Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Casp1
Description: caspase 1
Alias: Ice, Il1bc, caspase-1, CASP-1, IL-1 beta-converting enzyme, IL-1BC, Interleukin 1beta converting enzyme, interleukin 1, beta, convertase, interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme, p45
- Roe M, Bloxham D, White D, Ross Russell R, Tasker R, O Donnell D. Lymphocyte apoptosis in acute respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004;137:139-45 pubmed..This is a mechanism through which lymphopenia may occur and T cell memory may be altered. ..
- Zheng Y, Humphry M, Maguire J, Bennett M, Clarke M. Intracellular interleukin-1 receptor 2 binding prevents cleavage and activity of interleukin-1?, controlling necrosis-induced sterile inflammation. Immunity. 2013;38:285-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, we report a cell type-dependent process that fundamentally governs IL-1? activity postnecrosis and the mechanism allowing conditional release of this blockade. ..
- Deng C, Zang Z, Sun X, Huang X, Wang H, Wang D, et al. [Expression and significance of caspase-1 in benign hyperplastic prostate tissues]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2005;11:810-2 pubmed..01). The expression of caspase-1 is dramatically reduced in the hyperplastic prostate tissues, which indicates that the decline of caspase-1-dependent apoptosis might be involved in the progress of benign prostatic hyperplasia. ..
- Lu C, Wang Y, Furukawa K, Fu W, Ouyang X, Mattson M. Evidence that caspase-1 is a negative regulator of AMPA receptor-mediated long-term potentiation at hippocampal synapses. J Neurochem. 2006;97:1104-10 pubmed..These findings suggest that, by selectively reducing AMPA currents and calcium influx, caspase-1 functions as a negative regulator of LTP at hippocampal synapses. ..
- Ha S, Park S, Han C, Nguyen M, Kim S. Cellular adaptation to anthrax lethal toxin-induced mitochondrial cholesterol enrichment, hyperpolarization, and reactive oxygen species generation through downregulating MLN64 in macrophages. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4846-60 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates for the first time that MLN64 plays a key role in LeTx/caspase-1-induced mitochondrial dysfunction...
- Sarkar A, Duncan M, Hart J, Hertlein E, Guttridge D, Wewers M. ASC directs NF-kappaB activation by regulating receptor interacting protein-2 (RIP2) caspase-1 interactions. J Immunol. 2006;176:4979-86 pubmed..These data suggest that ASC may direct caspase-1 away from RIP2-mediated NF-kappaB activation, toward caspase-1-mediated processing of proIL-1beta by interfering with the RIP2 caspase-1 interaction. ..
- Carlson D, Maass D, White J, Sikes P, Horton J. Caspase inhibition reduces cardiac myocyte dyshomeostasis and improves cardiac contractile function after major burn injury. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007;103:323-30 pubmed..The present data suggest that signaling through myocardial caspases plays a pivotal role in burn-related myocyte sodium dyshomeostasis and myocyte inflammation, perhaps contributing to burn-related contractile dysfunction. ..
- Zhang X, Li M, Wang B, Guo M, Zhu R. Caspase-1 inhibition alleviates acute renal injury in rats with severe acute pancreatitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:10457-63 pubmed publisher..treated with saline (SAP-S, n = 18), or SAP rats treated with a caspase-1/interleukin (IL)-1?-converting-enzyme (ICE) inhibitor (SAP-I-ICE, n = 18)...
- Merkle S, Frantz S, Schön M, Bauersachs J, Buitrago M, Frost R, et al. A role for caspase-1 in heart failure. Circ Res. 2007;100:645-53 pubmed..Our findings support a functional role for caspase-1-mediated myocardial apoptosis contributing to the progression of heart failure. ..
- Winter R, Kramer A, Borkowski A, Kyprianou N. Loss of caspase-1 and caspase-3 protein expression in human prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2001;61:1227-32 pubmed..This study suggests that the pattern of caspase-1 and -3 expression in prostatic tumors may have prognostic significance in disease progression. ..
- Aries A, Whitcomb J, Shao W, Komati H, Saleh M, Nemer M. Caspase-1 cleavage of transcription factor GATA4 and regulation of cardiac cell fate. Cell Death Dis. 2014;5:e1566 pubmed publisher..The data identify a caspase-1 nuclear substrate and suggest a direct role for caspase-1 in transcriptional regulation. This mechanism may underlie the inflammation-independent action of caspase-1 in other organs. ..
- Oshikawa K, Shi F, Rakhmilevich A, Sondel P, Mahvi D, Yang N. Synergistic inhibition of tumor growth in a murine mammary adenocarcinoma model by combinational gene therapy using IL-12, pro-IL-18, and IL-1beta converting enzyme cDNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:13351-6 pubmed..here that a cancer gene therapy protocol using a combination of IL-12, pro-IL-18, and IL-1beta converting enzyme (ICE) cDNA expression vectors simultaneously delivered via gene gun can significantly augment antitumor effects, ..
- Wang X, Narayanan M, Bruey J, Rigamonti D, Cattaneo E, Reed J, et al. Protective role of Cop in Rip2/caspase-1/caspase-4-mediated HeLa cell death. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1762:742-54 pubmed..Cop, as an inhibitor of an important apical caspase cell death axis, may provide a tool for modulating pathological cell death. ..
- Ravizza T, Lucas S, Balosso S, Bernardino L, Ku G, Noe F, et al. Inactivation of caspase-1 in rodent brain: a novel anticonvulsive strategy. Epilepsia. 2006;47:1160-8 pubmed..by blocking the brain production of IL-1beta, by using selective inhibitors of interleukin-converting enzyme (ICE/caspase-1) or through caspase-1 gene deletion. Caspase-1 was selectively blocked by using pralnacasan or VX-765...
- Kayagaki N, Warming S, Lamkanfi M, Vande Walle L, Louie S, Dong J, et al. Non-canonical inflammasome activation targets caspase-11. Nature. 2011;479:117-21 pubmed publisher..This finding is important because published targeting of the Casp1 gene was done using strain 129 embryonic stem cells...
- Ravizza T, Noe F, Zardoni D, Vaghi V, Sifringer M, Vezzani A. Interleukin Converting Enzyme inhibition impairs kindling epileptogenesis in rats by blocking astrocytic IL-1beta production. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;31:327-33 pubmed publisher..We show here that the selective inhibition of Interleukin Converting Enzyme (ICE), which cleaves the biologically active form of IL-1beta using VX-765, blocks kindling development in rats by ..
- Cao Y, Gu Z, Lin F, Han R, Qin Z. Caspase-1 inhibitor Ac-YVAD-CHO attenuates quinolinic acid-induced increases in p53 and apoptosis in rat striatum. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2005;26:150-4 pubmed..Caspase-1 is involved in QA-induced p53 upregulation but not IkappaB-alpha degradation. Inhibition of caspase-1 attenuates QA-induced apoptosis in rat striatum. ..
- Izawa M, Kimura M, Yamada T, Saji M. Castration-induced expression of caspase-1 in epithelia of accessory sex organs in male rats. Asian J Androl. 2001;3:105-8 pubmed..Castration induces the expression of caspase-1 transcripts in the epithelia of ventral prostate and seminal vesicle. These observations suggest a possible role of caspase-1 in apoptosis in male accessory sex organs. ..
- Barnoy S, Kosower N. Caspase-1-induced calpastatin degradation in myoblast differentiation and fusion: cross-talk between the caspase and calpain systems. FEBS Lett. 2003;546:213-7 pubmed
- Lu A, Magupalli V, Ruan J, Yin Q, Atianand M, Vos M, et al. Unified polymerization mechanism for the assembly of ASC-dependent inflammasomes. Cell. 2014;156:1193-1206 pubmed publisher..We propose that ASC-dependent inflammasomes in both families share a unified assembly mechanism that involves two successive steps of nucleation-induced polymerization. PAPERFLICK:..
- Imeri L, Bianchi S, Opp M. Inhibition of caspase-1 in rat brain reduces spontaneous nonrapid eye movement sleep and nonrapid eye movement sleep enhancement induced by lipopolysaccharide. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R197-204 pubmed..These results, in agreement with previous evidence, support the involvement of brain IL-1beta in physiological promotion of NREM sleep and in mediating NREM sleep enhancement induced by peripheral immune challenge. ..
- Kim N, Lee H, Son E, Kwon O, Park J, Park J, et al. Hypoxic induction of caspase-11/caspase-1/interleukin-1beta in brain microglia. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2003;114:107-14 pubmed..caspase-11, which is required for the activation of caspase-1 or interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) converting enzyme (ICE)...
- Hoshino T, Okamoto M, Sakazaki Y, Kato S, Young H, Aizawa H. Role of proinflammatory cytokines IL-18 and IL-1beta in bleomycin-induced lung injury in humans and mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009;41:661-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide evidence for an important role of IL-1beta and IL-18 in chemotherapy-induced lung injury. ..
- Grzegorczyk J, Kowalski M, Pilat A, Iwaszkiewicz J. Increased apoptosis of peripheral blood mononuclear cells in patients with perennial allergic asthma/rhinitis: relation to serum markers of apoptosis. Mediators Inflamm. 2002;11:225-33 pubmed..monocytes) undergo the apoptosis and to determine relations between apoptosis and serum levels of sFas/APO-1, ICE/caspase-1 or TNF-alpha...
- Ozgocer T, Yildiz S, Elbe H, Vardi N. Endotoxin exposure and puberty in female rats: the role of nitric oxide and caspase-1 inhibition in neonates. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2015;93:603-14 pubmed publisher..NO or IL-1Î² inhibitors improved both of these parameters, suggesting that the early detrimental effects of LPS on puberty and primordial follicle pool are mediated by NO and IL-1Î². ..
- Homsi E, Janino P, de Faria J. Role of caspases on cell death, inflammation, and cell cycle in glycerol-induced acute renal failure. Kidney Int. 2006;69:1385-92 pubmed..Rats were treated with pan-caspase or selective caspase 1 and 3 inhibitors at the moment we injected glycerol...
- Chong Z, Kang J, Maiese K. AKT1 drives endothelial cell membrane asymmetry and microglial activation through Bcl-xL and caspase 1, 3, and 9. Exp Cell Res. 2004;296:196-207 pubmed..prevention of cysteine protease degradation of Bcl-x(L) that is intimately linked to the specific inhibition of caspase 1-, 3-, and 9-like activities and the modulation of mitochondrial membrane potential and cytochrome c release...
- Wlodarska M, Thaiss C, Nowarski R, Henao Mejia J, Zhang J, Brown E, et al. NLRP6 inflammasome orchestrates the colonic host-microbial interface by regulating goblet cell mucus secretion. Cell. 2014;156:1045-59 pubmed publisher..paperclip:..
- Zhang X, Zhu R, Xu W, Wan H, Lu H. Therapeutic effects of caspase-1 inhibitors on acute lung injury in experimental severe acute pancreatitis. World J Gastroenterol. 2007;13:623-7 pubmedTo assess the therapeutic effect of Caspase-1 inhibitors (ICE-I) on acute lung injury (ALI) in experimental severe acute pancreatitis (SAP)...
- Abdul Muneer P, Long M, Conte A, Santhakumar V, Pfister B. High Ca2+ Influx During Traumatic Brain Injury Leads to Caspase-1-Dependent Neuroinflammation and Cell Death. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:3964-3975 pubmed publisher..We conclude that excess IL-1? production and cell death may contribute to neuronal dysfunction and cognitive impairment associated with TBI. ..
- Li W, Guo T, Liang D, Shi X, Wei T, Kingery W, et al. The NALP1 inflammasome controls cytokine production and nociception in a rat fracture model of complex regional pain syndrome. Pain. 2009;147:277-86 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the possible importance of neuro-cutaneous signaling and innate immunity mechanisms in the development of CRPS...
- Verhoef P, Kertesy S, Lundberg K, Kahlenberg J, Dubyak G. Inhibitory effects of chloride on the activation of caspase-1, IL-1beta secretion, and cytolysis by the P2X7 receptor. J Immunol. 2005;175:7623-34 pubmed..These results suggest that under physiological conditions P2X7R are maintained in a conformationally restrained state that limits channel gating and coupling of the receptor to signaling pathways that regulate caspase-1. ..
- Solle M, Labasi J, Perregaux D, Stam E, Petrushova N, Koller B, et al. Altered cytokine production in mice lacking P2X(7) receptors. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:125-32 pubmed..Together these results demonstrate that P2X(7)R activation can provide a signal that leads to maturation and release of IL-1 beta and initiation of a cytokine cascade. ..
- Kofoed E, Vance R. Innate immune recognition of bacterial ligands by NAIPs determines inflammasome specificity. Nature. 2011;477:592-5 pubmed publisher..cytosolic multiprotein complexes that initiate innate immune responses to pathogenic microbes by activating the caspase 1 protease...
- Clark A, D Aquisto F, Gentry C, Marchand F, McMahon S, Malcangio M. Rapid co-release of interleukin 1beta and caspase 1 in spinal cord inflammation. J Neurochem. 2006;99:868-80 pubmed..inhibition of glial cell metabolism and by inhibitors of either p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) or caspase 1. LPS superfusion also induced rapid secretion of active caspase 1 and apoptosis-associated speck-like protein ..
- Lu A, Li Y, Schmidt F, Yin Q, Chen S, Fu T, et al. Molecular basis of caspase-1 polymerization and its inhibition by a new capping mechanism. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:416-25 pubmed publisher..Whereas caspase-1(CARD) uses six complementary surfaces of three types for filament assembly, INCA is defective in two of the six interfaces and thus terminates the caspase-1 filament. ..
- Raju U, Mei L, Seema S, Hina Q, Wolman S, Worsham M. Molecular classification of breast carcinoma in situ. Curr Genomics. 2006;7:523-32 pubmed..Loss of CASP1 was predictive of LCIS (n=4) with one misclassified PLCIS...
- Lamkanfi M, Denecker G, Kalai M, D hondt K, Meeus A, Declercq W, et al. INCA, a novel human caspase recruitment domain protein that inhibits interleukin-1beta generation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51729-38 pubmed..The INCA gene is located on chromosome 11q22 between the genes of COP/Pseudo-ICE and ICEBERG, two other CARD proteins that arose from caspase-1 gene duplications...
- Razmara M, Srinivasula S, Wang L, Poyet J, Geddes B, DiStefano P, et al. CARD-8 protein, a new CARD family member that regulates caspase-1 activation and apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13952-8 pubmed..human protein, CARD-8, which contains a C-terminal CARD domain with high similarity to the CARD domain of caspase-1/ICE. We demonstrate that CARD-8 interacts physically with caspase-1 and negatively regulates caspase-1-dependent IL-..
- de Rivero Vaccari J, Lotocki G, Marcillo A, Dietrich W, Keane R. A molecular platform in neurons regulates inflammation after spinal cord injury. J Neurosci. 2008;28:3404-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, rat spinal cord neurons contain a caspase-1, pro-ILbeta, and pro-IL-18 activating complex different from the human NALP1 inflammasome that constitutes an important arm of the innate CNS inflammatory response after SCI. ..
- Bhanoori M, Yellaturu C, Ghosh S, Hassid A, Jennings L, Rao G. Thiol alkylation inhibits the mitogenic effects of platelet-derived growth factor and renders it proapoptotic via activation of STATs and p53 and induction of expression of caspase1 and p21(waf1/cip1). Oncogene. 2003;22:117-30 pubmed..and activation of STATs, particularly STAT1, by thiol alkylation correlated with increased production of active caspase 1 and apoptosis in VSMC...
- Druilhe A, Srinivasula S, Razmara M, Ahmad M, Alnemri E. Regulation of IL-1beta generation by Pseudo-ICE and ICEBERG, two dominant negative caspase recruitment domain proteins. Cell Death Differ. 2001;8:649-57 pubmed..of two new human caspase recruitment domain (CARD) molecules, termed Pseudo-interleukin-1beta converting enzyme (ICE) and ICEBERG...
- Gemma C, Fister M, Hudson C, Bickford P. Improvement of memory for context by inhibition of caspase-1 in aged rats. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;22:1751-6 pubmed..Chronic infusion of a specific caspase-1 inhibitor in aged rats ameliorated age-related increases in hippocampal IL-1beta and improved memory for context. ..
- Mariathasan S, Newton K, Monack D, Vucic D, French D, Lee W, et al. Differential activation of the inflammasome by caspase-1 adaptors ASC and Ipaf. Nature. 2004;430:213-8 pubmed..Notably, cell death triggered by stimuli that engage caspase-1 was ablated in macrophages lacking either ASC or Ipaf, suggesting a coupling between the inflammatory and cell death pathways. ..
- Muehlbauer S, Lima H, Goldman D, Jacobson L, Rivera J, Goldberg M, et al. Proteasome inhibitors prevent caspase-1-mediated disease in rodents challenged with anthrax lethal toxin. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:735-43 pubmed publisher..Our studies indicate that pharmacological inhibition of NLR signaling and caspase-1 can be used to treat inflammatory diseases. ..
- Kong Q, Peterson T, Baker O, Stanley E, Camden J, Seye C, et al. Interleukin-1beta enhances nucleotide-induced and alpha-secretase-dependent amyloid precursor protein processing in rat primary cortical neurons via up-regulation of the P2Y(2) receptor. J Neurochem. 2009;109:1300-10 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that elevated levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines associated with neurodegenerative diseases, such as IL-1beta, can enhance non-amyloidogenic APP processing through up-regulation of the P2Y(2)R in neurons. ..
- Dinis Oliveira R, Sousa C, Remião F, Duarte J, Ferreira R, Sanchez Navarro A, et al. Sodium salicylate prevents paraquat-induced apoptosis in the rat lung. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;43:48-61 pubmed..NaSAL, a recently implemented antidote for PQ intoxications, proved to protect lungs from PQ-induced apoptosis. ..
- Cavailles P, Flori P, Papapietro O, Bisanz C, Lagrange D, Pilloux L, et al. A highly conserved Toxo1 haplotype directs resistance to toxoplasmosis and its associated caspase-1 dependent killing of parasite and host macrophage. PLoS Pathog. 2014;10:e1004005 pubmed publisher..These data represent new insights towards the identification of a major pathway of innate resistance to toxoplasmosis and the prediction of individual resistance. ..
- Zhang W, Wang X, Narayanan M, Zhang Y, Huo C, Reed J, et al. Fundamental role of the Rip2/caspase-1 pathway in hypoxia and ischemia-induced neuronal cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:16012-7 pubmed
- Pelegrin P, Surprenant A. Pannexin-1 mediates large pore formation and interleukin-1beta release by the ATP-gated P2X7 receptor. EMBO J. 2006;25:5071-82 pubmed
- Pelegrin P, Barroso Gutierrez C, Surprenant A. P2X7 receptor differentially couples to distinct release pathways for IL-1beta in mouse macrophage. J Immunol. 2008;180:7147-57 pubmed..None of these release responses were associated with cell damage or cytolytic effects. This provides the first direct demonstration of a distinct signaling mechanism responsible for ATP-induced release of pro-IL-1beta. ..
- Fernandes Alnemri T, Yu J, Datta P, Wu J, Alnemri E. AIM2 activates the inflammasome and cell death in response to cytoplasmic DNA. Nature. 2009;458:509-13 pubmed publisher..This study identifies AIM2 as an important inflammasome component that senses potentially dangerous cytoplasmic DNA, leading to activation of the ASC pyroptosome and caspase-1. ..
- Sifringer M, Stefovska V, Endesfelder S, Stahel P, Genz K, Dzietko M, et al. Activation of caspase-1 dependent interleukins in developmental brain trauma. Neurobiol Dis. 2007;25:614-22 pubmed..These findings indicate that IL-18 is involved in trauma-induced neuronal cell death in the immature rodent brain and might serve as a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Oh H, Kim H, Jeong H. Beneficial effects of chelidonic acid on a model of allergic rhinitis. Int Immunopharmacol. 2011;11:39-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, CA decreased the caspase-1 activity in the same nasal mucosa tissue and human mast cell line, HMC-1. Our results indicate that CA may attenuate allergic reaction by inhibition of caspase-1 activity. ..
- Flaws J, Kugu K, Trbovich A, DeSanti A, Tilly K, Hirshfield A, et al. Interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme-related proteases (IRPs) and mammalian cell death: dissociation of IRP-induced oligonucleosomal endonuclease activity from morphological apoptosis in granulosa cells of the ovarian follicle. Endocrinology. 1995;136:5042-53 pubmed..ced-3, has a number of homologs in vertebrate species, including interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta)-converting enzyme (ICE), Ich-1long, and CPP32...
- Gustavsson C, Agardh C, Hagert P, Agardh E. Inflammatory markers in nondiabetic and diabetic rat retinas exposed to ischemia followed by reperfusion. Retina. 2008;28:645-52 pubmed publisher..Intervention on lipid-based structures by omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids or statins seemed to have beneficial effects on inflammation in diabetes. ..
- Buck M, Poli V, Hunter T, Chojkier M. C/EBPbeta phosphorylation by RSK creates a functional XEXD caspase inhibitory box critical for cell survival. Mol Cell. 2001;8:807-16 pubmed..C/EBPbeta-/- and C/EBPbeta-Ala(217) stellate cells were rescued from apoptosis by the cell permeant KE(217)VD tetrapeptide or C/EBPbeta-Glu(217). ..
- Li X, Cheng W, Li J, Guo X, Guo C, Meng X, et al. Protective effect of estrogen on apoptosis in a cell culture model of Parkinson's disease. Clin Invest Med. 2008;31:E258-64 pubmed..expression of apoptosis-suppression protein Bcl-x and apoptosis-acceleration protein IL-1 beta converting enzyme (ICE) were measured...
- Keane K, Giegel D, Lipinski W, Callahan M, Shivers B. Cloning, tissue expression and regulation of rat interleukin 1 beta converting enzyme. Cytokine. 1995;7:105-10 pubmedUsing oligomer primers based on the cDNA sequence of human interleukin 1 beta converting enzyme (ICE), we have employed the RT-PCR method and rat spleen RNA to clone and sequence rat ICE...
- O SHEA E, Sanchez V, Orio L, Escobedo I, Green A, Colado M. 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine increases pro-interleukin-1beta production and caspase-1 protease activity in frontal cortex, but not in hypothalamus, of Dark Agouti rats: role of interleukin-1beta in neurotoxicity. Neuroscience. 2005;135:1095-105 pubmed
- Gamblin T, Chen F, Zambrano A, Abraha A, Lagalwar S, Guillozet A, et al. Caspase cleavage of tau: linking amyloid and neurofibrillary tangles in Alzheimer's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10032-7 pubmed
- Newman Z, Crown D, Leppla S, Moayeri M. Anthrax lethal toxin activates the inflammasome in sensitive rat macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;398:785-9 pubmed publisher..The activation of the rat Nlrp1 inflammasome is required for LT-mediated rat macrophage lysis and contributes to animal death. ..
- Lee S, Stehlik C, Reed J. Cop, a caspase recruitment domain-containing protein and inhibitor of caspase-1 activation processing. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:34495-500 pubmed..Our data indicate that COP can regulate IL-1beta secretion, implying that COP may play a role in down-regulating inflammatory responses analogous to the CARD protein ICEBERG. ..