconditioning is mediated by the differential activation of caveolins and their association with eNOS and GLUT-4. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H2060-72 pubmed
- Jeong K, Kwon H, Min C, Pak Y. Modulation of the caveolin-3 localization to caveolae and STAT3 to mitochondria by catecholamine-induced cardiac hypertrophy in H9c2 cardiomyoblasts. Exp Mol Med. 2009;41:226-35 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the alterations in nuclear and mitochondrial activation of STAT3 and caveolae localization of caveolin-3 are related to the development of the catecholamine-induced cardiac hypertrophy. ..
- Lowalekar S, Cristofaro V, Radisavljevic Z, Yalla S, Sullivan M. Loss of bladder smooth muscle caveolae in the aging bladder. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31:586-92 pubmed publisher..Since bladder dysfunctions are common in the elderly, we evaluated the effect of aging on the morphology of caveolae and caveolin protein expression in BSM...
- Arza P, Netti V, Perosi F, Cernadas G, Ochoa F, Magnani N, et al. Involvement of nitric oxide and caveolins in the age-associated functional and structural changes in a heart under osmotic stress. Biomed Pharmacother. 2015;69:380-7 pubmed publisher..Functional alterations are induced by the aging process as well as hypovolemic state. ..
- Volonte D, Peoples A, Galbiati F. Modulation of myoblast fusion by caveolin-3 in dystrophic skeletal muscle cells: implications for Duchenne muscular dystrophy and limb-girdle muscular dystrophy-1C. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4075-88 pubmed..Taken together, these results propose caveolin-3 as a key player in myoblast fusion and suggest that defects of the fusion process may represent additional molecular mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of DMD and LGMD-1C in humans. ..
- Yarbrough T, Lu T, Lee H, Shibata E. Localization of cardiac sodium channels in caveolin-rich membrane domains: regulation of sodium current amplitude. Circ Res. 2002;90:443-9 pubmed..These results suggest that stimulation of beta-adrenergic receptors, and thereby Galpha(s), promotes the presentation of cardiac sodium channels associated with caveolar membranes to the sarcolemma. ..
- Silva W, Maldonado H, Velazquez G, Rubio Dávila M, Miranda J, Aquino E, et al. Caveolin isoform expression during differentiation of C6 glioma cells. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2005;23:599-612 pubmed..The findings reveal a differential temporal pattern of caveolin gene expression during phenotypic differentiation of C6 glioma cells, with potential implications to developmental and degenerative events in the brain. ..
- Uehara K, Miyoshi M. Localization of caveolin-3 in the sinus endothelial cells of the rat spleen. Cell Tissue Res. 2002;307:329-36 pubmed..It is speculated that caveolae in sinus endothelial cells play an important role in the constriction of stress fibers. ..
- Patel H, Head B, Petersen H, Niesman I, Huang D, Gross G, et al. Protection of adult rat cardiac myocytes from ischemic cell death: role of caveolar microdomains and delta-opioid receptors. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;291:H344-50 pubmed..These findings suggest a key role for caveolae, perhaps through enrichment of signaling molecules, in contributing to protection of cardiac myocytes from ischemic damage. ..
- Rybin V, Grabham P, Elouardighi H, Steinberg S. Caveolae-associated proteins in cardiomyocytes: caveolin-2 expression and interactions with caveolin-3. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;285:H325-32 pubmed
- Sotgia F, Casimiro M, Bonuccelli G, Liu M, Whitaker Menezes D, Er O, et al. Loss of caveolin-3 induces a lactogenic microenvironment that is protective against mammary tumor formation. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:613-29 pubmed publisher..Our current studies have broad implications for using the lactogenic microenvironment as a paradigm to discover new therapies for the prevention and/or treatment of human breast cancers. ..
- Nader M, Alotaibi S, Alsolme E, Khalil B, Abu Zaid A, Alsomali R, et al. Cardiac striatin interacts with caveolin-3 and calmodulin in a calcium sensitive manner and regulates cardiomyocyte spontaneous contraction rate. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2017;95:1306-1312 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data delineate a novel role for STRN in regulating cardiomyocyte spontaneous contraction rate and the dynamics of the STRN/Cav-3/CaM complex. ..
- Minamisawa S, Oshikawa J, Takeshima H, Hoshijima M, Wang Y, Chien K, et al. Junctophilin type 2 is associated with caveolin-3 and is down-regulated in the hypertrophic and dilated cardiomyopathies. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;325:852-6 pubmed..The expression levels of JP-2 may be associated with the development of T-tubules and impaired Ca(2+)-induced Ca(2+) release in the heart. ..
- Ralston E, Ploug T. Caveolin-3 is associated with the T-tubules of mature skeletal muscle fibers. Exp Cell Res. 1999;246:510-5 pubmed..In neither domain of the muscle surface does caveolin-3 colocalize with the glucose transporter GLUT4 and there is no evidence for internalization of the caveolae in muscle. ..
- Wang X, Abdel Rahman A. Estrogen modulation of eNOS activity and its association with caveolin-3 and calmodulin in rat hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2002;282:H2309-15 pubmed..Our findings may help to elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying the favorable effects of estrogen on cardiac responses to baroreflex activation. ..
- Galbiati F, Engelman J, Volonte D, Zhang X, Minetti C, Li M, et al. Caveolin-3 null mice show a loss of caveolae, changes in the microdomain distribution of the dystrophin-glycoprotein complex, and t-tubule abnormalities. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:21425-33 pubmed..e. a caveolin-3 deficiency. Here, we created a caveolin-3 null (CAV3 -/-) mouse model, using standard homologous recombination techniques, to mimic a caveolin-3 deficiency...
- Schubert W, Sotgia F, Cohen A, Capozza F, Bonuccelli G, Bruno C, et al. Caveolin-1(-/-)- and caveolin-2(-/-)-deficient mice both display numerous skeletal muscle abnormalities, with tubular aggregate formation. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:316-33 pubmed..Consistent with this hypothesis, skeletal muscle isolated from male Cav-3(-/-) mice did not show any of these abnormalities. As such, this is the first study linking stem cells with the genesis of these intriguing muscle defects. ..
- Stoppani E, Rossi S, Meacci E, Penna F, Costelli P, Bellucci A, et al. Point mutated caveolin-3 form (P104L) impairs myoblast differentiation via Akt and p38 signalling reduction, leading to an immature cell signature. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1812:468-79 pubmed publisherUnbalanced levels of caveolin-3 (Cav3) are involved in muscular disorders. In the present study we show that differentiation of immortalized myoblasts is affected by either lack or overexpression of Cav3...
- Kawabe J, Okumura S, Nathanson M, Hasebe N, Ishikawa Y. Caveolin regulates microtubule polymerization in the vascular smooth muscle cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;342:164-9 pubmed..Accordingly, it is most likely that caveolin increased the polymer form of microtubule through the inhibition of a microtubule destabilizer, stathmin, suggesting a novel role of caveolin in regulating cellular network and trafficking. ..
- Yu H, Yang Z, Pan S, Yang Y, Tian J, Wang L, et al. Hypoxic preconditioning promotes the translocation of protein kinase C Îµ binding with caveolin-3 at cell membrane not mitochondrial in rat heart. Cell Cycle. 2015;14:3557-65 pubmed publisher..This regulatory mechanism may play an important role in cardioprotection. ..
- Niwano M, Nozawa Inoue K, Suzuki A, Ikeda N, Takagi R, Maeda T. Immunocytochemical localization of caveolin-3 in the synoviocytes of the rat temporomandibular joint during development. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2008;291:233-41 pubmed publisher..Our recent study on the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) revealed expressions of Cav1 and muscle-specific Cav3 in some synovial fibroblast-like type B cells with well-developed caveolae...
- Parton R, Way M, Zorzi N, Stang E. Caveolin-3 associates with developing T-tubules during muscle differentiation. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:137-54 pubmed..The results suggest that caveolin-3 transiently associates with T-tubules during development and may be involved in the early development of the T-tubule system in muscle. ..
- Jane D, Morvay L, DaSilva L, Cavallo Medved D, Sloane B, Dufresne M. Cathepsin B localizes to plasma membrane caveolae of differentiating myoblasts and is secreted in an active form at physiological pH. Biol Chem. 2006;387:223-34 pubmed..Collectively, these studies support an association of active cathepsin B with plasma membrane caveolae and the secretion of active cathepsin B from differentiating myoblasts during myoblast fusion. ..
- Su W, Zhang Y, Zhang Q, Xu J, Zhan L, Zhu Q, et al. N-acetylcysteine attenuates myocardial dysfunction and postischemic injury by restoring caveolin-3/eNOS signaling in diabetic rats. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:146 pubmed..Hyperglycemia-induced inhibition of eNOS activity might be consequences of caveolae dysfunction and reduced Cav-3 expression. Antioxidant NAC attenuated myocardial dysfunction and myocardial I/R injury by improving Cav-3/eNOS signaling. ..
- Cronk L, Ye B, Kaku T, Tester D, Vatta M, Makielski J, et al. Novel mechanism for sudden infant death syndrome: persistent late sodium current secondary to mutations in caveolin-3. Heart Rhythm. 2007;4:161-6 pubmed..We recently established CAV3-encoded caveolin-3 as a novel LQTS-associated gene with mutations producing a gain-of-function, LQT3-like molecular/..
- Volonte D, McTiernan C, Drab M, Kasper M, Galbiati F. Caveolin-1 and caveolin-3 form heterooligomeric complexes in atrial cardiac myocytes that are required for doxorubicin-induced apoptosis. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H392-401 pubmed..Together, these results bring new insight into the functional role of caveolae and suggest that caveolin-1/caveolin-3 heterooligomeric complexes may play a key role in chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity in the atria. ..
- Alcalay Y, Hochhauser E, Kliminski V, Dick J, Zahalka M, Parnes D, et al. Popeye domain containing 1 (Popdc1/Bves) is a caveolae-associated protein involved in ischemia tolerance. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71100 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Popdc1 is a caveolae-associated protein important for the preservation of caveolae structural and functional integrity and for heart protection. ..
- Markandeya Y, Fahey J, Pluteanu F, Cribbs L, Balijepalli R. Caveolin-3 regulates protein kinase A modulation of the Ca(V)3.2 (alpha1H) T-type Ca2+ channels. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2433-44 pubmed publisher..Our findings on functional modulation of the Ca(v)3.2 channels by Cav-3 is important for understanding the compartmentalized regulation of Ca(2+) signaling during normal and pathological processes. ..
- Sun W, Hu K. Role for SUR2A in coupling cardiac K(ATP) channels to caveolin-3. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2010;25:409-18 pubmed publisher..We concluded that SUR2A is important for coupling cardiac K(ATP) channels to caveolin-3, possibly through the caveolin-3 scaffolding domain...
- Liu L, Askari A. Beta-subunit of cardiac Na+-K+-ATPase dictates the concentration of the functional enzyme in caveolae. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;291:C569-78 pubmed..Uneven distributions of alpha(1) and beta(1) in early and late endosomes of myocytes suggested different internalization routes of two subunits as a source of selective localization of active Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase in cardiac caveolae. ..
- Lal H, Verma S, Feng H, Golden H, Gerilechaogetu F, Nizamutdinov D, et al. Caveolin and ?1-integrin coordinate angiotensinogen expression in cardiac myocytes. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:436-45 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies indicate that lipid rafts/caveolae couple to Ao gene expression through a mechanism that involves ?1-integrin and the differential actions of MAP kinase family members. ..
- Smythe G, Eby J, Disatnik M, Rando T. A caveolin-3 mutant that causes limb girdle muscular dystrophy type 1C disrupts Src localization and activity and induces apoptosis in skeletal myotubes. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4739-49 pubmed
- Fecchi K, Volonte D, Hezel M, Schmeck K, Galbiati F. Spatial and temporal regulation of GLUT4 translocation by flotillin-1 and caveolin-3 in skeletal muscle cells. FASEB J. 2006;20:705-7 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that flotillin-1 and caveolin-3 may regulate muscle energy metabolism through the spatial and temporal segregation of key components of the insulin signaling. ..
- Oshikawa J, Otsu K, Toya Y, Tsunematsu T, Hankins R, Kawabe J, et al. Insulin resistance in skeletal muscles of caveolin-3-null mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12670-5 pubmed..Caveolin-3 (Cav3) is a muscle-specific subtype of caveolin, an example of a scaffolding protein found within membranes...
- Salem K, Qureshi M, Sydorenko V, Parekh K, Jayaprakash P, Iqbal T, et al. Effects of exercise training on excitation-contraction coupling and related mRNA expression in hearts of Goto-Kakizaki type 2 diabetic rats. Mol Cell Biochem. 2013;380:83-96 pubmed publisher..Gja1, Cav3 and Kcnk3 were up-regulated and Hcn2 was down-regulated in hearts of exercise trained GK compared to sedentary GK ..
- Hernandez Deviez D, Martin S, Laval S, Lo H, Cooper S, North K, et al. Aberrant dysferlin trafficking in cells lacking caveolin or expressing dystrophy mutants of caveolin-3. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:129-42 pubmedMutations in the dysferlin (DYSF) and caveolin-3 (CAV3) genes are associated with muscle disease. Dysferlin is mislocalized, by an unknown mechanism, in muscle from patients with mutations in caveolin-3 (Cav-3)...
- Alday A, Urrutia J, Gallego M, Casis O. ?1-adrenoceptors regulate only the caveolae-located subpopulation of cardiac K(V)4 channels. Channels (Austin). 2010;4:168-78 pubmed..Therefore, both groups of preassembled proteins are maintained in close proximity by caveolin-3. A different I(to) channel population localizes in non-caveolar membrane rafts and is not sensitive to ?1-adrenergic regulation. ..