Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Bsn
Description: bassoon (presynaptic cytomatrix protein)
Alias: Znf231, protein bassoon, neuronal double zinc finger protein, zinc finger protein 231
- Koike C, Obara T, Uriu Y, Numata T, Sanuki R, Miyata K, et al. TRPM1 is a component of the retinal ON bipolar cell transduction channel in the mGluR6 cascade. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:332-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that TRPM1-L is a component of the ON BC transduction channel downstream of mGluR6 in ON BCs. ..
- Jellali A, Stussi Garaud C, Gasnier B, Rendon A, Sahel J, Dreyfus H, et al. Cellular localization of the vesicular inhibitory amino acid transporter in the mouse and human retina. J Comp Neurol. 2002;449:76-87 pubmed..VIAAT localization in mouse and human horizontal cells further support the role of inhibitory transmitters in lateral inhibition at the photoreceptor terminals. ..
- Herrera Molina R, Sarto Jackson I, Montenegro Venegas C, Heine M, Smalla K, Seidenbecher C, et al. Structure of excitatory synapses and GABAA receptor localization at inhibitory synapses are regulated by neuroplastin-65. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:8973-88 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Np65 is an important regulator of the number and function of synapses in the hippocampus. ..
- Schr der M, Stellmacher A, Romorini S, Marini C, Montenegro Venegas C, Altrock W, et al. Regulation of presynaptic anchoring of the scaffold protein Bassoon by phosphorylation-dependent interaction with 14-3-3 adaptor proteins. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58814 pubmed publisher..This regulation mechanism might participate in molecular and structural presynaptic remodeling during synaptic plasticity...
- Ko J, Zhang C, Arac D, Boucard A, Brunger A, Sudhof T. Neuroligin-1 performs neurexin-dependent and neurexin-independent functions in synapse validation. EMBO J. 2009;28:3244-55 pubmed publisher..Thus, neuroligin-1 performs diverse synaptic functions by mechanisms that include as essential components of alpha-neurexin binding and neuroligin dimerization, but extend beyond these activities. ..
- Kneussel M, Haverkamp S, Fuhrmann J, Wang H, Wassle H, Olsen R, et al. The gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptor (GABAAR)-associated protein GABARAP interacts with gephyrin but is not involved in receptor anchoring at the synapse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:8594-9 pubmed..Consistent with this idea, a close homolog of GABARAP, p16, has been found to function as a late-acting intra-Golgi transport factor. ..
- Ivanova D, Dirks A, Montenegro Venegas C, SchÃ¶ne C, Altrock W, Marini C, et al. Synaptic activity controls localization and function of CtBP1 via binding to Bassoon and Piccolo. EMBO J. 2015;34:1056-77 pubmed publisher..Our combined results reveal a mechanism for coupling activity-induced molecular rearrangements in the presynapse with reconfiguration of neuronal gene expression. ..
- Dondzillo A, Sätzler K, Horstmann H, Altrock W, Gundelfinger E, Kuner T. Targeted three-dimensional immunohistochemistry reveals localization of presynaptic proteins Bassoon and Piccolo in the rat calyx of Held before and after the onset of hearing. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1008-29 pubmed publisher..Normalized to calyx volume at P9 and P21, the density of clusters was similar, suggesting that the absolute number of clusters, not density, may contribute to the functional maturation associated with hearing onset. ..
- Waites C, Leal Ortiz S, Okerlund N, Dalke H, Fejtova A, Altrock W, et al. Bassoon and Piccolo maintain synapse integrity by regulating protein ubiquitination and degradation. EMBO J. 2013;32:954-69 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a novel role for Bassoon and Piccolo as critical regulators of presynaptic ubiquitination and proteostasis. ..
- Khidekel N, Ficarro S, Peters E, Hsieh Wilson L. Exploring the O-GlcNAc proteome: direct identification of O-GlcNAc-modified proteins from the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:13132-7 pubmed..Moreover, the chemoenzymatic strategy described here should prove valuable for identifying O-GlcNAc-modified proteins in various tissues and facilitate studies of the physiological significance of O-GlcNAc across the proteome. ..
- Yoshida T, Yasumura M, Uemura T, Lee S, Ra M, Taguchi R, et al. IL-1 receptor accessory protein-like 1 associated with mental retardation and autism mediates synapse formation by trans-synaptic interaction with protein tyrosine phosphatase ?. J Neurosci. 2011;31:13485-99 pubmed publisher..in cultured cortical neurons suppressed the accumulation of punctate staining signals for active zone protein Bassoon and decreased the number of dendritic protrusions...
- Dani A, Huang B, BERGAN J, Dulac C, Zhuang X. Superresolution imaging of chemical synapses in the brain. Neuron. 2010;68:843-56 pubmed publisher..Combination with optogenetics further allowed molecular events associated with synaptic plasticity to be resolved at the single-synapse level. ..
- Burkhardt C, Müller M, Badde A, Garner C, Gundelfinger E, Püschel A. Semaphorin 4B interacts with the post-synaptic density protein PSD-95/SAP90 and is recruited to synapses through a C-terminal PDZ-binding motif. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3821-8 pubmed..Sema4B co-localizes with PSD-95 at synaptic contacts between cultured hippocampal neurons. This synaptic localization depends on the presence of the PDZ-binding motif. ..
- Limbach C, Laue M, Wang X, Hu B, Thiede N, Hultqvist G, et al. Molecular in situ topology of Aczonin/Piccolo and associated proteins at the mammalian neurotransmitter release site. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E392-401 pubmed publisher..At both conventional and ribbon synapses, CAST, Munc13, and RIM are segregated from Aczonin, closer to the PM, and Aczonin is positioned such that it may control the access of neurotransmitter vesicles to the fusion site. ..
- Du H, Grob S, Zhao L, Lee J, El Sahn M, Hughes G, et al. Myotonia congenita with strabismus in a large family with a mutation in the SCN4A gene. Eye (Lond). 2012;26:1039-43 pubmed publisher..We found significant ocular involvement in a family with a mutation in SCN4A. Future studies may confirm that MC with significant ocular involvement can be used to direct genetic analysis. ..
- Nishimune H, Numata T, Chen J, Aoki Y, Wang Y, Starr M, et al. Active zone protein Bassoon co-localizes with presynaptic calcium channel, modifies channel function, and recovers from aging related loss by exercise. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38029 pubmed publisher..to active zones in rodent NMJs, and the functional modification of VDCCs by the interaction with active zone protein Bassoon remain unknown...
- Joo J, Lee S, Uemura T, Yoshida T, Yasumura M, Watanabe M, et al. Differential interactions of cerebellin precursor protein (Cbln) subtypes and neurexin variants for synapse formation of cortical neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;406:627-32 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Cbln subtypes exert synaptogenic activities in cortical neurons by differentially interacting with NRXN variants containing S4. ..
- Bamji S, Shimazu K, Kimes N, Huelsken J, Birchmeier W, Lu B, et al. Role of beta-catenin in synaptic vesicle localization and presynaptic assembly. Neuron. 2003;40:719-31 pubmed..This study defines a specific role for cadherins and catenins in synapse organization beyond their roles in mediating cell adhesion. ..
- Popiolek M, Ross J, Charych E, Chanda P, Gundelfinger E, Moss S, et al. D-amino acid oxidase activity is inhibited by an interaction with bassoon protein at the presynaptic active zone. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28867-75 pubmed publisher..The most robust interactions occurred with known components of the presynaptic active zone, such as bassoon (BSN) and piccolo (PCLO)...