Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cav2
Description: caveolin 2
- Pol A, Martin S, Fernandez M, Ferguson C, Carozzi A, Luetterforst R, et al. Dynamic and regulated association of caveolin with lipid bodies: modulation of lipid body motility and function by a dominant negative mutant. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:99-110 pubmed..We now show that the cavDGV mutant inhibits microtubule-dependent LB motility and blocks the reversal of lipid accumulation in LBs. ..
- Woodman S, Park D, Cohen A, Cheung M, Chandra M, Shirani J, et al. Caveolin-3 knock-out mice develop a progressive cardiomyopathy and show hyperactivation of the p42/44 MAPK cascade. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38988-97 pubmed..Taken together, our data argue that loss of Cav-3 expression is sufficient to induce a molecular program leading to cardiac myocyte hypertrophy and cardiomyopathy. ..
- Xue J, Chen H, Diao L, Chen X, Xia D. Expression of caveolin-1 in tongue squamous cell carcinoma by quantum dots. Eur J Histochem. 2010;54:e20 pubmed..An increased expression of Cav-1 in the stepwise carcinogenesis from NTM, HTM, TPL to PTSCC suggested that Cav-1 might be an oncogene in the development of tongue squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- de Marco M, Kremer L, Albar J, Martinez Menarguez J, Ballesta J, Garcia Lopez M, et al. BENE, a novel raft-associated protein of the MAL proteolipid family, interacts with caveolin-1 in human endothelial-like ECV304 cells. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:23009-17 pubmed..Together, these features highlight the BENE proteolipid as being an element of the machinery for raft-mediated trafficking in endothelial cells. ..
- Xia C, Liu Y, Wang P, Xue Y. Low-frequency ultrasound irradiation increases blood-tumor barrier permeability by transcellular pathway in a rat glioma model. J Mol Neurosci. 2012;48:281-90 pubmed publisher..The phosphorylation of tyrosine kinase Src, caveolin-1, caveolin-2 and up-regulation of caveolin-1 and caveolin-2 were involved in LFU-induced caveolae-mediated endocytosis. ..
- Gargalovic P, Dory L. Caveolin-1 and caveolin-2 expression in mouse macrophages. High density lipoprotein 3-stimulated secretion and a lack of significant subcellular co-localization. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:26164-70 pubmed
- Sowa G, Xie L, Xu L, Sessa W. Serine 23 and 36 phosphorylation of caveolin-2 is differentially regulated by targeting to lipid raft/caveolae and in mitotic endothelial cells. Biochemistry. 2008;47:101-11 pubmed..The latter data suggests a possible involvement of serine 36-phosphorylated caveolin-2 in modulating mitosis. ..
- Kim H, Lee T, Lee J, Ahn M, Moon C, Wie M, et al. Immunohistochemical study of caveolin-1 and -2 in the rat retina. J Vet Sci. 2006;7:101-4 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of caveolin differential expression in the retina of rats, and suggests that caveolin plays an important role in signal transduction in glial cells and neuronal cells. ..
- Lahtinen U, Honsho M, Parton R, Simons K, Verkade P. Involvement of caveolin-2 in caveolar biogenesis in MDCK cells. FEBS Lett. 2003;538:85-8 pubmed..Correspondingly, in MDCK cells over-expressing caveolin-2 the basolateral membrane exhibited an increased number of caveolae. These results indicate the involvement of caveolin-2 in caveolar biogenesis. ..
- Badaut J, Ajao D, Sorensen D, Fukuda A, Pellerin L. Caveolin expression changes in the neurovascular unit after juvenile traumatic brain injury: signs of blood-brain barrier healing?. Neuroscience. 2015;285:215-26 pubmed publisher..In parallel, we characterized the expression of three caveolin isoforms, caveolin 1 (cav-1), caveolin 2 (cav-2) and caveolin 3 (cav-3)...
- Jeong K, Kwon H, Lee J, Jang D, Pak Y. Insulin-response epigenetic activation of Egr-1 and JunB genes at the nuclear periphery by A-type lamin-associated pY19-Caveolin-2 in the inner nuclear membrane. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:3114-27 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that Cav-2 is an epigenetic regulator of histone H3 modifications, and provide novel mechanisms of insulin-response epigenetic activation at the nuclear periphery. ..
- Kim S, Song S, Lee S, Cho K, Park J, Kwon D, et al. Altered expression of caveolin 2 and 3 in smooth muscle of rat urinary bladder by 17?-estradiol. BMC Urol. 2013;13:44 pubmed publisherThe purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of estrogen alteration on the expression of caveolin 2 and 3 in rat smooth muscle of urinary bladder...
- Schubert W, Sotgia F, Cohen A, Capozza F, Bonuccelli G, Bruno C, et al. Caveolin-1(-/-)- and caveolin-2(-/-)-deficient mice both display numerous skeletal muscle abnormalities, with tubular aggregate formation. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:316-33 pubmed..Consistent with this hypothesis, skeletal muscle isolated from male Cav-3(-/-) mice did not show any of these abnormalities. As such, this is the first study linking stem cells with the genesis of these intriguing muscle defects. ..
- Ahn M, Kim H, Matsumoto Y, Shin T. Increased expression of caveolin-1 and -2 in the hearts of Lewis rats with experimental autoimmune myocarditis. Autoimmunity. 2006;39:489-95 pubmed
- Cha S, Shin S, Jung S, Kim Y, Park Y, Kwak J, et al. Evidence for Na+/Ca2+ exchanger 1 association with caveolin-1 and -2 in C6 glioma cells. IUBMB Life. 2004;56:621-7 pubmed..Considering the decrement of NCX1 activity by antisense ODNs, caveolins may play an important role in diverse of pathophysiological process of NCX1-related disorders in the body. ..
- Zaas D, Duncan M, Li G, Wright J, Abraham S. Pseudomonas invasion of type I pneumocytes is dependent on the expression and phosphorylation of caveolin-2. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4864-72 pubmed..aeruginosa to invade MLE-12 cells. In addition, the lipid raft-dependent tyrosine phosphorylation of caveolin-2 appeared to be a critical regulator of P. aeruginosa invasion. ..
- Krasteva G, Pfeil U, Drab M, Kummer W, Konig P. Caveolin-1 and -2 in airway epithelium: expression and in situ association as detected by FRET-CLSM. Respir Res. 2006;7:108 pubmed..In addition to their physiological role, they may be involved in airway infection. ..
- Sakagami H, Aoki J, Natori Y, Nishikawa K, Kakehi Y, Natori Y, et al. Biochemical and molecular characterization of a novel choline-specific glycerophosphodiester phosphodiesterase belonging to the nucleotide pyrophosphatase/phosphodiesterase family. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23084-93 pubmed..The present results suggest that NPP6 has a specific role through the hydrolysis of polyunsaturated LPC, glycerophosphorylcholine, or sphingosylphosphorylcholine in these organs. ..
- Kwon H, Lee J, Jeong K, Jang D, Pak Y. Fatty acylated caveolin-2 is a substrate of insulin receptor tyrosine kinase for insulin receptor substrate-1-directed signaling activation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:1022-34 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, fatty acylated cav-2 is a new substrate of IR tyrosine kinase, and the fatty acylation and phosphorylation of cav-2 present novel mechanisms by which insulin signaling is activated. ..
- Magga J, Kay J, Davy A, Poulton N, Robbins S, Braun J. ATP dependence of the SNARE/caveolin 1 interaction in the hippocampus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:1232-8 pubmed..While caveolin has been associated with cholesterol transport, signal transduction, and transcytosis, this study provides evidence that caveolin is also a SNARE accessory protein. ..
- Lee H, Park D, Wang X, Scherer P, Schwartz P, Lisanti M. Src-induced phosphorylation of caveolin-2 on tyrosine 19. Phospho-caveolin-2 (Tyr(P)19) is localized near focal adhesions, remains associated with lipid rafts/caveolae, but no longer forms a high molecular mass hetero-oligomer with caveolin-1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:34556-67 pubmed..Furthermore, our co-immunoprecipitation experiments show that caveolin-2 and Ras-GAP are constitutively associated in c-Src expressing NIH-3T3 cells, but not in untransfected NIH-3T3 cells. ..
- Xie L, Vo Ransdell C, Abel B, Willoughby C, Jang S, Sowa G. Caveolin-2 is a negative regulator of anti-proliferative function and signaling of transforming growth factor-? in endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;301:C1161-74 pubmed publisher..Overall, the negative regulation of TGF-? signaling and function by Cav-2 is independent of Cav-1 expression levels and is not because of changing targeting of Cav-1 protein to plasma membrane lipid raft/caveolar domains. ..
- Ohashi R, Mu H, Wang X, Yao Q, Chen C. Reverse cholesterol transport and cholesterol efflux in atherosclerosis. QJM. 2005;98:845-56 pubmed..Further research on new modifying factors for RCT and cholesterol efflux is warranted...
- Shatseva T, Lee D, Deng Z, Yang B. MicroRNA miR-199a-3p regulates cell proliferation and survival by targeting caveolin-2. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2826-36 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that MiR-199a-3p targeting of caveolin-2 might have an important role in breast cancer tumor progression, making it a potential candidate for intervention in cancer. ..
- Jasmin J, Malhotra S, Singh Dhallu M, Mercier I, Rosenbaum D, Lisanti M. Caveolin-1 deficiency increases cerebral ischemic injury. Circ Res. 2007;100:721-9 pubmed..Importantly, genetic ablation of the Cav-1 gene in mice results in increased cerebral volume of infarction. Mechanistically, Cav-1 KO ischemic brains showed impaired angiogenesis and increased apoptotic cell death. ..
- Brainard A, Miller A, Martens J, England S. Maxi-K channels localize to caveolae in human myometrium: a role for an actin-channel-caveolin complex in the regulation of myometrial smooth muscle K+ current. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005;289:C49-57 pubmed..These data indicate that the actin cytoskeleton is involved as part of a caveolar complex in the regulation of myometrial maxi-K channel function. ..
- Hunt C, Kolokoltsov A, Davey R, Maury W. The Tyro3 receptor kinase Axl enhances macropinocytosis of Zaire ebolavirus. J Virol. 2011;85:334-47 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate for the first time that Axl enhances macropinocytosis, thereby increasing productive ZEBOV entry. ..
- Madawala R, Dowland S, Poon C, Lindsay L, Murphy C. Caveolins redistribute in uterine epithelial cells during early pregnancy in the rat: an epithelial polarisation strategy?. Histochem Cell Biol. 2014;142:555-67 pubmed publisher..The localisation and expression of caveolins 1 and 2 in luminal uterine epithelium at the time of implantation suggest a role in trafficking proteins and the maintenance of a polarised epithelium. ..
- Lanciotti A, Brignone M, Camerini S, Serafini B, Macchia G, Raggi C, et al. MLC1 trafficking and membrane expression in astrocytes: role of caveolin-1 and phosphorylation. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;37:581-95 pubmed publisher..Because pathological mutations prevent MLC1 membrane expression, the identification of substances regulating MLC1 intracellular trafficking is potentially relevant for the therapy of MLC. ..
- Kim S, Pak Y. Caveolin-2 regulation of the cell cycle in response to insulin in Hirc-B fibroblast cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;330:88-96 pubmed..Taken together, we conclude that caveolin-2 positively regulates the insulin-induced cell cycle through activation of and direct interaction with ERK in Hirc-B cells. ..
- Kwak J, Kim H, Oh K, Kim D, Han K, Cha S. Co-localization and interaction of organic anion transporter 1 with caveolin-2 in rat kidney. Exp Mol Med. 2005;37:204-12 pubmed..These findings suggest that rOAT1 and caveolin-2 are co-expressed in the plasma membrane and rOAT1's function for organic compound transport is upregulated by Cav-2 in the normal physiological condition. ..
- Lowalekar S, Cristofaro V, Radisavljevic Z, Yalla S, Sullivan M. Loss of bladder smooth muscle caveolae in the aging bladder. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31:586-92 pubmed publisher..Since bladder dysfunctions are common in the elderly, we evaluated the effect of aging on the morphology of caveolae and caveolin protein expression in BSM...
- Kwon H, Jeong K, Hwang E, Park J, Pak Y. A novel domain of caveolin-2 that controls nuclear targeting: regulation of insulin-specific ERK activation and nuclear translocation by caveolin-2. J Cell Mol Med. 2011;15:888-908 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that translocation of phospho-ERK to the nuclear envelope is mediated by Ser¹?? -Val¹?? -Ser¹?? domain of cav-2 and this event is an insulin-specific action. ..
- Ludwig A, Howard G, Mendoza Topaz C, Deerinck T, Mackey M, Sandin S, et al. Molecular composition and ultrastructure of the caveolar coat complex. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001640 pubmed publisher..3D electron tomograms of the caveolar coat, labeled using cavin-MiniSOG, show that the caveolar coat is composed of repeating units of a unitary caveolar coat complex. ..
- Loomis S, Kang J, Weinreb R, Yaspan B, Cooke Bailey J, Gaasterland D, et al. Association of CAV1/CAV2 genomic variants with primary open-angle glaucoma overall and by gender and pattern of visual field loss. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:508-16 pubmed publisherThe CAV1/CAV2 (caveolin 1 and caveolin 2) genomic region previously was associated with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG), although replication among independent studies has been variable...
- Miranda P, Allaire A, Sosnik J, Visconti P. Localization of low-density detergent-resistant membrane proteins in intact and acrosome-reacted mouse sperm. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:897-904 pubmed publisher..facilitated glucose transporter 3, IZUMO, and SPAM1) and other molecules known to be enriched in membrane rafts (caveolin 2, flotillin 1, flotillin 2, and the ganglioside GM3) were selected to investigate their localization in the sperm ..
- Liu L, Askari A. Beta-subunit of cardiac Na+-K+-ATPase dictates the concentration of the functional enzyme in caveolae. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;291:C569-78 pubmed..Uneven distributions of alpha(1) and beta(1) in early and late endosomes of myocytes suggested different internalization routes of two subunits as a source of selective localization of active Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase in cardiac caveolae. ..
- Sampson L, Hayabuchi Y, Standen N, Dart C. Caveolae localize protein kinase A signaling to arterial ATP-sensitive potassium channels. Circ Res. 2004;95:1012-8 pubmed
- Rybin V, Grabham P, Elouardighi H, Steinberg S. Caveolae-associated proteins in cardiomyocytes: caveolin-2 expression and interactions with caveolin-3. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;285:H325-32 pubmed
- Kato T, Meguro A, Nomura E, Uemoto R, Nomura N, Ota M, et al. Association study of genetic variants on chromosome 7q31 with susceptibility to normal tension glaucoma in a Japanese population. Eye (Lond). 2013;27:979-83 pubmed publisherThe caveolin 1 to caveolin 2 (CAV1-CAV2) gene region on chromosome 7q31 has been reported to be associated with susceptibility to primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) and normal tension glaucoma (NTG) in previous studies...