Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Brn3a
Description: POU class 4 homeobox 1
Alias: Brn3a, brn-3A, POU domain, class 4, transcription factor 1, LOW QUALITY PROTEIN: POU domain, class 4, transcription factor 1, brain-3A, brain-specific homeobox/POU domain protein 3A
- Budhram Mahadeo V, Parker M, Latchman D. POU transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b interact with the estrogen receptor and differentially regulate transcriptional activity via an estrogen response element. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1029-41 pubmed..These observations and their implications for transcriptional regulation by the ER are discussed. ..
- Budhram Mahadeo V, Morris P, Lakin N, Dawson S, Latchman D. The different activities of the two activation domains of the Brn-3a transcription factor are dependent on the context of the binding site. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:9108-13 pubmed
- Budhram Mahadeo V, Moore A, Morris P, Ward T, Weber B, Sassone Corsi P, et al. The closely related POU family transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b are expressed in distinct cell types in the testis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2001;33:1027-39 pubmed..Hence, as observed in neuronal cells, Brn-3a and Brn-3b may play distinct and important functional roles in the regulation of gene expression during germ cell development. ..
- Zhang L, Wahlin K, Li Y, Masuda T, Yang Z, Zack D, et al. RIT2, a neuron-specific small guanosine triphosphatase, is expressed in retinal neuronal cells and its promoter is modulated by the POU4 transcription factors. Mol Vis. 2013;19:1371-86 pubmed
- Chang W, Xie H, Chen X. [Effect of prenatal lead exposure on the gene transcription and protein expression level of POU-domain protein Brn-3a in different regions of offspring rat brain]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2008;37:385-8 pubmed..The results showed that lead-exposure might interfere the normal model of Brn-3a protein expression, so it interfered the differentiation of neuronal cells. ..
- Hudson C, Sayan A, Melino G, Knight R, Latchman D, Budhram Mahadeo V. Brn-3a/POU4F1 interacts with and differentially affects p73-mediated transcription. Cell Death Differ. 2008;15:1266-78 pubmed publisher..Thus, the physical interaction of Brn-3a with specific p73 isoforms will be critical for determining cell fate during neuronal development or in injured neurons expressing both factors. ..
- Lanier J, Quina L, Eng S, Cox E, Turner E. Brn3a target gene recognition in embryonic sensory neurons. Dev Biol. 2007;302:703-16 pubmed..We have previously identified 85 genes with changed expression in the trigeminal ganglia of mice lacking Brn3a, a transcription factor encoded by the Pou4f1 gene...
- Wiggins A, Wei G, Doxakis E, Wong C, Tang A, Zang K, et al. Interaction of Brn3a and HIPK2 mediates transcriptional repression of sensory neuron survival. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:257-67 pubmedThe Pit1-Oct1-Unc86 domain (POU domain) transcription factor Brn3a controls sensory neuron survival by regulating the expression of Trk receptors and members of the Bcl-2 family...
- Dykes I, Tempest L, Lee S, Turner E. Brn3a and Islet1 act epistatically to regulate the gene expression program of sensory differentiation. J Neurosci. 2011;31:9789-99 pubmed publisher..of the trigeminal ganglion (TG) and dorsal root ganglia (DRG) coexpress the homeodomain transcription factors Brn3a and Islet1, and past work has revealed partially overlapping programs of gene expression downstream of these ..
- SCHULZE SPATE U, Battaglino R, Fu J, Sharma A, Vokes M, Stashenko P. Brn3 transcription factors control terminal osteoclastogenesis. J Cell Biochem. 2007;102:1-12 pubmed..RANKL stimulation induces expression of Brn3a and b and maximal transcriptional activity of Brn3 family members concurrent with osteoclastic giant cell ..
- Berwick D, Diss J, Budhram Mahadeo V, Latchman D. A simple technique for the prediction of interacting proteins reveals a direct Brn-3a-androgen receptor interaction. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:15286-95 pubmed publisher..7, leading to a synergistic increase in its expression. Thus, these data define AR as a direct Brn-3a interactor and verify a simple interacting protein prediction methodology that is likely to be useful for many other proteins. ..
- Chang W, Wu Q, An S, Chen J. [Effect of rat prenatal lead exposure on the gene transcription level of POU-domain protein Brn-3a of offspring brain]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2007;36:660-3 pubmed..It might participate in the neurological toxicity as a transcription regular factor damaging the learning and memory ability induced by lead. ..
- Budhram Mahadeo V, Bowen S, Lee S, Perez Sanchez C, Ensor E, Morris P, et al. Brn-3b enhances the pro-apoptotic effects of p53 but not its induction of cell cycle arrest by cooperating in trans-activation of bax expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:6640-52 pubmed..Thus, the ability of Brn-3b to interact with p53 and modulate Bax expression may demonstrate an important mechanism that helps to determine the fate of cells when p53 is induced. ..
- Li S, Xiang M. Barhl1 is required for maintenance of a large population of neurons in the zonal layer of the superior colliculus. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2260-5 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Barhl1 is crucially required for the survival but not for the specification of zonal layer neurons in the superior colliculus. ..
- Sánchez Migallón M, Nadal Nicolás F, Jiménez López M, Sobrado Calvo P, Vidal Sanz M, Agudo Barriuso M. Brain derived neurotrophic factor maintains Brn3a expression in axotomized rat retinal ganglion cells. Exp Eye Res. 2011;92:260-7 pubmed publisherThe transcription factor Brn3a has been reported to be a good marker for adult rat retinal ganglion cells in control and injured retinas...
- Beckerman R, Prives C. Transcriptional regulation by p53. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2010;2:a000935 pubmed publisher..How p53 is able to discriminate between these different loci is the subject of intense research. Here, we describe key aspects of the fundamentals of p53-mediated transcriptional regulation and target gene promoter selectivity. ..
- GarcÃa Ayuso D, Di Pierdomenico J, Esquiva G, Nadal NicolÃ¡s F, Pinilla I, Cuenca N, et al. Inherited Photoreceptor Degeneration Causes the Death of Melanopsin-Positive Retinal Ganglion Cells and Increases Their Coexpression of Brn3a. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:4592-604 pubmed publisher..and Sprague Dawley (SD) rats (control) were dissected as whole-mounts and immunodetected for melanopsin and/or Brn3a. The dendritic arborization of m+RGCs and the numbers of Brn3a+RGCs and m+RGCs were quantified and their retinal ..
- Morris P, Theil T, Ring C, Lillycrop K, Moroy T, Latchman D. The opposite and antagonistic effects of the closely related POU family transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b on the activity of a target promoter are dependent on differences in the POU domain. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:6907-14 pubmed
- Ichikawa H, Qiu F, Xiang M, Sugimoto T. Brn-3a is required for the generation of proprioceptors in the mesencephalic trigeminal tract nucleus. Brain Res. 2005;1053:203-6 pubmed..The present study suggests that Brn-3a is required for the development of proprioceptors but not motoneurons in the trigeminal nervous system. ..
- Weishaupt J, Klocker N, Bahr M. Axotomy-induced early down-regulation of POU-IV class transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b in retinal ganglion cells. J Mol Neurosci. 2005;26:17-25 pubmed
- Farooqui Kabir S, Diss J, Henderson D, Marber M, Latchman D, Budhram Mahadeo V, et al. Cardiac expression of Brn-3a and Brn-3b POU transcription factors and regulation of Hsp27 gene expression. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2008;13:297-312 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Brn-3a may be necessary for correct valve and myocardial remodelling and maturation. ..
- Theil T, McLean Hunter S, Zörnig M, Moroy T. Mouse Brn-3 family of POU transcription factors: a new aminoterminal domain is crucial for the oncogenic activity of Brn-3a. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:5921-9 pubmed..In addition, our data indicate that Brn-3b acts as an inhibitor of Brn-3a(l) activity. ..