Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cacna1e
Description: calcium voltage-gated channel subunit alpha1 E
Alias: CACHA1E, Cav2.3, voltage-dependent R-type calcium channel subunit alpha-1E, BII, RBE-II, RBE2, brain calcium channel II, calcium channel, L type, alpha-1 polypeptide, calcium channel, voltage-dependent, L type, alpha 1E subunit, calcium channel, voltage-dependent, R type, alpha 1E subunit, voltage gated calcium channel alpha1E subunit, voltage-dependent calcium channel alpha1-E subunit, voltage-gated calcium channel subunit alpha Cav2.3
- Soong T, Stea A, Hodson C, Dubel S, Vincent S, Snutch T. Structure and functional expression of a member of the low voltage-activated calcium channel family. Science. 1993;260:1133-6 pubmed
- Rijkers K, Mescheriakova J, Majoie M, Lemmens E, van Wijk X, Philippens M, et al. Polymorphisms in CACNA1E and Camk2d are associated with seizure susceptibility of Sprague-Dawley rats. Epilepsy Res. 2010;91:28-34 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that polymorphisms in calcium-related genes CACNA1E and Camk2d contribute to the individual variability in seizure susceptibility...
- Mitchell J, Larsen J, Best P. Identification of the calcium channel alpha 1E (Ca(v)2.3) isoform expressed in atrial myocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1577:17-26 pubmed..257(1998) 274]. The expression of alpha 1E in the heart occurs specifically in cardiac myocytes and not in smooth muscle or fibroblasts as demonstrated by RT-PCR performed on isolated atrial myocytes and by in situ hybridization. ..
- Joksovic P, Weiergräber M, Lee W, Struck H, Schneider T, Todorovic S. Isoflurane-sensitive presynaptic R-type calcium channels contribute to inhibitory synaptic transmission in the rat thalamus. J Neurosci. 2009;29:1434-45 pubmed publisher..Because the thalamus has a key function in processing sensory information, sleep, and cognition, modulation of its GABAergic tone by presynaptic R-type Ca(2+) channels may contribute to the clinical effects of general anesthesia. ..
- Lu Z, Pereverzev A, Liu H, Weiergräber M, Henry M, Krieger A, et al. Arrhythmia in isolated prenatal hearts after ablation of the Cav2.3 (alpha1E) subunit of voltage-gated Ca2+ channels. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2004;14:11-22 pubmed..3e as ion conducting pore stabilize a more regular heart beat in prenatal mice. ..
- Kubota M, Murakoshi T, Saegusa H, Kazuno A, Zong S, Hu Q, et al. Intact LTP and fear memory but impaired spatial memory in mice lacking Ca(v)2.3 (alpha(IE)) channel. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;282:242-8 pubmed..3-/- mice, they displayed an obvious impairment in the probe test. These results suggest that the Ca(v)2.3 channel plays some role in formation of the accurate spatial memory but not of the fear memory. ..
- Kamphuis W, Hendriksen H. Expression patterns of voltage-dependent calcium channel alpha 1 subunits (alpha 1A-alpha 1E) mRNA in rat retina. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1998;55:209-20 pubmed
- Williams M, Marubio L, Deal C, Hans M, Brust P, Philipson L, et al. Structure and functional characterization of neuronal alpha 1E calcium channel subtypes. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:22347-57 pubmed..Thus, alpha 1E-mediated Ca2+ channels appear to be a pharmacologically distinct class of voltage-activated Ca2+ channels. ..
- Yang L, Stephens G. Effects of neuropathy on high-voltage-activated Ca(2+) current in sensory neurones. Cell Calcium. 2009;46:248-56 pubmed publisher..In Ca(V)2.3(-/-) mice, PSNL-induced changes in Ca(V)1 and Ca(V)2.2 Ca(2+) current, consistent with alternative adaptive mechanisms occurring in the absence of Ca(V)2.3 subunits. ..
- Weiergräber M, Henry M, Radhakrishnan K, Hescheler J, Schneider T. Hippocampal seizure resistance and reduced neuronal excitotoxicity in mice lacking the Cav2.3 E/R-type voltage-gated calcium channel. J Neurophysiol. 2007;97:3660-9 pubmed..3 voltage-gated calcium channel plays a crucial role in both hippocampal ictogenesis and seizure generalization and is of central importance in neuronal degeneration after excitotoxic events. ..
- Suzuki T, Delgado Escueta A, Aguan K, Alonso M, Shi J, Hara Y, et al. Mutations in EFHC1 cause juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Nat Genet. 2004;36:842-9 pubmed..3 C terminus. In patch-clamp analysis, EFHC1 specifically increased R-type Ca(2+) currents that were reversed by the mutations associated with JME. ..
- Lin Z, Lin Y, Schorge S, Pan J, Beierlein M, Lipscombe D. Alternative splicing of a short cassette exon in alpha1B generates functionally distinct N-type calcium channels in central and peripheral neurons. J Neurosci. 1999;19:5322-31 pubmed
- Wilson S, Toth P, Oh S, Gillard S, Volsen S, Ren D, et al. The status of voltage-dependent calcium channels in alpha 1E knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2000;20:8566-71 pubmed..We conclude that there exists a component of the R current that results from the expression of the alpha(1E) Ca channel subunit but that the majority of R currents must result from the expression of other Ca channel alpha subunits. ..
- Missler M, Zhang W, Rohlmann A, Kattenstroth G, Hammer R, Gottmann K, et al. Alpha-neurexins couple Ca2+ channels to synaptic vesicle exocytosis. Nature. 2003;423:939-48 pubmed..These data suggest that alpha-neurexins organize presynaptic terminals by functionally coupling Ca2+ channels to the presynaptic machinery. ..
- Sakata Y, Saegusa H, Zong S, Osanai M, Murakoshi T, Shimizu Y, et al. Ca(v)2.3 (alpha1E) Ca2+ channel participates in the control of sperm function. FEBS Lett. 2002;516:229-33 pubmed..3-/- sperm than those in Ca(v)2.3+/+ sperm. These results suggest that the Ca(v)2.3 channel plays some roles in Ca2+ transients and the control of flagellar movement. ..
- Zhang Q, Bengtsson M, Partridge C, Salehi A, Braun M, Cox R, et al. R-type Ca(2+)-channel-evoked CICR regulates glucose-induced somatostatin secretion. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:453-60 pubmed..Glucose-induced somatostatin secretion is instead primarily dependent on Ca(2+)-induced Ca(2+)-release (CICR). This constitutes a novel mechanism for K(ATP)-channel-independent metabolic control of pancreatic hormone secretion. ..
- Cens T, Rousset M, Kajava A, Charnet P. Molecular determinant for specific Ca/Ba selectivity profiles of low and high threshold Ca2+ channels. J Gen Physiol. 2007;130:415-25 pubmed..These data therefore attribute to the DCS a unique role in the specific shaping of the Ca(2+) influx between the different HVA channels...
- Latour I, Hamid J, Beedle A, Zamponi G, MacVicar B. Expression of voltage-gated Ca2+ channel subtypes in cultured astrocytes. Glia. 2003;41:347-53 pubmed..Overall, our data indicate that astrocytes express multiple types of voltage-gated Ca(2+) channels, hinting at a complex regulation of Ca(2+) homeostasis in glial cells. ..
- Saegusa H, Matsuda Y, Tanabe T. Effects of ablation of N- and R-type Ca(2+) channels on pain transmission. Neurosci Res. 2002;43:1-7 pubmed..3-/- mice, was also observed in the Ca(v)2.2-/- mice. Therefore, it is suggested that these mutant mice could provide novel models to delineate the nociceptive and antinociceptive mechanisms. ..
- Pereverzev A, Mikhna M, Vajna R, Gissel C, Henry M, Weiergräber M, et al. Disturbances in glucose-tolerance, insulin-release, and stress-induced hyperglycemia upon disruption of the Ca(v)2.3 (alpha 1E) subunit of voltage-gated Ca(2+) channels. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:884-95 pubmed..3-deficient mice has dual components related to endocrine and neurological defects. The present findings provide direct evidence of a functional role for the Ca(v)2.3 subunit in hormone secretion and glucose homeostasis. ..
- Lee S, Choi S, Lee T, Kim H, Chin H, Shin H. Molecular basis of R-type calcium channels in central amygdala neurons of the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:3276-81 pubmed..These latter findings imply a possible role of alpha1E-based R-type Ca2+ currents in amygdala physiology associated with fear. ..